So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

Post by Stark »

But two tone? My grandad had a two tone car. I don't want a slick, modern media device that looks like my grandads car. Just like with the later Xbox I bet they'll release a version with a less silly finish after initial manufacturing runs.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

CaptHawkeye wrote:It actually seems to lean back to the first Xbox in appearance I think.
It's designed to look like an appliance, in the trendy Bang & Olufsen style. All visual hints of gaming must be erradicated to maximise sales to the 'I just want cable TV with a Minority Report interface' demographic. This was the long-term Microsoft strategy from the inception of the Xbox division.

Obviously Microsoft spent a fair whack of budget on Kinect 2.0 which is why their specs are somewhat poorer than the PS4, but the difference will probably just be fractionally more upscaling and slightly more texture pop-in, not enough for most gamers to notice. Xbox Live continues to look better but Sony is catching up and has the major advantage (to most buyers) of being subscription free. Also Microsoft is confirmed as blocking second-hand games (although you can buy a license), Sony will not, big win for the budget gaming segment (I don't think Microsoft have said what they'll do about game rentals yet).

The big unknowns are still how Microsoft and Sony will be treating third party developers and indie games in this round, Microsoft was leading until recently but has essentially pissed all goodwill in both areas down the toilet recently, while Sony has been getting much better.
Stark wrote:But two tone? My grandad had a two tone car. I don't want a slick, modern media device that looks like my grandads car.
Who cares, you'll buy it anyway, you're locked into Xbox Live. Microsoft targets the marginal customer which might well be your grandad ('get your TV with simple voice commands, no fiddly remote and incomprehensible program guide').
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

No backwards compat = no lock in. This isn't a mobile phone platform.

And MS revised the elite design because piano finish obviously dumb; it jus helps to be as crazy and noticable at first to drive buzz.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/
Individual games will be tied to Xbox Live accounts, Microsoft said, meaning that the software giant can detect whether a game has been sold to a retailer and repurchased, or handed from one friend to another. In such instances, the second user must pay a fee.

"On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play," a Microsoft representative told Wired.

The company added that, once discs are installed on the hard drive, games can be played without a disc being in the tray.

The Wired article then elaborates: "What follows naturally from this is that each disc would have to be tied to a unique Xbox Live account, else you could take a single disc and pass it between everyone you know and copy the game over and over. Since this is clearly not going to happen, each disc must then only install for a single owner."

It added: "Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc."

Microsoft did not disclose what the second-user fee would amount too, and did not clarify further on the matter.

The article claims that there is no sweeping 'always-online' requirement for future Xbox One games.

Update: Jon Hicks, the editor of Official Xbox magazine, has claimed that pre-owned games will be un-installed from the previous owner's system and installed onto another's. It is not clear if this process would negate a pre-owned fee. [TWEET]: "On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install."

Update 2: Microsoft has neither confirmed nor denied the report in a statement offered to Venturebeat.

"We are designing the Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games," a Microsoft spokesperson said, adding: "We'll have more details to share later".

The comment effectively means that the claim regarding a pre-owned fee is not inaccurate.
JADAFETWA
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

All I want to know is if I can use my account to control ownership from someone else's console and how this fee compares to the games on demand price.

But it's a lol how people are trying to justify all the baseless hysteria. :v
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

No disc required? Sold.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How big is the second hand/rental market for consoles ?

Because, with Sony allowing second hand sales and Microsoft not, I can't see anyone who rents or buys second hand going with the Xbox One.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Oh yeah. That's something I didn't think about. How are they going to allow for rentals with this new install system? I know nobody goes to blockbuster anymore, but Gamefly is still thriving,so people are renting games.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

If you wanna rent you have to pay the second hand fee.

Heh it suddenly dawns on me why EA came out last week proclaiming they would stop using online passes.. it's because the bloody box does it for them, Sneaky bastards.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Ownership is still transferable. That's why I ask if it can be done remotely or is only done by deleting the game.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So if you're installing everything and don't need the disc, how long will that 500 GB drive last you? I mean BD discs can have at least 25GB a pop, so assuming they actually use that (or more with dual layer) that's roughly...20 games before HD space becomes an issue?

Unless they shift a lot more to the Cloud, of course. EDIT: In which case you get Always Online which seems to be a sore spot for some.

I wonder how the TV thing will work. Since most (if not all) US cable providers route everything through their own set top boxes these days anyway, does that mean MS is hoping that it'll be compatible with those? Or are they aiming higher to replace those boxes? Because I wonder how far they'll get with that, as I don't see much incentive for the cable companies to go along here.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stark wrote:Ownership is still transferable. That's why I ask if it can be done remotely or is only done by deleting the game.
Speaking of that I wonder if that fee they're talking about (assuming it materializes) will fly in the EU. Didn't they have a thing about that regarding Steam?
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Stark wrote:Ownership is still transferable. That's why I ask if it can be done remotely or is only done by deleting the game.
It sounds like the second person pays the fee for the used game, then the game gets removed from the first console. Meaning remote uninstall.
RogueIce wrote:
Speaking of that I wonder if that fee they're talking about (assuming it materializes) will fly in the EU. Didn't they have a thing about that regarding Steam?
I don't think the fee will be a problem as the EU thing was only a problem when the software couldn't be sold second hand at all. The fee still allows for second hand sales, so it should be good.

Edit: Though until Valve gets either a guilty verdict from the courts or announces a settlement, I'm not sure if blocking second hand sales completely is a problem.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

RogueIce wrote:So if you're installing everything and don't need the disc, how long will that 500 GB drive last you? I mean BD discs can have at least 25GB a pop, so assuming they actually use that (or more with dual layer) that's roughly...20 games before HD space becomes an issue?

Unless they shift a lot more to the Cloud, of course. EDIT: In which case you get Always Online which seems to be a sore spot for some.
500 GB might end up just being the base model, with bigger versions or upgrades available, like they did with the 360.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

RogueIce wrote:So if you're installing everything and don't need the disc, how long will that 500 GB drive last you? I mean BD discs can have at least 25GB a pop, so assuming they actually use that (or more with dual layer) that's roughly...20 games before HD space becomes an issue?

I wonder how the TV thing will work. Since most (if not all) US cable providers route everything through their own set top boxes these days anyway, does that mean MS is hoping that it'll be compatible with those? Or are they aiming higher to replace those boxes? Because I wonder how far they'll get with that, as I don't see much incentive for the cable companies to go along here.
The Xbox One has been confirmed to having a non removable hard drive But you can hock up a external drive.

Souce
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Or people can just learn to uninstall games when they are done with them.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

bilateralrope wrote:
Or people can just learn to uninstall games when they are done with them.
That doesn't sound very convenient. And define "done with them" please. There are some people who may want to go back to older games for whatever reason without needing to uninstall something else and then reinstall, or fuck around with an external HD.

Now granted it is a trade-off with those who enjoy not having to fuck around with discs beyond the initial install, so there's that. And you can use an external HD if it comes to that, and hopefully it won't be too clunky to use. I suppose we'll find out how it works in practice once the console comes out and enough new games enter circulation for it to be an issue.

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said...
Wow people are gonna be happy about that :D

Souce
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Stark wrote:Uninstalling also allows fee free resale. :v
I doubt it. If uninstalling did let people avoid the used game fee, then MS will lose out on a lot of revenue. Since the second hand fee is a blatant revenue grab, letting people avoid the fee doesn't make any sense.
RogueIce wrote:That doesn't sound very convenient. And define "done with them" please. There are some people who may want to go back to older games for whatever reason without needing to uninstall something else and then reinstall, or fuck around with an external HD.
If Microsoft make the reinstall painless, reinstalling older games when you want to go back to them shouldn't be a problem.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Oh, god, this is priceless!

http://kotaku.com/so-the-xbox-one-revea ... -509179256
Kotaku wrote...

In preparing the big reveal for the next Xbox, it seems Microsoft forgot all about how the current one works, because reports from Twitter show that a lot of people ran into problems today when they tried to watch the show on their Xbox 360.

It seems that for some folks, every time an executive said something like "Xbox" or "Xbox Live", those with a Kinect experienced issues like having the stream paused or being kicked out of it altogether, because they're the same terms the peripheral uses for its voice commands.
PR Nightmares... now better with Kinect! :D
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

And the usual funny highlight can be found Here if you need to sum up the reveal.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Since it backfilters the audio, doesn't sound real plausible to me. I can watch a movie which features people saying things like STOP just fine.

I mean I know I'm just nobody and Kotaku is an entirely authoritative source with a history of not making shit up ever, but still.