I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by loomer »

The only upside to them I see is that they are bringing a form of order to the Wastes. There's Caesar's bullshit 'make something so new to the people that it releases them from trying to rebuild so that they simply build' philosophy too, but mostly the order they actually do bring. Banditry and theft is pretty low in Legion territories, afterall...

Of course, the NCR suppresses banditry too, and they're actually a lot better in their portrayal as a flawed empire - just look at some of the shady shit they want you to do and some of the fuck-ups they have.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

So, like Fallout 3, once you're done at the dam, that's it, not more questing, no more exploring, I guess? Guess we'll have to wait for DLC to explore again after the main quest.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Or you can use a mod for that if you're on the PC. If not, when it flashes the warning at you, don't hit 'yes'. Go explore some more and finish what you missed.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I remain disappointed at the lackluster stats on T-51B suits. I suppose it's inevitable given that the Brotherhood uses them as standard equipment now, but still, they're barely a hair better than T-45 suits.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

White Haven wrote:I remain disappointed at the lackluster stats on T-51B suits. I suppose it's inevitable given that the Brotherhood uses them as standard equipment now, but still, they're barely a hair better than T-45 suits.
The Remnant PA is pretty nice.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Agent Fisher wrote:So, like Fallout 3, once you're done at the dam, that's it, not more questing, no more exploring, I guess? Guess we'll have to wait for DLC to explore again after the main quest.
At the end, you have the choice of continuing to explore or retiring. Retiring will end the game, continuing will let you keep going on. Probably to appease both the people who want it to be more like Fallout where the story ended after the main quest ended and the people who wanted to continue playing after the main quest like in almost every popular free roamer.
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

chitoryu12 wrote:At the end, you have the choice of continuing to explore or retiring. Retiring will end the game, continuing will let you keep going on. Probably to appease both the people who want it to be more like Fallout where the story ended after the main quest ended and the people who wanted to continue playing after the main quest like in almost every popular free roamer.
What game were you playing? After you finish, the slideshow rolls and you get sent to your last save.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Quite a few lesbians in the Mojave.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Cadazors are annoying fucks that keep killing the shit out of me. I think I need to level up more before I finish the Volare quest or Veronica's mission. :|
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

General Zod wrote:Cadazors are annoying fucks that keep killing the shit out of me. I think I need to level up more before I finish the Volare quest or Veronica's mission. :|
I strongly recommend the HEavy Incinerator. FIRE FIREFIRE.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

SirNitram wrote:
General Zod wrote:Cadazors are annoying fucks that keep killing the shit out of me. I think I need to level up more before I finish the Volare quest or Veronica's mission. :|
I strongly recommend the HEavy Incinerator. FIRE FIREFIRE.
I've only got the regular incinerator, haven't come across any variants yet. The displacer glove actually seems to do the trick neatly, but four of them is still enough to gangrape me after a couple hits.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Drugs + Chainsaw. Best option. Only option. :P

No seriously, I have found that the best way to tackle anything which tries to swarm you in melee is just to be better at melee, and the chainsaw + drugs does that pretty effectively. At least, it does for me.

Of course, I try to snipe them at range with the Gauss Rifle to thin out their numbers a bit first. :D Levelling up more can never hurt, though.

Man, I saw an LP where some poor bastard got attacked by a Giant Radscorpion at the very start of the game, during the tutorial. His nearly-broken Varmint Rifle... wasn't very effective. :lol:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Man, I saw an LP where some poor bastard got attacked by a Giant Radscorpion at the very start of the game, during the tutorial. His nearly-broken Varmint Rifle... wasn't very effective. :lol:
I encountered four of the bastards within ten minutes of starting the game, skipping the tutorial, and attempting to visit the Yangtze Memorial.

They followed me back to the town and killed Easy Pete. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

So I was just leaving Cerulean Robotics after recruiting a sexbot for the Atomic Wrangler, and got jumped by three elderly women with rolling pins. Turns out elderly women don't stand up well to Laser Rifles.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

The Vortex Empire wrote:So I was just leaving Cerulean Robotics after recruiting a sexbot for the Atomic Wrangler, and got jumped by three elderly women with rolling pins. Turns out elderly women don't stand up well to Laser Rifles.
Once when I was just finishing the quest in Vault 22, on my way out I was ambushed by Old Lady Gibson and her pack of hounds. No idea why - I hadn't even visited her scrapyard yet, but apparently she was so incensed by second-hand tales of the courier's existence she decided to hunt me down. Bit surreal.

Think I'm going to try an unarmed character for my next game. Pick up Veronica and roll across the wasteland Fist of the North Star style. YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Boone is the greatest of companions. Seriously, you're just walking down the road and suddenly, it's a slow-mo of some badguy getting it's head blown off and you're like "Where the fuck was that guy?"
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Boone with a cowboy repeater was killing Nightkins like a madman up on Black Mountain.

Also, how exactly do you craft a scope for a hunting or combat rifle?
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I don't think you can craft them. Just search the best vendors -- Gun Runners especially.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Gauss rifle with the perk which makes stuff dieing from energy weapons explode 8)
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

The M1 with JSP's, a dose of psycho, some jet, and some Rebound does the job nicely too. They're one of the few enemies I actually bother to use VATS for.

Oh, and the Tesla Cannon prototype. BZZAAAAP. Of course, if you don't get two good shots before they're on you, you're fucked.

(The prototype is actually really easy to get at once you've got the Pulse Gun. Even a hardened sentry bot dies in 2 shots... of course, getting the pulse gun is it's own challenge.)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Is the Bloody Mess Perk still available? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Yes. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Be aware that the Bloody Mess perk will mean you get fuckall bounties for 3 Fiend leaders from the NCR. The commentary from the officer you are handing the mulched heads to is hilarious and you still get the rep bonus.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

So, I'm a FOphile and I don't play FO games fast. Consequently, I'm still in the southern portion of the map and was thinking of doing the REPCONN quests. I have poop for guns (I have a hunting rifle, but only ~30 rounds.) What I DO have a lot of is .357 ammo and a fully repaired cowboy repeater, so my question is this:

Can you buy a reloading bench for your house? I know a workbench is available, but I want my room to have a campfire, workbench and reloading bench.

(PS - the scrounger perk will effectively eliminate ammo shortages.)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Chardok wrote:So, I'm a FOphile and I don't play FO games fast. Consequently, I'm still in the southern portion of the map and was thinking of doing the REPCONN quests. I have poop for guns (I have a hunting rifle, but only ~30 rounds. What I DO have a lot of is .357 ammo and a fully repaired cowboy repeater, so my question is this:

Can you buy a reloading bench for your house? I know a workbench is available, but I want my room to have a campfire, workbench and reloading bench.
I haven't come across that option but once you get past the early game ammo is plentiful. Looting bodies is your best bet for the meantime.