Diablo 3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Diablo 3

Post by weemadando »

Stark wrote:I'd be pretty wary of believing anything that is clearly nerd rage motivated. My understanding of the setup is that in SP it should just be authenticating, and even if you're in an empty MP game the host shouldn't see lag anyway.
Yeah, my primary suspicion was "are you sure you're not trying to run this on your Windows ME" box, more than anything else.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Minischoles wrote:I love how they still haven't learnt from the launch of 3 expansions of WoW and SC2 - login servers are all over the place, especially grateful for this as they have every battle.net login going through the same servers.
I think you simply underestimate the challenge it is to have everything running with the sudden humongous spike in traffic when a new game of theirs launches. Especially since the amount of traffic rapidly dwindles afterwards. Is there even any example of humongous launches of games/media/whatever going off without a hitch?
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The spike is one of their own devising, though. It's this obsession with a to-the-minute launch window across many time zones at once. Launch it at midnight local, everywhere, and you'll get some people jumping the gun via VPNs and shit, but who cares? The important thing is that the majority, the people who can't even spell VPN, are staggered in nice, hour-long packets, rather than bumrushing the login servers all at once.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

weemadando wrote:I've been reading some reports of getting lag in SP games. I want to believe these are incorrect as surely Blizzard wouldn't have been that incompetent with the way they implemented the netcode.
For Blizzard to be confident enough about the item generation rates for the real money auction house to be viable, they need to make sure that all the gameplay code can't be hacked to give someone an advantage. Which means putting it on the server, since any code running on the client can and will be hacked. The only things the client is left with is telling the server what you want to attempt and rendering the result.

So after Blizzard decided they wanted the real money auction house, the only option they had to prevent SP games lagging is to allow people to create characters that could never go online. Which they decided against.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Well give it enough time and it is like possible that the server side code may be hacked. I mean thats what happened with Runescape, people managed to replicate the server and there are third party designed servers out there now. Now Blizzards developers are lot more advanced than some tiny MMOs crew but given the money involved I think some real pros could be taking a look at this.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The environment and motive already exists in WOW. I'd say Blozzard are pretty confident.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

White Haven wrote:The spike is one of their own devising, though. It's this obsession with a to-the-minute launch window across many time zones at once. Launch it at midnight local, everywhere, and you'll get some people jumping the gun via VPNs and shit, but who cares? The important thing is that the majority, the people who can't even spell VPN, are staggered in nice, hour-long packets, rather than bumrushing the login servers all at once.
Yeah, but then you have the same nerds screaming about the unfair advantage that people in Japan, South Korea, and Europe have over those poor Americans. Just look at the screeching that happens with every patch for WoW introducing new content. The only ones who get a bit hurt by the spike are die-hard fans. They'll complain no matter what. Sucks to be them.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Following two hours of "Ctrl+V and Error 37", we finally got a game going with friends.

It's a fun game. It's fun to punch monsters, and I like being able to tool with my spells as needed.

Although the party limit of four is fucking baffling.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

If you're going to do a simultaneous worlwide release, you'd think the obvious solution would be to activate everything once it turns midnight at the international date line, instead of in America.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Gandalf wrote:Although the party limit of four is fucking baffling.
Not really. It's IIRC the limit in Diablo 1. D2 doubled it to 8, and all it really did was make monsters way more powerful but partying up way more chaotic and unmanageable.

Keeping it to four makes everything smoother so you're not overloaded with too many guys onscreen. It might also have something to do with how the server stuff works, four players in a particular instance being easier to manage I guess than having eight. That said, expect to see the PvP arena content released in the future, which would by necessity increase the number of people in a game to at least six (3v3) or possibly eight (4v4).
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

An eventual console release may also be a factor, since four player support is still the norm for the current generation of split-screen multiplayer.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

DesertFly wrote:An eventual console release may also be a factor, since four player support is still the norm for the current generation of split-screen multiplayer.
I feel like it's transferred to 2-player splitscreen for the most part. 4 player splitscreen is actually pretty rare I find.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

And nobody would play D3 4p split screen anyway. Even 2p dynamic split might bad depending on how long engagement range is.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Game is pretty fun, but Belial is a mf to beat.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Here's some hilarity: the auction house is game breakingly hilarious. People can sell shitty end game weapons to mid level dudes, making the campaign a breeze.

Spending ages looking for chipped gems? Go buy a flawless one for less than 1000 gold.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

There are a lot of those small things I like: no more carrying around those town portal and identify scrolls and mercs are free. I also like the crafting/recovery addition.

I do miss the quick weapon swap from Diablo 2 though.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So apparently, Blizz has decided sunday is a good day for unannounced server maintenance.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
DireApostasy
Redshirt

Post by DireApostasy »

Thanas wrote:So apparently, Blizz has decided sunday is a good day for unannounced server maintenance.
And apparently are using a vastly different server setup for Europe compared to Asia and the US, given the EU server is the only one still down after 4+ hours.
Victory and Death are the twin sons of War ~ Saint Sabbat
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

close to six hours.

Great business decision there, Blizz. After all, it is not like sunday is the only real free day of the week for many in Europe....
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Trolling: doing it right
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

What is the appeal of this game? It seems like everyone everywhere who plays online games is at least trying it, but isn't it just a dungeon crawler with massive name recognition? Help me out here. What does D3 offer that makes it appeal to you?

Also, they're avoiding piracy by storing a significant amount of data like monster spawns, monster drops, etc. server-side right? So very little is available within the client itself? Or is it just character data and little else?
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Of course it is just a dungeon crawler. Just like any FPS is the same, right?

When it runs, it is fun. The story so far (only up to act II) is serviceable, haven't encountered any bugs yet (big plus) and the game is just fun of you running around and killing stuff. There is very little unnecessary clutter - for example they made normal weapons be worthless, which eliminates the "run back to town to sell stuff" need.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've not been able to try it yet as my PC is broken and won't run any games newer then DOW, but as a rule of thumb, if you expect all your games to have some new and revolutionary feature or something like that, Blizzard games aren't really for you as they rarely if ever have those but what they do is make really fun games from tried and true methods.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
HeadCreeps
Padawan Learner

Post by HeadCreeps »

Lord Revan wrote:I've not been able to try it yet as my PC is broken and won't run any games newer then DOW, but as a rule of thumb, if you expect all your games to have some new and revolutionary feature or something like that, Blizzard games aren't really for you as they rarely if ever have those but what they do is make really fun games from tried and true methods.
No. I'm asking because this game is surprising me with its popularity in spite of the type of game it is, as did Diablo 2. I'm looking and wondering what it is that makes it so popular, and all I'm coming up with is name recognition and name branding and the social pressure to play that comes with it. People who don't even like dungeon crawlers are playing Diablo 3. This basically contrasts Starcraft II, which as far as I know, still only appealed to people who would generally like a strategy or a sci fi title. Completely anecdotal.
Hindsight is 24/7.
[/size]
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

It's an enjoyable game - when you can actually get online. Server has been down more than it's been up and maintenance on a sunday is absolutely fantastic. And still getting Error 37 after the servers apparently are up and running.

It'd be nice if Blizzard had actually learnt from the past four huge game launches they've had.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll