STGOD2 OOC Thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:I don't want to go as low as 20-30 worlds for a notable power, unless we're talking about 20-30 very galactically important worlds. For the Kzin, I was thinking a territory size of about a third or a quarter of what the SKS looked like back in the day. For RP purposes I'll want to be one of the largest powers, but my state will be classic Kzin and thus not too tough.
I was thinking 20-30 world along the lines of a 40K hive world or a Fondor or Kuat from Star Wars. Big, important and heavily populated worlds fed by a network of smaller colony worlds.
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

There might be a bit of trouble with your nation hating aliens combined with the presence of an alien race's homeworld within 100 light years of your own. Are we in cold war sort of situation, or what?
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Raxmei wrote:There might be a bit of trouble with your nation hating aliens combined with the presence of an alien race's homeworld within 100 light years of your own. Are we in cold war sort of situation, or what?
In all likelyhood. They might hate aliens but they wouldn't necessarily want to get wiped out to slaughter said aliens. A cold war would actually fit in well all in all.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Aquarius union is a nation of intelligent, hard working and generally liberal and accepting aquatic peoples.

Folowing a brutal interstellar war with a race known as the Mythell, the aquatic people of the Union have only recently put themselves on te galactic map with a series of rapid colonizations of several worlds with large tropical oeasn which they favor.

The symbiotic and cmplimentary relationship between the three races of the union, and the cosmopolitain and accepting nature of the democratic government, make them an interesting addition to the galactic scene.

Military:

The function and form of the various military ships closely follow those of ocean creatures from planet earth(near parallel evoluion of cephalapods jellyfish, and ray finned fish)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

phongn wrote:The SKS probably kept the core area around Enigma and Nemesis, but many of the Northern areas splintered off. It's not like the SKS particularly cares, we can't afford to patrol them and as long as we keep our cash cow everything's good.
At least, thanks to the CW-SCEF making a mostly permanent wormhole there, you don't have to worry too much about the expensive jumpgates anymore. Just traffic control.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Helloooooooooo

Anyone???

Can i still join?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

I should think so.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Alright, if i can still join i'll just re-use the KSE with a few changes.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

The DE went "beyond the rim" so they are a non-issue.

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

It would help to know a little history.

What happned during the last war (The one we never got to finish)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Crayz9000 wrote:
phongn wrote:The SKS probably kept the core area around Enigma and Nemesis, but many of the Northern areas splintered off. It's not like the SKS particularly cares, we can't afford to patrol them and as long as we keep our cash cow everything's good.
At least, thanks to the CW-SCEF making a mostly permanent wormhole there, you don't have to worry too much about the expensive jumpgates anymore. Just traffic control.
We actually built a giant jumpgate control system around it to modulate the wormhole so we can block it if neccessary. The classic SKS paranoia, you see.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Darksider wrote:Helloooooooooo

Anyone???

Can i still join?
You certainly can. Go ahead and join if you're interested.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

To answer the modding question, I think myself and Stormbringer are sharing the duty.

The Black Alliance.

A collection of pirates, robber-barons, corrupt politicians, and daring slicers formed together into a kingdom with, basically, one goal: To collect booty. Set up in the former region of space dominated by an ill-fated Vong invasion, the Black Alliance controls nearly forty major worlds, and holds sway over far more smaller ones for ransom and tribute.

Slavery, drugrunning, illegal weapons.. If someone hates it, someone here does it. Uncouth to the extreme, the near-universally detested Alliance is suffered to live only because they wield as much power as a modern nation.

Their ships focus almost entirely on heavy ion-style weaponry, with small fighters for precision work. Lazy to the extreme, they almost never bother with ground troops.. Captured ships either surrender or are depressurized, and worlds they seize either bend at the knee or get sent back to the stone age.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

As always, I'm a bit slow in registering such interesting things, but I wouldn't mind joining, if there's still an open slot :)
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:Their ships focus almost entirely on heavy ion-style weaponry, with small fighters for precision work. Lazy to the extreme, they almost never bother with ground troops.. Captured ships either surrender or are depressurized, and worlds they seize either bend at the knee or get sent back to the stone age.
$#*(# pirates, that's all you lot are. No concept of civilization, no sir. Even the Atlanteans are better than you! </posturing>

Hrm. Does the SKS remain something of a superpower despite having sizable chunks torn off of it?
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

phongn wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Their ships focus almost entirely on heavy ion-style weaponry, with small fighters for precision work. Lazy to the extreme, they almost never bother with ground troops.. Captured ships either surrender or are depressurized, and worlds they seize either bend at the knee or get sent back to the stone age.
$#*(# pirates, that's all you lot are. No concept of civilization, no sir. Even the Atlanteans are better than you! </posturing>

Hrm. Does the SKS remain something of a superpower despite having sizable chunks torn off of it?
I'd say be about the same size as everyone else, at least to start out with. Maybe a little on teh large side.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Hrm. One issue is that the Core Worlds area defining the area around Engima, Nemesis and the UTR border were fairly well developed, which would give me something of an unfair advantage, even taking into account Halite's damage. They are also the least likely worlds to secede from the Kingdom.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

phongn wrote:Hrm. One issue is that the Core Worlds area defining the area around Engima, Nemesis and the UTR border were fairly well developed, which would give me something of an unfair advantage, even taking into account Halite's damage. They are also the least likely worlds to secede from the Kingdom.
You're a competent writer; come up with some reason they aren't at top efficiency. I can take a few of those factories off your hands, of course.

