A Good Space Based RPG For The 360?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Re: A Good Space Based RPG For The 360?

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

General Zod wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote: Please note that Havok's requirements for storyline is "it doesn't have to be great."
Do I have to explicitly say that "the game is a boring piece of shit" in order to get you to not twist my words? Where the fuck did I say anything about the story for that matter?
That's a matter of opinion. Some people enjoy it; and you didn't say a fucking thing about the story; Havok did, in the OP.
I won't say STO is a great game by any stretch, but it does have (most of) what he's looking for:

>snip drivel<
The key thing he's looking for that it doesn't have is being good. Frankly I wouldn't recommend STO to anyone.
Who the fuck are you to call drivel: I was illustrating, point-by-point, the ways in which STO meets or comes close to Havok's original requirements.

And I would, if only to give it a try before deciding you don't like it. Have you played it, or are you regurgitating second or thirdhand accounts of the game which may be months old?

Without knowing someone's definitions of what makes a good game, all you do is project your own desires onto them. When I made a thread asking about space-based games on the PC, I said, frontpage, "don't even say EvE, because I hate it." Yet, people brought up EvE, and insisted it was good, even going to the lengths of haranguing at me about how my definitions of "good" and "roleplaying" were wrong.

Frankly that's bullshit. Havok stated, first post, what he was looking for, and I pointed out the ways in which the closest game I can think of to his dream game met and failed to meet his requirements.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: That's a matter of opinion. Some people enjoy it; and you didn't say a fucking thing about the story; Havok did, in the OP.
Of course I didn't say anything about the story you retard. The gameplay was dull, tedious and no different than any other half dozen cookie-cutter MMOs. Why would anyone recommend a game solely on the story?
Who the fuck are you to call drivel: I was illustrating, point-by-point, the ways in which STO meets or comes close to Havok's original requirements.

And I would, if only to give it a try before deciding you don't like it. Have you played it, or are you regurgitating second or thirdhand accounts of the game which may be months old?
I have played it jackass, which is why I'm saying it's shit. Frankly a page and a half deep-throating STO that doesn't provide any real substance and could be condensed into a paragraph or two is drivel.
Without knowing someone's definitions of what makes a good game, all you do is project your own desires onto them. When I made a thread asking about space-based games on the PC, I said, frontpage, "don't even say EvE, because I hate it." Yet, people brought up EvE, and insisted it was good, even going to the lengths of haranguing at me about how my definitions of "good" and "roleplaying" were wrong.

Frankly that's bullshit. Havok stated, first post, what he was looking for, and I pointed out the ways in which the closest game I can think of to his dream game met and failed to meet his requirements.
Except I actually have a pretty good idea of what Hav considers good. He also stated he was looking for something on the 360, which makes your page and a half rant about STO a pointless tangent.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

General Zod wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote: That's a matter of opinion. Some people enjoy it; and you didn't say a fucking thing about the story; Havok did, in the OP.
Of course I didn't say anything about the story you retard. The gameplay was dull, tedious and no different than any other half dozen cookie-cutter MMOs. Why would anyone recommend a game solely on the story?
I would, if a game had a story I liked and found engaging.

That said, I dispute your accusation of dull gameplay. While I admit that the ground portions of the game feel similar to other MMORPGs, in no other MMORPG am I aware of is the player in command of a full squad of NPC characters to back up his own character. The vast majority of the game's ground missions can in fact be soloed with little trouble; this is very different from other MMORPGs.

And space is wholly different. Unlike EvE Online, helming your ship is much more intuitive and easy; you don't navigate primarily by menu but by pointing the ship where you want to go and saying "engage." Well, hitting the throttle, anyway. You can steer with WASD and everything; and that steering is paramount, as positioning is paramount.

Frankly, the space gameplay has more akin to the Starfleet Command games than it does with any other MMORPG, and it's not nearly as tedious as you make it out to be.

I have played it jackass, which is why I'm saying it's shit. Frankly a page and a half deep-throating STO that doesn't provide any real substance and could be condensed into a paragraph or two is drivel.
Okay, it's not for you.

