Go go gadget iPad

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Re: Go go gadget iPad

Post by Sarevok »

How does the iPad compare to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800 which came out in 2007 ? The N800 can also supports many netbook linux variants so it can run many desktop PC software.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Jason L. Miles wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if that price point is real and Apple is smart in the marketing, they are going to sell a lot to schools.

Combining VNC and a price point that is the same as a wireless tablet, you could deal with the people who are unable to learn to use the graphing tablets.

This is independent of any of the theoretical textbook possibilities.
In the district where I work, I can tell you that there are a couple of things Apple would have to address:

- Does iPad support wireless authentication, like PEAP? Control over who is allowed access to the wireless network is important.

- What will the price be for an accidental damage protection plan? Because we don't want to hand out devices that each cost several hundred dollars without some sort of assurance that we won't have to pay to replace them thanks to Johnny Butterfingers.

- Is there any way to disable built-in apps like iTunes and Youtube so that kids aren't A) fucking around all the time, B) consuming all of our internet bandwidth? Because yeah a few kids or even a classroom full of the little bastards won't necessarily be able to monopolize our internet connection (although there are some districts for whom this might be the case), but get several classroom sets going at the same time and you might have an issue with excessive use.

Also I could see some teachers getting frustrated when the shitball websites their textbook publishers put online as "supplemental material" (or whatever the fuck its called) fail on iPad because it doesn't support Flash. Double LOL if Apple implements Flash Player and some sites still fuck up because they depend on Shockwave Player (god I hate everything about education software, it's like they try to make the worst shit).
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

I'll address these points independantly:
Uraniun235 wrote: In the district where I work, I can tell you that there are a couple of things Apple would have to address:

- Does iPad support wireless authentication, like PEAP? Control over who is allowed access to the wireless network is important.
iPhone software 2.0 and greater does, so I would assume that the iPad does as well.
- What will the price be for an accidental damage protection plan? Because we don't want to hand out devices that each cost several hundred dollars without some sort of assurance that we won't have to pay to replace them thanks to Johnny Butterfingers.
Agreed. Although we're having discussions at our district about the wisdom of ADPs versus setting aside a percentage of the purchase price for replacements/repairs. The numbers for PCs are compelling.

Also, I don't yet envision it in the hands of students, more as an airliner replacement. At some point in the future, if Apple manages to do what so far neither Barnes & Noble or Amazon have - get the textbook publishers to move to some kind of sane model - maybe we can do the 1-to-1 thing with it, but thats years away at best. I'm reacting to the fact that I cannot get the five airliners I have on my campus used, the teachers complain about the learning curve.
- Is there any way to disable built-in apps like iTunes and Youtube so that kids aren't A) fucking around all the time, B) consuming all of our internet bandwidth? Because yeah a few kids or even a classroom full of the little bastards won't necessarily be able to monopolize our internet connection (although there are some districts for whom this might be the case), but get several classroom sets going at the same time and you might have an issue with excessive use.
Once again, I have no idea, but I know that the iPhone/iPods are manageable, and I would assume Apple would continue this functionality.

As for how good the management is, I have no idea, not having any deployments of school owned iPods to experiment with.

EDIT:
iPhone Enterprise Deployment Guide wrote:Restrictions Settings
Use this payload to specify which device features the user is allowed to use.
  • Allow explicit content: When this is turned off, explicit music or video content
    purchased from the iTunes Store is hidden. Explicit content is marked as such by
    content providers, such as record labels, when sold through the iTunes Store.
  • Allow use of Safari: When this option is turned off, the Safari web browser application
    is disabled and its icon removed from the Home screen. This also prevents users from
    opening web clips.
  • Allow use of YouTube: When this option is turned off, the YouTube application is
    disabled and its icon is removed from the Home screen.
  • Allow use of iTunes Music Store: When this option is turned off, the iTunes Music Store is disabled and its icon is removed from the Home screen. Users cannot preview, purchase, or download content.

• Allow installing apps: When this option is turned off, the App Store is disabled and its
    icon is removed from the Home screen. Users are unable to install or update their
    applications.
  • Allow use of camera: When this option is turned off, the camera is completely
    disabled and its icon is removed from the Home screen. Users are unable to take
    photographs.
  • Allow screen capture: When this option is turned off, users are unable to save a
    screenshot of the display.
Also I could see some teachers getting frustrated when the shitball websites their textbook publishers put online as "supplemental material" (or whatever the fuck its called) fail on iPad because it doesn't support Flash. Double LOL if Apple implements Flash Player and some sites still fuck up because they depend on Shockwave Player (god I hate everything about education software, it's like they try to make the worst shit).
Once again, I don't yet see this as a student device, I see it as a more teacher-friendly airliner. The price point is either the same or just a little above. There WILL be a VNC client for iPad, and that can be used to remote control the teacher's desktop.

