I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by loomer »

The rules for Caravan are really simple but make exactly no sense to me.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Skill books still exist, and give you 3 points instead of 1. Comprehension still just gives you the one extra point from those books and I think it makes the magazines last twice as long. The books are rare as hell, though, I've only found one so far.

Amending my last post, Hardcore mode is worth it just because ammo now has mass, so there's no carrying about 40 guns with thousands of rounds of ammo for each one. A lot of the interface improvements are relatively seamless, like the DT indicator when you're attacking. Character animations are a lot better.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I think I can safely say they've definitely tweeked the difficulty. I got ambushed by four radscorpions at once last night (it started with one), and while I was busy trying to avoid getting gangraped four feral ghouls appeared out of nowhere and joined in on the fun of sodomizing me without lube. What the Christ. It's not like I was very far into the game either, I was on my way to Fort Mojave.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Traveling at night tends to be a bad idea. Nightstalkers might come and rape you to death.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Traveling at night tends to be a bad idea. Nightstalkers might come and rape you to death.
I was traveling in the daytime. :?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

General Zod wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:Traveling at night tends to be a bad idea. Nightstalkers might come and rape you to death.
I was traveling in the daytime. :?
Oh, you said last night, and so I thought you meant in-game, for some reason. Still! It's good advice. :P
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Skill books still exist, and give you 3 points instead of 1. Comprehension still just gives you the one extra point from those books and I think it makes the magazines last twice as long. The books are rare as hell, though, I've only found one so far.

Amending my last post, Hardcore mode is worth it just because ammo now has mass, so there's no carrying about 40 guns with thousands of rounds of ammo for each one. A lot of the interface improvements are relatively seamless, like the DT indicator when you're attacking. Character animations are a lot better.
According to the Fallout wiki, there are 3 books for Explosives and 4 books for every other skill, for 51 total books. There are 213 magazines.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Interestingly with only that many you are getting at max 12-16(9-12) extra points and that is if you hunt every single book down. Ouch.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Certainly a step down from "max out every skill with a starting Int of 3", which you could do in F3.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Vendetta wrote:Certainly a step down from "max out every skill with a starting Int of 3", which you could do in F3.
Especially that thought, which is a good thing.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Books do show up. No idea on Bobbleheads.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SirNitram wrote:Books do show up. No idea on Bobbleheads.
There's no Bobbleheads this game. They've been replaced with Snowglobes instead, which don't give you any kind of real bonus. But you can sell them for 2000 caps apiece to Mr. House in Vegas.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

SirNitram wrote:Books do show up. No idea on Bobbleheads.
There are replaced by chip enhancements...kinda. They don't give free bonuses as much as they give +1 and a couple extra bits, but at the cost of whether or not do you have enough ENDurance.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Has anyone saw the alien at the beginning of the game? I picked Wild Wasteland and it is supposed to show up at the doc's house.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:Has anyone saw the alien at the beginning of the game? I picked Wild Wasteland and it is supposed to show up at the doc's house.
I picked the Wild Wasteland too, but so far I haven't noticed anything exceedingly strange or out of the ordinary. (Aside from getting gangraped by a bunch of radscorpions and feral ghouls all at once, mind you.)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I've discovered two appearance in the starting locations alone. One is a bit obscure and unintelligible to anyone not a regular at the Something Awful forums and the other... well, let's just say its something that SHOULD have happened. :D
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Regardless of anything else, Beth should be congratulated for actually including simple game-changing options as tick boxes. Who knew it was that easy to please everyone?

We did. But anyway, it should be encouraged in future.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Stark wrote:Regardless of anything else, Beth should be congratulated for actually including simple game-changing options as tick boxes. Who knew it was that easy to please everyone?

Obsidian developed New Vegas, not Bethesda.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I have to admit though, it's starting to get to the point where I don't want to talk to any NPCs without names. They all say the same damn thing and it's like I'm playing an 8-bit NES game again.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Bakustra wrote:
Stark wrote:Regardless of anything else, Beth should be congratulated for actually including simple game-changing options as tick boxes. Who knew it was that easy to please everyone?

Obsidian developed New Vegas, not Bethesda.
You know, those Alpha Protocol dudes. Not that I blame him, since it's not on the front of the box and barely mentioned anywhere that it's an Obsidian game.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

General Zod wrote:I have to admit though, it's starting to get to the point where I don't want to talk to any NPCs without names. They all say the same damn thing and it's like I'm playing an 8-bit NES game again.
The fact that an NPC doesn't have an actual name is a good clue in any RPG that they are not worth talking to :P
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Vympel wrote:
General Zod wrote:I have to admit though, it's starting to get to the point where I don't want to talk to any NPCs without names. They all say the same damn thing and it's like I'm playing an 8-bit NES game again.
The fact that an NPC doesn't have an actual name is a good clue in any RPG that they are not worth talking to :P
At least ass effect had the sensibilities to not give them any talking lines at all. :P
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Ooo. NCR two-way emergency radio. For summoning reinforcements. Apparently, they like me alot.

Also, dear Christ does guns from Gun Runners cost alot. They're awesome, but I don't have thousands of caps!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

At least the Gun Runners sell Primers for all ammo types, which is one of the harder items to scavenge.

I'm really starting to dislike the Legion. The decimation of Nipton made me wish I could slaughter every last one of the smug bastards. (Nit tells me it wasn't decimation, as only one out of ten survived.)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet