World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Highlord Laan »

In the last match before the server rest, Gauis sword he was going to hunt me down and kill me. Sadly, he wasn't able to do get his ass handed to him before I stumbled across a Jagdtiger, a KV-3 and a Tiger II at the same time.

8)
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Hitler: What the fuck do you mean all I got is a lousy Ausf A?! What the fuck did you assholes do with my Tiger II!

Strangely, the Ausf A didn't seem all that bad to me. Upgraded, it accounted itself well against other tanks of my tier, and I even scored a couple kills on higher tier armor with it. What makes people call it a piece of shit? It treated me pretty well.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Highlord Laan wrote:In the last match before the server rest, Gauis sword he was going to hunt me down and kill me. Sadly, he wasn't able to do get his ass handed to him before I stumbled across a Jagdtiger, a KV-3 and a Tiger II at the same time.

8)
Hey, the Panzer III's a good tank, don't get me wrong dude... but one shot from my L/70 75mm and it's over.
Strangely, the Ausf A didn't seem all that bad to me. Upgraded, it accounted itself well against other tanks of my tier, and I even scored a couple kills on higher tier armor with it. What makes people call it a piece of shit? It treated me pretty well.
Its armor is worse than the Panzer II which precedes it. 15/15/15 is utterly anemic for Tier 3. It also does not get matched like a PzII does, and frequently draws matches with relatively high tier mediums and heavies. Its armor is incapable of competing within its own tier, much less against a real medium. It's also very poorly armed, IIRC its highest penetration gun is a 37mm.
Last edited by Brother-Captain Gaius on 2010-09-22 02:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
Highlord Laan wrote:In the last match before the server rest, Gauis sword he was going to hunt me down and kill me. Sadly, he wasn't able to do get his ass handed to him before I stumbled across a Jagdtiger, a KV-3 and a Tiger II at the same time.

8)
Hey, the Panzer III's a good tank, don't get me wrong dude... but one shot from my L/70 75mm and it's over.
I know. Just means I'll have to blitz you from behind as you focus on killing one of my teammates. :P

And jesus, I hadn't realized my grammar was that fucked. I must be tired.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Highlord Laan wrote:Strangely, the Ausf A didn't seem all that bad to me. Upgraded, it accounted itself well against other tanks of my tier, and I even scored a couple kills on higher tier armor with it. What makes people call it a piece of shit? It treated me pretty well.
Basically everything BroCap said. The Ausf A is slow and has a pretty average turn rate even with fully upgraded engines and treads. The paper thin armor means that not only can the other tanks that are supposedly in your weight class can murder you with contemptuous ease. Add in the weaksauce weapons, piss poor sight range and radio range, and it's just a mediocre tank. .

That said, you're going to love the PzIII... It's fast, nimble, has good armor, and it's pretty much the perfect scout tank. It's gun is kind of weak against other mediums, but it's prefect for hunting light tanks and artillery. Just remember to never, ever slowdown or stop in the PzIII. Think of it as the Bus from Speed, if your tank slows below 55kph you'll explode.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Man, doing a couple of training battles can turn out to be quite expensive. Tank repair is free, but ammo isn't
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Guys, I just realized they have skins for tanks, we need a PRFY skin and emblem.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

I don't know how the fuck our scouts missed an IS4 parked on a hill raining death and damnation down on us all, but somehow, they did. I've never seen a Tiger blow up that fast.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

General Schatten wrote:Guys, I just realized they have skins for tanks, we need a PRFY skin and emblem.
Yeah, the PRFY logo on the side of my tank and Oddball sticking halfway out the hatch to chuck an empty whiskey bottle at the other tanks would be sweet. Someone go kick Zod in the leg and tell him to make another RAR thread involving people getting tanks based on post count so we can go shit some AWESOME all over it.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Wow, had a really exciting match

