Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I look forward to it, but I suspect it will be a while. My Romulan character is still only at level 12.
trust me when I say that once you've done that you'll see Obisek's point of view even if you still don't agree with it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elheru Aran wrote:The Iconians are supposedly part of the whole long-term story arc. I kinda feel like they shoehorned them in once they introduced the Romulan storyline, though. Not sure if there was much about them before then, although there were implications when they pulled out the Elachi.
Well, most of the other threats to the peace of the Alpha Quadrant are both overt and compartmentalized- the Borg are the Borg, the the Klingons are the Klingons, and so on. If there's going to be anything other than a sequence of story arcs of the form "okay, this month we're dealing with Klingons, this month we're dealing with unrelated Romulans, this month we're dealing with unrelated revanchist Cardassians..." you need a master villain who is by necessity well-hidden. Otherwise, they'd be just another bunch of existing villains like the Borg or Species 8472.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Looks like I'm done with Romulans for now. Time to head to Deep Space 9. And oh boy, its going to cost me a lot of energy credits to transwarp to it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think you might be able to transwarp free to Sol system and then fly normally to DS9 in the middle of Beta Ursae sector block (in Bajor sector) and if you got at all decent warpcore it shouldn't take too long either.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Even flying at normal warp speeds isn't that onerous; you point your ship in the right general direction using the minimap, hit "R" or whatever a few times to get your ship moving at top speed, then sit back and read a book until you hit the other side of the sector.

I wouldn't be willing to spend energy credits to save the time, normally.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Simon_Jester wrote:Even flying at normal warp speeds isn't that onerous; you point your ship in the right general direction using the minimap, hit "R" or whatever a few times to get your ship moving at top speed, then sit back and read a book until you hit the other side of the sector.

I wouldn't be willing to spend energy credits to save the time, normally.
"R" at least in my keybindings is "full speed toggle" meaning pressing it once would give you your max regular speed (you need to press "shift-R" for full impulse or slipstream IIRC).

another way is to click the of the system you want to go to and the ship will fly the automatically with reasonble accuracity (only real exception being the Solanae space gate in Tau Dewa which the automatic pilot never gets right stopping about 0.2 ly short of the actual object) and if you are in a different sector block you can auto pilot to the sector exits too, oh and you always Transwarp free to your faction "capital" (Sol system, Qu'nos system) and Rommies get a free transwarp to New Romulos too once it's opened to you.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:The Iconians are supposedly part of the whole long-term story arc. I kinda feel like they shoehorned them in once they introduced the Romulan storyline, though. Not sure if there was much about them before then, although there were implications when they pulled out the Elachi.
They were at the very end of the old Undine arc, which used to be the last of the story missions before the revamp. And they were also mentioned at least in the original "Taris" as well. So it wasn't completely out of left field.
Lord Revan wrote:oh and you always Transwarp free to your faction "capital" (Sol system, Qu'nos system) and Rommies get a free transwarp to New Romulos too once it's opened to you.
You can also pick up some free transwarp destinations from the Reputation tracks as well as Diplomacy Doffing (and IIRC Marauding for Klingons).
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Deep Space 9 looks like a popular destination. The space around it is packed with starships. No familiar faces so far, but I guess its been a long time since the Dominion War.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Deep Space 9 looks like a popular destination. The space around it is packed with starships. No familiar faces so far, but I guess its been a long time since the Dominion War.
30-40 years in game time IIRC STO is set in 2409-2410 and Dominion war was in late 2370s IIRC. Though atm I think DS9 is popular cause it's one of the main places for Omega fragments.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

RogueIce wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:oh and you always Transwarp free to your faction "capital" (Sol system, Qu'nos system) and Rommies get a free transwarp to New Romulos too once it's opened to you.
You can also pick up some free transwarp destinations from the Reputation tracks as well as Diplomacy Doffing (and IIRC Marauding for Klingons).
diplomacy/marauding gives you 2 free transwarp destinations (DS9 and another which depends on your faction), Deferi questline gives you free transwarp there, you get a free transwarp to your fleet starbase and spire, at some point in the Romulan story you get free transwarp to Tau Dewa sector block and at tier 1 of Delta Alliance you get a free transwarp to the Delta Quadrant sector space, I probably missed some though and these free transwarps have 30 min shared cooldown too.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I seem to be just one level short of admiral. Looking forward to getting a new ship again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Oh, I like that they finally followed up on the Riker's duplicate story.

