World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Zinegata »

I finally have an IS-3. Testing it out.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So word on the GW Panther the Tier 6 German artillery

What is it?
A 150mm gun on a Panther body, starts with the better Hummel gun, get's a longer GW Panther only 150mm gun which is...

Does as much damage as the other 150mm but...

A. Reloads faster
B. Is more accurate
C. Has more traverse so less accuracy jumps because the gun has an extra 10* either side of the standard Hummel 30*'s so less turn the whole tank and losing lots of accuracy.

And most importantly from an artillery standpoint
It has an extra 12 shells over the Hummel
It's fast as hell, the amount of Toque the engine produces is better than a T-34. The GW Panther can book it on round start and get almost anywhere quickly while maintain a good 35 kph even going up hill unlike say a panzer IV weighed down with a L/70 that goes 12 kph uphill the GW Panther is a nimble little... well not it's like the size of the bigger Su guns but it makes up for that fact in being fast enough to get into position anywhere and be ready when spots come in.

From what I've heard the GW Tiger is a disappointment but the GW Panther from the Hummel is a massive step up.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Mr Bean wrote:From what I've heard the GW Tiger is a disappointment but the GW Panther from the Hummel is a massive step up.
Was talking to a GW Tiger player and even with a gun ram he was averages 2-3 rounds a minute and the shells cost damned near 1700 credits a pop. Upside is, it's hellaciously accurate and does enough damage it can one-hit tier 8s on a direct hit half the time. Saw one of this guy's shells one shot a VK45, but apparently it was a a combo of the shell damage and the shell critting and setting the VK45 on fire that did.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Saw one of those little interesting things which makes for lots of fun (or could in a tabletop wargame). Was on Komarin starting in the south, T9 to T5 fight. One of the IS4's on our side goes down the center at the start, hoping to open up the center with his might. Before anyone else can come to support him a suicide Leo and medium come blazing out of nowhere and block the bridge leaving our best tank stuck without help going mono e mono with another IS4. A table top wargame might have made a scenario out of this in trying to reinforce the IS4 before he can be wiped out, but no it was more of a normal game camping until the end.

ed: of course it was fun going mono e mono with a KV3 at point blank range and winning in a SU-5. (note: I hate the SU-5 with a passion, but I hate the Priest almost as much.)
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Is there any SDN unit one can join? :D Also, I am gravely dissappointed by the lack of German audio in the "German" version of the game. And finally, Russian version players got an M3 Stuart for New Year! Heheh. It's so fast, but so ... crap. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:Is there any SDN unit one can join? :D Also, I am gravely dissappointed by the lack of German audio in the "German" version of the game. And finally, Russian version players got an M3 Stuart for New Year! Heheh. It's so fast, but so ... crap. :lol:
SDN unit is sdn in the search field

If you want speed get a T2, the America Tier 2 elite tank it's not that expensive gold wise and in exchange you get the fastest tank in the game currently. It's top speed is identical to the A-20's 72 kph but it's Torque makes it much faster than the A-20 since it hits 72kph five seconds quicker than the A-20 and stays at 72 kph going up most hills. It "slows down" to 60 kph going up the more brutal hills and 55 kph on the worst hills. Combined with it's fast firing 20mm with infinite ammo (1200 rounds fires 5 rounds at a time, I'm pretty sure you can't fire through all 1200 rounds in less than fifteen minutes even if you never stop firing. It's ammo and repair costs are non-existent and because it's tier matchup's are so low the only tanks you can't hurt is the Panzer III and even there you can hurt it, just can't kill it in under 1 minute of continuously firing. All the lower T1 to T3 tanks die in under ten seconds from your 20mm autocannon.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Excellent. Although I'm aiming for the Maus, I'll consider this for farming purposes and for fun, obviously. Too bad the game auction isn't there, I'm going to bloody buy those KV-220s and A-32s! :( :D
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

More T2 goodness
Fyi I ran a tier 2~3 match today with 1200 rounds on roundstart with a 9 minute match with 6 kills to my credit and no damage taken. Firing non stop I used 825 rounds in the nine minute match. I fired 9 out of ten of those rounds at nothing firing nonstop.

Xp won? 1834
17900 credits won
910 spent on new ammo
Its a fun money making machine that costs less than 1000 to reload and less than 1500 to repair and makes 5K with at least one spot before dieing.

Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Well, I have finally joined the ranks of the superheavy tanks with my brand-new VK4502 Ausf B. Thanks to already having a Ferdinand, a Tiger II, and a pile of gold/free xp I managed to upgrade everything except the last 12.8cm gun which should only take me a few good matches. I haven't had time to do much with it, but already found it bounces all kinds of rounds that would damage the Tiger II. Not sure what to concentrate on next, maybe the Panther II grind but softwipe may take care of that first. Especially since I'm kinda broke now with buying the Ausf B and not selling the Tiger II.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

IS-3 is okay in terms of armor protection, but definitely needs the better 122mm gun. I get sent against much bigger things in an IS-3.