I was in the map with the huge plains. Anyhow I'm driving along the road on the far side and spot a JagdPanzer in the bushes taking pot shots at my team mates. Hit it twice with my L/70 and took it out, as soon as I did I took a hit from artillery taking me down to around 60%. So I keep scooting along the treeline and spot a Valentine hiding behind a rock in the middle of the field, blasting it twice in the rear it blows and another arty shot hits me taking me down to a fraction of my life. Then I noticed a PzIV (with the standardturm turret) rushing towards me, I fire two shots to his one miss and take him out. At the end of my match I took a look at my health, out of my Pz.IV's 460hp I was down to 6...
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Okay, it looks like light tanks really are not the best choice for me. I rarely do any damage and i am not even that good at scouting.
I will try out mediums (since i am nearly there anyway), but if that doesn't work out i will stick with tank destroyers. Apparently i am quite good with them, at least according to my performance :wink:
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I just had my first TK incident. Accidentally killed one of my own team's arty players. We came up with a plan before the game start timer where the lights, TDs, and heavies would advance on the enemy CAP while myself and the teams only other medium tank would hold back to guard the CAP and our artillery. One of the enemy's light tanks, a Luchs, managed to scout out our artillery and got a track blown off for his trouble, so while he was immobilized I lined up my 75/70 on him and right as I fired one of the atry guys thought it was his time to shine or some shit and move right into the line of fire. Blew his little SU-26 to bits.

Still killed the Luchs when it tried to charge me. Light tanks, never charge a medium head on from range.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Mr. Coffee wrote:Light tanks, never charge a medium head on from range.
Jesus Christ, especially not a Pz.IV with the L/70.

Anyway, just had an awesome round, took out two Pz.II Luche, a KV, a Hetzer, a Marder, a Pz.38(t), a Wespe, and a Pz.III. Earning me my first Top Gun, 1291xp, and about 25k in cash.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Just hada really good knife fight range tank dual with a PzIII/IV. He had the speed advantage on me and was trying to circle me because he noticed my big ass gun and probably knew that the larger turret I need to house the 75/70 doesn't traverase very fast. What lost the fight for him was he didn't aim low to blow out my treads which meant I could keep my gun on him by slewing the whole tank around to speed the turret traversal up and kept my tank's frontal armor towards him while he kept showing me his flank armor. He blew up good.

That's when I found out that having tank duals like that when there'sstill arty on the field ain't fun. Killed by a goddamned Wespe of all things... I blame Moriarty's negative waves.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Hey, 5 kills in a match. I REALLY have to stick to TDs - or possibly heavy tanks. I just suck with light tanks, and i don't think mediums will be much better. And the speed of the russian heavies is not actually that bad.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

BroCap, Coffee, and myself just had a pretty interesting match together. We were holding the line with our 75mm and I took out a light scout. Then I shot another, BroCap detracked him, and I finished him off. Then both Coffee and BroCap got killed by Arty and it was just me and like two other guys, a Marder decided to take his chances and I popped him. That's when I noticed I was literally the only guy left. It was me in my PzIV against a Hetzer, a Pz38(t), a StPzII, and a Su-26. I don't know what else they did.

The Hetzer tried to sneak up and cap the base and I blasted him, meanwhile the Pz.38(t) was harassing me from behind some building, I eventually got a shot off and finished him. I tried to take the fight to the remaining Arty and saw the Stumpanzer II in the field and blasted him down to 16% health and was about to kill him when the Su-26 got a lucky hit and killed me.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Yeah, Schatt went all Heroic on us that match. I was kinda pissed, got a bead on a PzIII and damned near one-shotted the guy, like fromfull armor down to 1%, and right as my gun was almost back in battery I get cheap shot arty snipped by the same Su-26 that ended up getting Schatt.

Seriously, fuck arty in this game. Fuck them right in the ear.

Also, a three player limit on platoons? Fucking fail...
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Ooops - i just got my first team kill :oops: I was taking a shot at an enemy medium tank in my TD, but i forgot to stabilize properly and the shot ended up going off in about a 45° angle - straight into a light tanks back armor, blowing him up instantly. :oops:
Lesson learned: actually make sure that my shots hit if there are friendlies around.

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

I don't think artillery would be so bad if it weren't just point and click. Make the map you see show you 10m squares and the tanks on your map are abstractions, then make it so they have to use both hands. Make it to where they actually have to use their 'a' and 'd' keys to move their vehicle and their directional keys for range and minor adjustments. Hitting a moving target is difficult bordering on impossible with artillery, even in this day and age without thinks like laser guided Copperhead rounds or GPS guided Excalibur rounds.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Frankly, the only time i had problems with artillery is when i was
-stuck in the middle of an open field due to damaged tracks
-a TD blowing up tanks left&right when scouts were nearby.

Then again, i am not a heavy tank, so my experience is probably slightly off.

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Serafina wrote:Frankly, the only time i had problems with artillery is when i was
-stuck in the middle of an open field due to damaged tracks
-a TD blowing up tanks left&right when scouts were nearby.

Then again, i am not a heavy tank, so my experience is probably slightly off.
I'm not in a heavy, I'm in a medium, in fact all three of us were in Pz.IV (BroCap has a VK3001, can't remember if it's Henschel or Porsche), Coffee and myself had the schmalturm with the L/70 and BroCap had a Standardturm* with another 75mm of some type.

*BroCap hates the big turret. :P
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

Been playing it for a while now. Up-to having researched the Tiger and fully upgraded my VK3601(H) with the 8.8cm KwK 36 l/56 gun. Just got the new treads and improved engine for it and my crew is at 98%. It feels goot to be able to effectively engage anything upto the size of IS/Tiger tanks, even at long range. Best kill so far with it is an IS-4 I managed to take down from 28%. I'll propably be keeping the VK even after I get the Tiger. It's nimble, can take a punch and can deal one so, easy free experience and credits.

My secondary is my trusty BT-2. Play quick matches with it while waiting for the VK to get out of battle. Now this little piece of russian engineering is an insanity. Upgrade it fully and it'll go 55/kph in anything except a steep slope and it will accelerate stupidly fast. Train up your crew a bit and mount the 47mm cannon on it and you will dominate the LT/Tier 1 range with impunity. My best streak with the BT-2 was 7. This hell on wheels should not be underestimated.

A friend of mine recommended WoT to me and been playing it sporadically for about two months. So it takes a while to work up to the really high tiers if you dont spend your evenings grindin away on exp and credits. But its all the more satisfying to finally get that next ride under you and I intend to play at least up to the Tiger II.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I had a fun match. I had to start the beginning of the game away from keyboard, and when I came back it was me (KV-1)+ 2 allies (Marder II and artillery) vs 7 other thanks. Ended up killing 3 tanks, the Marder 2 tanks and the artillery 1 tank. At the end it was just me vs another KV-1 but it was decided on base capping (I started capping, but instead of trying to stop me he started capping our base. Offcourse he had no way to catch up so I've no idea what he was thinking.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

General Schatten wrote:I don't think artillery would be so bad if it weren't just point and click. Make the map you see show you 10m squares and the tanks on your map are abstractions, then make it so they have to use both hands. Make it to where they actually have to use their 'a' and 'd' keys to move their vehicle and their directional keys for range and minor adjustments. Hitting a moving target is difficult bordering on impossible with artillery, even in this day and age without thinks like laser guided Copperhead rounds or GPS guided Excalibur rounds.
Dude, play as an artillery guy for an extended time before you accuse us of being point-and-click players okay? :P

We do, in fact, use the "a" and "d" keys to move our vehicles (exception: SU-26) because our guns have limited arcs. Sure, you can just mouse-scroll, but it's horridly slow that way. Faster to switch out of arty view, use a-d key to orient, and then switch back to arty view.

Also, there's always the risk of counter-battery. The best arty drivers move and reposition after every shot - sometimes without even waiting to see if their shot hit or not.

That being said, yeah, arty isn't realistic at all. But neither are most of the tanks which can survive multiple hits from enemy vehicles in the same weight class :P.

(Also, Panzer IV shouldn't really be arty bait unless the arty is dumb. That being said, a Panzer IV should really avoid getting spotted anyway. You're a sniper tank).
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

I got nine kills in my T-44 in a match a couple of nights ago. I grant you, one of them was a BT-7 that I almost think I would've been better off not wasting a bullet on, but two others were Tigers and two more were T-34-85s. Couple of midweight Panzers, an arty, and I got the last potshot on a KV. 1900+ XP and the slack-jawed cheering of my comrades watching me.

Fighting the T-44 effectively is just like driving a P-3, except your gun can murderize things and you can actually take a hit. I didn't drop below 35kph the entire match, and that was only at the end when one of my tracks was damaged.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber