Diablo 3 news. It's an MMO.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Diablo 3 news. It's an MMO.

Post by weemadando »

Well, I don't know what to make of this. The constant internet connection is an iffy thing for me. If it's a case of "it can time out for 30-60 seconds and then it stops the game" rather than "the moment there's no server connection WE ALT-F4 YOUR GODDAMN GAME. FUCK YOUR PROGRESS. FUCK YOUR SAVES." then I can deal with it.

The other two? I guess we'll see how it plays out. But I can't even play with mods in singleplayer? Boo.
Rock Paper Shotgun wrote:Diablo III: No Mods, Online-Only, Cash Trades
By Alec Meer on August 1st, 2011 at 10:07 am.

The morning brings a trio of horror-news about Diablo III. I’m outright bewildered about what Blizzard have done, and shuddering about the likely reaction in comments. I won’t muck around here, and instead shall just wade straight into the things that are probably going to end up being PC gaming’s biggest controversy of 2011.

1) The game requires a constant internet connection. It cannot be played offline.
2) Mods are “expressly prohibited.”
3) Items in the auction house are bought and sold for real-life money.

Uh-oh.

When my future children ask me “where were you when the war began, Daddy?” I’ll think of this day. And I’ll say “well, sweetling, I was drinking a cup of instant coffee, sat in my dressing gown in front of my PC, same as every morning. But on this particular morning, I don’t mind telling you, I sprayed that coffee all over my monitor and had to fight the urge to leave the internet for a least a month. For I knew what was coming, child. I knew. Every day since, I thank every god I can think of that we’re somehow still alive, that the Earth somehow still turns.”

All of news this via PC Gamer (who’ve been to see Blizzard recently), here, here and here.

In order, here’s Blizzard’s justifications:

1) “One of the things that we felt was really important was that if you did play offline, if we allowed for that experience, you’d start a character, you’d get him all the way to level 20 or level 30 or level 40 or what have you, and then at that point you might decide to want to venture onto Battle.net. But you’d have to start a character from scratch, because there’d be no way for us to guarantee no cheats were involved, if we let you play on the client and then take that character online.” Also, piracy.

2) “For a variety of gameplay and security reasons, we will not be supporting bots or mods in Diablo III, and they’ll be expressly prohibited by our terms of use for the game.”

3) “We think it’s really going to add a lot of depth to the game. If I have more money than time I can purchase items, or if I’m leet in the game I can get benefits out of it. The players really want it. This is something that we know people are going to do either way. We can provide them a really safe, awesome, fun experience, or they’ll find ways of doing it elsewhere.” Blizzard will take a small cut, but they’re not expecting to make too much of a profit out of it themselves. They also say there’ll be level caps on items, so you can’t immediately shortcut to a high-level sword with a level-1 character, not matter how rich you are, plus there will also be an additional auction house that uses in-game gold. So this element of the game can, at least, be dodged entirely.

As for the online requirement and the mod-blocking? That’s just desperately sad. The DRM was at least in StarCraft II, so it’s not too much of a shock, but given both Blizzard rich history of allowing user modification, and just how much it’s given to so many of their previous games, it’s hard to not feel let down by the decision to outright ban Diablo 3 modding. Let’s hope they have a change of heart on that point particularly.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Diablo 3 news. It's an MMO.

Post by Stark »

So they're trying to prevent the utter assrape that was Battle.net previously from happening again? Oh, darn!

At least they won't have to break any of this for the console version? :V
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I never played D2 via Battle.net. Wait. I think I did once. And then never again. It was always LANZ for me.

Honestly though, like I said, none of this particularly makes me care except for the "constant connection" bit. Which is all a matter of how they handle it.

That said, I think that Torchlight 2 might have just gone to preferred status for pointless timesink.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I don't really get the outrage in the article to be honest. It sounds like fatty nerd whinging over something which is basically standard in games nowadays.

Who's going to play Diablo 3 and not play with their mates, either co-op through the campaign or in the PVP mode?

The 'no mods' is slightly annoying, but then again how much of that is just talk? And the auction house idea sounds great, if you want to buy shit do it legitimately as opposed to going through dodgey 3rd party sites.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stofsk wrote:I don't really get the outrage in the article to be honest. It sounds like fatty nerd whinging over something which is basically standard in games nowadays.

Who's going to play Diablo 3 and not play with their mates, either co-op through the campaign or in the PVP mode?

The 'no mods' is slightly annoying, but then again how much of that is just talk? And the auction house idea sounds great, if you want to buy shit do it legitimately as opposed to going through dodgey 3rd party sites.
I'm pretty much in the meh camp. But I'm sure we'll get some hilarious outrage here.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

weemadando wrote:I never played D2 via Battle.net. Wait. I think I did once. And then never again. It was always LANZ for me.

Honestly though, like I said, none of this particularly makes me care except for the "constant connection" bit. Which is all a matter of how they handle it.

That said, I think that Torchlight 2 might have just gone to preferred status for pointless timesink.
Y'know, you will almost certainly be able to crack the shit out of it. And seriously, it's just part of their attempt to prevent hacked characters ruining everyone's shit. Oh... noes?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stark wrote:
weemadando wrote:I never played D2 via Battle.net. Wait. I think I did once. And then never again. It was always LANZ for me.

Y'know, you will almost certainly be able to crack the shit out of it.
SSSSSHHHHHHH.

Mods might hear you.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

When Sacred 2 came out, they had to do sort-of similar shit to make sure that characters could be transferred between local and online without I EDITED MY SAVE TO HAVE 192073982739812782375632498765249875623498756234985762348957632985764239857 HITPOINTS WOOO rubbish. To be honest, I welcome it, because MMOs are almost unique in PC multiplayer for the absence of cheating.

From a DRM perspective, everyone crying blue murder of Ubisoft games you can just crack and play offline whenever you want got a giant 'ha ha' from me.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

If I want to play SP, can I just make my own server and not let anyone else in?

Because most people online suck, and you guys aren't always around when I need you.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I double posted. :(
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Gandalf wrote:If I want to play SP, can I just make my own server and not let anyone else in?

Because most people online suck, and you guys aren't always around when I need you.
I'm prepared to speculate that it'll be similar to consoles; when you're playing SP, your character is saved online (so you can't fiddle with the files to cheat) but you're still SP-only

In multi I bet you'll have private servers and invites and that crap.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

i'll be there for you g-dawg

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

No LAN ? This is stupid.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Sarevok wrote:No LAN ? This is stupid.
QFT.

LAN:ing with friends was the only reason I played D1&2.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Stark wrote:Explain how it matters?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stofsk wrote:
Relevance is an issue if they do something fucking idiotic like only have servers in the US. STRAK and I had some horrid experiences with some earlier XBaaawks games where EA and everyone started implementing their third party logons etc and you got hosted through servers in the US or Europe. Which made gameplay suck.

However, Blizzard seem to be smart about this shit.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Yeah, five will buy you ten that they will do the exact same thing as they did for SC2 by having regions.

You could play with dudes in another region but lag will become more of an issue. But since most of the dudes I would want to play with are in my timezone I think we're safe.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Stark wrote:
Sarevok wrote:No LAN ? This is stupid.
Explain how it matters?
I don't live in an area with high speed internet. I can't play this game with multiplayer at all !
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Stofsk wrote:
In addition to cannot LAN with friends, also cannot play on train, cannot play on flight, cannot play on airports with shitty WLAN. Meh.

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

haard wrote:LAN:ing with friends was the only reason I played D1&2.
Explain how 'LANing with friends' is impossible under this system? PS, consoles have had no problems having 'play with my friends' working just fine 100% ok happy days without a big option on the menu that says 'LAN'. I thought PC gamers were supposed to be smart?
Sarevok wrote:I don't live in an area with high speed internet. I can't play this game with multiplayer at all !
You're either an idiot or can't read. What makes you think anything needs a 'high speed' connection? Why do you think whether or not you can play multi has any impact at all on SP?

I think Blizzard has done the maths and is well inside the idea that 'can't play on an airplane' won't materially impact their sales. I mean, it's entirely possible they may implement a 'I am a sadsack nobody with no friends who wants to play in the basement by myself' option for SP-only characters (ie, cheat all you want characters), but I think the tradeoff of less portability and actual multi that isn't horribly broken is a fair one. By the time it's ported to console (when/if) I certainly won't give a shit.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sounds like they're modeling some of this after World of Warcraft, which also requires internet connection and can't be played off-line. And why not? For all the criticism WoW has been quite successful for Blizzard, hasn't it? Likewise, no bots or mods allowed in WoW, oddly enough, that hasn't stopped 11 or 12 million people from playing. The auction house with real money is new, but meh, they've been dipping their toe in the water in regards to microtransactions already.

So...basically people are complaining that they're modeling aspects of Diablo 3 after arguably the most successful video game in history, certainly the most successful MMO game, which they also happen to own?

I get it, that for folks with limited or no internet access this sucks.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Steam refuses to connect if any PC on my home network has a torrent client or other heavy use applications running, without offline mode i'd be unable to properly play anything (unless I get a cracked version). If i need to use Steam online (to patch or activate) I kick everyone off Bittorent for a few hours. And even then sometimes I need to reset the modem for whatever reason.

If D3 is anything like that and requires a near perfect net connection rather then something more fault tolerant, that's not going to be useful to me.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Stark wrote:
haard wrote:LAN:ing with friends was the only reason I played D1&2.
Explain how 'LANing with friends' is impossible under this system? PS, consoles have had no problems having 'play with my friends' working just fine 100% ok happy days without a big option on the menu that says 'LAN'. I thought PC gamers were supposed to be smart?
Because the places where we can get together to do that is without fast internet, and experimentation shows that without fast internet a bunch of computers playing MP using a server somewhere else is painful, not fun.
I think Blizzard has done the maths and is well inside the idea that 'can't play on an airplane' won't materially impact their sales.
I understand that I'm not their core market, or market at all anymore considering the few hours of gaming I still manage. I'm sure they will make heaps of money from D3. Since I liked parts of the previous games, I'm disappointed that this game will not be for me. Thats all.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Speaking as someone playing games in the basement with no friends......... well, that's just it. I DON"T want to connect to the internet to play a simple game and stuff.

I'm playing the SP because I want an enjoyable, semi-interactive story. That's it. I don't want the hassle and fuss of connecting to Games to Windows Live. I don't want internet disconnection to interrupt my gameplay, and yes, I'm too cheap to play Angry birds.

Looks like its back to Dwarf fortress with me.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner