World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Broken
Padawan Learner

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Broken »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
PeZook wrote:I have to grudgingly admit Nazi tanks seem suit my play style well. Goddammit.
Which ones? There's some serious variety in playstyles among them. Aim for the E-75, it's one of the greatest things I've ever driven. Like a Tiger II on steroids.
While the E-75 is a Tiger II on steroids, the E-50 is basically a Tiger II, but better in every respect. Faster, better gun, better frontal armor, even slightly smaller. I have both and both are excellent, fun tanks.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PeZook wrote:I adore the autocannon. It seems that when I get into somebody's face and unload a magazine of 20mm, they just freak out.
Yeah, autocannons make a lot of people freak out because they think "holy-shit-I'm-getting-shot-what-is-this" and don't realize that they aren't taking much more damage than they usually would from one or two shots.

Though I have been in many a position where my armor is at a nice slope and the autocannon just keeps pinging. It's a nice feeling.

I've also had people try to use autocannons on my M6. It's kind of sad, since they can't even pen the rear armor.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Victory!
Battle: Fjords Sunday, December 16, 2012 9:30:58 AM
Vehicle: T-25
Experience received: 2,748 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 39,350
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

My team was incompetent, but with the help of just a couple gold shells, and good enough speed to stem the breakthrough I saved the match.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Zinegata wrote:
wautd wrote:If you have gold to spare, the new PzIV Schmallturm premium is fucking epic.
I must admit that I love her skirts.
Do the skirts actually do anything? I seem to be able to lob HE into the sides of the P4S just as easily as the base P4, which I think is great, since it gives me even more exp and helps the team more to blow up tier 6s than tier 5s.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Victory!
Battle: Steppes 16 December 2012 20:18:31
Vehicle: T-34
Experience received: 1,544 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 21,876
Battle Achievements: Ranger

New Medal! You get it for killing all the light tanks on the enemy team, I was just one kill short of a Top Gun there too, shoot.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Imperial528 wrote:
PeZook wrote:I adore the autocannon. It seems that when I get into somebody's face and unload a magazine of 20mm, they just freak out.
Yeah, autocannons make a lot of people freak out because they think "holy-shit-I'm-getting-shot-what-is-this" and don't realize that they aren't taking much more damage than they usually would from one or two shots.

Though I have been in many a position where my armor is at a nice slope and the autocannon just keeps pinging. It's a nice feeling.

I've also had people try to use autocannons on my M6. It's kind of sad, since they can't even pen the rear armor.
I don't know if it'd work on an M6, but the other day I gnawed a T1 heavy down to nothing from full health with the 40mm autocannon on my Covenanter, only to have another T1 finish him off at 17 hp. Couldn't get through the front, but the side and rear were another story entirely.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

40mm guns have much better penetration than 20mm guns, though.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:I don't know if it'd work on an M6, but the other day I gnawed a T1 heavy down to nothing from full health with the 40mm autocannon on my Covenanter, only to have another T1 finish him off at 17 hp. Couldn't get through the front, but the side and rear were another story entirely.
I find the rear armor on the M6 has a better shape than on the T1 and that it's side armor is slightly more spaced, but they have the same thickness as the T1, stat-wise. No way a 40mm will get through the front or turret of the M6, though.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

I just got the M6 and am finding it frustrating. Any tips on playstyle/suggested unlocks for the modules? I already have the next best gun, and am working on tracks, but it just doesn't seem to turn well enough or be armored enough to my sort of favorite aggressive playstyle.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Get the 90mm as soon as you can. It really changes things up. Also, the final engine upgrade, while xp expensive, makes it as maneuverable as some of the heavier medium tanks and gets it great acceleration. Before you get those, however, it's best to play it safe.

Play style wise I find it is a very maneuverable heavy and like American mediums it benefits from soft cover (hills, etc) quite well when used properly. However, even with the up-armor (relative to the T1 HT) it doesn't do well with sustained fire. Big rule with it is to point the front end towards the threat and consider an enemy shooting at your sides as the biggest threats.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

