World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks

Post by PeZook »

No, recent updates allowed two-man platoons even for regular users.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

IGN prime is offering a free trial pack with 750 gold, week of premium and M3 stuart lend lease if you take a month free trial the right way. I'll look for the link when I have more time.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Victory!
Battle: Komarin Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:37:15 PM
Vehicle: E-75
Experience received: 3,368 (doubled for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 59,142
Battle Achievements: Reaper, Top Gun, Boelter's Medal, Sniper

Fun battle with 9 kills including another E-75, Ferdie, and 2 Type 59's. Only 4 days of premium left, so likely to be one of my last notable battles.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

HOLY SHIT I GOT MY FIRST TOP GUN! (Also Reaper)

M2 Medium armed with its 75mm mini-derp gun, and for once I was among the highest-tier tanks on the field. Started at the base in the south, potted a few vehicles from hull-down positions and kept the score more or less even while the rest of our team was having trouble. When it was about 10:10, I went hunting, and nearly got my fool head blown off by an SU-18 fired over open sights near the enemy base.

Scampered back behind the ridge, saw a rival M2 Medium maneuvering to engage. Not sure what they were armed with, probably the same howitzer, because they weren't shooting very fast. Kept pounding them with the 75mm so they couldn't get a shot off; probably tracked them. I know the artillery finished him off.

Then the SU-18 tried to creep up the ridge and finish me off while I was distracted. He shot, he missed... he only got one shot.

Mini-derp.

Yay!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Gervasius
Redshirt

Post by Gervasius »

Simon_Jester wrote:Mini-derp.

Yay!
Wait until you get M4/105, 30mm more gun, twice as much fun!

In other news, M6A2E1 Compensator still kicks ungodly amount of backside and prints credits. Not Lowe-level, but not far off.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

I think I saw you today Jester, assuming you are Simon1Jester.

The Deathstalker is finally a Tigerman.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

No, that wasn't me. PeZook made the same mistake and got cursed at.

I'm Simon_EZ8; apparently at least a few other people in World of Tanks share my tastes in SF.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Teehee. Okay, I've finally figured out how to make the 105mm gun work for me. :)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I am taking full advantage of another Sherman special that commemorates Market Garden ; I bought the vertical stabilizer for a mere 250k...

...the very next match, my Easy 8 was humilitated by a T-34 :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Oh god.

The KV is a horrible, horrible tank...until you get an upgraded gun. The stock 76mm is total crap, and of course the bucket of bolts can't maneuver worth shit, so you get abused by pretty much any medium better than a PzIII.

Then you get one of the two best guns and you derp these same mediums left and right :D

Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Yeah, the last two guns on the KV are so much fun. The 107 lets you rack up kills like no one's business when your near the top of the heap that battle and still hurts even T8 tanks if you aim even slightly well. The 152 is just giggles, knock 30 or 40 percent off a tier 8 or 9 every 30 seconds.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Upgraded so I am now playing on a desktop rather than a laptop, game runs so much better and racking up kills now.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Broken wrote:Yeah, the last two guns on the KV are so much fun. The 107 lets you rack up kills like no one's business when your near the top of the heap that battle and still hurts even T8 tanks if you aim even slightly well. The 152 is just giggles, knock 30 or 40 percent off a tier 8 or 9 every 30 seconds.
Oh god yes.

The 152 is great for the sheer awesomeness of "Whoa did I just pop this guy with one shot?" moments (It pops all mediums up to a Panzer IV level with one blast, and just try shooting a T1 Heavy or M6 Heavy in the ass with it :D), but after getting the 107, well...

There's literally no tank I can't fight with it. Last night me and a single IS held off a T34 (the American heavy), an ISU-152, a T-95 (the absurdly huge American TD) and a Tiger.

1200 exp and 39k credits later (despite dying), and I am in love with the long 107 :D

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

IGN Prime is organizing a World of Tanks Tournament. Anyone interested? Registration lasts until October 2.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

PeZook wrote:1200 exp and 39k credits later (despite dying), and I am in love with the long 107 :D
The SU-85 can get the 107 mm, and is apparently invisible. :roll:
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Fuck yeah! :D

Victory!
Battle: Komarin 6. oktober 2011 19:22:55
Vehicle: KV-5
Experience received: 3 216 (doubled for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 99 913
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Confederate

I just killed an A-20, but dished out serious damage to 6-7 others. It might have been even better if my engine had survived more than half the battle, but even as a stationary turret, I did bad things to them before succumbing to the red horde. I now have more than 100K free xp. Time to get VK3002, and then Tiger and Panther.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
defanatic
Jedi Knight

Post by defanatic »

The Infidel wrote:I just killed an A-20, but dished out serious damage to 6-7 others. It might have been even better if my engine had survived more than half the battle, but even as a stationary turret, I did bad things to them before succumbing to the red horde.
Being a KV-5, weren't you the red horde? We used to have an SDN group up. Is that still there?
>>Your head hurts.

>>Quaff painkillers

>>Your head no longer hurts.
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Hahaa! Finally got the E-50. My tier-9 medium collection is now complete, though the near stock E-50 still sucks ass (216 000 exp to elite, yekes!).
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

defanatic wrote:Being a KV-5, weren't you the red horde?
Yeah, kind of. Since the teams are so mixed, I used the term to represent all the red dots on my minimap. :D I follow the german line, but have a KV-5, T-59 and a BT-2 from the russian/chinese line.

