STGOD2 OOC Thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Darksider wrote:Hey guys, i still need to know what happned during the final war of the STGOD MK. 1 (SD.net) so i can do my history.
Mass genocide with most of the alien races wiped out totally and the major powers reduced to survival levels. (See my history for details)
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I'm assuming the floater's started it (Since thirdfain dosen't appear to be around anymore)
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Darksider wrote:I'm assuming the floater's started it (Since thirdfain dosen't appear to be around anymore)
Sort of. I'm pretty much going from the genocidal war begun at the end of the STGOD.
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Alright, considering what we're hearing about nationsize I'm gonna set the UTR at 42 Star Systems.

The UTR is divided into five Districts, the Four Outer Districts of nine systems each and the Home District of six systems. The systems of the Home District are all very heavily populated and industrialized with an average system population of 1.5 trillion people.

Unfortunately due to the Armageddon War, and the following three hundred years of low intensity conflict, most of the UTRs economy is dedicated to the rebuilding of the outer districts. Over Populatin is also a problem on some Home District planets.

The capital of the UTR is Earth and has a planetary population of 1 billion, the system population though is 800 billion, with Mars being the economic center of the system with a population of 90 billion people living on the planet. Mars was taken by the UTR from the Mars Pact soon after the fall of the collective.

The worlds of the Outer Districts are all less industrialized and with lower populations. These worlds have always suffered near constant attacks since the War. Some of the worlds in the Outer Districts have only been returned to the UTR in the last fifty years. Average system population is around 20 billion people.

These worlds served as a buffer for the Home District throughout the Dark Years, because of this most military officers and enlisted personnel are from the Outer Districts but the economic power to build and maintain the fleet itself comes from the Home District. Aslo soem of these worlds suffered severe attacks and are still recovering, several planets had to have there entire biosphere replaced, and were terraformed like a world that had never before been habitable.

The UTRN is divided into five Fleets, each assigned to one District which they recruit most of there enlisted from, officers are recruited from all over the UTR and centrally trained at the UTR Naval Academy on Mars. Officers are transferred regualraly from the different Fleets so as to maintain a central unity to the UTR as a whole and not to an individual fleet or district, it also serves to assure a unified naval doctrine.

Home Fleet, assigned to the Home District, is the UTRs central strategic reserve and is equiped with heavier units for Fleet Combat against major threats. This Fleet has all the navys Battleships, Dreadnoughts and Assault Carriers. It is also somewhat light in scouting elements but does field a very powerful cruiser screen.

First through Fourth Fleets are assigned to the Outer Districts. These forces are intended for commerce protection and to serve as a District wide rapid reaction force.

So these fleets have very heavy scouting elements (Frigates, Destroyers) a medium sized screening forces (Light and Heavy Cruisers), and a small battle line of BattleCruisers that lack the firepower of BBs or DNs but make up for it with a higher speed that is deemed more important then firepower against the threat usually faced by the Outer Fleets. The carrier element is larger in the number of carrier hulls deployed but actually deploys a somewhat smaller number of fighters compared to Home Fleet. This is because the outer fleets use Light Carriers with some Fleet Carriers, while Home Fleet uses only Fleet and even heavier Assault Carriers.

BTW, I was thinking to keep track of things we should start a dating system, make the present date 300 After War or some such, that way we've got a way to keep track of history better.

So does this seem a fair way to balance a power that's left over from the old STGOD against newer less developed ones?
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:[Idealist]I'd like to see a game where the Mods can randomly 'sprinkle' derelicts and ruins so that conflict gets kicked up over an actual, real, advantage.[/Idealist]
<Kzinti salvager> Hrm, what's this? An somewhat-intact SKS supermonitor? </Kzinit>
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

phongn wrote:
SirNitram wrote:[Idealist]I'd like to see a game where the Mods can randomly 'sprinkle' derelicts and ruins so that conflict gets kicked up over an actual, real, advantage.[/Idealist]
<Kzinti salvager> Hrm, what's this? An somewhat-intact SKS supermonitor? </Kzinit>
YES! It IS! Go on board, and find out exactly how salvageable it is! :twisted:

Redshirt: Sir, what's this junk on the walls?

Commando: I dunno, be ready for anything

*Guns go off at random*

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!

.......and so it begins....
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

More like they accidentially activate the anti-intruder defenses and are literally liquified, but that wouldn't be any fun.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

So shall we properly start or is there more we need to cover?
Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Stormbringer wrote:So shall we properly start or is there more we need to cover?
Well the way we used to do it in ASVS was one thread like this, detailing cultural and economic info, just letting everyone know about our characters, and setting up some background for everyone to use. This is when you try to determine who'd going to be involved

Then you had the Force Declarations Thread, which was listing your Naval Strength and military forces, basically your OOB. Speaking of which, how are we doing this? Are we going to have the reserves our not? And how do you want to declare those? PM?

