Republic Commando, bargain bins and the Death of PC Gaming

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Republic Commando, bargain bins and the Death of PC Gaming

Post by Enigma »

MKSheppard wrote:<snip>
MicroCenter does seem to keep a more balanced view of this -- they have a really cheap bargain section for PC Software -- I managed to find a single box of.......Daikatana on the shelves. :lol:

The problem is; MicroCenter is a very smallish store -- so most people can't count on one nearby.
How small is that store. The one I occasionally go to in Mayfield Hts would rival Best Buy in square footage. I loooooooove going to that store. :)

Anyways, I've been to about half a dozen EB stores in Canada and almost as much Gamestop stores in Ohio and I do notice a sharp decline in new PC games stocked in Gamestop compared to the EB stores in Canada. The Gamestops here do not sell used PC games (with the only exception being the one in the Great Lakes Mall). My guess the decline of older\used PC titles available in stores is currently restricted to the U.S. at the moment?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Republic Commando, bargain bins and the Death of PC Gaming

Post by MKSheppard »

Enigma wrote:How small is that store. The one I occasionally go to in Mayfield Hts would rival Best Buy in square footage. I loooooooove going to that store. :)
It's in the old CompUSA space at Federal Plaza in Rockville, MD. So it's pretty big. What I meant by "smallish"; was the total size of the MicroCenter Chain. There are only 22 locations in the entire US, with just one in Maryland, and one in northern Virginia for example.

On a future visit; I found a whole line of Daikatana boxes at that microcenter. :lol: But sadly, most of the "used games" they were selling upon closer inspection were shovelware crap that nobody wants. For fuck's sake, just feed those things into an industrial shredder.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944