World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Hawkwings »

Well, it's worth retraining your crew if they're above 85% primary skill, as you lose 10% when you train. If they're below 85%, you're better off buying the new 75% crew.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Not quite.

You lose 10% of their skill level by retraining, so the 85% crew would get (85-8.5)=76.5% skill.

Also, there's a floor: if you spend 20000 credits for the 10% loss retraining, they will not go below 75% skill. Even if they were below 75% to start with, no graduate of the "regimental school" training program is below 75%. So you never actually lose anything by retraining an existing crew instead of training a new one from scratch. Which is why I still have that segregated tank crew; they've gone all the way from a T2 Medium to a Pershing because I'm sentimental about them.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

The BT-7 was one of my most successful tanks, it's damn fast!

If you end up in a match where the enemy has some arty, you just hang back at your base a bit, wait for the mass of players to engage, then haul your speedy arse over to the enemy base, running rings around everything there while poking (Or in some cases ramming! You build up a lot of speed and you can even take out higher tier arty with ramming!).

Thier slow refire rate coupled with your great acceleration means that after they've inevitably fired a miss at you, you can stop for a few seconds to hammer off a couple of accurate shots before darting off again (Though note this can be risky, and not advisible if there are more defenders).

Of course after this you're in a prime position to cap the enemy base.

If you're in a game with no Arty though, you're best off just being a skirmishing nuicence, drawing fire away from your allies.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Oh, something fun to note, warplanes is going to be hitting closed beta on the 31st if they keep schedule. I don't care about tanks other than clan wars once that drops...

until the new game modes which should be next patch. Why do they put the good stuff out at the same time? Why?
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The M103 seems to hate me a lot (40% win rate, ouch) but I'm finally getting the hang of it. It really played like an oversized medium with a big gun.

Also decided to get serious with the French taks and found the AMX-12 to be a smooth backstab tank.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Before I head off to bed, I have a real quick question here. I almost made an account earlier (now that I have a working computer that belongs to me again), and it said at the bottom of the page that you could download the game from the website. My question is, does that work as good as actually buying the thing in a store (assuming they ever sold it in stores...I don't know for sure). And how much space does it take on a hardrive? If both of those answers are good, I may end up making an account soon. Thanks in advance for any help. :D
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

About two gigabytes, and you need a fairly modern- oh wait you just got a laptop. It'll run this, although if it's an el cheapo laptop it'll run it badly. I should know, that's how I play it.

Downloaded game works as well as storebought, there's no licensing issues or anything.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I'm actually at over 6 gigs - though that's with half a gig of replays at this point. Storebought just gives you some bonus codes which entitle you to some stuff (I think something like a week of premium, the premium T2 light tank, and some spare gold) - it's a decent value for what's in it, but if you're not sure you want to spend money you can just download it off the website without paying a dime.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Actually buying it in store is just getting the auto-updater on CD and downloading the game from the web with a couple of bonuses to the account.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So not been following world of tanks for awhile but I have a question. With the British tanks trailer dropping a few hours ago has there been any mention of the British tech tree yet? Specifically are they putting the derp gun of all derp guns the Churchill AVRE armed with the 290mm Petard Mortar in? That just might bring me back because the 152mm KV was hilarious and having something with six times the raw boom with half the range may bring me back in.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

From what rumors I've heard, I wouldn't be surprised if the AVRE made an appearance- either as a gun option on the main tree Churchill, or as a premium tank.

But I can hardly say I know...

The one real problem with it is that its HE rounds would be so blatantly overpowered that you could really only match the AVRE up against top-tier armor and have it be remotely fair.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Simon_Jester wrote: The one real problem with it is that its HE rounds would be so blatantly overpowered that you could really only match the AVRE up against top-tier armor and have it be remotely fair.
Did I mention the 55 second reload time with a max capacity of seven shells, one in the tube six inside the tank?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

As I recall, on ye olde pre-pre-pre alpha tree, the AVRE was down as a premium SPG.

That said, I'd be suprised if you couldn't get the 150-ish mm mortar version on the Churchill VII.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm on a bit of a nostaglia kick right now, playing the original Op. Flashpoint (what can I say...I went so long without a computer its the only game I have left for it). But I might get WoT soon, so if anyone is kicking around in Tier 1 they may see me. Not sure when exactly though.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Experiment a bit- see what kind of fighting style you like. Slow, tough and ponderous? Long range and snipey? Fast, agile, and battering holes in people's flanks?
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. I'm on a bit of a nostaglia kick right now, playing the original Op. Flashpoint (what can I say...I went so long without a computer its the only game I have left for it). But I might get WoT soon, so if anyone is kicking around in Tier 1 they may see me. Not sure when exactly though.

I recently got a couple of my friends into this game, and I have more fun in the low tiers, so I keep a few around, my screen name in WoT is the same as it is here, so feel free to add me to your contacts if you start playing.

I have no idea if this is historically accurate, or even physically possible, but what I want out of the British line is this: Valentine with a six pounder. I love that gun on the Churchill, 30 RPM worth of accurate, 139mm penetration death, most of what you end up shooting with might as well be armored with butter.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Valentine's a T4 light. Can't really see the 6-pounder on it. Admittedly, it'd be hilarious, but still.

Also, the SDN chat room does exist, it just needs people.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

^ Oh, I know it would be unsanely overpowered at tier 4, that's kind of the point. I like my Val, I really do, it murders everything it finds, right up to the point when I come up against an AMX 40, that's when the swearing starts.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, I went ahead and made an account/downloaded the game. Same username there, except it is Skywalker_T65 since I can't put 'T-65' in there. Should be on in a little while, though I'll get murdered being a noob and all.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Well, I went ahead and made an account/downloaded the game. Same username there, except it is Skywalker_T65 since I can't put 'T-65' in there. Should be on in a little while, though I'll get murdered being a noob and all.
Everybody gets murdered, I've been playing since last August and my overall survival rating is something like 22%. Granted, I do a lot of dumb shit, on the "fuck it" principal.

Power to the Peaceful

Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Valentine VIII was the 6lb. version, at least according to Flames of War, and Wikipedia. One of the more military history oriented people will probably correct me if that's wrong. And yes, I agree--at tier 4, a valentine with the current armor load, plus a solid gun like the 6lb. would be VERY overpowered.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Finally started playing...and it is addicting! Fun, and hard sometimes...but DARN I didn't expect it to be so addicting...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:right up to the point when I come up against an AMX 40, that's when the swearing starts.
The AMX-40 sucks horribly otherwise though. I had to drive one on the way to the AMX-12, and I basically just chanted "Vive le France" as the tank slowly crawled its way to the frontlines to die gloriously against anything with a gun bigger than 50mm.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I had a fair amount of fun in the AMX-40, because of how utterly indestructible it is against small-caliber guns.

I even got Top Gun in it once...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

My AMX-40 tends to not see enough low-level foes :/

Hence: "Vive le France!" *marches to doom like obedient Napoleonic infantry*