Then you had the DTGOD, or "posturing" thread. Basically this is where you talk shit before you open fire. It helps build up the universe, makes it a little more immersive, less just blowing shit up, you can get actual intrique.

Then you've got the STGOD itself.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:So shall we properly start or is there more we need to cover?
*raises hand*

Can I still join at my own peril? and if so, I can think up a nice, little star empire?
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Okay. Started a Civilization/OOB thread.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

phongn wrote:
I think in the early game where defenses are probably weaker what I'd hate to see is:

"Hmm what's this? An operational NRMD M-Wing with MDD technology?"
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Oh, I will make one request. As we seem to have somewhat new people in the STGOD, can we go light on the acronyms for the first few posts? I'd like to know what's going on without thinking to myself : "WOW! Good move! He MLD'd his WDU!!! But I thought he DFU the FFR while playing DDR with 2LC...interesting..."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Indeed, I'm having a hard time following the ASVS history stuff.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

M-Wing: Fighter fielded by the New Republic Military Dictatorship, generally considered the most dangerous fighter in the Multiverse. While not the most maneuverable of craft, she fielded the Molecular Disruption Device.. Sometimes called the Little Doctor.. Rendering her capable of utterly dismantling fleets of lesser vessels. Some also fielded a Philote Drive, a device that allowed it to effortlessly leap between points in multiple realities with almost no drive signature.

She is SCARY.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dahak wrote:
*raises hand*

Can I still join at my own peril? and if so, I can think up a nice, little star empire?
Go ahead. Everyone is welcome.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Stormbringer wrote:
Dahak wrote:
*raises hand*

So what is permissible?

My idea is a small polity, say 10 systems-ish, on the verge of the unknown. Founded by humans, originally sent to a different region, and transporeted to their new home system by an Accidental Wormhole (TM). Barring any normal planets, the colony-to-be settled in the atmosphere of one of the prevailing gas giants, and as up today prefer their floating cities to normal planets...
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Dahak wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Dahak wrote: *raises hand*

So what is permissible?

My idea is a small polity, say 10 systems-ish, on the verge of the unknown. Founded by humans, originally sent to a different region, and transporeted to their new home system by an Accidental Wormhole (TM). Barring any normal planets, the colony-to-be settled in the atmosphere of one of the prevailing gas giants, and as up today prefer their floating cities to normal planets...
That's fine. Pretty original, too.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Stormbringer wrote:Indeed, I'm having a hard time following the ASVS history stuff.
So don't try so hard, what really matters is the story each player contributes to make.

And as for enslaving Kzin:
Don't bother trying. They fight to the death and never surrender unless they are some very compelling reasons not to (and there almost never are). Females and infants are killed rather than allowed to fall into enemy hands. It's basically the WWII Japanese infantry on steroids, except that they have the natural skills and technological equipment to achieve a damn fine kill ratio against humans. As you can guess, trying to capture a Kzin-held world is a nightmare.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:M-Wing: Fighter fielded by the New Republic Military Dictatorship, generally considered the most dangerous fighter in the Multiverse. While not the most maneuverable of craft, she fielded the Molecular Disruption Device.. Sometimes called the Little Doctor.. Rendering her capable of utterly dismantling fleets of lesser vessels. Some also fielded a Philote Drive, a device that allowed it to effortlessly leap between points in multiple realities with almost no drive signature.
MDD isn't that difficult to counter, though - proper implementation of ERA will prevent it from consuming your ship.

Now, it's the philote drive that is annoying, since that confers strategic mobility no-one can touch. Even SKS hyperfold can't quite match it.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:MDD isn't that difficult to counter, though - proper implementation of ERA will prevent it from consuming your ship.
Unless it's fired on a planet, of course. BTW, I seem to remember that I (as SRDC) fielded the first ERA designed to counter the MDD. Not sure, though, and it wouldn't have seen much action.
--The Lord Humungus
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Actually, I had pre-existing ERA that was modified to work against the MDD (rather than just triggering it early) before the SRDC had their custom-designed solution.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Ok, there seems to be somewhat SW-level tech.
But what about FTL? Is tthere one universally used "hyperspace", or are the many possible FTL methods?
And different kinds of weapons, or all TL/Ion cannon stuff?
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Actually, I had pre-existing ERA that was modified to work against the MDD (rather than just triggering it early) before the SRDC had their custom-designed solution.
Ah, so I was technically right but functionally wrong. It's not as if it matters, of course, but it was always fun to have a little side-STGOD pissing match... like THIS!

See, that's what was missing from the SD.net games. The stupid messing around :D
--The Lord Humungus
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Dahak wrote:Ok, there seems to be somewhat SW-level tech.
But what about FTL? Is tthere one universally used "hyperspace", or are the many possible FTL methods? And different kinds of weapons, or all TL/Ion cannon stuff?
If it equates to SW tech in power and utility, it's admissible. For example, Phong uses Fold Drive technology to move his ships, which is much faster than hyperdrive but also more power intensive.
--The Lord Humungus