Is There A Thingy That Can Tell Me How Much Time I...

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

Is There A Thingy That Can Tell Me How Much Time I...

Post by Havok »

Have spent playing Madden 11?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Is There A Thingy That Can Tell Me How Much Time I...

Post by adam_grif »

As far as I'm aware, XBL/PSN do not keep track of time spent in game.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Dunno...stopwatch?

Or, get sequential blowjobs. On average, every successful blowjob while playing, for a thirty-something, should denote roughly a 20 minute period of time. You can extrapolate from there.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

360 voice will track days played, but I don't think it's done with "24 hours played = 1 day." I think it's "If it sees you playing X game in a 24 hour window = 1 day played."

As for /played like in most MMOs, I don't think there's a way to track that outside the game itself, like how Fallout 3 and Borderlands track character usage.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

What about making a simple timer program?
You could integrate it like a launcher with your games so that you get a list of PC games you want and just clicking it's name automatically activates the exe and starts the timer. The timer will than hum in the background waiting for you to end your game and stop it manually. It should not be that hard to program. All you would need is some sort of open source c++ compiler and 15 minutes on the net with a turtorial.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Purple wrote:What about making a simple timer program?
You could integrate it like a launcher with your games so that you get a list of PC games you want and just clicking it's name automatically activates the exe and starts the timer. The timer will than hum in the background waiting for you to end your game and stop it manually. It should not be that hard to program. All you would need is some sort of open source c++ compiler and 15 minutes on the net with a turtorial.
Holy shit. :roll:

Never mind that Madden 11 isn't even on the PC, you're suggesting he learn a programming language he doesn't give a shit about from scratch, to get a number that's not even relevant to the question.

Do you think that's going to be a practical solution to anybody but you?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

If it is so easy maybe Purple can write one for Havok. :)
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Zablorg wrote:Holy shit. :roll:

Never mind that Madden 11 isn't even on the PC, you're suggesting he learn a programming language he doesn't give a shit about from scratch, to get a number that's not even relevant to the question.

Do you think that's going to be a practical solution to anybody but you?
My apologies, I got carried away.
Sarevok wrote:If it is so easy maybe Purple can write one for Havok. :)
Sure, just tell me how to send over an exe file and I will see what I can do.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If you can write a program to tell him how long he already spent in a game, I'll be pretty impressed.

Hav, I guess you can get a lower limit by looking at 'games played', but that's not going to cover the hours at a time you've spent in season mode.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

The exe is done and working, I am testing it for bugs and writing the help file as we speak and will upload the whole thing tomorrow for anyone who is interested.

I mean, the whole thing is just a open file dialog that helps you locate the selected application, a button to open it and a timer.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Someone needs to relearn the concept of time. lol

I thought that the xbox, or somewhere on Live kept track of it. I guess not.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Havok wrote:Someone needs to relearn the concept of time. lol

I thought that the xbox, or somewhere on Live kept track of it. I guess not.
The only systems I'm aware of that do track it are Steam (don't use competing DD services so they probably do as well) and XFire. Obviously this doesn't help you track your Madden playtime. Even if we do find one that tracks XBL stats, it's unlikely to operate retroactively anyway.

Edit:

Hey wait, the Wii keeps track of all games you play each day and the time spent. You just have to buy all future versions for it!

:lol:
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Just one thing I have to note.

Because of the limitations of the programming language and my own skill it was impossible for me to make the program detect the closing of the chosen application automatically and as such the only way to stop the timer is to do so by hand. However,I trust that since you will want to check the time anyway this should not pose a great problem. All you have to do is hit the stop button once you close the game you are playing.

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Purple wrote:Just one thing I have to note.

Because of the limitations of the programming language and my own skill it was impossible for me to make the program detect the closing of the chosen application automatically and as such the only way to stop the timer is to do so by hand. However,I trust that since you will want to check the time anyway this should not pose a great problem. All you have to do is hit the stop button once you close the game you are playing.
Who are you talking to? Hav's not using a computer here.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

To Stark. I mean, I don't care if anyone uses it, especially since the original guy does not use a computer and hence can't. But Stark sort of challenged me to try and make the program. So I went and did it. About the last post, I was just way too tired to type my own so I just copy-pasted from my readme file.

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Purple wrote:To Stark. I mean, I don't care if anyone uses it, especially since the original guy does not use a computer and hence can't. But Stark sort of challenged me to try and make the program. So I went and did it. About the last post, I was just way too tired to type my own so I just copy-pasted from my readme file.
I think you missed a key part of his post, which was "how long he already spent in game". As in, you can't use a simple counting program to tell you how long you spent before you started counting.

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Honestly Purple is this about helping Havok or proving that you have 1337 coding skills ?

Because it seems like the latter to me.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
mithie
Redshirt

Post by mithie »

I dunno. You can get a chess clock, and punch it every time you start playing madden and punch it again every time you have to get up (food, bathroom, etc), and then just tally up the time at the end of every week.