Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Re: Mass Effect 3 (Spoilers)

Post by Omeganian »

Zinegata wrote:
PeZook wrote:How is it contradictory? It depends on what you define as "life". If you save the DNA, you can recreate the species later using biomedical tech, so if your value system doesn't put any value in individuals (which the Reapers OBVIOUSLY don't, since they fuck individuals up in all sorts of gruesome ways) it's perfectly logical to save organic life as nothing but a massive DNA sample.
If they're just after the DNA then they can just flash-freeze a sample.

But don't forget that in ME2 they're actively trying to make a new "Human" Reaper using human parts. And that the Collectors are essentially a failed Prothean Reaper because they couldn't make the quad DNA thing work with their system.

Even worse, what do the Reapers do when the Collector Base is about to blow up? Do they go rescue the Collectors? Preserve their DNA? Nope, they actually cut the link to the Collectors and say they're no longer necessary. They leave them for dead.

That is not the actions of a race that is interested in "preserving" organic life.

That honestly looks more like the actions of a bunch of genocidal assholes who want to eat most life in the galaxy as part of their mating cycle. And their reason for leaving less developed races behind is so that they will have more food to eat again in 50,000 years.
We must assume that the memories and personalities are somehow still present in the Reapers. I'm surprised they're not broadcasting the Borg message.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Omeganian wrote:The Catalyst did open doors before Shepard and Anderson. It helped them get there and dock the Crucible.
It's actually unclear who was responsible for opening the door to the Citadel control room. Do remember that Anderson said he got to the terminal first; maybe he opened up the door for Shep to go in. Maybe it was also TIM as he was fighting off indoctrination.

In either case, it was Shepard who actually punched in the controls on the terminal which opened up the Citadel. What was missing was the "trigger" to actually activate the Crucible.

And do remember that Shepard loses contact with everyone else the moment Little Hitler brings him up to the decision chamber. Hackett was clearly still talking to Shep before he got to the chamber; so why would the Catalyst isolate Shepard off?

Again, if you look at what the Reapers have been actually doing for the rest of the series, instead of treating the Catalyst's words as gospel, there is NO altruism that can be traced behind their motives. They subverted the Geth and forced them to make war in ME1. They were eating up humans in ME2 to make a new Reaper. They let their Collector minions die.

I'd bluntly say that the Catalyst got Shep to do a one-on-one with it so that it couldn't hear Hackett go "OKay, we figured out how to activate it now! Do this and blow the Reapers to hell!"
We must assume that the memories and personalities are somehow still present in the Reapers. I'm surprised they're not broadcasting the Borg message.
As Pezook noted the most charitable interpretation is that it does not; they simply care about the components and not the individuals. And it still does not explain the abandonment of the Collectors; given that all attempts to make a Prothean Reaper failed.
Last edited by Zinegata on 2012-03-13 07:00am, edited 1 time in total.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Zinegata wrote: If they're just after the DNA then they can just flash-freeze a sample.
But then they couldn't easily grow tons of food new life in case something went wrong and the galaxy was fucked ;)

Havok's mention of the acting like gardeners is actually pretty neat - maybe they do literally EAT organics (hence, Reapers), much like we eat wheat and use it to make new humans.
Zinegata wrote: That honestly looks more like the actions of a bunch of genocidal assholes who want to eat most life in the galaxy as part of their mating cycle. And their reason for leaving less developed races behind is so that they will have more food to eat again in 50,000 years.
That's my other problem with the ending, actually - the Reapers don't seem as threatening when they turn out to be essentially combine harvesters ran by a little brat for a stupid purpose.

They were scarier when they seemed to be simply malicious and cruel.

EDIT: As for them abandoning the Collectors, what could they have possibly done? The base was blowing up ; It's not like it could wait months for the Reapers to slowly trudge across the galaxy to pick them up!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Omeganian wrote: We must assume that the memories and personalities are somehow still present in the Reapers. I'm surprised they're not broadcasting the Borg message.
Harbinger does say something about resisting humanisty's ascencion being futile or something.

