Shep is going to love this little rocket game

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Shep is going to love this little rocket game

Post by Enigma »

You know, though I toned down the figures I used in editing the LF engine, my ship somehow managed to exceed gee forces of 35 billion. That ship should have been suck light into it. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

GuppyShark wrote:For staging controls? Yeah that'd be handy, although I'd prefer they make the staging a seperate window so you can really get into it instead of all the up and down scrolling.
I really want to be able to group parts and change their stage as one. Pair that with grouping radially symmetric parts and we have a winner.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I made a Saturn V:

It doesn't work properly yet because the S-IVB and CSM are just dummy stages. Once we get hollow 1-2m and 2-3m decoupler shrouds...
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

For those seeking more parts, in the main KSP forums I found a very detailed downloaded set for those wanting even more additions.
http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/ind ... pic=1109.0

Been playing around with it seeing if it helps things out.
Spent the last week trying to get into SPAAAACE and back again with no luck.
Have a design that gets into space rather easily, but every time I add additional stages to get back it all goes to pot.
Gives me a lot of respect for Real rocket scientists :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Additional stages? HA! Parachute + CM + coupler + SAS + big round tank + liquid fuel engine = SSTO, and back for that matter.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Those additional stages look far too professional for the Kerbals.

Still, given my appropriate enthusiasm and lack of aptitude, any additional way of lauching the kerbonauts into the lower stratosphere is a plus.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

WELL! I finally got off my Lazy ass and started uploading some of the huge backlog of Rocket Screenshots I've got.
Starting off going to post the top designs I'm working on in order of oldest to newest.
Kee in mind ALL of these are with the sole purpose of getting a rocket into SPAAAACE with a single stage to then get them back home.

BEHOLD THE THOR MK ONE!
First Design I did after downloading the parts addon. I got a capsule into SPACE several times with this, and this version SHOULD have given the boost needed to launch the final stage with enough force for it to be able to get the capsule home. Sadly I never got it fully work. Inside the first stage are 4 large SRB. They are supposed to drop out form the inside when the run out of fuel. Sadly no matter how many times I've tried editing the launch stages, it always either jettisons the Liquid Fuel Rockets along with the Solids, or they don't jettison at all, and then the added weight means there is not enough speed to get into SPACE.

THE THOR MK TWO!!!
Once again, "almost'" a successful. Able to get a crew into SPACE without the final stage. After adding the final stage, It got to a height of 300,000 with only a speed of 2100mps. Not enough for escape velocity. Adding additional SRB packs to the outside got the curious error of the first stage going "too fast" and flying right up the second stages butt causing MASSIVE DAMAGE
Sadly abandoned.

THE THOR MK3!!!
So I got a bit crazy with this design, MORE MORE MORE!!!
I hounestly didn't think this thing would even get airborn, yet...
It didn't just lift off but is Amazingly stable. The duel stages provid a hell of a lot of lift, but sadly not too much speed. Despite all the extra huge rockets, the thing barely gets to 30,000 meteres at only 300mps before having to fire the final stage. Clearly more is not the answer.

I have a new design in the works I have high hopes for... We shall have to wait and see.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Very hard to turn over, but it goes like a bat...

It still has 2 fueled stages for maneuver and deorbit.

this one is also pretty successful

Something for Shep-

How many rockets are on that?!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Really, trying to make a huge unwieldy rocket like that is overkill for just trying to get to orbit and back, Crossroads. Here is a demonstration of my aforementioned SSTO rocket:

It looks unwieldy as fuck, but it gets the job done. Please note that I wasn't trying to be particularly careful during the burn to orbit, so I had to do a lot of orbital corrections once I actually got there. I still had a third of a tank left when it came time for the reentry burn, though, which let me maneuver such that I landed within walking distance of the launch facility.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Crossroads, at a guess what's killing your uber-rockets is that the weight of the second and higher stage(s) is large compared to the weight of the first stage. That defeats the purpose of staging to an extent- if two thirds of the mass of the rocket is above the first stage, the first stage won't accomplish much before crapping out.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

reposted since I changed the name of a folder on photobucket and I can't edit the links.

