battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Hmm, judging by the way mister rogers got defeated the Gjallerhorn has demonstrated the following. 100% immunity to projectiles, wrath of god spinal laser. wrath of a thousand fleas secondary lasers.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Indeed, indeed. She's an angry beast. And I actually toned her down a peg before I posted her. (Used to have four Aegis guarding the sections immediately fore, aft, port, and star of the core, which is also where they were housed.)

I might tone her down again, but she was built to rivial the other's supers, and named for the horn that sounded Ragnarok.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Well, Mister rodgers uses stock guns is the thing. and no beams, so is rather well, buggered if it goes up against something with a flawless interception defence. Hmm, next job, that's no moon...
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:Beautiful work there Vanas.
Thanks. I've been tweaking the Columbia class for a while. It's current loadout is A Bucket O' Flak, and a quartet of twin-firing cannon. I haven't watched too much of the new series, I think I've missed a set of cannon. Other than that, up against a swarm of Alien Carriers standing in for Basestars, she's a monster.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

How the Ultra Beamer (Gjallerhorn's spinal) matches up against it's stock version

Current Ultra Beamer
Damage: 10
Rate of Fire: 1
Magazine Size: 2
Reload Time: 60
Turning Rate: 1
Max Range: 1000
Accuracy: 0 shot deviation
Firing Arc: 30*

Mega Beam
Damage: 1
Rate of Fire: 0
Magazine Size: 1
Reload Time: 13.33
Turning Rate: 0.75
Max Range: 600
Accuracy: ???
Firing Arc: 60*

The Point Beams are stock. The two beamers aligned with the spinal are 5 damage 5 clip, 30* arc. The "Flea's wrath" lasers are 3 clip, 5 reload, 1 damage, 700 range.

Stock stats are listed here for most weapon systems. (Manual launches got left off the guy's list.)

[EDIT] ANd here's the full current fleet.[/EDIT]
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Right, how's this looking?

I'm tempted to give it broadside AI and open up the firing arcs. However, doing so would get the pods mangled. And due to some linkage issues the bits behind the pods aren't exactly... stable.

Job's a good 'un. Long range FTL drive for classy exits.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Vanas wrote:Right, how's this looking?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/ ... lumbia.jpg
Interesting Battlestar
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Indeed, I can understand the linking problems. It's a very simple system which leads to issues about parts that should be able to connect in multiple places... >_<

A little cheap, but ya could link the recovery bays to the core, or a pair of Aegis on the bays guarding the strut portions to ensure the actual linked ones aren't destroyed first. (Kinda cheap either way, but effective.)
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Nah ,I'll just call them munitions stores and be done with it.

It's not... that bad, is it?

Still, with 3 kitbashed Basestars doing this about twice a second, they still don't come close to over-whelming the flak batteries.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Not terribly bad, seen worse linking damage. Both times I ran Darke's Mr.Roger's against Gjallerhorn, it split it clean in half in fairly short order.

And most of Gjaller's weapons are mounted on the front fins, or directly there off. So it can be about 70% disabled by the destruction of two segments. (The back portion is fairly sturdy, but those armaments are mostly back up.)
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Hehe, aww stop beating on the poor thing, cant it have some dignity in defeat?
Starts work on project gridfire*
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

It had some dignity, it put up a pretty good fight. In the second, it survived long enough for them two circle each other about once. It's just that once it looses it's first outer shell section, its over for it, since the inner hull will collapse once it looses a single section.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

one of these days i'll rebuild it, bigger badder and sillier than before.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

At the very least, I'd suggest enough Deflectors to cover one side. It's rotation and actual speed a pretty balanced, as any micro'ed ship could just switch targets to the other half to annihilate that when the deflectors are up.

And of course, you've learned why I love beams for my ships. (Aside from the beauty of a steam of photonic death...)
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

A champion stood, the rest saw their better, mr rodgers in a bloodstained sweater.

Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Congrats.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Thankyou, it was...incredibly hard even with the beefed up Mr. Rogers, i had to railgun snipe the point beams, i have to kill three of four before shots started getting through. I also had to kill the beam of death the same way. Once the last point beam went the Gjallerhorn was doomed though.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

PEWPEWPEW

And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Darkevilme wrote:Thankyou, it was...incredibly hard even with the beefed up Mr. Rogers, i had to railgun snipe the point beams, i have to kill three of four before shots started getting through. I also had to kill the beam of death the same way. Once the last point beam went the Gjallerhorn was doomed though.
Indeed. Noticed she still managed to take a far bit of the Neo-Roger with her though. Sounds the epic battle.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I dislike the uberness of many of those ships on the custom ships page. But some are actually pretty good. Their SG1 ships are terrible (Wait, so my ship is twice the length of my longest range weapon?) their ST ships are awful (Why can't my nacelle guns shoot past my own saucer?), and their SW ships are crummy (So it's a ship shaped like a pyramid. That... shoots rockets?)

...But the Warhammer ships are pretty well balanced for their own if you download that, as well as the 'choice pack' ships. I'm definately amused by the possibility of making Stargate style 'ancients' ships given how the Gluon Bolter behaves juuust like one of those drone launchers.

But yeah. Ubermobiles are boring. I'll just wait for someone to make some Honorverse ships or Wing Commander.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Oh man, this is awesome. Try making two different ubermobiles, then watch em slowly grind eachother down. If properly constructed, it's a long-term slugging match instead of a "pewpew you're dead!".
RRoan
Padawan Learner

Post by RRoan »

Ah yes, this game. Some of my better looking ships:
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

What I've gotten so far:
The Killia class Superdestroyer

The Princeps class Battlecruiser

The Arcaesar class Dreadnought

Yes, those are Aegis Deflectors providing protection to every section, on every ship. No, it does not make the ships invincible (though the Arcaesar comes damn close). It just makes them tough enough to make the slug-fests a battle of epic proportions.

What's particularly fun is spawning an allied Princeps and a hostile Princeps and watching the two go at eachother.
Last edited by Lancer on 2007-09-21 12:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

:? I'd heard it's possible to overload shields, hadn't seen it done though. Wonder how much firepower it takes... (Combined or otherwise)