The easier enemies and decent maneuverability makes the IS-2 (122mm) a bit better IMHO if you don't have the best IS-3 gun.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Having top guns is a must have for all tanks. With non-top guns, most of them get outclassed in 50% of the matches. For example, the KV is a good tank with the 107mm, because it can penetrate the IS, ISU-152 and Tiger from the side, which the stock gun fails to do. So to be more than an observer in matches where the KV isn't a top tank, you need the 107mm. Same applies to virtually every other tank except the German tier II, PzKpfw II. It's just crap even with top components.

Assalti Frontali
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Teamed up with Gaius and CaptAdder earlier to put foot to ass with our mediums. Did a pretty fair showing of it, too. Came out a lot more used to (and getting a lot more enjoyment out of) playing my Ez8. Also surprised Gaius a bit with how lethal an M7 can be, I think. :P

All in all, a fun night. I'm definitely keeping my M7 though. She's already Elite, and such a blast to play. I'm hoping to get a custom skin made for it. Dark gray with dents, spall marks, and gilt trim, with polished brass Imperial aquilla's on the front and turret sides. :D
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I've been experimenting a more aggressive style with my Easy 8, and it's paying off. Had one match where I had four kills by dint of aggressive flanking.

It's nice how the 76mm's natural accuracy and murderous rate of fire makes even auto-aiming feasible while running around like crazy to a new sniping spot.
Last edited by Zinegata on 2011-01-07 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

With as camp happy as people are, getting a fast flank in can pay off big time. The only problem is getting enough of the scared-for-their-paint-jobs pussies to break cover and follow you in to make it pay off.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The 76mm is indeed murder, especially the A2 model with its insane refire rate. It seems to be hopelessly ineffective against the 3002 DB, though -- I fired 6 or 7 shots at very short range and didn't get a single penetrating hit. Wish my Panther bounced shots like that.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:The 76mm is indeed murder, especially the A2 model with its insane refire rate. It seems to be hopelessly ineffective against the 3002 DB, though -- I fired 6 or 7 shots at very short range and didn't get a single penetrating hit. Wish my Panther bounced shots like that.
Yeah, I noticed that with the 3002 DB too. I tend to go for side shots when facing those guys, albeit that often leads to detracks rather than damages.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

The DB is the bounciest thing out there short of the turret on the IS line. The Ausf B is taking some getting used to with the unusual turret placement, but I have the 12.8 now and its nice to be able to cleanly penetrate almost anything out there. But the balancer keeps doing stupid things again. Just the other day I was in a battle that had 3 tier 9/10 tanks on including my Ausf B and 7 tier 9/10's on the other side. Needless to say, it was not pretty with 3 T-54's to lead their flank attacks.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, the balance has been weird recently. Several times I had Traktors and MS-1s in matches with IS-3s.

I always ask my team to spare the little ones, if they can. But even though the ammo costs more than the tank they're killing my teammates still keep killing them ;_;
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

Zinegata wrote:Yeah, the balance has been weird recently. Several times I had Traktors and MS-1s in matches with IS-3s.

I always ask my team to spare the little ones, if they can. But even though the ammo costs more than the tank they're killing my teammates still keep killing them ;_;
I understand this attitude since I tend to kill everything that comes within range whether it's a PzII or IS-3. Mind you at anything short of spotting/detection range I will spare the little ones. But at a range where they can spot me and tell their entire team where I am, I do take them out because I prefer to keep my position hidden from the enemy whenever possible. Even if it cant even scratch your paint, that MS-1 can still tell eager SPG's and heavies where to find a tasty Tiger II to grab for snacks.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

Whenever I see a little Tier 1 tank on a map I always declare they must not be shot, but can only be killed by ramming! Sadly, it seems not everyone is willing to listen.

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Okay, is it just me, or is the Panzer Jaeger I the shit?

So far my PzJgr is on 20 wins out of 25, with 52 kills total. This almost feels like cheating.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Back when Tier 1 and 2 tanks were in their own league, the PanzerJäger was by far my favourite tank in the game due to how much it dominated everything else on the map, so you're not alone.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The Panzerjaeger has the PzIII's long 50mm gun, against T1/T2 junk... which is sort of like using AMRAAMs against Bf-109s.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah. With my PzJgr I can shoot and kill even Mk IIIs
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The server split has finally happened. Also they are offering a five times experience bonus for the first victory round each day for the next couple of days.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton