Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Hawkwings »

FUCK. TERROR. MISSIONS.

Also, White Haven is officially awarded a coupon good for a bottle from the Private Stash.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Hawkwings wrote: Also, White Haven is officially awarded a coupon good for a bottle from the Private Stash.
Seriously, he deserves it. He brought down three cyberdiscs and a house with a sectoid in it. He fired off so many rockets he had to run back to the Skyranger for reloads.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

also we need to start researching alien grenades and shock launchers....

sure they are a lot of resources to build, but they give the opportunity for massive enemy causualties...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Wow, that went well. For me those damn sectoid terror missions tend to turn into complete clusterfucks thanks to the leader with psionics. Too bad he wasn't captured, that might postpone X-Com's entry to the mindfuck business by quite a lot. Granted, identifying and capturing that bastard is always a tad... harrowing.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
The Yosemite Bear

are you sure he wasn't captured?

We did capture an alien alive in the last terror mission, and he had a pistol like all good officers...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:are you sure he wasn't captured?

We did capture an alien alive in the last terror mission, and he had a pistol like all good officers...
It'll be the one with Weemadando's bootprints on it, and he was a medic.

Given that no psionics were recorded on this mission, the leader probably bought it in the opening rocket volleys.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Vendetta wrote: Given that no psionics were recorded on this mission, the leader probably bought it in the opening rocket volleys.
I'm fairly certain that the one Ohma got in the alley was the leader. It was immediately after that that we started taking fire on the aliens' turns, and since we suffered no psionic attacks, it meant we got the leader by then, as the leader will psi the shit out of you if any of his troops have line of sight with anything you control. The other aliens were too close to the LZ to be leaders.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Well, if there's still room for one more, I can work in the supply department. I'll be the lord and master of the storage rooms!
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Well, this thread finally made me take up UFO too :) . First two months no casualties, one terror mission and a few crashed UFOs recovered, then came March and all hell broke loose. First a sectoid-crewed Harvester was caught intact on the ground, and in the resulting psionic clusterfuck 60% of the team died, but at least a leader was captured so psionics are now in the pipeline for X-Com too. Beware you gray fuckers, you'll get a taste of your own medicine in a few months. The next operation was assaulting a Terror Ship that was shot down over Sahara. The result of that was an even worse psi-clusterfuck exacerbated by having to fight cyberdiscs at close quarters (ouch). Casualties on that one were tolerable, merely 70% :P .

It's such a lovely game :D .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am not quite sure how the hell you can beat the game without save scumming out of casualties: before long, aliens turn into psionic snipers, while fresh rookies can't shoot for shit, so get even more horribly slaughtered during missions...

The endgame is tedious enough as it is without having to train your psykers again and again and again for six months each so that they have an actual chance of surviving an ethereal encounter.

Also, my scientists are full of shit. "We are fighting a losing battle on earth". Yeah, with a 90% UFO shootdown rate, and aliens dependent on Earth for their food supply I'm sure their limited amounts of ships and manpower won't run out. Not at all :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Karza wrote:Well, this thread finally made me take up UFO too :) . First two months no casualties, one terror mission and a few crashed UFOs recovered, then came March and all hell broke loose. First a sectoid-crewed Harvester was caught intact on the ground, and in the resulting psionic clusterfuck 60% of the team died, but at least a leader was captured so psionics are now in the pipeline for X-Com too. Beware you gray fuckers, you'll get a taste of your own medicine in a few months. The next operation was assaulting a Terror Ship that was shot down over Sahara. The result of that was an even worse psi-clusterfuck exacerbated by having to fight cyberdiscs at close quarters (ouch). Casualties on that one were tolerable, merely 70% :P .

It's such a lovely game :D .
Somewhat cheaty method of dealing with psionics: Save at the beginning of the mission and play it normally. Figure out which of your guys the psi troops like targeting. Reload the mission, disarm him and leave him on the Skyranger/other transport.

90% of the time they'll target him and only him, leaving the rest of the team unmind-raped.

Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Peptuck wrote:Somewhat cheaty method of dealing with psionics: Save at the beginning of the mission and play it normally. Figure out which of your guys the psi troops like targeting. Reload the mission, disarm him and leave him on the Skyranger/other transport.

90% of the time they'll target him and only him, leaving the rest of the team unmind-raped.
Yeah I know, but that and savescumming are the sort of tricks I'm just temperamentally opposed to. Anyway, the casualty rate goes way down once I get my own guys psi-trained and kitted with power armor.
PeZook wrote:The endgame is tedious enough as it is without having to train your psykers again and again and again for six months each so that they have an actual chance of surviving an ethereal encounter.
Been a while since I was far enough to have psykers, but as I recall the guys with good psi strength pick up the skill pretty quickly in the field. Just have them sit back in the transport spamming mind control on anything spotted by the more expendable soldiers.
- Dylan Moran
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You could also have everyone unload their guns, send a rookie out of the transport, look which of the guys are being mind-raped and then have everyone else lock & load.

On later missions, you can have only that guy unload his gun.

I just save scum, though :)

Some people apparently don't like me, though, and made an x-com remake with battlescape saving disabled by default.

"Because it takes the fear away, and you should be afraid!" - and not have a job, kids or obligations, apparently :)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

PeZook wrote:I just save scum, though :)

Some people apparently don't like me, though, and made an x-com remake with battlescape saving disabled by default.

