battleships forever

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

After getting a gun that could bisect the Leviathan, I decided to edit it a litte.

I don't know what went so awesomely wrong, but I created the Mrs.Cake out of the wreckage of the prototype.

This is it when it's not firing.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

What the flying fucking hell was that? :wtf:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

i'm not sure either but i think beamers with 360 deviation are involved somewhere. lots of them.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Rogue 9 wrote:What the flying fucking hell was that? :wtf:
As I said, I'm not entirely sure. The 6 beamers all have 45 degree deviation and a 10 clip size, yet they fire a metric fuckton of beams in all directions. Is it a bug? I don't know. Is it great? Yes.

They are, it must be said, the same kind of beamer that on normal deviation can bisect the Leviathan in a second, so it's essentially death to anything within a screen of it.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

Running the tournament, I found a number of interesting things out.

Deflectors don't set damage to zero, they 'restore' damage a few frames after it's taken. This can lead to a few low health sections being destroyed when they're hit with enough force.

Mining Beams seem to almost ignore deflectors. Dunno about Aegis, but I'd imagine they're also similarly negated.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Image Image
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Darkevilme wrote:i'm not sure either but i think beamers with 360 deviation are involved somewhere. lots of them.
Those are point defense beams. You only need 3 or so if you set their rate to 1 though >_>
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Awesome, Einy. I knew we could rely on you to create something cool. Are those redundant tactical jump drives?
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Firebird, shaped like a bird, and coloured...wow...now i must find a place to steal style.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Xeriar wrote:Those are point defense beams. You only need 3 or so if you set their rate to 1 though >_>
Nah, they're full-on beamers. Here's the blueprints if you want to see for yourself.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

I think the thread has jumped the shark. I wonder how :lol:
Image Image
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

that does it, you need to build shark fin componets.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

There is no such thing as too much overkill
Image[/quote]
Though this comes close.
Image[/quote]
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!! :lol:
Image Image
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Not quite as awesome as a super-nova ship, but pretty damn close.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

My eyes!! The goggles do nothing! :x
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

where do the screen shots go?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Say, does anyone have, or can anyone find me, an accurate top-down picture of the Executor? I wish to make a version for BSF that is as true to the original as I can possibly make it. It's gonna be HUEG, and have thousands of guns. :D
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
NRS Guardian
Jedi Knight

Post by NRS Guardian »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Say, does anyone have, or can anyone find me, an accurate top-down picture of the Executor? I wish to make a version for BSF that is as true to the original as I can possibly make it. It's gonna be HUEG, and have thousands of guns. :D
If you go to the Star Wars Technical Commentaries Saxton has some very good pictures and sketches on his Executor page. Including these: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/given/at/ssdapt1.gif
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/books/ ... rdian1.gif
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/cg/bop/xvt-bop.jpg
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xbarbi ... ecutor.jpg
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xbarbi ... ecutor.jpg
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xbradf ... tor_33.jpg

I created some Honorverse ships and will upload them to the BSF site today or tomorrow. I've done Medusa-B and Invictus SD(P)s, Nike BC, Saganami-C CA, Courageous CL, the Fearless, Katana LAC, Shrike LAC, and Ferret LAC. Though they're somewhat simple, and use stock weapons.

EDIT: I just uploaded my attempt at Honorverse ships, here's the link: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforev ... _Ships.zip
Last edited by NRS Guardian on 2007-10-02 10:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not necessary to hope in order to persevere."
-William of Nassau, Prince of Orange

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.10
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Hrm... looks like I fucked up a bit on my proportions. I'll be posting what my precious Executor looks like once I've tested her out a bit and tweaked her weapons load-out.

EDIT:

And here it is. Not to scale, and not carrying quite as many weapons as I would have liked. (Because I wanted the full 4000, damnit!) :kill: But, I did my best with the tools and patience that I had.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Redshirt

Post by th15 »

Marko Dash: The screenshots are saved to your Battleships Forever folder (which should be c:\program files\battleships forever\) as screenshot100.bmp and so on.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The pace of development for BF is pretty impressive, it's gone from 77 to 79f in maybe two weeks. :)

Seraph, does Executor really have a heavy central battery? I thought it just had a relatively homogenous but huge battery? And the 'core' should ideally be further back in the broadest part of the ship.

Isn't nitpicking fun? :)
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Just make an Eclipse. With an axial superlaser. And then pump it up to the maximum stats possible in the game.

Then, just to be mean...

Surprise! The "axial superlaser" actually rotates really really fast! Suckers!
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Those honorverse ships need a *little* balancing. For some reason if you break the hammerhead, the entire ship shatters dramatically? :P And what's with only four lasers per broadsides on a huuuge ship?
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Hawkwings wrote:Just make an Eclipse. With an axial superlaser. And then pump it up to the maximum stats possible in the game.

Then, just to be mean...

Surprise! The "axial superlaser" actually rotates really really fast! Suckers!
Just for that, I'm going to make a Cultureverse ship, and it'll bisect your Executor with Gridfire.--
--...having been informed there are already culture ships, I'll be going with the option below! Drat!

Or perhaps some ships from Star Control? I prefer Starflight myself, but I think Stark, Neph and I are the only ones who ever played it. Wait... did Neph even play it? I'll make some G'nunk and Humna Humna vessels and see who cracks up at them.

Star Control 2 was basically Starflight 2 anyway. Same difference!'

What would people want to see?