PS4 Reveal at E3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: PS4 Reveal at E3

Post by Vendetta »

Havok wrote:(I honestly can't believe people bitch about the prices. You are gonna use the system every fucking day.)
Possibly, it's still quite a large lump sum for a lot of people.

Especially when there's a near identical competitor for $100 less.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Vendetta wrote:Especially when there's a near identical competitor for $100 less.
Well that depends on where you're from, if you're from Europe or Aus then the difference is more than $100 since the PS4 is region-free and you can order the American version and just pay the shipping.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Sorry to double post but I just found this: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Do ... 56656.html

According to this article Sony isn't allowing online passes on even 3rd Party games.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

That's pretty awesome. As if the win for Sony here wasn't big enough, it seems they have surpassed my expectations on getting an actual clue. It's like Sony actually learnt from their mistakes last generation, while MS have looked at how W8 and WP8 have turned out, thought that was a good plan, and copied it for consoles.

Both consoles have apparently sold out on Amazon pre-orders. Only Sony's is at the top of the ranking for gaming sales.

Of course, we may get to December and find that the Xbone has been giving free orgasms to each owner on the hour, while the PS4 is prone to exploding in one's face when powered on. We will have to wait and see.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Both consoles have apparently sold out on Amazon pre-orders.
Which means nothing unless we know how many units were available for preorder.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Both consoles have apparently sold out on Amazon pre-orders. Only Sony's is at the top of the ranking for gaming sales.
Much of both are probably the people who buy early, then capitalize on shortages and sell to desperate people for profit.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Havok wrote: (I honestly can't believe people bitch about the prices. You are gonna use the system every fucking day.)
I don't use my console that often. There are going to be plenty of casual gamers who aren't gaming that often, and hence making it ridiculous for them to pay an extra 100 USD.

Like others have said, not everyone is rich enough to waste a 100 bucks ( or more depending on the exchange rates) when they can spend it on other stuff. There's no need to be so condescending towards people who aren't as rich as you.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Admiral Valdemar wrote:That's pretty awesome. As if the win for Sony here wasn't big enough, it seems they have surpassed my expectations on getting an actual clue. It's like Sony actually learnt from their mistakes last generation, while MS have looked at how W8 and WP8 have turned out, thought that was a good plan, and copied it for consoles.
Speaking of W8, according to conference goers playing the Xbox One demos MS is playing them on PCs, they're reporting game crashes to desktop and the ironic thing is they're crashing to Windows 7. So even MS thinks W8 isn't good enough to run their software on! :P
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I haven't heard about any demos crashing to desktop, let alone windows 7, but the Xbone demo that was actually running on a pc was Battlefield 4 which is cross platform to begin with and obviously not developed by Microsoft.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Considering how badly Microsoft is fucking up with the Xbox One so far, I don't think Sony would even NEED to have a bunch of good ideas to top them. They just need to be not horrible.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

General Schatten wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:That's pretty awesome. As if the win for Sony here wasn't big enough, it seems they have surpassed my expectations on getting an actual clue. It's like Sony actually learnt from their mistakes last generation, while MS have looked at how W8 and WP8 have turned out, thought that was a good plan, and copied it for consoles.
Speaking of W8, according to conference goers playing the Xbox One demos MS is playing them on PCs, they're reporting game crashes to desktop and the ironic thing is they're crashing to Windows 7. So even MS thinks W8 isn't good enough to run their software on! :P

PROTIP, development kits are frequently not based on final hardware and software but are updated over time.

PROTIP: The Windows 8 "desktop" is just another application, you can easily build a W8 customized to not have Metro.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Ace Pace wrote:
General Schatten wrote:

PROTIP, development kits are frequently not based on final hardware and software but are updated over time.

PROTIP: The Windows 8 "desktop" is just another application, you can easily build a W8 customized to not have Metro.
Now now, lets not interfere with the ignorant Xbox One bashing.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Flagg wrote: Now now, lets not interfere with the ignorant Xbox One bashing.
I don't give a shit either way, but that was just irrelevant bashing.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

DaveJB wrote:Sony on the other hand haven't been doing so hot in all their departments since about 2007, and another PS3-like performance for them could have had very bad consequences in the long run.
Actually, Sony makes a lot (A LOT) of money on insurance in Japan, which as I understand it basically subsidises everything else the company likes doing.
General Schatten wrote:Sorry to double post but I just found this: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Do ... 56656.html
Posted that link yesterday good buddy :v
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Of course, we may get to December and find that the Xbone has been giving free orgasms to each owner on the hour...
Yeah, and then you find out why Microsoft made the webcam a compulsory peripheral you have to connect to broadband internet at least once a day.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Shinova wrote:Much of both are probably the people who buy early, then capitalize on shortages and sell to desperate people for profit.
A buddy did that inadvertently with the WiiU last year. He pre-ordered, went to pick it up, was just walking out of Best Buy with it, and some guy offered him $2000 cash for it on the spot.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Dominus Atheos wrote:I haven't heard about any demos crashing to desktop, let alone windows 7, but the Xbone demo that was actually running on a pc was Battlefield 4 which is cross platform to begin with and obviously not developed by Microsoft.
There's a short article here.
Truth be told, none of this should be a surprise to most people given that all E3 demos run their games on high-end PCs; it's a smoke and mirrors circus to sell the idea of the game, sort of like how pro wrestling sells the idea of fighting despite being scripted. We should all be used to it by now and it's just common practice [from most studios] given that the devkits or comparable specs aren't usually finalized at this point.

