World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: World of Warships

Post by Jub »

I haven't played much in months, but the low tier German BBs are pretty fun.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Followed by an excellent game in the Kamikaze. I'm not great with DDs so 8 torp hits are something special for me.

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nice games Jub. Particularly the Kaiser, it can be tricky to make those turrets work for you I'm finding.

Also,

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/comm ... otes-0512/

SPOTTING DAMAGE MOTHER FUCKER!

Also much lower repair costs. Huzzzah!
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ranked is up!

The single-tier nature of it is definitely more fair and competitive... but a touch bland, given the limited number of ships you can bring.

Sub rank 15, my games were dominated by Fusos, New Mexicos, and the new Bayern. I ran my Cleveland a couple games, and one in my Mutsuki, but the fragility of the former with so many BBs and the lack of flexibility in the latter next to the Farragut made playing a BB almost a no-brainer. I've seen Budyonnys, Aobas and even Nurnbergs used to good effect thanks to their torpedo loads. Clevelands with DF can ruin a CVs day, but I ran HS since there were pretty few CVs compared to DDs.

Oddly, I never saw a Warspite or Anshan that I remember. Warspites were all over the place last season, and damn stronk even in the Tier 7 meta.

Now that I'm up to Tier 8... I'm a bit conflicted. I don't actually have any tier 8s yet - the closest are the Mahan (just unlocked) and the Yorck (reasonable amount of play on, still well away from the Hipper, which no one likes anyway).

I'm tempted to either splurge on the Tirpitz, Kutuzov or Atago... I'm very comfortable fighting 8s and even 9s in my Atlanta (which was supposed to be my go-to Ranked weapon, go figure).
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The economy change fucked up good players like me. Before I could earn 200k+ on a T9, now I can only earn 100k if I have a really good game (150k with flags). This is a really bad change. CV players have it even worse, 40k profit in a 200k damage game.

As to ranked, do not buy a cruiser which requires its own playstyle (like Kutu). You will just derp as you most likely do not know things like smoke timers, when to slow down etc. by heart.

Your best bet would probably be the atago, as it is the easiest to play. Tirpitz is "easy" too but you need to know where to aim on other BBs (no, you do not always aim at the waterline with the derpitz, you need to change aiming location depending on target).
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:The economy change fucked up good players like me. Before I could earn 200k+ on a T9, now I can only earn 100k if I have a really good game (150k with flags). This is a really bad change. CV players have it even worse, 40k profit in a 200k damage game.
Well that's unfortunate. What's the breakover point? CV players are already an endangered species without average games going negative.
As to ranked, do not buy a cruiser which requires its own playstyle (like Kutu). You will just derp as you most likely do not know things like smoke timers, when to slow down etc. by heart.
At first, I was confused, assuming that the Kutu was just an overgrown Atlanta & that the smoke was just a bonus with radar everywhere. Then I realized how ridiculously flat the gun arcs are. Huh.
Your best bet would probably be the atago, as it is the easiest to play. Tirpitz is "easy" too but you need to know where to aim on other BBs (no, you do not always aim at the waterline with the derpitz, you need to change aiming location depending on target).
Thanks. I'm debating between those two, as I've gotten pretty good at selective targeting. It'll probably come down to what troll sales for people frustrated with ranked come out on the weekend...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:
Thanas wrote:The economy change fucked up good players like me. Before I could earn 200k+ on a T9, now I can only earn 100k if I have a really good game (150k with flags). This is a really bad change. CV players have it even worse, 40k profit in a 200k damage game.
Well that's unfortunate. What's the breakover point? CV players are already an endangered species without average games going negative.
A clanmate from me who is among the best CV players in Europe is now barely breaking even with all flags and premium. Average games are bound to be going negative.

As for myself, I do consider me to be a pretty good player. Currently using the ranked repair flags, running premium and the Zulu flag I barely make over 50-70k profit in a (for me) average game. My average is 6-10% higher, my damage output in the ship in question is a full 30% (25k) higher than the average player. I push, my XP is over 500 base points higher than average. And yet I barely make money.

Venator wrote:Thanks. I'm debating between those two, as I've gotten pretty good at selective targeting. It'll probably come down to what troll sales for people frustrated with ranked come out on the weekend...
After playing all ships in question in ranked, I would suggest you either grind to bismarck really fast or buy the Tirpitz. Atagos - as it turns out - are not really viable in the BB heavy meta unless you are a unicum player. I find that I do more damage in BB anyway and survive better in the specific ranked situation.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Venator wrote:
A clanmate from me who is among the best CV players in Europe is now barely breaking even with all flags and premium. Average games are bound to be going negative.

As for myself, I do consider me to be a pretty good player. Currently using the ranked repair flags, running premium and the Zulu flag I barely make over 50-70k profit in a (for me) average game. My average is 6-10% higher, my damage output in the ship in question is a full 30% (25k) higher than the average player. I push, my XP is over 500 base points higher than average. And yet I barely make money.
That... makes no sense to me. They reduce resupply costs, change repair costs, and (allegedly) added bonuses for spotting, "supporting allies" etc... and that happens. I wish they were more transparent about how the math works, but they don't because 1. Wargaming, lol transparency and 2. people would probably just use it as a guide to code bots.

I'm sure we'll see another change in a patch or two. I haven't scrutinized my earnings, but I haven't gone negative at games tier 5-7 once... that said, I'm a strictly average player who has some excellent and a few terrible games.
Venator wrote:Thanks. I'm debating between those two, as I've gotten pretty good at selective targeting. It'll probably come down to what troll sales for people frustrated with ranked come out on the weekend...
After playing all ships in question in ranked, I would suggest you either grind to bismarck really fast or buy the Tirpitz. Atagos - as it turns out - are not really viable in the BB heavy meta unless you are a unicum player. I find that I do more damage in BB anyway and survive better in the specific ranked situation.
Considering I'm still on the Kaiser... probably going for condition B. I was leaning towards the Tirpitz for 3 reasons - Dad's German, I have a meter-long model I've been meaning to build and paint for years, and I already have a fragile premium that thinks it's a DD. Appreciate the feedback.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:That... makes no sense to me. They reduce resupply costs, change repair costs, and (allegedly) added bonuses for spotting, "supporting allies" etc... and that happens. I wish they were more transparent about how the math works, but they don't because 1. Wargaming, lol transparency and 2. people would probably just use it as a guide to code bots.

I'm sure we'll see another change in a patch or two. I haven't scrutinized my earnings, but I haven't gone negative at games tier 5-7 once... that said, I'm a strictly average player who has some excellent and a few terrible games.
Some guys I know theorize that wargaming eventually wants to move to the WoT model where you have to play T8 more often than T10 and see this as the first step towards that.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Venator wrote:That... makes no sense to me. They reduce resupply costs, change repair costs, and (allegedly) added bonuses for spotting, "supporting allies" etc... and that happens. I wish they were more transparent about how the math works, but they don't because 1. Wargaming, lol transparency and 2. people would probably just use it as a guide to code bots.

Some guys I know theorize that wargaming eventually wants to move to the WoT model where you have to play T8 more often than T10 and see this as the first step towards that.
Ah. Yeah, that would explain it, at least in part.

Thinking about it, there is another reason to push players down a couple tiers. Quite rightly, you can't buy Tier 9 or 10 premiums. So people flock to Tier 8s for the massive credit coefficient. Resulting in tons of idiots completely out of their depth, having just spent $60-80, ending up bottom tier since everyone experienced is casually deleting them from existence with their Yamatos and Skillwalls. Cue a lot of frustration, refund requests, and drop in player count...
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I have a random unrelated question!

Why is the term "battleship" abbreviated/acronymotizated to "BB"?

I've seen this same acronym used a lot in Warhammer 40,000 Battlefleet Gothic (both tabletop and PC game) discussions.. how come battleships are "BB" instead of "BS"?

Edit: Assuming I haven't gotten it all wrong and I've misread the acronym everywhere.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It's an abbreviation. An acronym is something you can pronounce. The US didn't go crazy for acronyms until after WW2.

It's almost certainly BB because back when that was decided in 1920 someone in the US Navy would have known using 'BS' would create unending jokes about bullshit ships, and because BB is simply a clearer shorthand, which is the problem those abbreviations were supposed to deal with.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... e-1920.htm
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Guesss who got featured on project wrecked's youtube channel:

direct link if this does not work or does not allow fullscreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vGf6AK-M0o
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I present to you the fucked up CV economy due to WG:
http://imgur.com/a/2eknq

This was a 216k damage game.
27 plane kills with one fighter squad.
Witherer.
High caliber.

Base xp: 1000.
Cash made (with premium and flags): 100k.
Without premium and flags: -70k loss.

REALLY WG? WTF?
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Guesss who got featured on project wrecked's youtube channel:
direct link if this does not work or does not allow fullscreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vGf6AK-M0o
Nicely played, though painfully ironic that he starts talking about how good the changes to economics sounds in light of your post on the CV...

Also, where can I go to get braindead Derpitz opponents like Mr. Broadside from the beginning of that video?

I brawled one yesterday in the Atlanta (my flank crumbled, it was him or an Izumo and a Mogami...) who managed to dodge two torpedo spreads, and somehow took sustained fire to every square inch of his hull without a single fire.

Next game, I fired 8 shots from my Yorck and got promptly detonated. 3 fires. Demolition Expert FTW, apparently.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:Also, where can I go to get braindead Derpitz opponents like Mr. Broadside from the beginning of that video?.
He was actually trying to throw my aim off by adjusting speed and stopping. Had I not taken time to aim it would have worked too. But yeah, you'd think that after the first two salvos he would hae learned....
------------
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, I got back into this game after a pretty long hiatus. Decided to just reboot and start over.

How ludicrous is it that the only British ships available at the moment are pay-to-play? You'd think they could do better by simply reskinning some American ships and tweaking a few stats, at least for a few cruisers and destroyers to start out with.

Japanese and US trees appear to be well developed, but unless I'm wrong, the Russians only seem to have cruisers and destroyers atm? Germans only have cruisers and BB's?

Started out with Germans. Hermelin is so-so but OK. Dresden though is a poor man's St Louis... lots of guns, decent armour and speed. I like it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Elheru Aran wrote:Well, I got back into this game after a pretty long hiatus. Decided to just reboot and start over.
And you didn't even give one of us your referral code?! You could have gotten 2 premium ships and a bunch of other free shit :(.
How ludicrous is it that the only British ships available at the moment are pay-to-play? You'd think they could do better by simply reskinning some American ships and tweaking a few stats, at least for a few cruisers and destroyers to start out with.
In fairness, the light cruiser line is FINALLY only a patch away or so... but it's hard to call that fair given it's probably the most famous Navy in history. I'm sure there's a grand plan somewhere in there to tease little bits to keep everyone who wants to play the Royal Navy playing and buying other products, till they actually release the RN.
Japanese and US trees appear to be well developed, but unless I'm wrong, the Russians only seem to have cruisers and destroyers atm? Germans only have cruisers and BB's?
Correct (I remember the days before US Battleships and IJN carriers...) German cruisers and Russian DDs came out at the same time if I remember, then Russian cruisers, and German BBs just a patch ago or so. They like to release model lines slowly so people don't get saturated with ships they don't know how to play or play against, and to keep interest piqued. It's the same reason BMW will launch the 3-Series sedan/wagon... then the coupe... then the convertible... then the M3...
Started out with Germans. Hermelin is so-so but OK. Dresden though is a poor man's St Louis... lots of guns, decent armour and speed. I like it.
The Dresden is an unholy terror if you're douchy enough to run a high-skill captain on her. You'll probably find the Kolberg and Karlsruhe to be pretty meh, but the Konigsberg is probably one of my favourite ships tier-for-tier that I've played.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There is such a thing as a referral code?! I might still be able to use it, I only just got it yesterday. I went to the website so I don't know if I got one.