As for idiotic education software, Glencoe's Biology book from last year managed to fuck up PDF.
Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

Superboy wrote:

That said, you brought up my biggest problem with the iPad and iPhone. Since they lack any USB ports or card readers, you're forced to use iTunes to transfer any data at all. I can't stand iTunes and hate having to use it. These devices would be far more useful and easy to use if they could at least be plugged into a computer and read as a standard data storage device with folders for video, pictures and music that can be drag-and-dropped into.
Actually there's dongles to attach a camera or sd memory card. I also suspect you will see some one make a pen for the iPad (there is one for the iPhone/Touch, it probably will work). As has been stated this thing isn't a laptop replacement, it's an accessory to a desktop or luggable notebook like the 15"+ notebooks (my 13" mbp is too small to bother with the iPad, neat as it is). One thing you can do is use remote access on the iPad to control your desktop and run any apps from your couch.

This gadget is perfect for my dad, he's retired, travels a fair bit.
May you live in interesting times.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

If nothing else, I hope it helps 10" IPS screens gain some of economy of scale and we will see them installed on the nicer netbooks and tablets.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lisa wrote:I also suspect you will see some one make a pen for the iPad (there is one for the iPhone/Touch, it probably will work).
How's it work? I've tried my iPAQ stylus on my dad's iPhone several times out of frustration to no avail. :?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Lisa wrote:I also suspect you will see some one make a pen for the iPad (there is one for the iPhone/Touch, it probably will work).
How's it work? I've tried my iPAQ stylus on my dad's iPhone several times out of frustration to no avail. :?
I guess you have to buy something that is endorsed by Apple for it to work for their own products.
My FLICKR page! :D
Remember, people, commas are your friends. Love them, embrace them, cherish them, and for crying out loud, USE them.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Lisa wrote:
Actually there's dongles to attach a camera or sd memory card.

Oh boy, proprietary ports! Yippee!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

generator_g1 wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:
I guess you have to buy something that is endorsed by Apple for it to work for their own products.
Thing with that is, well, a few things;
1. The iPhone would have to be programmed to not pick up small tactile input.
2. The iPhone would have to have provisions to ignore this in the case of the proprietary stylus.

The former certainly appears to be the case. If the latter is also the case, well, they're selling it with hardware features that are unusable out of the box. :|
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
generator_g1 wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:How's it work? I've tried my iPAQ stylus on my dad's iPhone several times out of frustration to no avail. :?
Thing with that is, well, a few things;
1. The iPhone would have to be programmed to not pick up small tactile input.
2. The iPhone would have to have provisions to ignore this in the case of the proprietary stylus.
Neither. The iPhone uses a capacitive, not resistive, touchscreen. It does not recognize pressure (which is how the iPaq's stylus works). You need a capacitive stylus.
Lonestar wrote:Oh boy, proprietary ports! Yippee!
The iPad speaks Bluetooth 2.1 and the dock connector has USB pins on it.
Ypoknons wrote:If nothing else, I hope it helps 10" IPS screens gain some of economy of scale and we will see them installed on the nicer netbooks and tablets.
Nicer netbooks nothing, I'd hope to see IPS displays on any laptop. I hate TN displays.
Sarevok wrote:How does the iPad compare to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800 which came out in 2007 ? The N800 can also supports many netbook linux variants so it can run many desktop PC software.
The iPad is significantly faster (1GHz ARM (A8? A9? Custom?) vs 400MHz ARM11), has more storage, more RAM, higher resolution, better touchscreen (capacitive vs. resistive), better screen (IPS vs TN) faster wireless , 3D acceleration, etc.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I wonder if Fujistu will pursue legal action against Apple, seeing how they have had a product called the iPAD since 2002.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

[R_H] wrote:I wonder if Fujistu will pursue legal action against Apple, seeing how they have had a product called the iPAD since 2002.
You rang?
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

phongn wrote:
[R_H] wrote:I wonder if Fujistu will pursue legal action against Apple, seeing how they have had a product called the iPAD since 2002.
You rang?
Ah, thanks. I was reading through an article on the iPad, and in it they mentioned that Fujitsu was calling attorneys and what not.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Lonestar wrote:
Lisa wrote:
Actually there's dongles to attach a camera or sd memory card.