However, in this particular case it does look bad on Microsoft's end that they didn't even trust to run the games from their latest Windows 8 operating system. As many people questioned on Twitter, why not Windows 8? Heck, Windows 8 is what one of the Xbox One's operating systems are based on. Opting for Windows 7 during E3 seems like Microsoft may not have had the confidence in their latest OS to put on the show they required or demo the games in the best of light.

I suppose the only real damning thing about this kind of exposure is that Microsoft didn't even use “comparable specs" from the company providing them with video cards in their home console. For those of you who don't know the Xbox One will run on a modified AMD GPU that, according to Extreme Tech, is on the level of a mid-ranged Radeon 7790. I guess the 7790 wasn't powerful enough for the Xbox One's E3 games eh? They needed a real manly card like the GTX 780, eh?
The 780 does seem pretty fucking beefy considering the actual hardware in the box. But it's not like developers don't consistently lie to us or anything.....
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

TheFeniX wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:I haven't heard about any demos crashing to desktop, let alone windows 7, but the Xbone demo that was actually running on a pc was Battlefield 4 which is cross platform to begin with and obviously not developed by Microsoft.
There's a short article here.
Truth be told, none of this should be a surprise to most people given that all E3 demos run their games on high-end PCs; it's a smoke and mirrors circus to sell the idea of the game, sort of like how pro wrestling sells the idea of fighting despite being scripted. We should all be used to it by now and it's just common practice [from most studios] given that the devkits or comparable specs aren't usually finalized at this point.

However, in this particular case it does look bad on Microsoft's end that they didn't even trust to run the games from their latest Windows 8 operating system. As many people questioned on Twitter, why not Windows 8? Heck, Windows 8 is what one of the Xbox One's operating systems are based on. Opting for Windows 7 during E3 seems like Microsoft may not have had the confidence in their latest OS to put on the show they required or demo the games in the best of light.

I suppose the only real damning thing about this kind of exposure is that Microsoft didn't even use “comparable specs" from the company providing them with video cards in their home console. For those of you who don't know the Xbox One will run on a modified AMD GPU that, according to Extreme Tech, is on the level of a mid-ranged Radeon 7790. I guess the 7790 wasn't powerful enough for the Xbox One's E3 games eh? They needed a real manly card like the GTX 780, eh?
The 780 does seem pretty fucking beefy considering the actual hardware in the box. But it's not like developers don't consistently lie to us or anything.....
I honestly don't understand the story. This is pure sensationalism done by people who should know better.

1) Games rarely start out by running at target FPS on target hardware.
2) I don't know any developer who breaks his working tool chain just to upgrade an OS.
3) Anyone surprised that when displaying a still moving technological product, you're going to demo it in the best case?
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't really care either way. I just think it's funny to call someone out for "sensationalism" when talking about E3 which is 99% sensationalist bullshit and 1% "here's what this thing is going to cost, you can all go home now." That said, the story is easy to understand, most developers won't bother with an OS upgrade if the current one works, but they don't actually own the OS and aren't trying to convince everyone they should be using it. Imagine if these demos crashed to a linux distro. I think that point was really just a dig at MS for "lol M$" reasons. However, I do find issue with demoing games while using a PC whose fucking video card costs more than the console you're supposed to be demoing on.

But that's all gaming marketing: being sold a Lamborghini and getting a Fiero with a body kit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Demoing the game on PC is fine. It's months before the games are released and optimizing is one of the later steps in development, so it shouldn't be surprising. The games probably can't run well on consoles yet.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

General Schatten wrote:Speaking of W8, according to conference goers playing the Xbox One demos MS is playing them on PCs, they're reporting game crashes to desktop and the ironic thing is they're crashing to Windows 7. So even MS thinks W8 isn't good enough to run their software on! :P
Probably because the 3rd party dev studios are running Windows 7, because (a) no sensible company wants to waste money on a pointless upgrade to 8 and (b) very few programmers actually want to use 8. Literally all of the devs I know doing significant development on Windows (top tier finance, AI & gaming people not MSFT-certified bottom feeders) tried 8 and laughed it off in disgust.

Anyway it does look like Sony are winning on nearly all fronts, so despite being a fairly heavy X360 user (we also have a Wii that has been gathering dust for over a year) I expect to get a PS4 (only) for the next gen.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

TheFeniX wrote:I don't really care either way. I just think it's funny to call someone out for "sensationalism" when talking about E3 which is 99% sensationalist bullshit and 1% "here's what this thing is going to cost, you can all go home now."
I'm really only interested in E3 for the game demos. It's what got me interested in The Division, for one.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ace Pace wrote:PROTIP, development kits are frequently not based on final hardware and software but are updated over time.
On the other hand ...
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Ford Prefect wrote:
On the other hand ...
LOL!

*insert now tired MS jab here*

I'm almost feeling sorry for how it turned out for Team Xbox at E3. Maybe stay at home next time?
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

At the very least it shows that Microsoft is behind. Either with the development and optimization of its games, or with its devkits.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!