*powers up tractor-beams*

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
You're a competent writer; come up with some reason they aren't at top efficiency. I can take a few of those factories off your hands, of course.

Yup, lots of things can knock back production levels like a lack of resources if not outright destruction of the facilities. Speaking of which are we going to assume that the galaxy is filled with many dead words covered in a nice coating of refined metals, and with the wreckage of the great fleet actions also drifting about for salvage?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:

Yup, lots of things can knock back production levels like a lack of resources if not outright destruction of the facilities. Speaking of which are we going to assume that the galaxy is filled with many dead words covered in a nice coating of refined metals, and with the wreckage of the great fleet actions also drifting about for salvage?
[Idealist]I'd like to see a game where the Mods can randomly 'sprinkle' derelicts and ruins so that conflict gets kicked up over an actual, real, advantage.[/Idealist]

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:You're a competent writer; come up with some reason they aren't at top efficiency. I can take a few of those factories off your hands, of course.

Keep your filthy nanite-encrusted paws off my factories! They're mine, bitc...er...Beast! ::waves a banana threateningly at the Sample::

Here's an idea: most of the surviving industrial infrastructure is dedicated to civilian and nonmilitary government orders. The galaxy is probably still in rough shape even some hundreds of years after the war and shit needs to be rebuilt. Also, the supply lines may not have been fully re-established, leaving many factories very much dormant. Thus, while I may remain something of an economic power, I can't actually shift over to major military procurement without risking a huge economic crash.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

phongn wrote:Hrm. One issue is that the Core Worlds area defining the area around Engima, Nemesis and the UTR border were fairly well developed, which would give me something of an unfair advantage, even taking into account Halite's damage. They are also the least likely worlds to secede from the Kingdom.
A few factors might take this up:

1) Evil Me. If you want we can fudge continuity a bit and say he smashed up some of these core worlds.
2) Rampaging Kzin. If you want to adjust your strength, it's possible that these fellows could have pulled an Alaric on your key provinces.
3) Internecine fighting. In SW the Imperial Civil War did some damage to Coruscant and other very important planets. With almost your whole Royal Family dead and your core of strong Magic users gone, it's possible that a few more unruly secessionist decided to go for the whole shebang during the last 300 years.

Now... my nation.

The Kzin Patriarchy!
meow

History
The Kzin are a race from an alternate reality of our Galaxy. They once controlled the entire Milky Way in their home dimension, but they were expelled by the tremendously powerful Outsiders and forced to emigrate here about 300 years ago. The Kzin rampaged through the galaxy with much destruction and pillage, and siezed great swaths of territory. But however strong their initial foray was, they lacked the resource base to retain control and were gradually pushed back to a smaller area.

Since then, they have reinforced their hold on their remaining territory and have even begun to slowly expand again.

Biology
The Kzin are a catlike race, averaging 2 meters tall and 200 kilograms in weight. They are typically orange, but variations in striping and coloration are common. Their tails are long, hairless and ratlike.

Societal odds and ends

The ruler of the Kzin Patriarchy the Patriarch. He arose to the throne by killing his father in combat, as is often the case with high office.

Any Kzin can rise to any rank (excepting that of Patriarch), and advancement is most commonly by competence; the son of an officer can also attain his father's position by defeating him in single combat. Other cases of advancement by duel are more rare, but can sometimes be approved after consideration by higher officials.

Female Kzin are nonsentient and exist mainly for breeding purposes. Since each female produces many children during her lifespan, it is possible for the Patriarchy's population to rebound rapidly from kzinpower losses. Only those Kzinti who distinguish themselves in service or battle are allowed to breed and pass on their genetic information; leading to a genetic tendency for competence (or at least aggression).

Rarely, kzinti can develop of talent for telepathy, which can be accentuated by the consumption of drugs.

Subject Races

Non-Kzin within the Patriarchy are officially given the same status as draft animals, but in practice they are more akin to serfs. It is possible for a sufficiently talented human to rise to prominence, but he will always be less than the lowliest kzinti. Kzin oversight of subject activity is typically light-handed, Kzin prefer to let their subjects well enough alone, relying on collaborationist humans to keep the sub-society running smoothly. The Patriarch demands only that the humans be able to offer whatever services he requires of them.

The population is divided as follows
50% Kzin
35% Human
10% Youma
5% Other
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Oooh, that should make a for a good deal of conflict with between our civilizations. Especially if I had say, enslave world or two of your people.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Star Kingdom of Serenity

History
The Star Kingdom was once one of the most powerful nations in the multiverse, with holdings in several galaxies and control of the Nemesis Gate, which was the primary method of trade between two the Greater Universes. The other two access points were under control of the Eldar and the Boyd Collective and not available for public use. However, with the resurrection of their ancient enemy, the Dark Kingdom of Atlantis some 300 years ago, the Kingdom fell from grace.