We have two conflicting opinions: you say STO is shit, I say it's not great but it is a fun little time-waster and it seems to meet many of Havok's stated requirements.

However, I've actually contributed the reasons why it meets or comes close to his requirements, as well as pointing out where it fails his requirements. You are doing nothing more than regurgitating the same vague reasons for disliking it that could be applied to any MMORPG from World of Warcrack to Ultima Online.

Except I actually have a pretty good idea of what Hav considers good. He also stated he was looking for something on the 360, which makes your page and a half rant about STO a pointless tangent.
I very specifically pointed out that it failed his xBawx 360 requirement, but pointed out that, despite not being on his console of choice, it to a large degree meets the requirements he desires.

If you say that you want an American-built car and then go on to cite a list of specifications that are closely met by, say, a Lotus, someone ought to point that out to you that what you're looking for has been made and it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's worth looking into nontheless.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

And again, fucktard8685 doesn't grasp that offering a tangential advertisement is not what even Hav asked. So again, your illiteracy is not my problem. Saddest part? A spambot would've filled Hav's topic with Star Ocean, Mass Effect and other shit from the Microsoft XBox 360 thus making it more on topic then you.

So are you going to wrap this up, or are we going to have another of your screeds shoved elsewhere?
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Star Ocean!

That was on 360, wasn't it? I didn't hear anything good about it, though.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Stark wrote:Yeah. It looks kind of fucked up, though. Hav, I will rent it for you! :D
Star Ocean was boring as shit. It has a few decent ideas for the combat but the vast majority of what I played involved walking around through wide empty spaces and mostly samey environments.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Looking at it its Japanese, which means there probably isn't any dressups (cause everyone has a single character design). That could be a killer.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Ghost Rider wrote:And again, fucktard8685 doesn't grasp that offering a tangential advertisement is not what even Hav asked. So again, your illiteracy is not my problem. Saddest part? A spambot would've filled Hav's topic with Star Ocean, Mass Effect and other shit from the Microsoft XBox 360 thus making it more on topic then you.

So are you going to wrap this up, or are we going to have another of your screeds shoved elsewhere?
So, are you going to issue the same threat to everyone who suggested Mass Effect, which Havok specifically called out as being his hatred cake, or The Old Republic, which is equally off-topic by your definition?

He asked for an RPG, and outlined his requirements. I explained the only thing that came close, and specifically called it out as being not on the platform of his request, but as maybe being worth a look anyway. It's not my fault someone felt the need to start bashing my suggestion over a matter of opinion, which necessitated a response.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

He doesn't hate ME, you fucking moron, he's already played both to death. Jesus christ.

When one of your posts is as long as the rest fo the thread, you're doing it wrong.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:So, are you going to issue the same threat to everyone who suggested Mass Effect, which Havok specifically called out as being his hatred cake, or The Old Republic, which is equally off-topic by your definition?
No, you illiterate dumbass. They at least knew he'd likely NOT be able to play TOR MMO, and no one but you actually went into page long screamings about a platform he didn't ask about. Yes, you.

But like most things that pertain to something other then your basement dwelling existence, that flew past your tiny little skull.
He asked for an RPG, and outlined his requirements. I explained the only thing that came close, and specifically called it out as being not on the platform of his request, but as maybe being worth a look anyway. It's not my fault someone felt the need to start bashing my suggestion over a matter of opinion, which necessitated a response.
Thus you didn't even fucking read the title. Your screed was nothing but a sales pitch over something you enjoyed, not a recommendation for someone asking for something on the 360. I don't give a fuck about your opinion, but you can at least keep to the same fucking platform that the man asked suggestions for. You have demonstrated that clearly a spambot has more cognitive recognition of the material desired.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Star Ocean!

That was on 360, wasn't it? I didn't hear anything good about it, though.
Blech, at best. The pacing was poor and the combat system could have used a better overhaul. Music was mundane, voice acting was bad PS2 days, and the graphics were the highlight; except nothing you haven't seen better.

The worst is the ending which resolves little and lasts for more then an hour.

ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Ghost Rider wrote:No, you illiterate dumbass. They at least knew he'd likely NOT be able to play TOR MMO, and no one but you actually went into page long screamings about a platform he didn't ask about. Yes, you.
Screamings? No, I calmly explained the two RPGs that most closely fit his criteron, despite not being on the platform he requested. I did this because, as he is posting here, chances are he has a computer which is at least capable of supporting SWG in all of it's ancient glory, if not STO.

Also, if you're going to insult someone, at least use insults which are accurate. I am clearly not illiterate, or you would have nothing at all to get upset about as I would be unable to make any post at all. Dumbass.
Thus you didn't even fucking read the title. Your screed was nothing but a sales pitch over something you enjoyed, not a recommendation for someone asking for something on the 360. I don't give a fuck about your opinion, but you can at least keep to the same fucking platform that the man asked suggestions for. You have demonstrated that clearly a spambot has more cognitive recognition of the material desired.
To be a sales pitch, I'd have to be receiving something of value if he did, in fact, take up one of my offerings. As I am in no way connected with Sony Online Entertainment or Cryptic Studios, that would be impossible.

And a spambot clearly would not have more cognitive recognition of the material desired, as it would key off the words "XBox" and "RPG" and start serving up every RPG on XBox and XBox 360 it could think of, whereas I actually analyzed the details he specifically called out as desirable to him, and offered up the closest substitutes I could think of, whilst being immediately forthright about the fact that they're not on the desired platform.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Christ Shadow, shut up. Do you really think I don't know about STO and TOR? There is a reason I asked for 360 games. Can you figure it out?

Also, the rest of you guys depress me. It is balls that there is nothing out there. And I will say this again, we need to start a fucking videogame company.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

It's funny that the video game industry whinges and moans about "poor sales" and "declining market" when it's pretty clear their are huge sectors of the market that are simply untapped.

But hey, most developers have no sense of business and most publishers have no sense of games.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The Space pew pew genre is a bit smaller than the hooah AMERICA shooter market or even the fantasy choppo market.

I'd buy the Genesis version of Starflight on XBLA for sure. :V
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

It'd be an economic market to hit though, if developers weren't pushed to make million-dollar blockbusters every time. I mean publishers employ small armies of developers. While 2 guys in a garage can make a game with more content (a horribly disorganized and broken game) than most mainstream titles.
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Just licencing existing space games would work fine; Hav would buy Starflight with a non-terrible UI or Starcon2 with Live multi. I honestly don't think these kind of games need to compete with stuff like Mass Effect at all.

And man, I would be all over COUNTDOWN TO TUESDAY! 8)
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

General Zod wrote:Of course I didn't say anything about the story you retard. The gameplay was dull, tedious and no different than any other half dozen cookie-cutter MMOs. Why would anyone recommend a game solely on the story?
Now hold on a minute, that's a little unfair.

STO is far more dull and tedious than cookie-cutter MMOs:
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Wait wait wait! I just realised something.

KINECT STARFLIGHT! Take the Megadrive version and maybe spruce up the graphics, but replace menus with voice commands and ATV/combat with a virtual steering wheel. Instant sales! Talk to the spemin and say 'Navigator, raise shields' when they get uppity! Pew pewing animals for money just got a lot more visceral!

Also, better than Bridge Commander. :)
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Kinect Sewer Shark, dawg!
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Havork your screwed.

There is the Mass Effect Games, Star Ocean or as Shadow pointed out look at other platforms.

The only other 360 Sci-Fi RPG I know of is Zoids assault and that is NOT what you wanted.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

General Schatten wrote:
General Zod wrote:Of course I didn't say anything about the story you retard. The gameplay was dull, tedious and no different than any other half dozen cookie-cutter MMOs. Why would anyone recommend a game solely on the story?
Now hold on a minute, that's a little unfair.

STO is far more dull and tedious than cookie-cutter MMOs:
So, year-old footage of a tutorial mission, while the game was still in beta, is your rebuttal?

Let's take this to the STO thread.