[STGOD] info poll 1 - tech level

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tech Level of new STGOD

Near Modern
10%
The Race
5%
Star Trek
5%
Honorverse
35%
Star Wars
45%

Total votes: 20

Kyle
Padawan Learner

Post by Kyle »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Hun what? *remembers what this thread is really about* Well I've decided to field The HAB as a power regardless of tech. I'm fine with something between Star Wars and The ASVS STGOD
The UTR was a mid level power, delibertly created that way as a couterpoint to the 6I.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Big nation? Small nation? A bunch of mercs who bought an old Executor from the Army-Navy store?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

phongn wrote:Big nation? Small nation? A bunch of mercs who bought an old Executor from the Army-Navy store?
There's something pleasantly fucked-up about the idea of being able to buy a ship that could stomp the Federation... Solely to save it from being a museum exhibit on ancient warfare.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Judging by the name it's a brigade of heavy armor. It'd have to be something like very high mark Bolos to hope to compete at this level with just a brigade, though.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Raxmei wrote:Judging by the name it's a brigade of heavy armor. It'd have to be something like very high mark Bolos to hope to compete at this level with just a brigade, though.
I could send my Mech-like Beastial Ground Forces against it. T'would be amusing.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Raxmei wrote:Judging by the name it's a brigade of heavy armor. It'd have to be something like very high mark Bolos to hope to compete at this level with just a brigade, though.
You don't know your HAB history, The HAB is a multi planet Empire.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I will post, late tommorow night (technically late tonight, now!), with plans for the continuation of the arc and how to fit in the new nations seamlessly (in the context of our crack-addled continuity).
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Don't worry about fitting me in, I'll only play my bounty hunter this time around I think. So one ancient Marauder-class corvette and a few starfighters shouldn't be noticed much.

Come to think of it, I never really did resolve the whole M-wing hijacking mess. Oh well.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
You don't know your HAB history, The HAB is a multi planet Empire.
Sometimes it's more fun just to play with a few characters (hence the mercs), but the multiplanet empire works.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:I could send my Mech-like Beastial Ground Forces against it. T'would be amusing.
And Mech versus Armor continues anew...
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Still debating what I'll do. I might play the Beast itself, a la a God-Monster that briefly appears, or develop some new power since the Thousand Galaxy Protectorate might be overpowered.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SirNitram wrote:
phongn wrote:Big nation? Small nation? A bunch of mercs who bought an old Executor from the Army-Navy store?
There's something pleasantly fucked-up about the idea of being able to buy a ship that could stomp the Federation... Solely to save it from being a museum exhibit on ancient warfare.
There are probably a lot of designs that are still in use - the classic CR90 Corvette, for one, just massively updated if bought new.

Two twin etheric turrets, four CIWS lasers and the most overpowered engines money can buy, plus optional red stripe.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote: Sometimes it's more fun just to play with a few characters (hence the mercs), but the multiplanet empire works.
I don't think my story writing skills are up to that task, though maybe I might only represent a small unit of the HAB looking around for mecha to exterminate. My current crackpot thinking is the whole HAB ground army would be so large that once it reached the theater group level the designation system would start over again, with a squad of nine theater groups and such. A brigade-sized force under that system would ample for my needs. :twisted:

*A nation the size of Luxemburg is crushed as the HAB MICV drops it ramp, another pair of Bolo's are deployed by the expendable UAV launcher. The battle was about to be joined by a new level of ground combat firepower...*
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

*A nation the size of Luxemburg is crushed as the HAB MICV drops it ramp, another pair of Bolo's are deployed by the expendable UAV launcher. The battle was about to be joined by a new level of ground combat firepower...*
*groundquakes shook the land for miles, as the Beastial insectoids marched on. Tiny Mantis soldiers skittered forward, as massive arachnids that dwarfed even the mighty Bolos stomped forward. Dozens, hundreds, thousands fell, still they marched, reforming themselves anew with each tumble to the ground until they were completely vaporized. And still they came, the eternal march, wearing down the HAB towards the inevitable, horrific conclusion: A loss to a walker force*

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Could I jump in with the MAGEE(Mindless Automatons of the Generic Evil Empire)?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
*groundquakes shook the land for miles, as the Beastial insectoids marched on. Tiny Mantis soldiers skittered forward, as massive arachnids that dwarfed even the mighty Bolos stomped forward. Dozens, hundreds, thousands fell, still they marched, reforming themselves anew with each tumble to the ground until they were completely vaporized. And still they came, the eternal march, wearing down the HAB towards the inevitable, horrific conclusion: A loss to a walker force*
"Commander, the cavalry screen reports there hard pressed by mecha in the north."
"Good, the beast have lost their momentum in the fight. Open fire with super divisional gunnery."

