Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Iroscato »

Hehe, thank you for being direct. This is more or less what I had in stock from when I played a couple of years back, so I never took the time to properly focus on researching what works and what doesn't. Basically, I'm still a noob, and a rusty one at that. :P
This should help a great deal though, thanks.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

as far as weapons go this is how I'd go

front
Bio-mol photon(combine this with the tac console you get from the mission Fluid tension for a decent 2 peice set bonus)
1*dual phaser (mark XII or higher)
rest phaser beam arrays (mark XII or higher)

back
kinectic cutting beam (with adapted borg console for the Omega Weapon amplifier buff)
rest Phaser Beam arrays (mark XII of higher)

this way you got most the same energy type (phaser) and the fluid tension console also gives +dmg to photon torps (but no other torp type) the counter command Bio-mol phaser weapons are pretty decent for the price and work well with the buff you get from the torp/console but aren't really needed either regular old phasers work too.

but the main thing is that unless you got a few specific ships and work hard, a build with more then 1 projectile laucher per facing isn't gonna work.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

That'd be better than he has, but that front dual-beam is a bad call. If you're in arc for it, you're not in arc for the entirety of the aft beam arrays, and that's a far, far higher DPS loss than the anemic increase of having one dual beam bank. That's got a lot to do with why most cruisers these days don't bother with any torps at ALL; they just don't bring enough to the party to justify swinging your aft guns out of arc to bring the tube to bear.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

White Haven, marry me. I got round to switching out with several more antiproton beam arrays and the suggested consoles, and it's made a huge difference. Thanking you!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Heh, no prob. @whitehaven, by the way, if you ever need a hand. I haven't been logging in much of late, for simple lack of anything to do other than grind Argala over and over again.

In general, treat it as a math exercise. Assemble the highest base amount of a homogenous base damage type that you can, then multiple that amount by as many of the largest numbers you can, and then apply it to as many enemies at once as you can.

There are all sorts of nuances out there, of course, but that's the fundamental idea behind things. If you want to take things to the next level, I recommend a perusal of the stobuilds subreddit and its attendant wiki. A lot of the builds there will be things you can't come anywhere near attaining right now, but some will, they've got information for all gear levels and some quite helpful, quite knowledgeable people.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Lord Revan wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:If you're playing Klink-Rom or Klingon, you get a Kamarag class rather than an Ambassador at the end of the mission. Frankly I liked the Ambassador better, it gives you your first taste of the warp-plasma attack... IIRC the Kamarag doesn't have that, though I could be wrong (it might depend on what training your bridge officers have).
I think that's a bridge officer skill not 100% on that though.

oh and Rommie did you get those items I sent you, they're not great but should give you bit of an edge at lvl 50+ until you get enough rep/wealth to get better gear.
Don't know. I don't recall seeing anything new last time I checked my inventory. Maybe I'm making another stupid noob mistake. What exactly did you send me?

Thanks anyway.

Anyway, I'm doing some alternate universe mission right now. It involves a Tholian takeover and the Enterprise C. That sounds fun, but I'm tired of time travel right now.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

White Haven wrote:Heh, no prob. @whitehaven, by the way, if you ever need a hand. I haven't been logging in much of late, for simple lack of anything to do other than grind Argala over and over again.
Thank you, I may do so. One element of the game I've hardly touched is the co-operative features. Had a couple of pvp matches, joined a few teams automatically but never really communicated with other players deliberately. My pc barely runs the game so I never bothered talking to people :P

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I haven't done any pvp stuff yet. I suppose I'll get around to it once I've finished or gotten utterly tired of the single-player missions.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Don't know. I don't recall seeing anything new last time I checked my inventory. Maybe I'm making another stupid noob mistake. What exactly did you send me?
Check your mail. Should be a little letter icon on the right side of your minimap flashing green. Keep in mind however, you'll need to go to a Mail console (they're all over the place on ESD) in order to retrieve any items.
White Haven wrote:In general, treat it as a math exercise. Assemble the highest base amount of a homogenous base damage type that you can, then multiple that amount by as many of the largest numbers you can, and then apply it to as many enemies at once as you can.

There are all sorts of nuances out there, of course, but that's the fundamental idea behind things. If you want to take things to the next level, I recommend a perusal of the stobuilds subreddit and its attendant wiki. A lot of the builds there will be things you can't come anywhere near attaining right now, but some will, they've got information for all gear levels and some quite helpful, quite knowledgeable people.
I have to agree with this. There are a lot of nuances out there, but you can generally pick them up fairly easily. Fortunately, you don't really need to be at maximum efficiency for like 95% of the content you'll do, just get "good enough" and that'll take you through.

Speaking of which, this is a good guide for getting you some decent gear to start you off at endgame, and it's all free to boot. It does require you to rerun missions multiple times, which could get tedious, but you'll be pretty well set once you have. If you want to do this, I would say run "A Step Between Stars" sooner than later. This is because the final battle is in a special ship, which you have no control over equipping. And the Undine got a revamp to their difficulty, and that last battle can be a pain in the ass because their HP will scale as your level up, but the ship you're given kind of sucks. Which can make it a real slog once you start going well past 50. So something to keep in mind if you want that Solonae set for yourself.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

My handle is @iroscato if anyone wants to be buddies and such ^^
White Haven, tried searching for you but got nothing on the results. :?:

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I might not be playing for a few days as I have an audition I must prepare for at the end of January. But after that, sure.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Chimaera wrote:My handle is @iroscato if anyone wants to be buddies and such ^^
White Haven, tried searching for you but got nothing on the results. :?:
Chim my tag is @Spiritborn you might have better luck finding me as the time zones might fit better, I dunno where White Haven is from though.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Avoid the game for a while, it's glitching rather badly due to the 5th anniversary update. And as for the anniversary mission, it may be 30 years since Voyager, but somehow the universe still screws him over. Poor dumb Harry.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

FaxModem1 wrote:Avoid the game for a while, it's glitching rather badly due to the 5th anniversary update. And as for the anniversary mission, it may be 30 years since Voyager, but somehow the universe still screws him over. Poor dumb Harry.
Made me laugh when he requested permission to speak freely.
Yes, bitch. Your laughably stalled career amuses me no end. Now polish my boots.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Spoiler
I only realm complaint about the mission is that the "Harry Kim relationship drama" is not part of dialoge you can stop, I feel my Starfleet character would have pulled rank there (she's now a fleet admiral) and told Captain Kim to be quiet unless he had something to say that was vital to the mission.