Maybe Reapers are some sort of grotesque collection of organic races given crazy and cruel malevolent minds, collected together as some sort of psycho display show of every worst quality of life? :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Zinegata wrote:
Havok wrote: Provide ONE valid reason to question it.
Are you that much of a fucking moron?

What evidence has the Catalyst shown to prove what it's saying is true? Zero.
So YOU CAN'T. I'll take that as an admission of concession on the point. Well the AAI isn't in court, so it hasn't provided any evidence. HOWEVER. The Protheans wiped out their AIs. The Quarrians attempted to wipe out their AIs. The Geth attempted to wipe out the Quarrians. The Humans have wiped out all their AIs. There is actual precedent what he claims happens. You CHOSE to try to handwave it away with Sheppard.
Literally, you have to take the AI's word for it. The same fucking AI that mass-murdered trillions of people and claimed that it is saving them.
How many mice, flies, spiders, ants have you killed? You are a mass murderer too slick. You just don't APPLY ANY VALUE TO WHAT YOU HAVE KILLED. Crazy how that works.

P.S. You wouldn't kill EVERY spider or ant or fly in existence would you?

Got that brain working on all these crazy concepts yet?
That you cannot even admit that there is this massive logical fallacy in its line of reasoning - "We will genocide you to save you" - only goes to show what kind of moron you are.
Hahahahaha oh man, no comprehension and you can't even read an argument, let alone make one. First of all that is NOT the AAIs assertion. It claims to destroy the old races BEFORE they can create Synthetics that will wipe out ALL life, in order to preserve LIFE AS A WHOLE IN THE GALAXY. But, you do like twisting words around don't you.
Did I say ANYWHERE that I thought it was logical? What I said was that given the length of it's existence and going through "countless cycles", and based on the fact that the game presents the information as such, that there is no reason to doubt or think it has not scene this happen. It was probably the impetus of the first "cycle" and statistically, there are chances that it happened more than once.
I have said that there IS precedent for what he claims. That based on the logic that this particular entity has lived through "countless cycles" and that this is the conclusion it has come to, there is no reason to doubt it's claims.
Havok, the Hitler comparisons exist for a reason:
Yes, because you are a fucking idiot, but we have covered this, so lets continue...
He was retard who waged war, committed genocide, based on a shitty premise.
There is that pesky HISTORY thing again. Noooo, the premise was to rebuild and strengthen the German people and state after being devastated in a war. That is never a bad premise. The wars he waged were, up until he went really crazy, were to that effect. Again, not a bad premise.
The fact that he blamed the problems and failings of Germany on the Jews and tried to destroy their race is what made him a monster.
The Catalyst is no different. That you accept his explanations despite its blatant parallels with Nazi ideology (right up to using the body parts of your victims as furniture) only demonstrates that you are really that much of a fucking moron who can't admit he was duped.
What does accepting his explanation have to do with anything? (We'll get to the blatant parallels with Nazi ideology in a sec.)
Man you really are this fucking stupid...

I can accept Hitler's explanations for everything he did. See this is where understanding the meaning of WORDS comes into play dumbfuck. Accepting, (PSSSSS It has multiple meanings) does not always mean AGREE WITH. It does not always mean CONDONE. "Understand" is another pesky word you may have a hard time with. We already know about "inherent". :lol:
It was a shitty ending that condoned a mass-murderer. Pezook rightly says "maybe they can fix it from a narrative perspective and make us understand why he's a fucked up Catalyst", but you are actually seriously arguing that the Catalyst is right.
MY fucking gawd... you really don't have any idea what reading comprehension is do you? You really don't understand or get what any of these really complex words mean do you? :lol:
Is English your second language? Honest question.

And, how does it condone mass murder when EVERY option destroys the AAI, The Reapers i.e., punishes them and destroys everything they have believed and built for likely a million plus years AND saves the lives of every person currently fighting against them... because you don't have the option to yell "FUCK YOU!!" and shot at a hologram? This has been your contention in most of your posts. So you will answer it per board rules or concede the argument.

