Portal 2 now with even more SCIENCE

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Portal 2 now with even more SCIENCE

Post by Zixinus »

Is that really a surprise? Namely that the whole thing ever had a point? The whole thing was just marketing, albeit fun. Even if the hours would be completed, the game would be released only a few hours or at best, a day earlier.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zixinus wrote:Is that really a surprise? Namely that the whole thing ever had a point? The whole thing was just marketing, albeit fun. Even if the hours would be completed, the game would be released only a few hours or at best, a day earlier.
It's much like holding a contest and nobody winning it, that's a backfire. If you host a Bingo game and 50 picks later no one has one? You start getting people turning on you, what was once a nice fun idea now becomes rage inducing.

OAN something is going wonky with the count-down clock so they might have realized their mistake on setting the goals way to high.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Erm, Glados seems to be eating up the potatoes now. The number of them is steadily decreasing.
I guess the number of potatoes are coming into play now?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

According to any data we can pull up, while the Potatoes are decreasing, every game being run has a CPU multipler added to it, thus increasing the equivilant workload.

We're set on the game being launched in a little over 13 hours as of this time, by GLaDOS' own clock.

we have 9 hours of this Overclocked CPU time left as of this posting. So yeah, Potatos in Action.

SCIENCE
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I wonder how many people practically WORKED to get those extra three hours.
Credo!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zixinus wrote:I wonder how many people practically WORKED to get those extra three hours.
The count-down tracks time "played" IE having the game open not you doing anything. And within six hours there was a program to automatically run multiple instances to cheat the system distrusted which I myself did not use but I let audiosurf idle for a few hours while doing other things

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I mean stuff like getting one of the more obscure potatoes and researching/hacking their way to get passwords and such. Maintaining the wiki, organising things, etc. That probably easily go up to more than three hours, just for one heavily-involved person.

I mean, I like the idea and all, but I wish there was much more of an impact then a scant few hours that I'll likely skip anyway due to school and real life and everything.
A few days counted off, now that would make the effort seem a little more worthwhile.
Credo!
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

It's a bit hard to be excited about getting the game a bit early when people who bought the Console versions are already playing it because people broke the Street Date for the game and there's no zero day protection. And other people can get them at midnight depending on where they bought them from.

Sigh.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Portal 2 has dropped, beginning testing phase

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Phase 1 Testing complete, beginning phases 2 and 3 tomorrow
As for everyone's favorite computer? Spoiler
She's back and ten times worse as it's no longer hinted at not liking you or trying to kill you now she adds on constantly insults you on top of that to note she's called me a horrible person, insulted my mother and congratulated me on managing to gain weight despite cryosleep

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I really liked the valentine commercial.

They really try hard to understand the emotions of us squishy humans.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Played all afternoon. I'm tired and stuck at a puzzle.

Found the Borealis hint though. :D

And all that potato business now sort of makes sense.
adam_grif wrote:It's a bit hard to be excited about getting the game a bit early when people who bought the Console versions are already playing it because people broke the Street Date for the game and there's no zero day protection. And other people can get them at midnight depending on where they bought them from.

Sigh.
What are you talking about?
Credo!
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

I'm loving this game! Far fewer intractable objects, not a big thing, but I'm kinda sad I can't kill myself with high velocity office furniture.
Spoiler
I think the defective turrets had me laughing the hardest! "Uhhh, blam! Blam blam blam! Did I pass?"
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Well, I learned one thing from the final battle:

The portal gun has a really long range.

Oh, and that the game is awesome.

That is all.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
GeorgeOrr
Youngling

Post by GeorgeOrr »

adam_grif wrote:It's a bit hard to be excited about getting the game a bit early when people who bought the Console versions are already playing it because people broke the Street Date for the game and there's no zero day protection. And other people can get them at midnight depending on where they bought them from.

Sigh.
Fuck off with your "consoles suck!" bullshit. It's boring.

Anyway, is completion of the first game necessary?
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

It does help you comprihend what's going on, epseically in regards to GLaDOS, but it's not mandatory no.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

You should still play it first anyway, game of the year and all that.
I have completed Portal 2 single player, and now for spoilers Spoiler
Random thoughts
Damn backstabbing robot
More puzzles!
More story (And the writing was even better since GLADOS had people to play off of)
The end sequence was the highlight especially GLADOS's seeming heal/face turn
"Just go you mute maniac"
Before you were here, nobody tried to murder me. Or put me in a potato.
It's good to have a worthy adversary. Holmes and Moriarty. Aristotle and THE GIANT SPIKE CRUSHER THING!

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Zixinus wrote:Played all afternoon. I'm tired and stuck at a puzzle.

Found the Borealis hint though. :D
If you finish the game you'll see Spoiler
That it's not in the Borealis, despite the stronger hints in the sealed off Aperture research labs, it's under a field somewhere with sunny weather.
And all that potato business now sort of makes sense.
1.1V post apocalyptic AI!
(The paradoxes had me laughing out loud. Lots of stuff in the game had me laughing out loud actually. It was only missing a better credits song. And cake).

Also, I'd like to remind people that today isJudgement/Skynet day.
So lets have a great cheer for rogue A.I's!

(Also, finished the game yesterday. LOVE it).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Beaten the Single and Co-OP campaigns with, I think 10 hours on the clock.

It's more of Portal. But, the additions, if slightly underused in the storys, make the game so much better.

Although, somewhere between 1 & 2 the Aperture labs got a serious upgrade in the crazy-huge area. It seemed pretty huge in the first game... But, it would seem in the second that it's at least two underground cities built on top of each other...
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Zixinus wrote:What are you talking about?
360/PS3 copies had broken street dates in some places (3+ days early), the pirated version went live substantially prior to release, and the game got released on the 19th at midnight even in countries that were supposed to get it later (One of my lecturers got his PS3 copy earlier than I got my steam copy). We got the game at like 3PM, the UK got it at like 9AM, and the US got it at like 1AM (obviously varying slightly due to time zone). This is to say, people who bought on steam got it at the same time as people as people who bought retail, at best, and quite a bit later at worst.

Ergo, the ARG that valve ran with the "play the potato pack to get Portal 2 earlier" was basically an exercise in futility for all involved. It was rigged anyway, since when we knocked the most difficult game off the list (Killing Floor) it only took 5 minutes off the timer, because they didn't actually have any intention of letting it release any earlier than they wanted it to. The ARG would have been described more accurately as "play the potato pack to get Portal 2 at the same time as everyone else".

I'm not losing sleep over this, but it was quite lame and rather dishonest. Hence, "it's hard to get excited".
GeorgeOrr wrote: Fuck off with your "consoles suck!" bullshit. It's boring.
What on earth are you talking about?
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I'm stuck near one of the endgame rooms.
Spoiler
As I enter, there are turrets behind a glass wall to my right and to my front is a gap. Beyond the gap is a blue gel dispenser. Above the gap is a warp funnel.

The only thing I have so far managed to do is get to the blue gel dispenser and get back to the starting area. I presume that I need to drop blue gel on the turrets. However, I have no idea how.

Any help?
Credo!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well Zixinus failed on posting a spoiler
And your information is way to generic to know which test chamber your referring to so please post where you are story wise because what you describe happens about five different times by my count please when in the story you are as well as any buttons or other objects present (Best still tell us what the intro comments are and from who)

At present the unofficial labeling for chambers is as follows Spoiler
Intro, GLADOS, Pre-recorded, Escape, Cave Johnson sections (By year 1956, 1971 and 1982) plus The Itch and Finally sections

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Spoiler
Story-wise?

Not sure exactly, but Wheatley has long taken over, I already have the potato attached to my portal-gun and this is where Weatley gives his first maniacal laugh (and immedeatly remarks "that's tiring").
Credo!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Spoiler
Okay your in the Itch sections then, now to figure out which chamber your in, can you revert to an earlier save (The autosave for example) and tell us which what the chamber number is?

Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

@Zixinus
Spoiler
Use the portal gun to make a pusher beam push blue gel back at where the door is.

Go to the blue gel area. Drop blue gel in the beam. Break the pusher beam so that the gel falls right near the edge.

Make the beam again, drop gel into the beam. Quickly, run to the spot where you dropped the blue gel, and jump into the beam and ride it across the gap. Use the button to reverse direction of the beam. Suck it through to the other side of the portal. Change the portal so that the pusher beam goes over the turrets. get off the button. Drop the gel on the turrets. Laugh maniacally.

Press the no longer turret guarded button. Use the new angled portal surface to launch yourself and then you bounce across the gap, hitting the blue gel that killed the turrets. Use the pusher beam to get some height.