battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Stark wrote:Seraph, does Executor really have a heavy central battery? I thought it just had a relatively homogenous but huge battery? And the 'core' should ideally be further back in the broadest part of the ship.
I have no idea. I haven't found a single picture that shows any of the Executor in detail, so I just slapped on 100 Blasters for Turbolasers, 100 Gatling Blasters for Heavy Turbolasers, 8 Frosch guns to represent Ion Cannons, and missles and Demeter drones (Tie Fighters) to taste. It's not even close to perfect, but I have fun with it...
Isn't nitpicking fun? :)
Always. :lol:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

For those interested in using the weapon i showed last time.
Base weapon is a megabeamer, customized to all hell.

Firing arc: 5 degrees

Firing rate/cooldown: 3 frames, personal preference, gives bigger beambands, means the weapon takes three seconds in the ignition stage though.
Clipsize:30 this gives the bands as the beams linger.
deviation: 0.4 this makes the beams ignite out to the side of the ship.
Damage: i set mine to 25, do as thou will.
Range: 1500, the beams only look awesome if they stretch off the edges of the screen.
Reload: varies between ten seconds and a minute.

It basically creates two fans of laser beams out to the side of the ship and slowly sweeps them forwards over the target.

Reducing the deviation makes the beams ignite further forward, increasing it makes them ignite further aft.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Covenant wrote: Just for that, I'm going to make a Cultureverse ship, and it'll bisect your Executor with Gridfire.--
--...having been informed there are already culture ships, I'll be going with the option below! Drat!

Or perhaps some ships from Star Control? I prefer Starflight myself, but I think Stark, Neph and I are the only ones who ever played it. Wait... did Neph even play it? I'll make some G'nunk and Humna Humna vessels and see who cracks up at them.

Star Control 2 was basically Starflight 2 anyway. Same difference!'

What would people want to see?
ZOMG that'd be cool. The ships wouldn't be balanced with other ships though (as most lack point defence or any defence at all), and I'm not sure the game supports things like the Yehat shield. Things like the Earthling, Ur-Quan and Chmmr would be easy as pie, though. Indirect control would render some of the more agile ships difficult to represent (Spathi, Thraddash).

If someone made me a Liberator, I'd be the happiest man in the world. Three huge beam guns, a smattering of guided missiles, awesome deflectors and massive regeneration in an agile package. Also it looks like a pile of dildos.
NRS Guardian
Jedi Knight

Post by NRS Guardian »

Nephtys wrote:Those honorverse ships need a *little* balancing. For some reason if you break the hammerhead, the entire ship shatters dramatically? :P And what's with only four lasers per broadsides on a huuuge ship?
I probably should have made the light cruiser shorter, but it was my first attempt at a Honorverse ship. As for the rest they need to be as long as they are to fit in enough Teller Torpedoes to reasonably represent the number of missiles Honorverse ships pack in. The reason they probably tend blow apart when the hammerhead goes is all the Torpedoes that are packed in. I didn't protect the core and hammerheads to represent the open fore and aft of Honorverse ships, though on the larger, more modern ships I placed deflectors to represent bow walls, besides with the sides being protected by Aegis to represent the sidewalls and wedge they need some weakness, or else they would be nigh invincible. Also with the amount of point-defense they have, only non-interceptible weapons can get through. I tested the Medusa-B and that thing is a monster against stock ships. I destroyed the Leviathan in maybe a minute with the Medusa and it can destroy four alien dreadnoughts without breaking a sweat.
If anyone has any suggestions I can work on them some more
"It is not necessary to hope in order to persevere."
-William of Nassau, Prince of Orange

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.10
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Ur-Quan Dreadnought?

I'm not sure which one is the Liberator--or is that from a different game?

I gave this guy two point defense beamies, 4 fighters, and I'm playing with various primary guns. I might need to just make a custom one, but I bet we'll be able to figure something out. I think it looks pretty nice though--and it's not out of scale with the other ships, which is pleasent. No Ginormous ship there.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Place the fighter-guns at the back of the engine pods, that's where they seem to be in the game.

If only you could import the LAUNCH FIGHTERS sound... :)
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Lol, "LAUNCH FIGHTERS!" "LAUNCH FIGHTERS".

