Xbox account help

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

russellb6666
Rabid Monkey

Xbox account help

Post by russellb6666 »

I use a credit card to pay for live and watching the debacle Sony is going through has me getting really paranoid.
So how do I get my card removed from their system? I've already tried doing it through Xbox.com, but for some reason it won't let me. Is my only recourse to call Microsoft and bug the shit out of them until my card is no longer in their system?
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Xbox account help

Post by adam_grif »

XBOX Live subscriptions get auto-renewed and taking your card off their system is notoriously difficult.

The only surefire way is to bludgeon your way through their telephone customer service until they finally switch it off. In certain regions you get options on the website to cancel your subscription, but most don't. You could also try this.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Pretty notorious.

Or you could just remove your credit card, and it'll say 'this will end your service, y/n'.

Sorry my pic was smaller... it is a tiny bit more accurate, though. The real problem is that removing payment options seems to immediately end your service, even if you are in month 1 of a 12 month subscription.

EDIT - since your motive is fraud, and I'm not sure what kind of bank would actually have such fraud cost you money, I don't really see the point. It's just a pain if you want to migrate cards around, or switch accounts, or whatever.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Stark wrote:Pretty notorious.
Yes, it is. If you've never heard of this sort of problem you must have a very limited reference pool.
Or you could just remove your credit card, and it'll say 'this will end your service, y/n'.
He already tried:
russellb6666 wrote:So how do I get my card removed from their system? I've already tried doing it through Xbox.com, but for some reason it won't let me.
Every region gets a different site to deal with, and each site individually changes from time to time. Late last year, Americans could cancel their service and remove their card with two clicks, then circa January it had reverted to not being able to cancel at all on the website. The general advice around the net is "never give your credit card info for XBL".
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So notorious a problem they tell you how to do it on the first account management screen? A giant made up image (ironically with the answer highlighted before the end, a pure piece of showmanship) doesn't prove anything. You'll need more than a stupid image and vague references to make me think that simply following the plain English instructions on the website won't resolve it.

Oh sorry, I'm neglecting the 'general advice around the internet', a truly authoritative source. I should have drawn more stupid shit on my image I guess.
russellb6666
Rabid Monkey

Post by russellb6666 »

Would it work If I canceled my gold membership and got my card removed then reinstated the gold account using one of those pay cards?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Don't see why not. You'll lose whatever time is left on your sub because they're idiots, but you can use prepaid cards if you want. I went through the rigamarole for my girlfriends account moving from a credit card to prepaid and it's sure stupid, but it's not impossible.

Being Australian I simply have no fear of credit card fraud. :)
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Stark wrote:So notorious a problem they tell you how to do it on the first account management screen?
Notorious - ill-famed: known widely and usually unfavorably; "a notorious gangster"; "the tenderloin district was notorious for vice"; "the infamous Benedict Arnold";

The removal of your CC details from XBL is notorious for being a piece of shit that is five hundred times more complicated than it should be - and it should be two clicks in your account settings.
A giant made up image (ironically with the answer highlighted before the end, a pure piece of showmanship) doesn't prove anything. You'll need more than a stupid image and vague references to make me think that simply following the plain English instructions on the website won't resolve it.
"Made up image"? It's a series of screencaps from users @ NeoGAF a few years back. This may confuse and amaze you, but your experience on XBL website circa two hours ago is not representative of every region and time throughout history. Indeed, "you can get it cancelled by calling them up" is present on that, and I said it in my post, and the OP was explicitly asking for how you can do it without calling customer service. Because everybody involved already knows that. Cancelling via website isn't difficult, it's actually impossible for many people.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So it's even out of date? Hilarious. I guess that makes your 'lol don't tell them in the first place' post really helpful, then? I guess 'notoriously difficult' means 'your mates complained about it years and years ago'. Have you any direct experience of evidence at all, beyond joke images, to contribute? Have you ever used a credit card on XBL?

Apparently in some regions the website lets you cancel, but it being impossible isn't some heinous crime; they freely tell you how to do it, and it isn't some 12-step rage-inducing process unless you're a moron. I guess '500 times more difficult than it should be' = 'clearly explained on website'. Sure, it's lame and annoying that they don't make it simpler, but they aren't hiding anything. The pizza kid knows my credit card number, too - WOOO WEEE WOOO!

The idea that based on the complaints of years ago the process is now simpler apparently doesn't occur to you, even though the 'remove card' option wasn't even THERE back when your unhelpful picture was made. Just keep repeating ' general advice around the net' instead of helping. Hell, you can just change your details to fake ones, even back in 2008 or whenever it was 'notorious', and it would lapse and you could laugh at them.