In the invasions, severe damage had been done to the Star Kingdom's infrastructure, the Royal Navy, her once-enormous corp of trained magic users and the death of the second Royal Family. Hematite I had sacrificed herself to project the Great Shield over Nemesis; those with evil souls find it impossible to enter the protected area without destroying themselves and subsuming their soul's energe to the Shield, thus strengthening it.

Halite I of the Dark Kingdom of Atlantis was unable to wholly defeat the Star Kingdom, however. Unfortunately the Kzin, sensing blood in the water, attempted to conquer the recouperating Kingdom: in this they failed, but greatly weakened the important Core States. Finally, several major wars of succession over who would sit upon the Royal Throne wrecked much of what remained. The great shipyards of the Kingdom were finally laid to ruin in these wars. They only ended when the final victor, Maikonova Altaris, attempted to sit upon the Throne after her "coronation."

She was promptly incinerated by an unknown force. Further attempts by other pretenders to the Throne have either been kicked off or incinerated by this unknown force.

To this time, the Star Kingdom is a de facto military dictatorship under CNO Calcite, who has remained in that post since his niece - Hematite I - died. A Senate remains in an advisory position but all decisions ultimately lay up to him. Should someone of true Royal blood appear once more, his post would lose its civilian powers and the pre-war government system would remain.

However, due to the stress imparted, the Kingdom was broken up into multiple semi-autonomous regions; today, they are now virtually independant nation-states though their Head of State remains the "office" of the Queen, as it were. The fact that there is no queen is irrelevant. Functionally, this is similar to the old British Commonwealth.

Biology
The primary surviving race remains youma (Homo youma renegade subspecies), a distant offshoot of H. sapiens sapiens. They are far, far stronger than ordinary humans that they outwardly resemble. Oxygen deprivation does not particularly annoy them for extended periods of time. An irreversable transformation process allows normal humans to be converted into youma.

Other species include the so-called Mutants [also known as FEVants], refugees from some sort of biological or chemical warfare agent out of control. They are immensely strong beings, usually pale green or gray in color. Intelligence ranges from below Galactic average (and indeed, strongly weighted here) to within one standard deviation above Galactic average. Reproduction rates are very low.

Humans are humans.

Society
Highly matriarchal (in direct opposition to the patriarchal Kzin). A quirk of magic virtually requires the Senshi (the elite magical corp of the Kingdom - whose numbers were decimated in the previous wars) to be female; there has never been a King in power: only a Queen. All species are considered equal in the eyes of the law: discrimination is almost totally unknown. Gender discrimination is present at a somewhat low-level; men still advance more or less at an equal rate. At home, the female rules the roost.

Military
The Royal Navy - the senior service - is very, very competent at what it does. It is generally considered a Very Bad Idea to mess with the RN without overwhelming force because of its long tradition of excellence. Surface forces (the Royal Marine Corp, the Royal Army) are small but generally well-equipped. Much of the Navy and the Space Guard is deployed to protect the absolutely critical trade lanes that the Star Kingdom's economy depends on.

Due to various factors, the doctrine of strategic weapons has been abandoned in favor of a more balanced force at the cutting edge of technology.

Several very well-known special forces groups are present: the Senshi (some of the strongest magical users known), who are generally powerarmored, the 869th Special Operations Group, which has been known to destabilize nation-states at odds to the Star Kingdom and the 78th Composite Reconnaisance Wing, which maintains the remaining strategic reconaisance force. Numerous completely black special forces groups remain.

Economy
Trade, trade and more trade. The virtual monopoly in trade to the sister reality via the Nemesis gate brings in an enormous amount of revenue from simple tolls. Tarriffs are generally minimal if they exist: the Star Kingdom is a strong believer in free trade but demand reciprocity for those advantagous rates. Manufacturing ability remains subpar due to the slow rate of rebuilding.

Ships
The command station for the RN remains HMS Warlock, now stripped of her engines and hyperfold drives. In orbit at Nemesis, she is the nerve center of the Navy. The command ship Confederation, the only surviving superdreadnought (or, for that matter, ship of the wall) of the war, is the flagship of the Fleet. Several Renown-class cruisers - descendants of the dual-gunned* Tone-class CL - are also operational as command ships.

However, most fleets and taskforces make do with a single Imperator-XLVII as their flagship with numerous lighter escorts and carrier vessels. Scores of ancient escort carriers remain and have been seconded to the Space Guard; they are almost entirely unsuited for modern war (even when launched originally, for that matter). That said, they are more than a match for most pirates and privateers they usually face.

* Reflex cannon, not total armament.
Last edited by phongn on 2003-11-03 05:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Hey guys, i still need to know what happned during the final war of the STGOD MK. 1 (SD.net) so i can do my history.