"Because it takes the fear away, and you should be afraid!" - and not have a job, kids or obligations, apparently :)
Don't get me started on that :) . Even though I prefer to play X-Com and games like it without saving mid-battle, sometimes I do in fact need to unexpectedly leave the computer RIGHT NOW so I want the option to be there.

Restricting saves always seems retarded to me. There are good reasons to have free saving and it's not like keeping your finger off the save button is so monstrously hard if you want the extra challenge :P .
- Dylan Moran
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PeZook wrote:You could also have everyone unload their guns, send a rookie out of the transport, look which of the guys are being mind-raped and then have everyone else lock & load.

On later missions, you can have only that guy unload his gun.

I just save scum, though :)

XcomUtil allows you to go all the way the other way and turn of psionics.

Of course this does mean you can't complete the last mission in one turn any more with chained psi attacks. Because they're just as game breaking when you get them as for the xeno scum.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I always found psionics horribly annoying. Oh, you built the psi-lab on the 2nd day of the month? No psi for you! Wait 60 days before even knowing the statistics on your guys!

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Psionics and (less seriously) the Blaster Launcher basically break the game at the tactical level, they're just too powerful and fuck over the normal tactical balance of play. (Though in your hands at least the blaster launcher has the limitation of expensive to build ammo)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Vendetta wrote:Psionics and (less seriously) the Blaster Launcher basically break the game at the tactical level, they're just too powerful and fuck over the normal tactical balance of play. (Though in your hands at least the blaster launcher has the limitation of expensive to build ammo)
Once the first alien base appears, Elerium effectively ceases to be limited and rare, though.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

True. It's a pity supply ship piracy doesn't do anything more than tick the aliens off and get them to do retaliation missions more often.

Being able to starve a base out and then take it on with a weaker garrison would have been cool.
MJ12 Commando
Padawan Learner

Post by MJ12 Commando »

PeZook wrote:
Once the first alien base appears, Elerium effectively ceases to be limited and rare, though.
Well you can just shut the bases down ASAP without supply ship raiding, which is equally valid for the challenge of things.
The Yosemite Bear

Karza your not the only one, I got a steam account just so I could legally download a game I bought originally on 3.5" floppies....

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Short update today. Prince of Persia calls.

-

The mood back at Skynerfed was a somber one as the team disembarked. Though they had stopped the alien invasion, taken one alien alive, and Colonel Haven was now sprouting three inches of spontaneous beard and had all the female base crew swooning over his impossible rocketry manliness, the team had suffered their first casualty. And more importantly, they'd lost another rocket HWP.

"FOUR HUNDRED GRAND!" echoed repeatedly down the hallways from Commander Wong's office.

It is currently expected that it will take us a week to replace the lost HWP.

In the meantime, our crack team of fifty of the best and brightest scientists in the world are hard at work trying to figure out the small launcher and how it operates. When asked for a progress update, Commander Wong received the following report:

Code: Select all

To: Commander Michael Wong, X-COM
Subject: Progress report on study of Artifact #22, "Small Launcher" 

We have no fucking clue how this thing works.
Doctor "Yosemite" Bear immediately grabbed the box containing our sedated and cryogenically frozen prisoner and carted it off to our new Alien Containment facility, cackling madly the whole way there.

On the engineering front, Chief Engineer Fnord reports that his staff has cranked out more than twenty laser cannons, which have been eagerly purchased by various customers who are unaware of the defective design that will cause them to break down in a couple of months without X-COM-supplied parts. Profits from these sales are believed to be in excess of $2 million.

Two laser cannons have been mounted on Interceptor-02, piloted by Phred. Coalition's Interceptor, meanwhile, has been modified to carry six Avalanche missiles, giving it enough firepower to punch a hole in the sun.

For Vodkaville, we have almost finished construction of its radar array and the stores facility to contain munitions for its Interceptor. Once that is complete, we will begin construction of the remaining general stores and workshops, and begin moving new engineering staff in.

No new contacts occurred during the remainder of February. However, with the success of our rescue of Brasilia, we believe that the Council of Funding Nations will be pleased by our efforts.

What the Christ. Fuck you too, China! :finger: See if we ever save your asses from anal probing!

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Code: Select all

To: Commander Michael Wong, X-COM
Subject: The most recent HWP 

I'm sorry sir.  Ever since the base doctor posted guards equipped with guns breathalysers at my station, I haven't been able to focus on my work.  I'm certain my performance would rebound to pre-prohibition levels (and possibly even higher) if this impediment in my working environment were to be removed.

I'm just sayin'...
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

if you have a spare interceptor, have it patrol china for a bit. Assuming it can reach there. Ten to one, there's a base there.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Vendetta wrote: Being able to starve a base out and then take it on with a weaker garrison would have been cool.
Yeah, I thought it would be cool as well. After all, alien technology is utterly dependent on Elerium: what is a base commander gonna do without it, use sticks?

Though I actually think it should be entirely possible for Earth to win a war against the aliens by classic attrition: an "achilles heel" type of villain weakness was already a cliche way before 1993.

Also, while Cydonia is already absurdly easy (Four blaster launcher tanks + five blaster launchers for infantry = instant win), I find it amusing they didn't simply load a huge pile of nukes into the elevator and sent it down for the aliens to choke on :D