Recommend me some podcasts

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee

Recommend me some podcasts

Postby bilateralrope » 2017-06-18 11:13pm

Currently I work security, which means lots of time spent watching security cameras with nothing happening on them. So I'd like something to listen to while working. The radio isn't enough any more.

Does anyone have any podcasts they would recommend ?

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Recommend me some podcasts

Postby Mr Bean » 2017-06-18 11:24pm

Lets see I currently have seven podcasts I'm subscribed to, I used to have a lot more but I've paired back. The main five are the Rachel Maddow show, Planet Money, the RT Podcast, Skeptoid and This American life.

Rachel because I enjoy Rachel's little on air history lessons that are the first part of her show each night, I tend to fast forward past her interviews and if it's a podcast of some breaking news I tend to delete unlisten to.

Planet Money tends to do lots of nice 15-20 minute long stories which while mostly economic are interesting to listen to.

Skeptoid for a similar reason 12-15 minute skeptical episodes on one topic the shear variety pumped our are intresting.

The RT podcast because I love Rooster Teeth (Note not Russia Today)

And last This American Life because to this day it produces the most interesting consistent content month to month.

I'm also subcribed to Downloadable content by the Penny Arcade Guys as they disscuss putting a strip together and Weekly Manga Recap because I'm a damn nerd and Weekly Shonen Jump contains an insufficient number of wrestling references.

For you Planet Money, Skeptoid and This American Life surefire recommendations heck skeptoid has 575 episodes as of writing of this and for like 10$ they will send you a usb keychain with their entire catalog loaded onto it. Note Skeptoid is recently ad supported but just start each episode 30 seconds in to avoid that.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
I'll eat my boots if Clinton gets less than 48% of the vote in November.-maraxus2 August 4th 2016

FireNexus
Cookie

Postby FireNexus » 2017-06-19 09:48am

bilateralrope wrote:Currently I work security, which means lots of time spent watching security cameras with nothing happening on them. So I'd like something to listen to while working. The radio isn't enough any more.

Does anyone have any podcasts they would recommend ?

Welcome to Nightvale was my first podcast and it should be your first as well. Start from the beginning, as it has a long continuity. But it's essentially a parody of NPR-type public radio which takes place in a world where all conspiracy theories are not only true, but seen as mundane aspects of a normal life. It is so unreasonably good.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.

DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Postby DesertFly » 2017-06-19 12:28pm

I tried Welcome to Nightvale a couple of years ago, and I just could not get into it. I gave it several episodes and was bored to tears.

For what I would recommend, it depends on what you are interested in. If you like Star Trek, Post Atomic Horror and Mission Log are two I enjoy. They are both review shows that have started at the very beginning of Trek, and cover an episode or two each week. PAH is more humorous and less serious, and has just started Enterprise, while Mission Log is more analytical, and is near the end of TNG.

Savage Lovecast is Dan Savage's sex and relationship advice column. I may not always agree with his advice, but it's still fascinating hearing the various issues people call in about. For me it really highlights how much easier it is to see the solution to a problem when you have a little distance from it.

The Arkham Sessions has a psychologist watching Batman: The Animated Series and commenting on the psyches of the various villains, allies, and Batman himself.

There are plenty more I listen too as well, but I would definitely consider those the best.
Proud member of the no sigs club.

bilateralrope
Sith Devotee

Postby bilateralrope » 2017-06-19 09:40pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

At the moment I'm estimating that I'll be listening through at least 20 hours each week. Long back catalogs give me more time to find listenable podcasts.

I see some recommendations for podcasts that go through TV series an episode at a time. How listenable are those podcasts when I barely remember most of the episodes in question ?

JLTucker
Sith Devotee

Postby JLTucker » 2017-06-19 09:58pm

Those TV podcasts are only good if you're familiar with the episodes.

DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Postby DesertFly » 2017-06-20 02:13am

JLTucker wrote:Those TV podcasts are only good if you're familiar with the episodes.

If you're talking about the three I suggested, then no, you're quite wrong. Each of them provides in-depth summaries before/while they discuss the finer points of each installment. Knowing the show, and having seen the episodes they discuss, absolutely helps, but is definitely not necessary.

That reminds me, I'm also recommending There's No Place Like Terra, which is a podcast with two hosts. One of them has seen all of Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, and the movies), and one who has seen nothing (well, before the show started, since they're now up to season 4 of Stargate SG-1). This podcast also has a beat-by-beat breakdown of each episode they cover. Whether you are familiar with the series, or are just listening to the podcast, I am certain you will find entertainment.
Proud member of the no sigs club.

Return to “Gaming, Electronics and Computers”