World of Tanks (new thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Tanks (new thread)

Post by Venator »

Imperial528 wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:I never got why the amx 40 is so hated. It was the first tank that actually had some concept of armor. Like, it won't be penetrated by autocannons or derpguns which is all anyone (especially sealclubbers) play at low tiers. Just never let up on the W key until you are in the enemy cap circle.

It's a tier 4 kv-1.

Edit: Although then again, I just like heavy tanks and let's face it, it and the matilda are the first heavy tanks you get in the game. :P
Part of it is due to the fact that the AMX-40 has a bad gun and that it used to get scout match making.
Replace bad with "terrible" and think about how you would get Tier 5-7 games constantly, and yeah. Also the fact that the advertised top speed is a WORTHLESS WEB OF LIES.

Also, I feel tremendously dirty...
Top on damage and XP in a Tier 10 game, despite making a number of notable mistakes and my frigging mouse battery dying.

And that's without firing a single WN8 gold round.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I bought the GF because I figured it would be a loonnnggg time before it was in the store again after this cluster.

I am still Maximum Tomato(TM)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Easiest way to angle, I've found, is to make sure your gun is pointing at your target across the front corner of the hull. There's finesse for the type of opponent, corner or terrain, but that's the fastest way to make sure you've got close to the best armour angling in a hurry.

Just don't assume it's magical, that's my advice. I've repeatedly bounced JgPz E100s before, but I've also had them scalp of 70% of my HP in one swing, angling be damned. If you're in a Tier 10 game, let the Tier 10s bear the brunt - you have a reasonably quick RoF to scavenge and farm a ton of damage and XP.

And avoid Japanese heavies like the fucking plague. They're one of the few things tall enough to consistently put big HE rounds through your paper roof. You can use tanks.gg or similar to find the very few remaining weak spots on the O-Ho, Type 4 and Type 5.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Imperial528 wrote:
Part of it is due to the fact that the AMX-40 has a bad gun and that it used to get scout match making.
It always had regular MM. The regular Tier spread was 4-7. Scout Tier spread was 4-9. It was an OK tank when the french tech tree was released. Gold shells required gold and only a few tank T2-T4 tanks were able to penetrate the AMX40.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I mean it wasn't an OK tank back then, because it was a stablemate with the T-28 which has that great 57mm and the M3 Lee which is a seal club with a DPM chainsaw strapped to the end, and whilst most tanks it met couldn't really penetrate it, it couldn't penetrate them either because french low tier tanks have potato launchers instead of guns, its DPM is godawful (half that of the Lee), the accuracy is almost derpgun bad, and anything that has trouble penetrating it could all just drive away from it because if low tier french tanks want to go faster the crew have to pedal harder.

(Also it was a light tank so everyone expected you to do scouting)

The AMX-40 has always been terrible rubbish.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Vendetta wrote:I mean it wasn't an OK tank back then, because it was a stablemate with the T-28 which has that great 57mm and the M3 Lee which is a seal club with a DPM chainsaw strapped to the end, and whilst most tanks it met couldn't really penetrate it, it couldn't penetrate them either because french low tier tanks have potato launchers instead of guns, its DPM is godawful (half that of the Lee)
Both tanks are big and their armor sucks compared to an AMX40. Its gun is good enough against most T2-T4 opponents. 15:0-3 routs were common when a smart TD/SPG decided to support an AMX40 in a T4 match.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Venator wrote:Part of it is due to the fact that the AMX-40 has a bad gun and that it used to get scout match making.
Replace bad with "terrible" and think about how you would get Tier 5-7 games constantly, and yeah. Also the fact that the advertised top speed is a WORTHLESS WEB OF LIES.[/quote]Back in the day when I played, I figured out how to get an AMX-40 up to its advertised top speed.

The problem is that you basically have to drive off a cliff.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

I did that yesterday :D
Drove my OI off a cliff, shot a TVP VTU in the engine (while in the air) and ram-killed it. I was then stuck for two minutes before I got out but the battle was lost by that point.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I got my first Invader medal in an AMX-40. That was a hilarious match, everyone cheering on the Duck as I trundled into the enemy cap and proceeded to take it from 0 while they were off dealing with the rest of my team.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Back in the day when I played, I figured out how to get an AMX-40 up to its advertised top speed.

I see it has the same top acceleration as the T95

9.81m/s^2
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

There was a thread on Reddit where someone mentioned he finally broke the 50% winrate after playing over 4000 games. Not many people seemed ot think that this was unusual.