And speaking of board rules... I'm probably about to break one...
Therefore you are arguing Genocide is right. And that makes you nothing more than scum on the same level as the Nazis.
I wonder if you really fathom how much pain you would be in if you had actually said this to me?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PeZook wrote:But then they couldn't easily grow tons of food new life in case something went wrong and the galaxy was fucked ;)

Havok's mention of the acting like gardeners is actually pretty neat - maybe they do literally EAT organics (hence, Reapers), much like we eat wheat and use it to make new humans.
Based on ME1 and ME2 the Reapers are actually precisely this - simple genocidal monsters who eat organics to make new Reapers. Remember Sovereign's words in ME1: "You will die because we demand it" (or something like that). They're not nice.
That's my other problem with the ending, actually - the Reapers don't seem as threatening when they turn out to be essentially combine harvesters ran by a little brat for a stupid purpose.

They were scarier when they seemed to be simply malicious and cruel.
There are several possibilities (4th wall breaking)

1) Bioware's original ending for ME3 (the leaked one) said that the Reapers were actually gathering stregnth to fight of some "Dark Matter" McGuffin. So that their OMNOM of trillions of people is actually justified.

This is ham-fisted and idiotic story-telling, and I have no fucking clue why they'd want us to sympathize with the Reapers when they spent ME1 and 2 showing just how monstrous the Reapers are - but that at least excuses them for acting out of a "Greater Good". I mean, the Ur-Quan (From SC2) were enslavers and genocidal maniacs, but they do actually have a tragic tale to tell.

Unfortunately, because it is ham-fisted and idiotic story-telling somebody in Bioware (reacting to the negative response due to the ham-fisted and idiotic nature of it) decided to change the ending, but couldn't change it enough without leaving all the glaring plotholes and making the Reapers even bigger assholes and idiots.

2) (Based on the most popular "alternate") The Catalyst is really just lying and trying to save itself. It's the same OMNOM monster from ME1 and 2 on its last legs.

So it isolates Shepard from the rest of the fleet. It tells you some dumb justifications for its genocidal actions. It then tries to convince you to NOT pick the "Destroy Reapers" option. Because again, even in the Synth and Control option there's no guarantee the Reapers won't come back in the future.

Solution: "Fuck You Little Hitler" DLC.

3) Bioware was simply that fucking retarded and forgot that the Reapers are not some kid who committed a parking violation. They're the worst goddamn bastards in the history of the galaxy. And they want you to sympathize with the villans. Just because they can and think it's artsy.

Fuck it, I think somebody in Bioware needs to be sent to a Commissar to arrange a meeting with the Emperor for this, regardless of the real story behind it.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Havok wrote:
So YOU CAN'T. I'll take that as an admission of concession on the point.
YOU ARE A LYING SHIT AND I'VE HAD IT WITH YOUR LIES.

You have NOT shown any evidence that the Catalyst's words are true in any way or form.

You then go around and fucking tell ME that I can't prove it? Are you that much of a goddamn moron? How can I prove that the Catalyst is lying when it has NOT SHOWN ANY EVIDENCE THAT WHAT IT SAYS IS TRUE

You are asking us to take the Catalyst's words as truth without proof. This is the height of dishonesty.

Show evidence that what the Catalyst said is true. Show that it showed multiple examples of Organics and Synthetics killing each other as a certainty over the many, many, many cycles. Show it, you lying shit.

Oh, wait, you can't. BECAUSE YOU'RE A LYING SHIT HEAD. Because the Catalyst never actually fucking gives any examples. No statistics. It doesn't even notice that the Geth and Quarians resolved their differences.

No concession from me. No more fucking bullshit until you show WHEN and WHAT evidence the Catalyst actually showed aside from "Oh, believe me, this is how it happens! Just trust my word on it!"

Fucking genocide-living shithead. :finger:

No more lies Havok. Show the EXACT in-game clip wherein the Catalyst presents evidence that Synthetics and Organics are guaranteed to kill each other. No clip, then FUCK YOU and your outright lies.
Last edited by Zinegata on 2012-03-13 07:20am, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

PeZook wrote:
Havok wrote: But it brings up the point I have been saying on my POV, that this is the first cycle where this has happened.

Also, Javik mentions that the Protheans didn't want to be surpassed by synthetics or something to that effect, so while they may have wiped them out, they may have actually been threatened by them.
From what I've seen of him, it sounded more like Prothean arrogance, and again - fear of synthetic life. Hence lobotomized AI (oooh they're not REALLY intelligent! They're VIRTUAL intelligences!), AI shackles etc etc etc.
No, he actually seemed to respect their VIs in his flashbacks. Took orders from him too.
In other words, organics are assholes who can't comprehend the fact sentient beings, made of metal or not, will resent being slaves :P
Well duh.
Havok wrote:This/our cycle is almost a continuation of the Prothean cycle though, so the fact that they didn't get attacked by their synthetics, if that is how it happened, shows progress towards the way this cycle acts. Gotta remember that the AIs that spring up are initially programed with the values of the current culture.
Yeah...

I really have to wonder why the Reapers are so damn gleeful at the thought of rampaging across the universe, though. It kinda jars with their now-stated purpose that they'd drool at the thought (well, Sovereign and Harbinger at least) of massacrating entire civilizations. Maybe I'm missing something.
Bad, seat of your pants writing.

Or maybe the Reapers don't really understand or even know what the AI is? I mean, do they not just destroy the Citadel because they know the AAI is in there, or because they need it to carry out their task?

Massacrating is a great typo. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Zinegata wrote:
Havok wrote:
So YOU CAN'T. I'll take that as an admission of concession on the point.
YOU ARE A LYING SHIT AND I'VE HAD IT WITH YOUR LIES.

You have NOT shown any evidence that the Catalyst's words are true in any way or form.

You then go around and fucking tell ME that I can't prove it? Are you that much of a goddamn moron? How can I prove that the Catalyst is lying when it has NOT SHOWN ANY EVIDENCE THAT WHAT IT SAYS IS TRUE

You are asking us to take the Catalyst's words as truth without proof. This is the height of dishonesty.

Show evidence that what the Catalyst said is true. Show that it showed multiple examples of Organics and Synthetics killing each other as a mathematical certainty over the past 50K years. Show it, you lying shit.

No concession from me. No more fucking bullshit until you show WHEN and WHAT evidence the Catalyst actually showed aside from "Oh, believe me, this is how it happens! Just trust my word on it!"

Fucking genocide-living shithead.
:lol: You should go look up "moving goal posts".
Concession accepted.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Havok wrote::lol: You should go look up "moving goal posts".
Concession accepted.
YOU ARE A LYING SHIT.

Again, you are asking us to disprove the Catalyst's assertion... when it shows ZERO evidence that it is true in the first place.

So you CAN'T show a clip? Bull fucking crap. You're the one who owes me a concession. Own up to it, shit head Hitler-lover.

We already know organics and synths can live together. The Geth and Quarians prove it; not Shep making it to the Little Brat's chamber. That you employ wal of ignorance, selectively quote, and then run like a fucking coward while claiming victory just goes to prove that you are indeed nothing more than a genocide-supporting shithead.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Zinegata wrote: 1) Bioware's original ending for ME3 (the leaked one) said that the Reapers were actually gathering stregnth to fight of some "Dark Matter" McGuffin. So that their OMNOM of trillions of people is actually justified.
They were trying to combat Dark energy build up that would (over time) tear the galaxy apart (like what was happening to haestrom's star and that's why there is numerous references to dark energy in ME2) - this was somehow linked to the fact that the younger races is producing Dark energy (though the actual leak is vague on this many has offered their own theories and presented it as fact).

