Any tips on building a computer?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Any tips on building a computer?

Post by TheFeniX »

phongn wrote:
TheFeniX wrote: Still considering that RAM drive though considering how much data transferring SWTOR does constantly.
Shouldn't you just get more RAM and see if Windows is smart enough to figure out what to cache?
I have 10GBs right now (it what my PC came with) and SWTOR still uses my HDD for a buffet. By reading posts/articles from people who seem to know more than me, the SWTOR version of the hero engine is prone to just dumping shitloads of data out of RAM then recopying it for no reason. Supposedly, this is why opening any window (like your inventory) causes actual graphical lag: it's because when you close it, SWTOR just dumps everything out of RAM and has to reload it all when you open it again. Contrast to WoW, where opening your inventory the first time you log in might give you a stutter, but afterward you can spam "B" with no ill effects.

Like I said, this is from people who claim to know more about programming than I do. So, take from it what you will.

But if the OP is going for 16GBs of RAM (and $110 isn't a bad price in that regard) he could RAM drive loads of stuff. I haven't messed with it personally since like.... Windows 98. I'm considering playing with it again, but I have no games/programs that would really utilize it (broken code aside).