JFC I'm going to have to play THAT MANY games to break 50%?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Yeah, the game takes a lot of practice to get to grips with. Keep in mind that 48% is dead average due to draws, so 50% is actually meaning that you win more than you lose.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Imperial528 wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Back in the day when I played, I figured out how to get an AMX-40 up to its advertised top speed.

I see it has the same top acceleration as the T95

9.81m/s^2
LOL
Lonestar wrote:There was a thread on Reddit where someone mentioned he finally broke the 50% winrate after playing over 4000 games. Not many people seemed ot think that this was unusual.

JFC I'm going to have to play THAT MANY games to break 50%?
Jub wrote:Yeah, the game takes a lot of practice to get to grips with. Keep in mind that 48% is dead average due to draws, so 50% is actually meaning that you win more than you lose.
At 7,920 games and 48.87% overall win rate, how quickly you learn to really play is an enormous factor. I was about 4k games in before I bothered to really learn how bushes, vision and overmatching works. Heck, I was probably at at least 3k before I even mounted consumables!

When I first installed XVM I was at 4k/642; now I'm at 8k/907. The math of playing like an absolute potato is hard to undo.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ghetto edit - my win rate in the Chrysler K is almost 55%, with average damage blocked per battle of 1337. Make of that what you will.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Venator wrote:At 7,920 games and 48.87% overall win rate, how quickly you learn to really play is an enormous factor. I was about 4k games in before I bothered to really learn how bushes, vision and overmatching works. Heck, I was probably at at least 3k before I even mounted consumables!

When I first installed XVM I was at 4k/642; now I'm at 8k/907. The math of playing like an absolute potato is hard to undo.
That too. I ended up with two accounts, my first one has 2,399 games played at a 47.81% WR, my second one has 5,077 games played at a 50.49% WR. So with around 7.5k games played, I've nearly pulled myself to 50% sitting at 49.6% WR across the two accounts. I don't play these days, but I think I could have had a 50% WR over the two accounts earlier than 8k if I continued playing while I was still active.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

One big reason for your winrate climbing is grinding, or rather not grinding. After several thousand games, most likely you have several tanks in your garage that you have already grinded past but kept because you actually like them.

Playing tanks you hate (but have to grind past) is a good way to lose, and that will reflect strongly in your statistics, as much if not more than just practice.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Dominus Atheos wrote:One big reason for your winrate climbing is grinding, or rather not grinding. After several thousand games, most likely you have several tanks in your garage that you have already grinded past but kept because you actually like them.

Playing tanks you hate (but have to grind past) is a good way to lose, and that will reflect strongly in your statistics, as much if not more than just practice.
Oh gods, THIS.

Even with tanks you like, or expect to like, your win rate will probably take a massive hit when you first unlock them if you're (a) not burning loads of free XP to unlock everything or (b) spending tons of gold to retrain your crew. (One reason WoWS is much more agreeable to grind is that stock configurations, retraining gold costs, and quality of your crew without gold retraining are all better, incidentally.)

I've just moved from the T29 (aka turret-senpai) to the T32 (aka slow fragile useless POS). Even retraining the crew using boosters and the Chrysler, jumping into a stock T32 - which meets Tier Xs - with a 90mm gun and suspension that can only carry one, and a lightweight one at that, piece of equipment is painful.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

O.o

Just leaving this here for a while the drugs wear off; things will look saner in the morning.

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Jub wrote:O.o

Just leaving this here for a while the drugs wear off; things will look saner in the morning.
Yeah, I'm not amused. Hopefully they keep this pay to win tank far away from the EU servers
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Yeah, they're not coming to EU or NA. It was considered, but the typical response from the Forum Propriety Entertainment Board, whos job it is to make sure that players are only having the kind of fun as out forth by the Forum Propriety Entertainment Board and incessantly decry and distort everything the Board declares Badwrongfun, made Wargaming decide to keep them on the Asian server. This was declared by the Forum Propriety Entertainment Board to be the proper action, lest people liking what the Board does not like be allowed to engage in badwrongun.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I bought a T26E5 Patriot because I'm awful
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

and i bought one cus !'Murica!
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Nothing wrong with that. It's a stronk tank and fun to play with
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Finally got HT-15 (2nd one, 8k combined damage) done... in the Chrysler, unsurprisingly.

Being top tier on Tundra, take the east-side corridor, and finding an Emil I and an IS-3 who are happy to bounce off you for minutes on end without effectively pushing, is fabulous.

However, Steam Summer Sale = get fucked, WG! As far as more of my money goes for the forseeable future.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Yeah, I ended up getting The Division through the summer sale.