Even if we were chasing his duplicate there's a time and place for everything and mission where speed is important isn't a time to vent about your relationship issues.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Huh. Sounds like there's a reason the twerp is outranked by someone who's career started after he'd already been an ensign for years.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Huh. Sounds like there's a reason the twerp is outranked by someone who's career started after he'd already been an ensign for years.
tbh for the most part Captain Kim is repectful and professional towards and he's mindful of the mission, it's just this one mission where grabs an idiot ball and starts bitching in the middle of the mission.

If anything captain Kim is generally more respectful towards you then most people for example remembering that you outrank him and he only request you to do things not outright order, the Delta Alliance intel contact for example seems to still think you're a fresh ensign on his/her first real combat mission even though most characters would seen more combat in a year then most starfleet officers see in a lifetime and they got their rank for a very good reason.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I enjoyed the character drama for the most part, as seemed like an actual episode of Star Trek, and was dealing with some of the consequences and plot threads left unfinished on Voyager. Frankly, the whole issue of grave robbing aliens wasn't really executed that well in the episode, and this handled it better I think. Plus, they lampshaded the crap out of the silliness of the two Voyagers episode.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lord Revan wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Huh. Sounds like there's a reason the twerp is outranked by someone who's career started after he'd already been an ensign for years.
tbh for the most part Captain Kim is repectful and professional towards and he's mindful of the mission, it's just this one mission where grabs an idiot ball and starts bitching in the middle of the mission.

If anything captain Kim is generally more respectful towards you then most people for example remembering that you outrank him and he only request you to do things not outright order, the Delta Alliance intel contact for example seems to still think you're a fresh ensign on his/her first real combat mission even though most characters would seen more combat in a year then most starfleet officers see in a lifetime and they got their rank for a very good reason.
Well, at least he eventually made it to captain.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

FaxModem1 wrote:I enjoyed the character drama for the most part, as seemed like an actual episode of Star Trek, and was dealing with some of the consequences and plot threads left unfinished on Voyager. Frankly, the whole issue of grave robbing aliens wasn't really executed that well in the episode, and this handled it better I think. Plus, they lampshaded the crap out of the silliness of the two Voyagers episode.
well it really only "Harry Kim bitching hour" in maze that bothered me, even the sliding floor puzzle isn't that bad once you accept that you can't get accros without dying (in the last room you just have to make to last respawn point there's no way you'll make it to the end) and even in the maze dialoge it wasn't the content so much as the way it was repecented.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I have to say though, his uniform was bitchin'. I immediately modified my bridge crew garbs to match :wink:

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Chimaera wrote:I have to say though, his uniform was bitchin'. I immediately modified my bridge crew garbs to match :wink:
Captain Kim, his uniform is just the standard Oddesey with a white shoulders, I they should have made the rank insignia a different color for that version as the Silver ones are kind of hard to see.

Personally I use the standard oddy uniform with black/dark grey with a the only color being the strip that goes accross the chest and ofc the undershirt. granted my dress uniform is oddy dress version with white torso with black shoulders, the oddy dress uniform works great for that purpose as it has a jacket that looks like a cross between the TOS movie uniform (the red one not the pyjama one) and the standard oddy uniform, only thing it's missing is cap of some sort, granted I play an Andorian so the antenna would probably clip thru a cap.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I saved the Enterprise C so it could get destroyed properly. :(

Revan, I got the items you sent me. Thanks.

And going back to the subject of weapons, I'm currently using Duel Phaser Beam Bank Mk V, Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk V, and Phaser Beam Array Mk IV in front and Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk IV and Phaser Beam Array Mk IV aft on my Akira class ship. Is that a good selection?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

seems decent enough, obviously you want to use green or better quality items (like in most MMOs white quality items are for early levels only), Akira turned fast enough that broadsiding isn't a major issue (though I'd not use a cannon build on one) IIRC.

and tbh your build doesn't matter that much until lvl 50+, sure the better your build is easier things will be but until you start doing advanced and elite STFs you can "make do" with a quite a weak build.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

As I said earlier, it's all about time spent firing weapons. That dual-beam is one more mount that isn't a broadside-capable beam array, as is one of those torpedo tubes (maybe both, up to you). Narrow-arc weapons are not only weapons that are not in action much of the time, but weapons that you have to remove OTHER weapons from action to fire. A weapon that doesn't get to live up to its potential because of arc restrictions might as well not be equipped. Now, if you really want to use limited-arc weapons, fine; I'd recommend against it, but your call. If you do, though, I'd also recommend doubling down on your forward arc and replacing the aft mounts with 360-degree turrets so they'll fire into your forward arc. In most cases that's less effective than a beam broadside, but it's going to be more effective than half-and-half with multiple weapons sitting idle much of the time.

Also, try to get the highest mark of weapons that your rank allows. Whenever you get a new rank, what weapons you can fit jumps by two, and that means that odd-numbered marks are never the strongest weapons you can equip. It's not an enormous issue given the speed of leveling, but if you can, try to source some cheap MK VI guns, and then MK VIII when you next rank up.