World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Simon_Jester »

White Haven, I'm planning to drive a Sherman. In a game where fucking Königstigers rule the roads. And I'm still playing the game even though in a nontrivial fraction of matches the graphics locks up and paralyzes me long enough for someone to get a killing shot in.

Do you really think I'm deterred by the prospect of getting the crap blown out of my tank a lot?

BAN-MOTHERFUCKIN-ZAAI!
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The M4 Sherman is actually one of the best Tier 5 tanks in the game, and it belongs to the best medium line in the game. I don't fear Tigers or even Konigstigers in my Sherman at all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What is it with foreigners attaching a random s to german words?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Thanas wrote:What is it with foreigners attaching a random s to german words?
They're using it as a plural. Königstigers = more than one Königstiger.

The non-plural form of his sentance would have been "In a game where the fucking Königstiger rules the roads."
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm sorry, Thanas. I forgot my German in the spirit of making a humorous quip.

And yes, I know, the Sherman is a perfectly satisfactory Tier 5 tank. The joke, I think, stands.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, I was speaking in the plural.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I actually one-shotted a king tiger once, but that was waaaaaaay back in the beta, driving the T-34-85. And god damn, but I will also be unable to take advantage of that stuff this weekend, even though I do have my beloved Sherman kitted out for combat!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The Infidel wrote:So, I got myself a KV-5 in hope of grinding some xp. It's working so-so so far... I tend to die either by arty fire or shots from the really big guns in the game. Oh well... At least I get to try a heavy tank. My goal is the Tiger II, but having only an Pz III/IV, it's a little while until I get there. Got about 35K of free xp + some tied up in different tanks, TD and arty. Maybe I will upgrade my StugIII or Grille before I get my VK3001 (then VK3002, because from there I can get the Panther and Tiger from the same tank).

Oh well, digress. The thing I wanted to ask you guys about is: How can you play one-to-one with your friends? I see it on youtube, but have no clue how to do it. Would love to, because it could give me and my friends the opportunity to explore the maps in peace and figure out how to best kick some metal ass by trying different stuff on each other.

This is the video I'm referring to.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Ah... "Team training" under the battle button... D'oh! :banghead:
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

I am finally starting the game. Username is Force_Lord_1992. Now how do I enter the SDN group?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The Sherman Jumbo is pure awesomeness. It uses the same gun as the Ez8 (76mm M1A2) but has an absurd amount of armor on it's front and a boatload of HP, so one can actually roll up and settle in for a shot or two before running off to grab cover. With the same gun and same speed as the T1 Heavy, but better armor, HP, agility, view range and traverse, it completely negates the T1 in every way. And better, it also leads to the M6, and does so with only just under 20k xp (counting the turret upgraded needed to open it up.)

I've got all four Shermans in my garage now, and it it glorious.

As an aside, seeing a platoon of three Chaffee's ripping into arty and unmoving heavies warms my heart. Finally, the means exist to make the camping sons of bitches bleed and scream.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The compressed textures are boss and I can play again!

Though is it just me, or has the SDN chatroom disappeared?

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Yeah, I think I was running the SDN room. I let my premium lapse to get some gold up for free xp generating (hooray for working for gold), so it likely hasn't been open because of that.

Anyway, the full thread of performance fixes, in case it didn't get posted: right here

And some neat little tidbits on Overlord's blog:
upcoming release schedule
next patch notes
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ah, I see. In other news: Easy 8, hooray!

*runs into his first match...full of Lowes*

Uh, yeah...

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That's how I felt when I took my M2 Medium into battle for the first time today.

In other news, I got hit by my first 90mm armor piercing shell today!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

What's your nick in the game, simons? We could roll and get skullfucked by megaheavy napkintanks together :D

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

At the moment, my connection and graphics is so unreliable that I crash out of a match as often as not, it seems. I'm reluctant to try and team up with anyone, since from their point of view my tank is liable to spend much or all of a battle just frozen in place accomplishing nothing, and/or driving blindly in a straight line over a cliff or into the midst of an enemy armored squadron.

That said:
Simon_EZ8
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ah,that would explain why Simon1Jester responded to my polite inquiry with an insult :P

In other news: I drove my Sherman and met a Tiger, head on, on a rail track between two trains...and lived through the encounter!

I didn't kill it, though, the Tiger's front armor is a bit much even for the 105mm howitzer.

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Okay, can we get a list of usernames of SDN players?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:Ah,that would explain why Simon1Jester responded to my polite inquiry with an insult :P
Yeah, sorry about that. I would have taken Simon_Jester there if it were available. Unfortunately, several other people out there on the Internet like to use the same SF character pseudonym as I picked in high school for my AOL screenname.

What's even more frustrating is that many of them seem to be lolbertarians, because The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a libertarian flagship novel, since the lunar revolt is basically carried out by near-anarchists, that being one of Heinlein's first "anarcho-libertarian frontier wet dream" stories.
I didn't kill it, though, the Tiger's front armor is a bit much even for the 105mm howitzer.
I want one of those... :D
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Simon_Jester wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. I would have taken Simon_Jester there if it were available. Unfortunately, several other people out there on the Internet like to use the same SF character pseudonym as I picked in high school for my AOL screenname.

What's even more frustrating is that many of them seem to be lolbertarians, because The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a libertarian flagship novel, since the lunar revolt is basically carried out by near-anarchists, that being one of Heinlein's first "anarcho-libertarian frontier wet dream" stories.
Ah, that tendency would explain why the guy flew off the handle, because my inquiry was "Comrade Pavylyvych?" :P
Simon_Jester wrote:
I want one of those... :D
It won't let you kill heavy tanks in a head-to-head fight, but it makes the Sherman punch far above its weight. When there's a heavy around to brawl with your target, you can do very well just tearing up the guy with HE shots to the turret, threads, engine etc.

...or one-hit lighter tanks and arty. That's really cool, too.It also works great for KVs with the fridge turret. It's the first medium tank in which I feel I can really take on KVs consistently. For some reason the T-34 I drove in beta didn't give me that confidence.

I only survived the Tiger encounter because I danced around, timing my moves and turns to the guy's reloads, while trying to lay it into his turret. He was a poor player, too, so he missed all three shots he managed to fire before my teammate flanked and destroyed him.

It was still awesome, though :D
Force Lord wrote:Okay, can we get a list of usernames of SDN players?
PeZookUS. The US is because I have another inactive account on the EU server, but there's nobody I can play with there :P

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:It won't let you kill heavy tanks in a head-to-head fight, but it makes the Sherman punch far above its weight...
PeZook, far and away the majority of fighting I've done has been with 37mm guns, aside from occasional flirtations with 45mm on Russian tanks and a few very fortuitous flank shots with a Panzerjäger I at Prokhorovka.

I don't want to punch above my weight. I just want to be able to punch.

I'm looking forward to the M3. It's gotten that bad. And I know I'm going for the howitzer in the M2.
...or one-hit lighter tanks and arty. That's really cool, too.It also works great for KVs with the fridge turret. It's the first medium tank in which I feel I can really take on KVs consistently.
I saw it happen- the same Sherman casually obliterated my M2 Medium, then proceeded to take out our team's only KV. Which, yes, had the refrigerator turret.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Simon_Jester wrote:
PeZook wrote:It won't let you kill heavy tanks in a head-to-head fight, but it makes the Sherman punch far above its weight...
PeZook, far and away the majority of fighting I've done has been with 37mm guns, aside from occasional flirtations with 45mm on Russian tanks and a few very fortuitous flank shots with a Panzerjäger I at Prokhorovka.

I don't want to punch above my weight. I just want to be able to punch.
I know that feeling, man. The game's damage model is a bit wonky, because it has both armor and hit points, which means that guns with high armor penetration often are really underwhelming, because it takes a zillion shots to actually kill anything.
Simon_Jester wrote:I'm looking forward to the M3. It's gotten that bad. And I know I'm going for the howitzer in the M2.
The howitzer-equipped M2 is a little speedy death demon. In the sort of matchups it's in, that gun will just squash 90% of your opponents, provided you can hit them. I had a few epic achievements with it.
Simon_Jester wrote:I saw it happen- the same Sherman casually obliterated my M2 Medium, then proceeded to take out our team's only KV. Which, yes, had the refrigerator turret.
The fridge turret is horrible when somebody flanks you, because of its massive profile and glacial turning speed. It fills up the reticle very, very nicely.

But for the love of Jeebus, if you fight a KV that has it, do not get in front of it :D

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Been playing my M4 Sherman (with the 105 of course) a lot this weekend to take advantage of the bonus. Of course, it doesn't help when I'm fighting Lowes and such all the time. I did out-duel a KV-1S though. My username is Hawkwings, look me up!
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I'm PhilosopherOfSorts, exactly like here, I platoon up with my roommate a lot of the time I'm on, but not always. I'm not the best platoon mate for someone who's not in the same room, anyway, because I'm usually so focused on what I'm doing that I forget to communicate.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

My handle in WoT is Zinegata.

Also, I would say that it's possible - but not easy - for a Sherman to kill a Tiger in a head to head fight. Flank shots on a Tiger using the 105mm does a ton of damage.