World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Warships

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Man so most images are blocked at work(which is when I usually browse SDN) so I didn't really see the sort of damage levels and XP people were making in this thread.

I am nto the sort of guy you would want in charge of a warship.
Eh, it is a learning curve. Don't be discouraged by it. I was a total potato until I hit 600 games.
^ That. And really, if you're aware that you're not a great player, you're actually already way out ahead of the average donkey who plays these games.

If you want to make a concerted effort, the single biggest thing is situational awareness. It's what I struggle with most, still. Being aware of where your allies are, where the enemies are (and aren't) means you can put yourself in the right position to support/defend/cap/push/etc. And less likely to get deleted by the BB you forgot you were giving the broadside to/island that had a DD behind it.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I had a pleasant surprise in my Pensacola just now:

It was nice since I still really haven't gotten the hang of the ship.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nicely done.

So I got up early to clinch my last few ARP Takao games (because, like, free Atago), only to find that apparently the server roll-over doesn't account for Daylight Savings, and worse my first game didn't get credited to either the November or December challenge.

If I hadn't gotten a 1982 base XP game on my daily double I would be slightly less annoyed.

Put in a ticket, see if I can at least get something towards the December grind.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Venator wrote:
So I got up early to clinch my last few ARP Takao games (because, like, free Atago)
Wait... please don't say the ARP ships were temporary? Because I just got mine but did not have the time to play it yet :(
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote:
Venator wrote:
So I got up early to clinch my last few ARP Takao games (because, like, free Atago)
Wait... please don't say the ARP ships were temporary? Because I just got mine but did not have the time to play it yet :(
They are permanent. But you cannot acquire the ships after December.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thanas wrote:
wautd wrote:
Venator wrote:
They are permanent. But you cannot acquire the ships after December.
Oh OK, phew
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So somebody at Wargaming fucked up and now everybody who has the new IJN DDs also has free permanent premium camouflage worth 10k or more doubloons in port.

Lovely bug :mrgreen:
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:So somebody at Wargaming fucked up and now everybody who has the new IJN DDs also has free permanent premium camouflage worth 10k or more doubloons in port.

Mother fucker! I knew I should have grinding the Meh-suki more...
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Thanas wrote:So somebody at Wargaming fucked up and now everybody who has the new IJN DDs also has free permanent premium camouflage worth 10k or more doubloons in port.

I give it ten days until they find an excuse to take the camo away. Just like M60_Jesus' Patton.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

It's being removed next patch, enjoy while you can.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If you guys are interested in premium time there currently is a discount for premium time in WoT, which also is usable for WoWs. For the Europeans it is this link:

http://calendar.worldoftanks.eu/de
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Finally unlocked the Benson. Fabulous, fabulous little boat, even stock.

Anyone used Steering Gear Mod 3? I went with Concealment, because duh, but it looks on paper like there might finally be some reason to maybe not do so.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ghetto edit - Mighty Mo' stats announced:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/itsabouttime/

750,000 free XP lying around? Now you know what to do with it!

It comes with an animated fighting ship's cook on deck, modeled after some guy who did a few action movies.

It also has better citadel armour than the Iowa, and looses the floatplane for radar, because reasons.

And 2x credits/0.5x repair costs and your choice of two double-XP camos.

:shock:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I'm more excited for the Alabama tbh. I also hope we see an Alaska soon.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thanas wrote:So on to the british cruisers: T1-4 are uselesss waste.

T5 is a lot of fun. With the smoke screen they are perfectly viable ships. If you get a div mate you can stay in smoke the entire match.
I kinda like the Danae actually. Dunno if I had some good games in in because I'm good with the ship or because the other team tends to suck in low tier and I get lucky now and then. It's just a big destroyer really.

It's the Emerald I've been struggling with but only played a few games in it so far. I'm mostly taking out the Tirpitz for a spin to get that ARP Atago
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

How did you guys manage to aim so well? My aiming is just downright terrible. I'm fine if the ship is a Crusier that allows me to fire rapidly to account for my poor aim, but I will just get destroyed as a Battleship.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Mostly just experience.

First, you look at the exhaust smoke from the enemy ship to see if it is standing upright, slightly trailing or full trail, or if it is being pulled back. Upright = full stopped, pulled back = reversing, slightly trailing = half speed and full trail = full speed.

Then you base your aim off that. Depending on the shell velocities and distance you have to vary your aim.

------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, just did 282k damage in one game, my new record - despite being spotted almost the entire match.
Tanked 2.3 mil potential damage.

Link to replay here.

------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

ray245 wrote:How did you guys manage to aim so well? My aiming is just downright terrible. I'm fine if the ship is a Crusier that allows me to fire rapidly to account for my poor aim, but I will just get destroyed as a Battleship.
Just practice, really. It still takes me a while to get used to the Atlanta's hang time again if I've been playing a BB.

You might find switching to a different crosshair helps you estimate heading. I also like to stagger my fire if I'm not certain of the hit, so if I have AB XY turrets I can either fire A - B - X - Y with increasing or decreasing lead, rather than a cluster of ABXY that might all miss. Or, you can fire A, wait to see if it's on target, and fire BXY as a salvo after adjusting.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:You might find switching to a different crosshair helps you estimate heading. I also like to stagger my fire if I'm not certain of the hit, so if I have AB XY turrets I can either fire A - B - X - Y with increasing or decreasing lead, rather than a cluster of ABXY that might all miss. Or, you can fire A, wait to see if it's on target, and fire BXY as a salvo after adjusting.
That is a really bad advice because WG has somehow messed up the formula so that you always want to fire entire salvos for increased accuracy. Otherwise, RNG will be calculated for each turret - instead of one RNG roll for the entire salvo.

My hitrate is 5% higher when firing entire salvos than when firing alone.

Yes it takes more practice. But it is much more rewarding.
------------
------------
My LPs
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Post by darthkommandant »

Got this in my result in my opening Thanksgiving Battle. I think this is my Max Damage per match i ever had.
Tiger II fanboy
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Venator wrote:You might find switching to a different crosshair helps you estimate heading. I also like to stagger my fire if I'm not certain of the hit, so if I have AB XY turrets I can either fire A - B - X - Y with increasing or decreasing lead, rather than a cluster of ABXY that might all miss. Or, you can fire A, wait to see if it's on target, and fire BXY as a salvo after adjusting.
That is a really bad advice because WG has somehow messed up the formula so that you always want to fire entire salvos for increased accuracy. Otherwise, RNG will be calculated for each turret - instead of one RNG roll for the entire salvo.

My hitrate is 5% higher when firing entire salvos than when firing alone.

Yes it takes more practice. But it is much more rewarding.
I need to read patch notes more, and expect logical behaviour from WG less. I stand corrected...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This video is hard to take seriously, I am merely posting it here for comedic value.

Complaining about state of BB line while max-range sniping with spotter plane at T9. LOOOOL.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Got some ARP ships! The ARP Kongo and ARP Hei.

Do these go away at the end of the month?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »