Indie dev threatens Gabe Newell. While selling on Steam

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Indie dev threatens Gabe Newell. While selling on Steam

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, honestly the stuff he said was way beyond the normal. If he's like that on Twitter I see no reason to assume he's anyone you'd want to work with.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, honestly the stuff he said was way beyond the normal. If he's like that on Twitter I see no reason to assume he's anyone you'd want to work with.
Some people are chill offline and nut jobs when they get behind a keyboard and depending on his personality the stress of the PR side could have also been a major factor. Not trying to excuse his behavior, just saying that he might be a good worker in a more limited role.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jub wrote:It isn't easy to be in the public relations chair
No it isn't. Especially small teams that don't have the money to hire anyone experienced. Which leads to indie devs pulling all sorts of stupid moves.
and I hope that the next team he joins will allow him to work without dealing with members of the public.
If someone is willing to take him on.

Think of the times you've heard of a game being pulled from Steam by Valve. Every one I can think of, other than Paranautical Activity, involved a serious shitstorm which the devs made worse by attempting to censor the Steam forum for their game. Valve did not pull them quickly.

With Paranautical Activity there was no shitstorm. Just a single tweet and Valve reacting very quickly.

How many developers would be too scared of him saying something stupid that gets Valve to pull their game to touch him ?

Worse still, how many would worry that Valve has enough of a grudge with him that they will punish anyone who hires him ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

[quote="bilateralrope"How many developers would be too scared of him saying something stupid that gets Valve to pull their game to touch him ?

Worse still, how many would worry that Valve has enough of a grudge with him that they will punish anyone who hires him ?[/quote]

I doubt valve will hold a grudge against a single person, especially after the company PR coaches him through a proper apology and throws around words like 'sensitivity training' and 'personal reform'. Plus companies interested in him can always make an attempt at contacting steam about hiring him and ensure that it won't be an issue. This doesn't mean people will be eager to hire him, but he can overcome this if making games is his passion.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I really doubt anyone will touch him at this point, regardless of what Valve may think. Someone shoots their mouth off like that, more than once? No company in their right mind will come withing a thousand yards of a person like that. As far as any big companies are concerned, he's a high risk for flipping out over a bad review or something and going after the person who wrote the review. Verbally, of course.

His career is shot. Likely forever. If he's really lucky, he might get hired on somewhere that will monitor all of his social media activity and pull the plug on him the minute he uses a word worse than "darn."
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Game looks like shit anyway, so I suspect a career in game development was unlikely for him.