What the the other ur-quan have? Some funny bomb that exploded in multiple directions, but I forgot what their secondary weapon was.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

th15 wrote:Lol, "LAUNCH FIGHTERS!" "LAUNCH FIGHTERS".

What the the other ur-quan have? Some funny bomb that exploded in multiple directions, but I forgot what their secondary weapon was.
Their main weapon was a giant sawblade that fired at long range, and stopped at the players command and hung there as a mine. The secondary was a 16 directional short range fireball pulse.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

th15 wrote:Lol, "LAUNCH FIGHTERS!" "LAUNCH FIGHTERS".

Kohr-Ah had homing buzzsaw mines (awesome) and the secondary was a ring of fire. You'd probably need a new weapon for that.

You're probably thinking of the Chenjesu, the StarCon1 counterpart to the Ur-Quan, with giant explodey crystal bombs and an energy-draining 'dogi' thing. :)
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Once I get into putfile I will load the pic of my super super (which is just a radical redress of a ship of some one else). linky This ship has only a hundred beamers lots of demeters (on top of each other) and tons of other weapons. And I mean tons of weapons and it is over 700 Kb unpacked!!!!!!
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Too many weapons. -___-

However, I think I figured out what the 'Liberator' was:

Blake's 7? I've never seen or heard of this ship. BBC shows have only recently made it over to this side of the planet.

How's this? I need some help knowing what weapons to put on it, and where. The wiki has some info, but I don't know where the mountings are, or what they look like, how big and fast the ship is, and so on.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You know what direction it goes in, right? :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:You know what direction it goes in, right? :P
You gotta be joking me. Where are the engines? ;p
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It goes pointy-direction first. The glowy ball is the motor. :) The big outriggers are giant green laser guns, it has 360-deflectors, heaps of self-repair, and apparently some missiles they talk about using but never do in the show. The central spindle has the habitable section at the front, the rear barrel-like section and ball are just powerplant and energy storage.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I don't want to do it again! I'll fix it, uh, maybe some time, later. Maybe.

I should make Atlantis. Now that's a spaceship.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Stark wrote:Oh dear... he's gone mad... :lol:
I've comforted myself by making the Puddlejumper instead. However, missiles just don't cut it, and even two Gluon Blasters don't recharge fast enough to really do much with it--and worst of all, there's no 'overshoot and swoop' style of AI. I'd like a 'strafing run' type AI.

Maybe a Ha'tak would be good?

Can anyone tell me how to change the colors of the things? I'd want the brown for the outside, but the central ha'tak pyramid has to be gold. Or an Ori ship. All of those look cruddy from the top tho'.
Last edited by Covenant on 2007-10-05 12:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is the AI hardcoded? It'd be interesting to play around with facings, orientations etc.
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

There are several AI modes that can be set. Each ship also has a predefined preferred engagement range. You can achieve strafing run AI by making the ai range something negative.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Why, what's Atlantis?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Why, what's Atlantis?
This is Atlantis.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

W-... why does a space station have skyscrapers?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Uraniun235 wrote:W-... why does a space station have skyscrapers?
Cause it's a city.

Granted, it's a city capable of starflight, and has the typical SG-Ancients dependence on their incredible infrastructure, so it's been beaten to shit lately.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

SirNitram wrote:
Cause it's a city.

Granted, it's a city capable of starflight, and has the typical SG-Ancients dependence on their incredible infrastructure, so it's been beaten to shit lately.
It also spends a great deal of it's time on water. It's basically like a gigantic intergalactic Spruce Goose, so it makes water landings and chills out in oceans. The problem from my end, though, is that despite being the size of Manhattan, it has nearly no weapons. That's a problem for me, since making this big ship only to have it be systematically blown to shit is kinda lame. My poor Puddlejumper suffers from the same problem.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Covenant wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Cause it's a city.

It also spends a great deal of it's time on water. It's basically like a gigantic intergalactic Spruce Goose, so it makes water landings and chills out in oceans. The problem from my end, though, is that despite being the size of Manhattan, it has nearly no weapons. That's a problem for me, since making this big ship only to have it be systematically blown to shit is kinda lame. My poor Puddlejumper suffers from the same problem.
I note that Manhattan isn't exactly tricked out with massive weapon systems. The Aurora is for that.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter