World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Mr. Coffee »

That's why I try to operate in a platoon as much as possible. At least then you've got two other guys that you know will go the same general direction as you. Three high tier mediums will rape faces if you do it right.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Well, thats it for the Test Server. Had a blast, but I need to get 55k xp on my M5 so I get an M24 when the patch hits. Actually tried out all four new lights, and I love the M24 above all of them. All the heavy campers and arty lovers on the NA server won't know what hit them once these things go live.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Okay, this is a random post, but if any of you complain about arty, think about how bad it must be in the Chinese server. There's a thread going that's just basically chinese server screenies of arty collections that fit better in WWI.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... na-server/
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Hah. I have a line specifically for these kinds of matches:

Artillery! PREPARE FOR GLORY! Move forward and engage the enemy in direct-fire mode!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Matches like that are when I giggle knowing I'm about to slaughtermcmurderfuckerize a bunch of arty pukes.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

'Oh no, a scout tank!' *starts driving crazy evasive patterns*
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

I love the ShermanE8. Best tank so far.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Really random post. Does anyone have any high res pics of maps? As in top down views?
I'm looking for the one which is a big town, tracks down one side, a big hill on the other. Big open square in the middle.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

That map is called Himmelsdorf, unfortunately, I can't be more helpful than that.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

barnest2 wrote:Really random post. Does anyone have any high res pics of maps? As in top down views?
I'm looking for the one which is a big town, tracks down one side, a big hill on the other. Big open square in the middle.
If Himmelsdorf is the one, then this is the biggest map I could find:

Plenty of maps on the official site.

Edit: Found one using Google. Too big to put here.
Hope this helps. Remember that Google is your friend. :wink:
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Bought a Wolverine, have yet to get any productive use out of it, 76 kinda sucks against the things I end up shooting at, can't mount the 105 yet. Right now it sort of feels heavy, with a slow turret traverse like my KV. Better treads and an engine upgrade should take care of some of that, I think.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

The Infidel wrote: Hope this helps. Remember that Google is your friend. :wink:
Thanks man. You're a big help.
Now to run my gaming group through it...
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Any idea about the hetzer 10.5 gun? It sure is capable to do a lot of damage on paper, but I feel like the shells are simply bouncing off anything harder than the the sheet of paper these numbers are written on.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

It's a derp gun, really. Don't bother with AP at all, just load it with HE and aim for things that look dentable. Treads, sides, anything. It's quite capable of rattling most things you'll come across.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yay! I have the Baneblade! (T29)

And holy shit man, this thing is good. Even in stock configuration (except the 90mm gun upgrade) it can look a T8 in the eye and not blink. The maneuverability isn't as bad as I was led to believe either, and I'd love to see how this thing will dance with better tracks.

I also really enjoy taking advantage of this tank's ability to hull-down and peer down slopes. It really ups the tank's survivability, which is a change from the mediums I've gotten used to.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So I decided to get an account.

Unfortunately, the laptop I'm running the game on is a cheap ol' thing, so the graphics crash a lot, but I can get into a match once in a while. Maybe some day I'll actually have the hang of it in some real sense...

[cheers as he blows up his first Loltraktor, throws away signal flags in favor of actual radio set]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Simon_Jester wrote:So I decided to get an account.

Unfortunately, the laptop I'm running the game on is a cheap ol' thing, so the graphics crash a lot, but I can get into a match once in a while. Maybe some day I'll actually have the hang of it in some real sense...

[cheers as he blows up his first Loltraktor, throws away signal flags in favor of actual radio set]
Heh, my Loltraktor was my best tier 1 tank.
Image[
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Xess wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:So I decided to get an account.

Heh, my Loltraktor was my best tier 1 tank.
Oh man, did I hate the Loltraktor the third time around. The T1 Cunningham is my hero there though.

Simon, if you want someone to play with, give me a shout; I'm BakerEasy in game; I can hop into some low-tier tanks. Makes things a bit easier when someone's got your back.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

Is anybody on the test server? There was a sdn channel but it didn't carry over to test2, and nobody ever seemed to be in it. I'm the same on there as on here.

Does anybody know a way to decrease the map loading time? The game runs decently (15-50 fps) once i'm in a game, but i'm normally the last to load in ( if at all) and always after the countdown has finished. i know my computer is getting on in years but i can run games more graphically intensive than this.
Part of it may be that the game only uses one core and two I've got are only 1.8 GHz, i also have only 1 gig of system ram backed up by a 1 gig graphics card. I don't think its related to the internet as I've got nearly 10x the required downstream speed, upstream speed sucks, but i believe that the map files are stored locally. May be wrong about that though.

i know i'm in need of more ram, but other then that i don't know what else to do. the cores are running at less than half of their maximum according to EVEREST, but i don't want to mess with the clock speed as i have no secondary cooling system.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

That's the exact opposite of my problem, Marko. My computer loads the maps quickly, but once I'm in I only get about 3-8 frames per second, unless I'm getting shot at, then it drops to one or less.

Power to the Peaceful

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

look on the the world of tanks forum for the low quality textures pack, it doesn't make the game any worse then the lowest settings but it bumped my frame rate up about 10-20 fps. the fps still drops to single digits during a lag spike, but i'm normally runing at a ping of 50 on the NA servers and only 120 on the test server, so not to much of those. the test server will sometimes hit 300-400 but it's rare.

the texture pack really helps when taking a hit, before, my fps would drop so much due to the hit that i couldn't return fire.

p.s. don't let the pack overwrite the garage files or you'll get a black background
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

There's a fix for that that doesn't involve better hardware? Sweet, I'll go find that, thanks. Yeah, when I start to get shot at I usually end up completely paralysed by the frame rate dropping to something like 1 frame every 5 seconds and I'm dead before I can do anything.

Power to the Peaceful

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Scottish Ninja wrote:Oh man, did I hate the Loltraktor the third time around. The T1 Cunningham is my hero there though.

Simon, if you want someone to play with, give me a shout; I'm BakerEasy in game; I can hop into some low-tier tanks. Makes things a bit easier when someone's got your back.
Some day, perhaps.

Of Tier 1, I'm finding I like the MS-1 the best. Unlike the Cunningham, the armor stops the occasional autocannon round and hungry mosquito, and the upgrade to a 45mm gun speaks with authority, at least in the kind of matches Tier 1 tanks get into. Haven't really tried the Leichttraktor much; I'm not too clear on how distinct it is from the Cunningham tactically.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The Loltraktor could lose a foot-race with a quadroplegic nun. I detested that tank so much that I played one game with it and dropped it like a ticking melta bomb.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I suspect it gets better with a better engine installed. The Cunningham has very little room for improvement in that respect; the Leichttraktor and MS-1 can nearly double their horsepower with the upgrades.