You know what would be kind of an awesome game... an Age of Sail version of WoWS. You could even do it without much modification to the engine; perhaps an adjustment to allow for wind direction affecting speed and navigation. You could even have a Trireme Battle Arena where ramming and boarding are viable tactics.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I've mused that age of sail might be more fun, mainly on the basis that now players could capture each others ships, and pay ransom to get their crews and captains back. Your ship hull would not be nearly as important as crew ect... Sinking the enemy would earn you XP and prestige but little or no direct money.

Straight ramming and boarding with galleys in a fleet action was viable until the 1580s though, about 70 years after the first broadside ships appeared in north europe, and the galley was useful long after that in coastal waters. I believe the last rowing frigates the French built were laid down after the Napoleonic Wars. Though such vessels could really only do 1-2 knots above the current. Still incredible valuable in coastal assaults and defense vs pure wind power. This directly overlapped with the first steam tugs.

The interesting thing with the pre cannon galleys is that only the smaller ones like the trireme were actually vulnerable (on a strategically relevant basis) to being sunk by ramming. The bigger ones that came to be favored by the later Greeks and then Romans ect... had hulls too strong and enough depth of hold for reserve buoyancy to avoid fatal damage, and meanwhile could mount mechanical and later gunpowder artillery. In theory they could still sink each other by ramming, but at that point the lower speed and agility make a successful hit unlikely in the first place. That's why people stopped bothering to even mount rams which cost them speed and endurance from the hull drag, in favor of above water spurs and ramps for pure boarding. Sweep enemy decks with artillery, keep reinforcing your leading galleys from the rearones by boat, board, turn captured guns on enemy, victory. In the 16thcentury Med every galley would deploy a big 25 man boat, they had to tow these normally, as a support unit to engage in such silly tactics as physically trying to jam the rudders on bigger ships. Literally, with wooden wedges. Also had drills to poke holes in the enemy hull.

That would certainly give some interesting ways for disimilar tactics in game. But honestly I can't imagine interest would ever be high enough for a free to play game like that to exist, a naval boarding mod for the game Chivalry would probably make more money outright, while wargamming is steering clear of the FPS crowd.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I wouldn't use ransoms as part of the game personally, I think it'd be likely to piss off too many players. But you're right, crew would get fairly important there. Perhaps use something along the lines of the Commanders and have more options per ship. If you capture a ship, you become vulnerable to getting shot at by ships allied to the ship you're capturing, and potentially THEY could capture YOU if you don't have enough Crew, yours isn't well trained, whatever.

I was thinking about it and realized that there's enough variety that you're looking at millennia worth of various ships, so it'd be better to have separate categories with only a few ships. Say 'Ancient Mediterranean' for your galley battles with maybe three ships in increasing size/complexity, the largest having artillery; 'Spanish Armada' starting with galleys and ending up with galleons, you could mix this up with pirates for extra fun; 'Rule Britannia' mode for the Age of Sail proper. You could have more variety here. Wind it up with 'Age of Steam' and introduce a few steam-powered sailships and early ironclads.

The game would focus more on quick battles in each category rather than progressing up a tech-tree. Pop in, go play a few games in your galley, sink a few ships, get sunk a few times, pop on out. This might work better on mobile than computer, though.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not a free MMO wargame. More of an open-world game. Show-off. :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Venator wrote:
In fairness, the light cruiser line is FINALLY only a patch away or so... but it's hard to call that fair given it's probably the most famous Navy in history. I'm sure there's a grand plan somewhere in there to tease little bits to keep everyone who wants to play the Royal Navy playing and buying other products, till they actually release the RN.
I read on the Paradox forums (they have a thread for this there as well) that Wargaming had issues getting RN blueprints, or something like that.

Can't imagine why and/or confirm it though.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I read on the Paradox forums (they have a thread for this there as well) that Wargaming had issues getting RN blueprints, or something like that.

Can't imagine why and/or confirm it though.
Apparently the Royal Navy is real stingy when it comes to sharing design details, plus with them being a russian company it wasn't easy getting access to the RN archives.

That is what wargaming has claimed multiple times.
------------
------------
My LPs