World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

haard
Padawan Learner

Re: World of Tanks

Post by haard »

Block wrote:I love the ShermanE8. Best tank so far.
You'll love the T20 then - low, fast, and with a gun that hurts. For me the T20 is everything the E8 is, just better (and half the profile).
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Marko Dash wrote:look on the the world of tanks forum for the low quality textures pack, it doesn't make the game any worse then the lowest settings but it bumped my frame rate up about 10-20 fps. the fps still drops to single digits during a lag spike, but i'm normally runing at a ping of 50 on the NA servers and only 120 on the test server, so not to much of those. the test server will sometimes hit 300-400 but it's rare.

the texture pack really helps when taking a hit, before, my fps would drop so much due to the hit that i couldn't return fire.

p.s. don't let the pack overwrite the garage files or you'll get a black background
Fascinating. My laptop's running it at 100-200 ms lag and 3-10 fps, usually more like 3 when there's actual fighting going on. It's just enough that I can actually play in a meaningful sense. I'll look into the low quality textures pack.
haard wrote:
Block wrote:I love the ShermanE8. Best tank so far.
You'll love the T20 then - low, fast, and with a gun that hurts. For me the T20 is everything the E8 is, just better (and half the profile).
American mediums are going to be the first tree I pursue seriously.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:47:27 AM
Vehicle: M26 Pershing
Experience received: 9,275 ()
Credits received: 62,740
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Confederate

Top Gun and Confederate; I shot damn near EVERY tank on the opposing team. Another 50k xp to the Patton and 65k xp to the T34 american heavy. Too bad I can't afford either so it will soon be time for lowe grind for cash, if I can be bothered.

Artillery continues to be the stupidest thing about this game. Premium runs out in a couple weeks and while I have the gold on-hand to buy another month, I doubt I will. I am certainly not buying any more gold from wargaming. Such a promising game concept, but I just hate having EVERYTHING revolve around how many SPG's are in a battle, how big they are, and whether or not the map allows you to kill them quickly. I mainly play higher tier matches, so that colors my perceptions, but tier 7 and 8 SPG's have ruined a tank game for me.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Broken wrote:Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:47:27 AM
Vehicle: M26 Pershing
Experience received: 9,275 ()
Credits received: 62,740
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Confederate

Top Gun and Confederate; I shot damn near EVERY tank on the opposing team. Another 50k xp to the Patton and 65k xp to the T34 american heavy. Too bad I can't afford either so it will soon be time for lowe grind for cash, if I can be bothered.

Artillery continues to be the stupidest thing about this game. Premium runs out in a couple weeks and while I have the gold on-hand to buy another month, I doubt I will. I am certainly not buying any more gold from wargaming. Such a promising game concept, but I just hate having EVERYTHING revolve around how many SPG's are in a battle, how big they are, and whether or not the map allows you to kill them quickly. I mainly play higher tier matches, so that colors my perceptions, but tier 7 and 8 SPG's have ruined a tank game for me.
The arty problem will be somewhat alleviated when the tier 5 lights go live. They're lightning fast, can take a hit or two, and pack enough firepower to make arty's life miserable if the mediums and heavies don't stop them.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Give me my fucking shell trails back, you useless Belarussian cockmittens!

Ahem. About that artillery... :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Teehee. I love the T29.

Just an example of how insane it is:

I was on Himmelsdof. The team has a collective fit of stupidity and the heavies start going up the hill. I rush up the "8" road and manage to reach their side. I hide behind the ramp leading to one of the elevated shooting platforms, showing only my turret. There are at least 6 enemy tanks in front of me - KVs, SU-152, KV-1S, and others.

I singlehandedly held off those six tanks, fired ten shots for ten hits, and suffered only minor damage (from HE) until the KV-1S had enough of me screwing over nearly half his team and finally flanked me, which resulted in my gang-bang death.

We still lost, but only because the other T29s in my team (who had reached the cap ahead of the enemy team). Had another fit of retardation and chased after a T20 rather than capping.

But goddamn, that was awesome.

That was followed by my first 5-kill match on the T29. El Haluf, and I rush up the north hill with a Sherman and one arty in support. I proceed to kill a Tiger, a KV-1S, and a bunch of smaller tanks before rolling up their line. Goddamn, it is nice to have shells bounce off your armor for once!
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Got the low quality textures, it helped a bit, mainly by keeping my frame rate up when I'm scoped in or getting shot. Still nowhere near 30 fps though, 6-9 most of the time, the highest I've seen is 15.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Zinegata wrote:Teehee. I love the T29.
The T29 is an amazing piece of machinery. The best T7 heavy out of the three, hands down.

As for arty, if shot trails were back in the game, it would change things back to the way they should be, where SPGs are more worried about killing each other (if they're smart) and it'd significantly decrease the 'lolarty' aspect of things now.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

How do we apply the low quality textures again? Download from the site and install... where?

EDIT: I don't know if that will actually fix the problems I've had with my graphics crashing on me, which is the real nuisance- I can fight tolerably well at 3 fps, but I can't deal with situations where the graphics lock up entirely, the program seizes up for a few seconds, and the black screen recovers to show me that I've charged right into the middle of a cluster of enemy tanks.

Still worth a try.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

You can lower the graphics quality in game in the menu screen,
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes, but that is very plainly not what people were talking about on the last page- they were talking about a special download of 'low quality' graphics textures.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

the Wot folder for me was in the C drive under games. the pack contains a 'res' file, again, let it overwrite what it wants except anything in the garage files. the low textures pack is actually slight better looking than the ingame ones at the lowest setting, but they are smaller files and as such load faster.

there was an 2011-2012 update schedule posted on the Wot forums recently. it has a few things in it that will help with low end PCs coming late this year and early next year.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It's a good thing someone mentioned that texture pack - after the recent bout of updates the game became unplayable for me.

I will try it out soonish. I am so close to the easy 8 it would be a shame to just dump the game :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

One thing that i have painfully learned is that Nature Abhors the M3 Lee.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Zor wrote:One thing that i have painfully learned is that Nature Abhors the M3 Lee.

Zor
Just hang back, wait for others to engage and be the target, then start shooting.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have a soft spot for Lees. And Matildas. But this is mostly based on my times seeing them at Aberdeen, not the game.

Their Matilda looks... insufficiently loved, what with the lack of the 2pdr and treads, and the 88mm hole through the turret. Very forlorn, for what was once a righteous trundling beast of the desert.

And something about the Lee just speaks to me of improvisational engineering- the tiny 37mm turret because we didn't have facilities to cast solid steel parts bigger than a railroad driving wheel, the riveted hull, the "Quick! Get a 75mm cannon onto a tank NOW!" sponson gun...

Again, a righteous trundling beast.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Lee is not that bad honestly. It's just stuck in the unfortunate position of being a Tier 4.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Zinegata wrote:The Lee is not that bad honestly. It's just stuck in the unfortunate position of being a Tier 4.
It's also a TD in a medium tank slot, minus the heavy gun.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

In a Lee, you want to get into a position where you're turning around a corner and only your sponson main gun is in view of the enemy. They can barely hit you, while you have no problem hitting them.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

6.7 is live. anyone want to pile into the sdn channel?
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I want to thank Marko for his links; the game is performing significantly better now. I still get the crashes, but when the game isn't crashing my frame rate is high enough that I can fight at full effectiveness.

The definition of "full effectiveness" needs some work still, and I do lose some battles when the graphics outright crash. But I'm killing an enemy tank on a fairly regular basis, and putting dings in others.

Of course, I'm still fighting in Tier 1 and 2 matches...
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

So, I got myself a KV-5 in hope of grinding some xp. It's working so-so so far... I tend to die either by arty fire or shots from the really big guns in the game. Oh well... At least I get to try a heavy tank. My goal is the Tiger II, but having only an Pz III/IV, it's a little while until I get there. Got about 35K of free xp + some tied up in different tanks, TD and arty. Maybe I will upgrade my StugIII or Grille before I get my VK3001 (then VK3002, because from there I can get the Panther and Tiger from the same tank).

Oh well, digress. The thing I wanted to ask you guys about is: How can you play one-to-one with your friends? I see it on youtube, but have no clue how to do it. Would love to, because it could give me and my friends the opportunity to explore the maps in peace and figure out how to best kick some metal ass by trying different stuff on each other.

This is the video I'm referring to.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Tankers! As part of this weekend's events to honor Creighton Abrams, you will have access to great specials in-game, all weekend long. The specials are themed around the renowned tank commander's exploits in World War II, with fantastic bonuses for fans of Sherman tanks.

From 4:30AM PDT (7:30AM EDT) on September 16, 2011 through September 18, 2011 all World of Tanks NA server players will have access to the following benefits:

Credit cost for the M4 Sherman and M4A3E8 will be reduced by 50%.
Credit income for the M4 Sherman and M4A3E8 will be increased by 50%.
Gold cost for the T14 and M22 Locust Premium tanks will be reduced by 50%.
Be sure to take advantage of these great specials while they last! And don't forget to follow us on Twitter to stay updated on all the latest World of Tanks news regarding the NA server.
The specials are themed around the renowned tank commander's exploits in World War II, with fantastic bonuses for fans of Sherman tanks.
fantastic bonuses for fans of Sherman tanks

Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hah. Whereas I wish I were in a position to take advantage of that, but I'm nowhere near there on the tech tree...

I'm almost tempted to take the chance to buy a T-14 since the gold cost would be pretty low, but in all honesty I'm not really ready for high level matches.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

T-14s, for their tier, are crunchy and taste good with lemonade. They apparently make semi-decent creds/free exp, but seriously, they're ridiculously easy to hurt. I might play a bit and actually pick up the E8 I researched a while back while the creds are discounted.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image