Very hard to turn over, but it goes like a bat...

It still has 2 fueled stages for maneuver and deorbit.

this one is also pretty successful

Something for Shep-

How many rockets are on that?!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Ok, well the approach "Less is more" has been tried and seems to be working.
The Thor Mk5

Huge First Stage, very small second, and min third stage. Also utilizing the low thrust light weight Liquid fuel engines as well.
Also using the small SRB since they do not seem to have the explosive problem the large ones do. Also cut back on extra "frills"
Caps, covers, fins, anything that adds weight without function.

Test flight of the Mk5 proved very good:
Final stage started at 1570mps and 95,000meters. Not enough to break orbit.
However, another test where I used 50% of the final stage DID beak past 2500mps which was enough to get into SPACE!!!

EDIT:
After some tweaking I have a new design, breaking with the Thor series and calling it simply "BOOMER"
More compact and taking a risk using big SRB again, but attaching them only to a single breakaway ring which shouldn't have
structural issues. Off to work for a bit so will have updates on it's flight later.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

THREAD REVIVE:

The moon has been added.

Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

There's also an ever so handy orbit monitor, which is just hugely useful. What I want to do is launch a mission to see if the sun is modelled.
Nuts!
Redshirt

Post by Nuts! »

Sephirius wrote:The moon has been added.
We don't have any of those piddly "Lunar modules" on the Mac version of the game! We had to make do with stretching wingtips down really really far and pucker factoring the shit out of our lunar landings! And it was uphill both ways! :D

In all seriousness, though, does the Windows version of the latest build get the shiny LEM module? It would be nice to land without having to MacGyver some landing gear.
Convicted for arson, murder, and writing bad fanfiction.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

That's a terrible landing! Bill and Bob aren't the least bit freaked out!

Have they added a time accelerator/compressor? That would get me back in to the game, blowing up my little kerbalnauts.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Re: Time compression. yes. They even limited it so you can't go into x100 time compression in atmosphere and miss your burn.

And last I checked, the windows version had to McGuyver landing gear as well. Probably a mod pack.

Also, I seem to recall the patch notes saying the sun was modeled for orbiting.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Yeah, it's an addon part, but even so the mechanics of landing remain the same.
which is awesome.

and hard.
:banghead:
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Bumping this up because the latest experimental version (alas, paying customers only) includes persistence and animation - and a set of landing legs by default.

Also, if you are going to buy it, buy it soon because the cost is going to go up from $10 to $15.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

yay, this should allow for a whole bunch of new stuff from the community.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Marko Dash wrote:yay, this should allow for a whole bunch of new stuff from the community.
Oh, it gets even better - they are implementing a plugin structure. This allows new types of parts too be coded. There is already code in development for solar panels that fuel batteries that power electric engines. NovaSilisko is working on implementing sensor functionality to his Probodobodyne (pressure and temperature to start with) pack. The game is very much worth the money at this point.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

that, plus persistent satellites, maybe a docking plug-in and fuel transfer down the road. this increases the possibilities of the program tremendously and has finally convinced my to buy it.

the current experimental build has some bad bugs in the staging system that's preventing me from orbiting at the moment, but that should be worked out soon. the radial decouplers seem to work, but the stage separators are jumping from one to the next one without firing the engines in between.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Kryten
Youngling

Post by Kryten »

Marko Dash wrote: the current experimental build has some bad bugs in the staging system that's preventing me from orbiting at the moment, but that should be worked out soon. the radial decouplers seem to work, but the stage separators are jumping from one to the next one without firing the engines in between.
That only happens if the stage has only a decoupler/s in it; put a strut or fuel tank or something in the same stage, and it works fine.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Personally I'm waiting for better navigational tools.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Yes, I want something that I can just toggle on....something called an...Instrument Unit. :)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944