Honetly i don't think this ending is any better than the one we got.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Havok wrote: Massacrating is a great typo. :lol:
Not a typo. It's a Shroomism. I've been subconsciously using more and more of those latery :P

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

*vents heat sink*

Okay, I'm better now. I'll just ignore brain-dead "Oh killing mice and insects is totally comparable to genocide!" Havok's trolling from now on. He just conceded that the Catalyst never did present any evidence to show that it was true and that he is a goddamn lunatic who took whatever the Catalyst said at its face value.
Anacronian wrote:
Zinegata wrote: 1) Bioware's original ending for ME3 (the leaked one) said that the Reapers were actually gathering stregnth to fight of some "Dark Matter" McGuffin. So that their OMNOM of trillions of people is actually justified.
They were trying to combat Dark energy build up that would (over time) tear the galaxy apart (like what was happening to haestrom's star and that's why there is numerous references to dark energy in ME2) - this was somehow linked to the fact that the younger races is producing Dark energy (though the actual leak is vague on this many has offered their own theories and presented it as fact).

Honetly i don't think this ending is any better than the one we got.
I'm not saying it's better. I said it was hamfisted and bad writing.

But it is at least more consistent and makes more sense narratively.
Last edited by Zinegata on 2012-03-13 07:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Starglider wrote:
Stark wrote:I dont think preferring the mako puts you in the minority.
I read that the Hammerhead was supposed to 'fix' all the complaints people had about the Mako. Except that the Mako actually felt like driving a cumbersome heavy armored vehicle and presented a gameplay challenge, wheras the Mako was an air hockey puck with ridiculously easy missions (due to the auto-tracking unlimited can't-miss completely-outrange-the-enemy missiles).
I also totally liked and preferred the Mako... but I enjoyed scanning to sooo....
Do you think they could have spun the finale in a transhumanism way, as a long-running plot to prevent the singularity or whatever? The enemy being (thematically) social conservatism would use been a laugh.
That was a bad idea and even the Bioware writers knew it. The AI-vs-organic issues were given a good treatment in the Geth/Quarian segment, backed up by EDI's stuff (I liked the logs detailing that she was created from the muderous Luna VI in ME1). In fact those bits being good are part of the reason why the ending looked so bad.
I'm starting to learn about Bioware... I don't think they knew it at all, but agreed on the Geth and especially EDI.
As I understand it the original ending prior to the script leak incident involved some sort of dark energy natural catastrophe (thus the Haelstrom dangling plot thread in the final version) and the Reapers being the only solution that a distant past galactic civ could think of to stop it. Your choice was to help the Reapers with their solution or destroy them and find a different solution. This sounds like a much better idea to me, although the general principle of having your earlier choices and war resources actually make a difference is more important than the ending specifics. Scrapping this and replacing it with the crap cribbed from Deus Ex was a mistake; it seems every time BioWare reacts to fans things get worse. Which makes the 'petition for a better ending' an even more hillariously bad idea.
I was hoping that the Haelsrom star was going to play into the ending as well... tricking the Reapers into the system and igniting it, channeling the explosions radiation through the mass relays or some such, and it is the Geth plan that saves the galaxy from the evil machines. Too much to hope for.
P.S. I chose the 'synthesis' ending because I was hoping it would magically save everyone from a horrible mass die-off. Turned out to just be the 'destruction' ending but the survivors get glowing cyber-goth rave tattos. Still wouldn't chose 'control' even though it results in less immediate deaths and Reapers potentially helping with recovery efforts, because it seems like a giant 'indoctrinate me and continue the cycle please'.
Well I chose it on accident, but I like that the Citadel and the Reapers don't just get wiped out by magic.

I wonder if Shepard has direct control of merely heavy influence over them though... How independent are they really?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Omeganian wrote: We must assume that the memories and personalities are somehow still present in the Reapers. I'm surprised they're not broadcasting the Borg message.
Neurons maybe? - perhaps the process we saw of the collector base was simple stripping away the body with Nantes until only the Neurons remains and then the Neurons are incorporated into the construction of the reaper keeping the memories ..in a way.

It's not the usual sci-fi upload of conscious ..to few flashing lights but it might work.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Anacronian wrote:[quote="Omeganian] We must assume that the memories and personalities are somehow still present in the Reapers. I'm surprised they're not broadcasting the Borg message.
Neurons maybe? - perhaps the process we saw of the collector base was simple stripping away the body with Nantes and until only the Neurons remains and then the Neurons are incorporated into the construction of the reaper keeping the memories ..in a way.

It's not the usual sci-fi upload of conscious ..to few flashing lights but it might work.[/quote][/quote]

I'd think that they'd try to resist mass-murdering their own kind if they still had actual memories. But as we've seen they just indoctrinate folks who try to resist so even if the neurons / memories remain... they'd essentially just be stuck in a sort of virtual hell.

Either way, it's not pleasant and arguably worse than simple murder.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Zinegata wrote:
Anacronian wrote:[quote="Omeganian] We must assume that the memories and personalities are somehow still present in the Reapers. I'm surprised they're not broadcasting the Borg message.
Neurons maybe? - perhaps the process we saw of the collector base was simple stripping away the body with Nantes and until only the Neurons remains and then the Neurons are incorporated into the construction of the reaper keeping the memories ..in a way.

It's not the usual sci-fi upload of conscious ..to few flashing lights but it might work.
[/quote]

I'd think that they'd try to resist mass-murdering their own kind if they still had actual memories. But as we've seen they just indoctrinate folks who try to resist so even if the neurons / memories remain... they'd essentially just be stuck in a sort of virtual hell.

Either way, it's not pleasant and arguably worse than simple murder.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Oh not saying the memories had any influence, the reapers might just be hauling them around like an egg sack, I was just speculation on the process it self.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Zinegata wrote:Actually, based on the wiki the Protheans actually never genocided any synthetics. They were attacked by some external synthetic race (again proving that the created-creator theory was fucknuts), so they decided to band together the races of the galaxy under one empire:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Protheans
Eventually, the Protheans faced a hostile machine intelligence called the Zha'til which threatened to overwhelm them. To defeat the Zha'til, the Protheans decided to unite all of the galaxy's sentient organic life under their empire. Organic races that resisted the Protheans were soundly crushed. In time, each of the servant races assimilated into Prothean culture and came to think of themselves as Prothean. The Prothean Empire held its own against the Zha'til in a conflict known as the "Metacon War".

At some point the Protheans learned of the existence of the Reapers and their cycles of galactic destruction through studying the ruins of other extinguished civilizations. Several countermeasures were devised, including the Crucible, which was based on designs left behind by previous civilizations. In the event that the Reapers prevailed, the Protheans also began extensive observation of primitive species such as the asari, hanar, humans, salarians, and turians; it was hoped that some Protheans would survive the Reapers' purge and go on to unite these species to create a new empire.
But nooo. Sure, let's trust the genocidal little Hitler that he's not actually just trying to mass-murder every race in the galaxy for shits and giggles. He's just mass-murdering us to save us.

And bluntly, let's not forget that the implication of ME1 and ME2 is that the Reapers are actually just harvesting us for food.
Yeah, well that complete ignores that Jarvik EXPLICITLY states that the machines they fought against "rebelled against us". UH OH!! Pesky facts and having to pay attention to the actual game. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

In any case the reapers behavior in ME 3 is goddamn retarded, ME 1 was all about not letting the reapers getting control of the Citadel because not only could Sovereign summon the other reapers but it could also use the Citadel to shoot down the entire Mass effect relay system...so why the fuck don't the reapers start their invasion by taking the Citadel?

I mean it's not like it's hard for them.. i fact they can do it in about the same time it take Shep to clear out a Cerberus base - so why not take the citadel, prevent all the younger races to utilize the relay system, restricting them to only real space FTL ...ohh right the plot said so..right.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It could be excused if they no longer have control of the thing, as ME1 established, because then the locals will just close it and go neener neener. Except in ME3 we learn that the Citadel is actually sentient and controls all the Reapers, so uh...

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Ok, my overall impression of the game.

Best outing of the series. Very few let downs.

The non linear feel that was lost in ME2 is back.

The characters and interactions seem a little more dry, but it certainly fits with the tone of the game. There are some great moments though. Tali drunk dialing the 50,000 year old Prothean. Sheppard catching his loose hamster.

