COD: Black Ops

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: COD: Black Ops

Post by Stark »

Yeah, but CS didn't have the persistent levelling that modern games have; it was just 'everyone starts with $200 and goes from there'. These days, people like the MMO-lite aspect of unlocking better guns to use in later sessions, etc. In Blops you earn 'monies' to buy guns and upgrades and shit, which carry over.
TC Pilot
Jedi Council Member

Post by TC Pilot »

Well, I borrowed it from a friend, and my X-Box doesn't have internet access, so I was stuck with just playing the single player, and I pretty much gave up during the first Vietnam mission. It was fun to riff all the stupid shit with my friend around, but aside from the unintentional humor, there's really nothing even mildly appealing about this game.

It's almost startling how downright bland a game this hyperactive can be.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Yeah, but CS didn't have the persistent levelling that modern games have; it was just 'everyone starts with $200 and goes from there'.
800 dollars, you fool.

I saw a preview for homefront on GT the other day, they said "the unique spin on multiplayer is "Battle points", which you earn from killing enemies and you can use to buy better weapons and equipment during the match."

My eyes nearly rolled out the back of my head.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Its a server setting, dumbcunt.

And since Homefront is a soulless rehash of Modern Warfare, its not surprising. I watched the 'world of Homefront' trailer yesterday at Los' urging, and its hilarioius watching hyperventilating fatties tell you how totally plausible the yellow horde plotline really is.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The incidental dialogue is definitely worth a chuckle. I'm stuck on the early stages as JFK, and some of those lines are really quite amusing

My biggest complaint withit is that, like so many games these days, it's aimed at multiplayer, with the campaign almost being a justification for the new game. This is especially true of games the are either made for consoles and ported to Pc, or made for both
1. Learn how to use periods.

2. Borderlands kindly invites you to get stuffed. A 40+ hour SP campaign with hardly a multiplayer mode in sight until they tacked on some DLC. If you're finding that FPS games have too much multi maybe you should stop playing shit games.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

800 dollars is standard, shitstain.

I thought MW2 took home the cake for "least plausible storyline in a shooter", what with its nonsensical Red Dawn rehashing and the utterly hilarious bit where one man hijacks a russian missile sub by himself, programs and launches a nuclear missile without any launch codes (presumably he ripped the codes out of the Russian officers brains with his bare hands) and detonates it in orbit to give the Americans an advantage.

But then Homefront has a Reunified Korea being ruled by the North (what?), Japan spontaneously surrendering to them for no reason, every country in the world being hit by an oil price collapse except the Koreans (for some reason), and an invasion of the United States that NATO just kind of lets happen.

Codblops is pretty funny too though, with its Manchurian candidate meets The Rock plotline.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Let's all pretend for a minute that Kaos studios isn't just a bunch of over rated modders who got in waaaaay over their heads with professional development. :lol:

I played Blops for a little bit and their is really nothing to say about it. It doesn't even deserve the pleasure of getting ragged on. It's just...there. It's so obvious a cash-in that making fun of it would be pathetic.
Best care anywhere.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

It's Modern Warfare 2: Part 2 - mild improvement. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same engine, with Treyarch listening to the whine from MW2, throwing that shit out, and making millions off what is essentially a giant patch.
The Single player campaign is short and stupid, and the Multi has exactly the same problems as MW2, and added a few more due to the pretty horrible map design - Nuketown and Jungle are some of the worst maps created for ANY game ever, let alone a COD game - combined with keeping shit like the chopper gun in the game.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

What? Jungle is awesome and Nuketown is actually somewhat original. The nade spam can get silly there, but that's half the fun.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:What? Jungle is awesome and Nuketown is actually somewhat original. The nade spam can get silly there, but that's half the fun.
Jungle is terrible, it's got absolutely zero cover, so whatever team has the most idiots on will lose as they feed the other team a huey, and the huey gets 20+ kills. Nuketown isn't original, it's basically the ship map from COD4 - tiny, and is almost constant grenade spam and people spraying. Not to mention the spawns on Nuketown are fucking stupid - i've literally been spawned in someone's line of fire before to just die instantly.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The spawning in general doesn't seem to be very intelligent; I've seen people spawn and near-instantly die.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Woah woah. Nuketown is a good map? Seriously? A map so small you can pitch a grenade from one side to the other as soon as you spawn in? No thank you.

About the only thing they did right in Blops was get rid of that game breaking perk Stopping Power. Oops, it turns out a perk like that is a bad idea in a game where damage-per-second is the only thing that matters.
Best care anywhere.