Thousands of mammoth guns elevated and fired, there shells screamed into orbit, before descending on the front lines. The round split open at twenty five thousand feet, spewing out patterns of bomblets, each sought out an individual target to attack before exploding a massive thermonuclear shaped charge on impact. They blew the nanite beast apart, spreading them over the land. But the second salvo was already on the way, this time exploding with even greater undirected force A solid line was vaporized across the continent and behind it fell the multiple rocket launchers, tearing the heart out of the backed up beast force.

The massed army had no place on the modern battlefield.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

*As the HAB commanders levelled their firepower at the distant massed army, the ground itself shifted, yawning open horrifically as the infected planet itself revealed it's true nature, swallowing the ground forces whole into it's core to begin the process of the feast*

Armies? Who needs armies when you can turn their planets against them?

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Certainly, in the right galaxy. My plan is for a transdimensional/transgalactic play in a series of galaxies and dimensions, some of which were seen in the original STGOD and some of which will be opened up for the new powers, whilst other (galaxies) will be available for "expansion play" if you will. I think we'll keep to a rough limit of around three galaxies or so closest to the Milky Way in use at any one time in a single dimension..

...Did Saxton at any one time speculate on what galaxy the Star Wars Galaxy could be, and how close it was to the Milky Way? We need the Star Wars galaxy involved and that should be our limit.

One main thing here will be the need for several "map segments" if one wills, each showing a different galaxy, or the same galaxy, except in a different universe, and the holdings of the particular powers therein.

Other than that, things should be the same as before--but that should resolve the problem of the Original STGOD of nobody quite knowing where things were due to a lack of reliable maps beyond the mainline Milky Way.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I suppose I can rehash that earlier STGOD map, if I can find my Paint Shop Pro work file... and doing the Large Magellanic Cloud as well as Andromeda should be simple enough.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
...Did Saxton at any one time speculate on what galaxy the Star Wars Galaxy could be, and how close it was to the Milky Way? We need the Star Wars galaxy involved and that should be our limit.
I've read basically everything on his site and I don't think he ever speculated on that. If he did its not on this page which would seem to be the appropriate spot.

And I should note for anyone cooking up any more crackpot ideas that The HAB is only my tentative choice for a power. I'm also considering a bunch of giant Space Beaver with some slave races and lots of driod's.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

How about the HAB works like the Landsraad in Dune? The Great Leader can grant HAB planets as fiefs to HAB members, with each member designing their own force but keeping alliegence to the Great leader.

Whaddya think, sirs?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Setzer wrote:How about the HAB works like the Landsraad in Dune? The Great Leader can grant HAB planets as fiefs to HAB members, with each member designing their own force but keeping alliegence to the Great leader.

Whaddya think, sirs?
I don't think all that many, if any, well maybe you, would be interested. And I dont really like it that much either. That really would be its own formal STGOD.

But it is the thought of managing a hive of communist, fascist, democratic, fundamentalist, and dictatorship states all under one-cult Dictators rule that makes the HAB a bit unattractive for this game.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Sea Skimmer wrote:But it is the thought of managing a hive of communist, fascist, democratic, fundamentalist, and dictatorship states all under one-cult Dictators rule that makes the HAB a bit unattractive for this game.
Since this is far in the future we could just assume the triumph of Passchendaele central authority after the many civil wars.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Pablo Sanchez wrote: Since this is far in the future we could just assume the triumph of Passchendaele central authority after the many civil wars.
I'd love to play the Schutzstaffeln and write about our endless
border conflicts with the NKVD :twisted:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:Since this is far in the future we could just assume the triumph of Passchendaele central authority after the many civil wars.
Indeed. Before the sweeping, knee-jerk reforms that lead to the formation of the Star Kingdom, the predecessor Confederation of Independant Nations (CIN) was highly decentralized with an enormous amount of political, if not economic, autonomy. (If the game went long enough, I was seriously considering a second series of reform leading to the Star Empire of Serenity).

HAB could be formed in a similar manner, though along more feudal lines than the confederacy that was CIN.