There are some touching moments as well. Mordin giving his life to reverse the genophage humming "Scientist Salarian" as he goes out was top notch. The Elcor ambassador... oh man... :cry:

The combat is perfect on Hardcore and plays very smooth. Even though I know I will never "die", there is an intensity and a sense of urgency in combat that wasn't there at all in 1 and barely in 2.
The cover system is a tad clunky and like Chards, I got killed a couple of times trying to get into cover, but it was hardly gamebreaking by any means. I look forward to some more multi and maybe a patch to polish it up.

The different twists the story took felt right, including the ending, even though I know I am in the minority here. As I said before... it keeps Sheppard involved in a way that actually matters and has a real impact on the galaxy. Everything else he did, outside of the Rachni, Geth and Krogans, doesn't really have a long term impact. (Since no one fucking believed him :lol: ) His decision, whichever you pick, has a profound effect on the future of the galaxy, living up to the legend around him outside of just being a badass soldier.

The story itself is pretty weak, but there isn't much left to setup or tell at this point. Everyone knows the Reapers are real and are here. Cerebus are confirmed dicks. etc., etc. It's unfortunate though because that means, and it was obvious, that this installment hinges on the ending, and it is a let down to most people.

The kid in Sheppard's dreams isn't the Ancient/Advanced AI on the Citadel IMO, it just took a form that Shepard would be comfortable with. The dreams themselves seem to represent the innocent people that he tries to save and just can't get to and end up dying. (Kaiden/Ashley dying in the nuclear fire on Virmire) It seems to me that it represents his nagging doubt and the final dream where he watches himself burn along with the kid this time, symbolizes his ultimate victory, but the fact that it is still going to cost the lives of those he is trying to save and cares about as well as his own.

The ending itself. I liked it. It seems to be standard Bioware stuff, but it offers differing viewpoints on what is correct or right. Outside of the AAI, it was fairly predictable, but that is because they foreshadowed the big energy/dark matter will kill the Reapers idea, even if it didn't get carried out as planned.

Over all, I'd say it was a great game and I had immense fun playing it, the first time and already started a second playthrough... gotta buy that stupid Specter sniper. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Anacronian wrote:In any case the reapers behavior in ME 3 is goddamn retarded, ME 1 was all about not letting the reapers getting control of the Citadel because not only could Sovereign summon the other reapers but it could also use the Citadel to shoot down the entire Mass effect relay system...so why the fuck don't the reapers start their invasion by taking the Citadel?

I mean it's not like it's hard for them.. i fact they can do it in about the same time it take Shep to clear out a Cerberus base - so why not take the citadel, prevent all the younger races to utilize the relay system, restricting them to only real space FTL ...ohh right the plot said so..right.
They seem to be an off limits thing. The Reapers can use them and restrict usage, but Sheppard will just blow it up now, probably killing the Reapers in system. So it's better and safer to just let everyone use it since there is no real threat posed by the different races flying around the galaxy. The Reapers could use them to keep track of enemy ship and fleet movements as well. Just guessing there though.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I noticed there is an achievement caled "Mail Slot" the last time I got the opportunity to play a bit.

What the hell is it? :D

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

PeZook wrote:It could be excused if they no longer have control of the thing, as ME1 established, because then the locals will just close it and go neener neener. Except in ME3 we learn that the Citadel is actually sentient and controls all the Reapers, so uh...
Yeah, we learn that in the last 15 minutes of the game and it doesn't seem to be something that it cares to divulge. Even the Keepers, who have evolved out of control from the Reapers, weren't stopped by the AAI when they started getting out of line. All these little tidbits lead me to my earlier line of thinking that the Reapers don't even know about the AAI in the Citadel and their connection to it.

I mean, supposedly the Reapers made the Citadel and Mass Relays... but did they actually? If the Reapers are created by harvesting civilizations, then there had to be a civilization there already for them to get started on.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

PeZook wrote:I noticed there is an achievement caled "Mail Slot" the last time I got the opportunity to play a bit.

What the hell is it? :D
Kill the Cerberus guys with the shields through the shield eyeslits.

I'm a sniper whore, so I was stoked when I saw that actually worked as it was the first thing I aimed for. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)