Oh boy, proprietary ports! Yippee!
Apple insisting on using their own proprietary bullshit that no one else wants to or is even allowed to use? Unthinkable!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Apple insisting on using their own proprietary bullshit that no one else wants to or is even allowed to use? Unthinkable!
People want to use the Dock Connector.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

phongn wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:Apple insisting on using their own proprietary bullshit that no one else wants to or is even allowed to use? Unthinkable!
No, they don't. They have to if they want to actually be able to use the ipod, but the rest of my little electronic devices all use the same cord since they amazingly enough all have mini-usb ports, instead of everyone deciding they want to have proprietary fucking everything like Apple.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

phongn wrote:
Based on what? It's not like Apple gauges customer interest on something before releasing a product, and for the most part you don't really have a choice with Apple.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Insomuch as it is a fairly convenient way of actually docking something (which was more important when iPods actually came with a dock!) or having more extensive functionality without requiring a huge number of discrete openings in the case. Furthermore, it comes with a DC<->USB-A cable anyways! It's not like Apple put a connector on that will only work with their own computers.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

phongn wrote:Nicer netbooks nothing, I'd hope to see IPS displays on any laptop. I hate TN displays.
The RGB LED on my XPS Studio 16 helps with the color gamut, not the viewing angles though. A U2410 is en-route to me, in any case.
phongn wrote:
Sarevok wrote:How does the iPad compare to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N800 which came out in 2007 ? The N800 can also supports many netbook linux variants so it can run many desktop PC software.
The iPad is significantly faster (1GHz ARM (A8? A9? Custom?) vs 400MHz ARM11), has more storage, more RAM, higher resolution, better touchscreen (capacitive vs. resistive), better screen (IPS vs TN) faster wireless , 3D acceleration, etc.
The iPad's big app store is a big deal. Sure, the iPhone has most of the applications as well, but compared to the N800 or its descendant N900 there's no Kindle reader or any other e-book store, no great office suite option... Beyond the hardware, I don't really think there's anything running less than full-blown Windows or Mac OS that rivals the iPad in software applications.

iPad does support Bluetooth keyboards (per Engadget). I'd rather use that and a kickstand rather than a dock, I think, but we will see. Still, even a keyboard won't fix no multi-tasking, so this is a long way from a work device as it is. I can't justify getting the device for school, so I'm forced to pass for now.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I like the tablet idea, although the iPad is definitly a product before it's time.... it's still too early technologically to work practically I think, as opposed to being a tech-toy for early adopters. But I think the concept has potential. I wouldn't mind some pad-like device that would work as computer/notes block/phone (possibly with video)/camera/etc, one device to do all the possible things you'd need in every day life, just keep it in a messenger back with your other everyday stuff.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

His Divine Shadow wrote:I like the tablet idea, although the iPad is definitly a product before it's time.... it's still too early technologically to work practically I think, as opposed to being a tech-toy for early adopters. But I think the concept has potential. I wouldn't mind some pad-like device that would work as computer/notes block/phone (possibly with video)/camera/etc, one device to do all the possible things you'd need in every day life, just keep it in a messenger back with your other everyday stuff.
I agree with that, but at the same time Apple could have done better even with 1st gen. Multi-tasking, even limited multi-tasking, would have made a big difference towards being an everyday device, and it's not impossible hardware-wise (see the feats the Pre Plus and N900 have been pulling off).

I guess, from my business point of view, the iPad is a product meant to shape a future market, like Chrome OS or Android, so that Apple can have a stake in the market's baby steps in line with its own interests, much like how Chrome OS will come out in an environment too early for cloud computing. Or perhaps, shiver, we will see cloud computing and tablets come together, but I'm too much of a layman to know. The difficulty with these products is that they might come out too long before the market takes off, or the implementation is too far off - like the Microsoft's Tablet PC, early Windows Mobile phones and of course Apple's Newton.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Ypoknons wrote: The iPad's big app store is a big deal. Sure, the iPhone has most of the applications as well, but compared to the N800 or its descendant N900 there's no Kindle reader or any other e-book store, no great office suite option... Beyond the hardware, I don't really think there's anything running less than full-blown Windows or Mac OS that rivals the iPad in software applications.
What about the Internet tablets running Android? They have access to Android Market, which offers over 20000 (as of December 2009) applications.
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

[R_H] wrote:What about the Internet tablets running Android? They have access to Android Market, which offers over 20000 (as of December 2009) applications.
Good point, but apparently as of Jan 15 2010 the App Store has 133,979 applications. And I think it's be hard to argue that Android has that many more useful applications. Worse yet, I haven't really seen Android tablets get the same amount of polish as the iPad (both hardware-wise and software wise, do the tablets even run Android 2.1 yet?) and has the multi-touch situation been sorted out yet? Google needs to do something about that. Furthermore, Apple seems to have a better content selection available in the form of books and magazines, both Kindle and its own book store, and music and video from the iTunes store. Android does have multi-tasking, but overall I think the platform would need more polish before it can take on the tablet space, and some form of correct marketing package that informs consumers of Android's advantages. At the same time, it's not like Apple's 1st gen tablet is all that amazing, so everyone, including Google, has time.
Resinence
Jedi Knight

Post by Resinence »

I was thoroughly dissapointed with this thing, though it does look useful for people who can't stand the notion of the current batch of netbooks (desktop OS on a tiny low res screen piss off please). Besides, APP STORE, I already grabbed the ipad SDK and have started taking a look at some ideas for this device, I expect to see some good stuff - the big thing that makes this thing worthwhile is the interface, not the hardware. Touch works better for such small devices.

I'll stick to my macbook though, this thing isn't really for me, and for those people hoping for stylus/tablet support (i kinda was) sorry, might be good for drawing but with no pressure sensitivity anything with a WACOM digitizer would be about a bajillion times superior for any serious kind of work with a pen. Also stylus really suck for working on compared to tablet pens, they don't have the right feel to them, hard to explain.
“Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” - Oscar Wilde.
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Google’s ‘Don’t Be Evil’ Mantra is ‘Bullshit,’ Adobe Is Lazy: Apple’s Steve Jobs (Update 2)
After a big public announcement of the sort Apple had this week for the iPad CEO Steve Jobs often takes time in the day or two afterwards to have a Town Hall at One Infinite Loop, making himself available for questions from employees bold enough to stand up and take one right between the eyes.

This time, the big topics included Google and Adobe — no surprises there. Google recently unveiled its own Android-powered handset, the Nexus One, whose release Jan. 5 prompted Jobs to perhaps over-react by announcing on the same day that the iTunes store had served up three billion apps and that “… we see no signs of the competition catching up any time soon.” Apple’s billionth iPhone app download was greeted with great fanfare, but the two billionth not so much, so it felt a tad like Jobs was feeling some heat.

And the absence of Adobe Flash support on the iPhone for three years and counting, and now on the iPad, is either celebrated by users as a poke in the eye of one of the web’s most dextrous tools, or the most over-rated and overused crutch for decent design.

Jobs, characteristically, did not mince words as he spoke to the assembled, according to a person who was there who could not be named because this person is not authorized by Apple to speak with the press.

On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there’s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don’t be evil mantra: “It’s bullshit.” Audience roars.

About Adobe: They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

The world, of course, includes Google, which last week in a somewhat more modest development bypassed Apple’s iPhone app blockade by unveiling an html5 version of Google Voice, which takes full advantage of mobile Safari on the iPhone. Wired.com found it to be an impressive variation of the app Apple has neither approved nor officially rejected.

And it is, of course, in keeping with Google’s stated view (Android app marketplace notwithstanding) that the future is really in web-based applications and not in mobile apps at all. Web-based applications of the sort html5 makes much more viable.

So, great work rallying the troops, Steve — but be careful what you wish for.

(Update, 1/31 2:00 pm ET: In a post on macrumors.com Arnold Kim adds some more details from the Town Hall, including tough talk from Jobs about a blistering pace of iPhone updates, the LaLa acquisition, the next iPhone and (ahem) another candid assessment, of Blu-Ray.)

(Update, 1/31 4:20 pm ET: Another member of the audience, who also requires anonymity because this person is also not authorized to speak to the media, disputes the “bullshit” quote and says Jobs actually said: “Don’t be evil is a load of crap,” as first reported by Daring Fireball. This source also asserts that Jobs had nice things to say about how Adobe, or at least how the company used to be, as John Gruber’s “little birdie” also told him first.)
Why does he go on about html5 when only some features can be used currently? Instead of waiting until then, why not use Flash?