World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I love being a arty magnet... when I'm in my Valentine at least. Since it is such a low tier tank mostly I only have to face T2 and a little T3 arty. With a spall liner it is fun to see the shells hit me dead center and deal no damage. Totally makes up for the times my KV-3 is one shot when I can't even see the person who spotted for them.

I just don't have all that much time to play the game now though, so I have to take every bit of satisfaction out of the little things.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Zinegata wrote:
PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:Damn you, Tenth, I reseached the 122 before anything else, like you said, bought it, and then found out that I need the suspension upgrade to mount it. :)

I've gotten into a few decent matches now, and I'm not going to argue about the gun, it definitely needs a better one than it starts with. Other than that, it doesn't seem to bad, just a little on the slow side.
Whoops. Sorry, I think we kind of assumed you'd get suspension first as that's SOP for any tank.

Also, am seriously pondering my first gold purchase to convert 80K XP on my Sherman and buy the 105mm on the T-29 outright when I get it.

Suspension normaly is my first buy. Its not a big deal, already corrected, in fact. I found it funnier than I did annoying.

I don't mind getting killed by arty too much, because I'm so often on the delivering end of it cackling like a madman while molesting people with my Priest.

Got my M-41 researched, and I'm a little over halfway to being able to buy it, I'm much better with arty than with anything else, picked up a top gun in my Priest the other day, and I get confederates left and right with my sturmpanzer II.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Got my IS-4 and I'm a tad underwhelmed. I miss my maneuverability from the IS-3 and the US heavies. The BL-9 being improved in no way from in the IS-3 and not being able to mount my rammer doesn't help matters. Finally the stock turret seems a bit porous, so a lot of the heavy armor advantage is negated. I'm still getting a hang of the armor scheme, but with the nose shaped the way it is, angling the nose is really risky and things can penetrate it when it's square so it seems in large part to be about keeping the weak points moving and hoping they miss. Maybe with the better turret and gun I'll be enough more capable that I can make better use of my armor. My fully upgraded T34 is a much better tank though. Much. Shame about the grind though.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

I put the dumpster turret on my KV. Gah, that thing is ugly, I just wish I didn't need it for the good guns, oh well.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Anyone else find themselves earning far less gold recently?
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Gold? Nope, I get my 700 gold payout every week just like normal. Do you mean credits?
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Slacker wrote:Gold? Nope, I get my 700 gold payout every week just like normal. Do you mean credits?
Yes, misspoke.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

How do you earn gold? I thought you had to buy gold and could only earn silver.

I still love my Hetzer, although I now have a StugIII, I still play a lot with it. Played Steppes and scored 4 kills with one shot each. Damaged some, too. Then I played Malinokva with Grille and got 5 kills and one damaged. It's been a nice evening. :D
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The Infidel wrote:How do you earn gold? I thought you had to buy gold and could only earn silver.

Slog your way up to either a tier 10 heavy or tier 8 arty and join a clan. But if you drive anything else, good luck finding a clan that will take you.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Infidel wrote:How do you earn gold? I thought you had to buy gold and could only earn silver.
There are also contests and newsletter staff and wiki contributors get gold. A good T-54 driver has a shot of getting into cw too.
I still love my Hetzer, although I now have a StugIII, I still play a lot with it. Played Steppes and scored 4 kills with one shot each. Damaged some, too. Then I played Malinokva with Grille and got 5 kills and one damaged. It's been a nice evening. :D
Yeah, nights like that are nice. I still fondly remember when I went gonzo nuts in my Priest then my Lee then my Priest again. 6,7,8 kills.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Highlord Laan wrote:Slog your way up to either a tier 10 heavy or tier 8 arty and join a clan. But if you drive anything else, good luck finding a clan that will take you.
Ah, Since I'm currently at PzIII/IV, Grille and StugIII, that means I'm still going to use my credit card for a while.
xthetenth wrote:Yeah, nights like that are nice. I still fondly remember when I went gonzo nuts in my Priest then my Lee then my Priest again. 6,7,8 kills.
Yeah! I got so frustrated last week. Got killed in the beginning of 10-15 matches in a row. Most of the time, my team lost, too. It's really nice to be on top a few times in a row, too. 8)
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Infidel wrote:
Highlord Laan wrote:Slog your way up to either a tier 10 heavy or tier 8 arty and join a clan. But if you drive anything else, good luck finding a clan that will take you.
Ah, Since I'm currently at PzIII/IV, Grille and StugIII, that means I'm still going to use my credit card for a while.
Don't forget the other options, they do take actual work, but there is gold to be found.
xthetenth wrote:Yeah, nights like that are nice. I still fondly remember when I went gonzo nuts in my Priest then my Lee then my Priest again. 6,7,8 kills.
Yeah! I got so frustrated last week. Got killed in the beginning of 10-15 matches in a row. Most of the time, my team lost, too. It's really nice to be on top a few times in a row, too. 8)
Yeah, had a night where I was playing with coffee and we didn't get a double in the T-43/T20 combo for about 10-15 games just because of terrible luck. I wonder how long it would've taken to win.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I may have said it before, but I'm going to say it again now: the A-20 ought to be illegal. I'm not sure what could compete with it for Least Fun Tank.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Scottish Ninja wrote:I may have said it before, but I'm going to say it again now: the A-20 ought to be illegal. I'm not sure what could compete with it for Least Fun Tank.
Stock VK 3001 P. All the speed of a heavy, the size of a heavy, the gun of a light, and the armor of a medium. Stock T34. It's a T29! At tier 9! Stock Pershing. Cry as the T32 accelerates by you like you're standing still! At least the A-20 can move.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Funny, cause I have had the most fun int the Vk 3001's cousin the Vk 3601.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