Edit: Joshua Riker is both bad ass and funny. During fighting he just charges the enemy and starts hitting them (he appears to not have a weapon), even if the enemy is a giant turret. :)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, I seem to be just one level short of admiral. Looking forward to getting a new ship again.
rear admiral lower half is the last "free" ship you get IIRC, you might have enough time to get the Kobali Samsaar before the time runs out though I'm not sure (the Samsaar is tier 6 cruiser with a single command/engi seat)

and yeah Josh Riker does not use a weapon but his fists.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

What's the Samsaar and why should I get it besides the fact that its a tier 6 cruiser?

Anyway, I kind of having my heart set on a Sovereign. Its one of my favourite Federation ship designs.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Get T6 ships when they're free. ALWAYS. Do you not even know what T6 means?

It means that when you finish mastering the ship, you get a starship trait that's tied to your CHARACTER, not the ship, so you can then go pootle around in your Sovereign with the trait from the Samsar.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, I'm not a terribly competitive player. I don't particularly care about having the most powerful ship out there as long as its a ship I like and its reasonably effective. But I admit that a free tier six ship is tempting. I'll have to see what's available when I finally get the promotion.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Sov's a pretty good ship itself, IIRC. Granted, it's been quite some time since I've played.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, I'm not a terribly competitive player. I don't particularly care about having the most powerful ship out there as long as its a ship I like and its reasonably effective. But I admit that a free tier six ship is tempting. I'll have to see what's available when I finally get the promotion.
to get the Samsaar you need to collect 1000 marks for 5th anniversery event (qmendations IIRC) and it's a limited time offer only (until 3rd of next month IIRC) all other tier 6 ships cost Zen (and thus real money). The Starship trait you get from the Samsaar is nice too even if you choose not to use. Now you can probably make due with an tier 4 ship (lowest tier to have ships that you can buy with Dilithium) but it's a alot easier with tier 5-U or tier 6 ship.

the Sovereign is nice ship though and if I had Fed Engi I'd probably get it, hell I'd probably get if I had a fed Sci.

EDIT:it's not so much about being top of the DPS charts but alot of the Delta Quadrant stuff is balanced with tier 6 ships in mind, so it'll be alot easier with a tier 5-U or tier 6 ship then a tier 4 ship trust me I've done most of it on tier 4 ship and I can be pretty painful. Not to mention if ever want to use intel or command abilities in space you need tier 6, though no free intel ships exist as far as I know.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

btw I'm planning on making a Sci character (I'm farming the Dilithium for zen needed for the extra character slots at this time). Any recomendations as to what skills and kit powers I should pick up for making leveling faster. Oh and I am thinking for build that's capable of decent healing at max level.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

There's currently a vigil for Leonard Nimoy surrounding the fountain on Vulcan.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

This is a thread I've meant to respond to many times, and somehow never got around to. Anyway, if you need a FED fleet and are not joining one of the big fleets (Reddit has a total of 4 fleets and has a number of my toons in them) I have invite rights to a largely inactive (aka doff, dil and mark dump) Federation fleet. We are at Tier 3 for the main starbase for the most part and most of the other sections are level 1 and 2. Unless your heart is set on a fleet ship that is above the tier 3 shipyard, its a good place to make fleet credits (there should also be free gear for lower levels in the fleet bank). Basically, so long as your not buying a fleet ship, you can use any starbase that you get invited onto. So even if our base doesn't have elite phaser arrays, you can get an invite to another starbase and use their stores to buy items, although the provisions come from your fleet. The only exception is fleet ships, which require you be a member of the fleet you buy from.

My tag is @aristotech and my Fed main is Airs@aristotech also my overall main is Kaizen, KDF in House of Snoo (main reddit KDF fleet). I used to spread my time/attention among 2 or 3 toons, but DR forced me to make a choice, so my KDF engineer is the current main.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I'm kind of off STO for now. League of Legends has consumed me entirely for the time being, so I'm not sure when I'll pick it back up :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

that XP boost weekend makes leveling really fast I made my sci officer on saturday and he's already lvl 47
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Man, I'm out of practice. This could take some adjusting.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

the good thing about STO is that unless you really want to be at the top you can do decent(ish) DPS easily.