once you get the 90mm, the M6 becomes a much better tank, but i skipped the last engine to get the T29 faster.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I did get the T29 first as well, but man, 900 horsepower makes that thing move.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:
Zinegata wrote:
wautd wrote:If you have gold to spare, the new PzIV Schmallturm premium is fucking epic.
I must admit that I love her skirts.
Do the skirts actually do anything?
Dunno, it doesn't add any additional mm based on the WoT wiki, but perhaps you get the passive spaced armour bonus?
The gun is superb, but I do feel like driving a glass cannon when a baddie comes in close, especially in higher tier matches.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Imperial528 wrote:I did get the T29 first as well, but man, 900 horsepower makes that thing move.
Correction: 960 horsepower.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Don't be afraid to ram, and the engine should've been picked up in the T1, because it's a lot of what makes that tank awesome. Being able to out accelerate a Sherman is hilarious. Flanking tends to work well with the M6 because it accelerates fast so it can respond quickly, but do it around cover because it is kind of fragile. Get the gun first, because the extra pen is vital. You can also do hilarious things to most mediums in the tier because your acceleration is excellent and you have a big gun by their standards.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Is it ever worth running AP in a KV-2? The extra 30mm of pen would mean you're consistently one-shotting tier 4s and 5s, but with that long of reload, I think I'd sorely miss the half-damage a non penetrating HE has.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Most things the AP can penetrate that the HE round can't are:

1) Strong enemy tanks with lots of HP, where even the AP round's penetration is iffy, and relying on the HE's blast damage might be better, or
2) Enemy tanks whose best armor is something like ~80-90mm. Tanks in that range are usually frail enough that you can blow them away with an HE round whether it penetrates or not.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Victory!
Battle: Cliff Monday, December 17, 2012 4:37:16 PM
Vehicle: M3 Lee
Experience received: 866 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 8,683
Battle Achievements: Reaper

Didn't expect to get Reaper with the Lee. Then again, the three enemies I reaped were two wounded light tanks and an SPG foolish enough to charge into the front line.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Victory!
Battle: Dragon Ridge Monday, December 17, 2012 4:53:14 PM
Vehicle: PzKpfw 38 nA
Experience received: 273
Credits received: 7,254 (compensation for damage caused by allies: 80)
Battle Achievements: Spartan

As for this, I'm still wondering how I managed to withstand a direct frontal hit from a KV-1S.

ImageImageImage
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I had a lovely round in my M4A2E4 with over six kills and a smattering of medals. And when I got taken out we were 7 to 3. We still lost however as the Panther that killed me went on to get the other 6 tanks for a total of 10 kills. So good round for me, great round for Random Panther.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I know how you feel Bean, I just had the following match

Defeat
Battle: Malinovka 18 December 2012 02:44:59
Vehicle: Churchill VII
Experience received: 842
Credits received: 46,299
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

That's more XP then some first victories I have :P

And of course the team still lost, despite me single handedly holding an entire flank, trundling across the battlefield and downing a T 150 a KV 1S, a KV, a Hetzer and another TD of some kind. One kill short of a Top Gun! Having taken a huge bite out of the upper enemy tiers, single handedly capturing the enemy base.

Nope, other flank disintergrates and the entire surviving enemy team heads into our base and outcaps it, darn >:(
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Tuesday, December 18, 2012 6:31:38 AM
Vehicle: M37
Experience received: 1,276 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 12,440
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

I'm posting this because frankly it was a fun game. At the end we were down to two artillery and two TD, and they had three tanks and one arty. Their tanks were stupid and would get in range, and sit there and fire. One managed to kill our SU-85 first, but after that it was down to myself, an SU-5, and a T49 vs their leFH. The T49 was making its way into their base and it got killed by the leFH, so I took matters into my own hands and charged across the battlefield. I told the SU-5 to cover me but the best it could do was use its last shot to track the leFH.

I killed the leFH by circling a building faster than it could, and as it was turning around to face me I put a shell into its side.

All in all a good match. Also made 10k, more than my T29 made the whole morning.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

I speculate that wargaming will introduce a line of American lights after the Chafee, probably the M41 and the T92.

At least that's what I'm guessing.

I wonder as I grind to an E-100, whether or not to keep my Tiger tank. It's pretty good, although it has the armor of a Tier VI heavy tank, while the Jumbo Sherman is probably better armored, making the Tiger good only as a TD.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Jumbo Sherman has better front protection, but is not reliably armored against Tier 7 guns; it would not be impressive as a 'heavily armored' vehicle in Tier 7. Also its guns stink against most Tier 7 and higher opponents.

The Tiger is not reliably armored against Tier 7 opponents, but at least has firepower parity with most of them, and the long range accuracy to give it a combat niche against such enemies. A 200mm pen gun makes up for a multitude of weaknesses.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Victory!
Battle: Live Oaks Friday, December 21, 2012 4:25:04 AM
Vehicle: Valentine
Experience received: 3,655 (x5 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 24,081 (compensation for damage caused by allies: 45)
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Another good day for driving a British tank, it seems. Fell short of breaking my record for most XP in a single match and potentially getting Ace Tanker, though. In any case, still surprised I made it through in the first place.

ImageImageImage