spaceviking wrote:Funny, cause I have had the most fun int the Vk 3001's cousin the Vk 3601.
This may have something to do with it having armor and way smaller size.

Also, M41, Hummel and Su-14 in one game with a Pz 3/4? Awesome.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Highlord Laan wrote:

Slog your way up to either a tier 10 heavy or tier 8 arty and join a clan. But if you drive anything else, good luck finding a clan that will take you.

My clan is one of the top three in the game-Brothers Grim. We have a rather significant gold income.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Slacker wrote:
Highlord Laan wrote:

My clan is one of the top three in the game-Brothers Grim. We have a rather significant gold income.
So where do you hold in CW? I don't see them.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I am very close to getting the Banebla... I mean T-29. Just 2XP to go.

Had a horrid losing streak with the M6 though so gonna have to leave it at a 40% win record :/
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Zinegata wrote: Had a horrid losing streak with the M6 though so gonna have to leave it at a 40% win record :/
I had 48% when I sold my M6. The Match engine hated mine with passion. Bottom tier most of the time thanks to a very common premium tank named Loewe.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Man, since the last round of updates I can't really play without massive load times and stutter, but more than anything, after taking my Sherman out last time and getting in a match with a dozen Lowes on both sides...

Well, I kinda got annoyed :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I now have a Tiger P. Dropped in the second engine (researched from the 3001P), and dropped in the short 105mm after trying to hurt Tier 8's to 10's with the short 88mm. With that stubby HE cannon, I can at least hurt things and occasionally explode medium when I'm on the godzilla end of the roster.

I am really longing for the 88mm/L71, but I need the treads first.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master

Got the upgraded gun for my M-41, used it for two matches, then dismounted it and put the original gun back on. Almost 1200 credits a shot? That's more than twice as expensive as the normal gun, for only about 50% more damage, and since its not noticeably more accurate than the normal gun, I actually lost money using it, fuck all that noise.

In other news, I bought a SU-26, and its a fun little machine, once it has the 122 on it. I had a match on Lakeville yesterday where a pair of Lees managed to sneak through my team's lines, and got a nasty surprise when I ended them both at close range. That's what they get for underestimating me and my low-tier arty.

I'm also starting to like the T-40, with the long-barrel 76. Not much damage outside above its tier, but it has a withering rate of fire, and when its in a decent match it can be downright rude. I find it to be pretty map dependant, though, I tend to do much better with it on city maps.

Is there still a SDN channel? I've searched for it under SDN, but nothing comes up.

Power to the Peaceful

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Scottish Ninja wrote:I may have said it before, but I'm going to say it again now: the A-20 ought to be illegal. I'm not sure what could compete with it for Least Fun Tank.
Learn to play lights. I killed an SU-14 in mine with the 37mm automatic in beta. :P

Speaking of kills...

:mrgreen:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Rogue, you should join some our platoons sometime. We tend to run on Skype and we are also fond of driving hilarious American heavies. (Most of us have T29s to T34s)