Let's play: SCRAMming up!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's play: SCRAMming up!

Post by Simon_Jester »

Spoiler
Privacy will be easy compared to the toilet itself. A privacy screen is quite simple to rig, relative to a zero-gravity toilet.

I have no idea how to do this, aside from trying to get ahold of one already in existence and manufactured for another spacecraft and bolting into place as best we can. Designing one, with an engineering team roughly equivalent to one engineer (possibly one drunk engineer) and two weeks to work in, is out of the question- it wouldn't work the first time barring miracles of MAD SCIENCE even by MAD SCIENTIST standards, and we don't have time for much trial and error.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Spoiler
FYI guys I'm leaving for a week long field trip in Spain in a few hours. I may have interweb access, I may not, so don't expect contributions from me this week

PeZook, you can fill in my parts if you do an update, just make sure they are reasonably in character for BADASS/KAMIKAZE SPACE PILOT
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

ACTIVATE PROSTHETIC FOOT FLASHLIGHT

AND FLESHLIGHT
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

REPAIR GUY orders COMPATIBLE TOILET and PAYS for OVERNIGHT DELIVERY.

"Now we just need that expert to fix the tile."
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

HISTORIAN tries to find SOURCE OF SOUND.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Spoiler
Can I join? I now kinda get the theme of a TGOD and how to participate; I'll try not to screw up the thread like I did with the Tropico thread *cough*

If I can join, I think a good place for me to join in without bringing in anything significantly new would be to be one of the things in the basement, as nobody has actually said what they are yet.
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Spoiler
Let's wait for PeZook to be available again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, I have bad news.

Throughout the Easter weekend, I have come to realize posting in this thread has become a chore. And obviously it was not devised as a chore, but a pleasant distraction. Through the weekend it has come so far that I have avoided reading the thread altogether, going "meh".

Adding to that, increasing demands on my time here on the board and elsewhere have made it significantly more difficult to actually put together coherent posts, and led to longer and longer delays between stuff happening.

So...I figure it's time to end it. I would propose an "indefinite postponement until inspiration hits again", but let's be honest here: only an incredibly small percentage of "suspended" STGODs actually see a continuation.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Darn.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Rats. I know how it goes, but. Well.

I hope that somewhere out there, in some dreamlike space-Valhalla, the lunacy goes on.

I'll always remember the AMATEUR ZERO-G FIGHTING, the MAD SCIENCE, the RANDOM CAPITALIZATION.

But what I'll mostly remember was the laughter. And the CACKLING.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Oh well, I was getting unfunny and all-business anyway.

Still though, it was a fun attempt. Perhaps part of the problem is too many random people joining in and needed to be kept track of (and the people that hang in once or twice and then disappear)?

Either way, thanks PeZook for the fun already provided.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I was simply running out of jokes :D

If we ever do anything remotely like that again, I will analyze the problems and try to come up with solutions.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Yes, humour is much more difficult to write than one would think. Or at least, for some people. I don't think like that.

Tell me though, what if someone else took over?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Huh. I didn't think anyone would want to :)

But sure, why not. It would be interesting to see.

P.S.

The CAPITALIZATION was not RANDOM.

:D

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Yeah, I would volunteer but definitely not now (and not sure that I would be the best candidate anyway: I think we would need someone with a better sense of humour). I have school-leaving exams in the next week and the weeks to come.

Still though, I don't want to let this die without at least trying to see whether we can keep it alive a little longer, we were just about to start making a serious business and all. :D
Credo!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

It had a good run. Given how much time I have kicking around right now, I would volunteer to keep it running, but I won't be able to start until this coming Sunday.

Also, I doubt I have PeZooks humorous writing skills. But I'll give it a go if people want this to continue.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Since it's semi-officially over now, I feel like now is the right time to ask: what direction did you originally see this going in? What did you figure that we might do?

Because I know from my own experience that those predictions are almost never close to what actually happens. :P
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Was it based off of The Editing Room's abridged movie scripts?
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Scottish Ninja wrote:Since it's semi-officially over now, I feel like now is the right time to ask: what direction did you originally see this going in? What did you figure that we might do?

Because I know from my own experience that those predictions are almost never close to what actually happens. :P
Well, I envisioned it as an actual Let's Play, where a bunch of players who barely know anything about spaceflight would make decisions on what to do with the spaceplane and when.

And thus inevitably die in a fire :P

It turned out into more of an RPG.
fajner1 wrote:
Was it based off of The Editing Room's abridged movie scripts?
Actually I based it on MUDs: I tried to keep the RANDOM CAPITALIZATION to NOUNS and ADJECTIVES like OLD MUDS did due to LIMITATIONS of DATA STORAGE.

It drifted a bit, yeah, but was never random :D

noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I'm actually quite surprised that when I asked if I could join, nobody started yelling at me :shock:

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

So, again, does somebody feel like taking over PeZook's place? Preferably someone who himself isn't a player or can remove himself as one.
fajner1 wrote:I'm actually quite surprised that when I asked if I could join, nobody started yelling at me :shock:
Why would we do that?
Credo!
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Zixinus wrote:
fajner1 wrote:I'm actually quite surprised that when I asked if I could join, nobody started yelling at me :shock:
Why would we do that?

Well, there was a thread a while back about SDN taking over the government of Tropico and setting up a new one. I completely missed the "theme" of a TGOD, and basically started spamming random stuff. Then Thanas got angry at me and I created basically a carbon copy of the thread on another board.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I would take it on, but it may be difficult to remove myself as a player, seeing how I'm the pilot and all.

I can give it a try, if you guys want me to.

noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Why would you need to remove yourself as a player? I mean, the... author?... of the thread controls several people already (the dog, Tropical Beauty, the hobo, the owners of Okhtosk).

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

For similar reasons as to why it's usually a bad sign that directors star in their own films: ego can easily come into play.

PeZook controls several characters, but they are more like NPCs rather than played characters.
Credo!