The only reason I bothered with the A-20, was that he avoided 3 of our mediums at our base. I took him out from long distance and had a lucky shot.

Btw: I just got my VK3002(db), but haven't played more than 2-3 battles with it so far. How does this compare to the Panther?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee

Post by Sir Sirius »

The Infidel wrote: Btw: I just got my VK3002(db), but haven't played more than 2-3 battles with it so far. How does this compare to the Panther?
The VKDB gets short-changed in the gun department. The 8,8 cm KwK 36 L/56 penetrates a mere 132, which is totally inadequate at tier-7. The Panthers 7,5 cm KwK 45 L/100 doesn't do much damage per shot, but it does penetrate 198 and has a good rate of fire (as well as laser like accuracy). On the plus side the VKDB is faster and almost as well protected as the Panther.

You might consider skipping the better turret and the 8,8 altogether and grinding your way to the Panther with the 7,5 cm KwK 42 L/70 and the basic turret. The 8,8 isn't really much of an improvement.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Sir Sirius wrote:The VKDB gets short-changed in the gun department. The 8,8 cm KwK 36 L/56 penetrates a mere 132, which is totally inadequate at tier-7. The Panthers 7,5 cm KwK 45 L/100 doesn't do much damage per shot, but it does penetrate 198 and has a good rate of fire (as well as laser like accuracy). On the plus side the VKDB is faster and almost as well protected as the Panther.

You might consider skipping the better turret and the 8,8 altogether and grinding your way to the Panther with the 7,5 cm KwK 42 L/70 and the basic turret. The 8,8 isn't really much of an improvement.
I think I might just get the Panther. That and the Tiger are my goals for now, after all. I just hoped the VK would be a fun tank to play, but it's no fun when your shells keep bouncing off. Damn! I was eager to get the famous 88mm, and then it turns out to be inadequate?

Sometimes, I regret I didn't go the russian line. Those tanks seems to dish out a lot more damage...
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee

Post by Sir Sirius »

The Infidel wrote: Sometimes, I regret I didn't go the russian line. Those tanks seems to dish out a lot more damage...
Well, it depends on the tank. In general the Russian mediums aren't that great between the T-34-85 (excellent gun for its tier) and the T-54 (best medium tank overall). The T-43 is just a bit better protected version of the T-34-85, but that doesn't really make much of a difference since the level opposition you'll face goes up as well. The T-44 at tier-8 still uses the same gun, the 100 mm D10T (inadequate, again), as the T-34-85 and it has the most explosion happy ammo rack in the game.

By comparison the Panthers L/100 7,5 cm skewers pretty much anything you'll face and the Panther II is the best medium at tier-8. In the American line the M4A3E8 Sherman is a bit of a disappointment, but the T20 and the Pershing are both very good tanks at their tier.

Basically the grind to tier-9 in the Russian medium line is a bit of a pain compared to the others, but the pay out at the end is just awesome!
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Sir Sirius wrote:
The Infidel wrote: Sometimes, I regret I didn't go the russian line. Those tanks seems to dish out a lot more damage...
Well, it depends on the tank. In general the Russian mediums aren't that great between the T-34-85 (excellent gun for its tier) and the T-54 (best medium tank overall). The T-43 is just a bit better protected version of the T-34-85, but that doesn't really make much of a difference since the level opposition you'll face goes up as well. The T-44 at tier-8 still uses the same gun, the 100 mm D10T (inadequate, again), as the T-34-85 and it has the most explosion happy ammo rack in the game.

By comparison the Panthers L/100 7,5 cm skewers pretty much anything you'll face and the Panther II is the best medium at tier-8. In the American line the M4A3E8 Sherman is a bit of a disappointment, but the T20 and the Pershing are both very good tanks at their tier.

Basically the grind to tier-9 in the Russian medium line is a bit of a pain compared to the others, but the pay out at the end is just awesome!
Thanks for the useful information, Sir Sirius. Much appreciated. I like to snipe, so I think the flirt with VK3002(db) won't last that long, although it seems I can have some fun with it, too:

Victory!
Battle: Himmelsdorf 7. oktober 2011 11:58:35
Vehicle: VK 3002 (DB)
Experience received: 2 678 (doubled for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 29 157
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Lavrinenko's Medal III Class, Defender, Sniper

I don't think I ever had 5 achievements at the same time before. :D
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I tootle around in the Panther a fair bit. I never really got on with the 3k2; the medium 88 seems to have a tendency for the shells to evapourate into the aether mid-flight. The Panther and I get on much better; it's a nippy little sniper. It's not and never will be a brawler (though I did take on an IS head to head and win), but it's a good support tank. When you're at the top of the pile, drive it like a german heavy and recieve win.

One feature that's not entirely obvious is that with it's semi-reasonable frontal armour, decent speed and colossal weight it's a suprisingly good battle ram against damaged tanks.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
rapidsquirrel
Youngling

Post by rapidsquirrel »

I swear the T82 with the 105mm feels like cheating. Something is funny about being one of the smallest tanks on the field yet having one of the largest guns. I'd complain about the paper thin armor, but people rarely seem to shoot back for some reason.