A Good Space Based RPG For The 360?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

A Good Space Based RPG For The 360?

Post by Havok »

Does one exist?

If you say Mass Effect (or Mass Effect 2), I am going to mark you down for a punch in the face if we ever meet.

I'm looking for lots of quests, deep back story, lots of leveling as well as skills and such.

I like playing dress up, so the more costumes/armor/gear the better.

The story doesn't have to be great, but it should be presented well.

Spaceships are obviously a must. Customization of the ships are a huge plus.

I'm not big into videogames outside of actually playing them, and even then it is a small handful so any info would be appreciated.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: A Good Space Based RPG For The 360?

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The only thing that comes to mind are the KotORs, but I think they were on the original Xbox (I played them on PC, so I never really followed their console releases).

Unfortunately, I think a lot of us are just waiting for the Old Republic and ME3 when it comes to space RPG action. You have to go old school if you don't want to wait.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Is not the Old Republic going to be a MMO ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Sarevok wrote:Is not the Old Republic going to be a MMO ?
Playing MMOs on a console, yes, that's a good one.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

TOR is PC only, unless you really want to go through the hassle of getting your 360 to run windows and then... I don't even know how you're going to play it with controller pad.
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Playing MMOs on a console, yes, that's a good one.
Don't laugh, fucking Squenix is going to try it and release the abortion that is FFXIV (Over 600 thousand copies sold, lol) on the PS3 and SOE is trying the same thing with DCU Online.
Last edited by Ritterin Sophia on 2010-12-28 05:36am, edited 1 time in total.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's no reason MMOs can't work on a console. It's just a UI issue (and arguably a network penetration issue).
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

General Schatten wrote: Don't laugh, fucking Squenix is going to try it and release the abortion that is FFXIV (Over 600 thousand copies sold, lol) on the PS3 and SOE is trying the same thing with DCU Online.
FFXIV PS3 version was axed

And as for Havok question I'm sorry but the only answer to your IS Mass Effect, unless you count Star Ocean: The Last Hope as a "space" RPG then Mass effect is the only game in town. There are less than thirty RPG's on the Xbox 360 and once you cut out the multiples (IE Oblivion counts for 3 due to expansions) there are exactly 19 RPG's on the Xbox 360 only two are Sci-fi based, three more modern day and the rest are fantasy based. Again only Mass Effect and Star Ocean: The Last Hope are Sci-Fi based but Star Ocean has always been "your an alien, look a primitive planet, best if we blend in and leave our ray guns behind for swords so we don't violate the Prime Directive"

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Havok wrote:Does one exist?
Debateable given that they are more or less D&D with guns instead of swords, and only applicable to Mass Effect given most of the other games make swords hundreds of times better then any mere gun.
If you say Mass Effect (or Mass Effect 2), I am going to mark you down for a punch in the face if we ever meet.
Sadly, it's pretty much unique in said field.

Sure there are some ancient shit when dinosaurs ruled the planet but they look it too and nothing for the 360. Since your title says *good*, I will not recommend on Star Ocean. The only space ideas it has is that instead of poofy skirts on men and women, then have space age ceramics on men and women.
I'm looking for lots of quests, deep back story, lots of leveling as well as skills and such.
Sadly few RPGs have that.
I like playing dress up, so the more costumes/armor/gear the better.
Gone the way of Cheetos at a D&D convention.
The story doesn't have to be great, but it should be presented well.
Something loads are still trying to do
Spaceships are obviously a must. Customization of the ships are a huge plus.
Hell, the few Space RPGs in gaming have almost no ships except as hubs. Customization so far only exists in the realm of strategy or MMO.
I'm not big into videogames outside of actually playing them, and even then it is a small handful so any info would be appreciated.
Sorry to say bud, but out of luck for the most part. I understand not wanting Mass Effect as the go to obvious choice but really one of the reasons it had and has and will get so much attention and praise is that it is an average RPG but with space clothing and tries to make some use of it beyond lightsaber/space sword. If there were more, it wouldn't have garnered nearly as much cooing.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Mr Bean wrote:Star Ocean: The Last Hope are Sci-Fi based but Star Ocean has always been "your an alien, look a primitive planet, best if we blend in and leave our ray guns behind for swords so we don't violate the Prime Directive"
The Last Hope has less of that compared to earlier games in the series. Also they just seem to use swords and so on because that is the done thing in space.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Umm...what about Dark Star 1? I think that just came out for 360 this past year (Was an old PC game) and It's RPG-y(It's more simmy but it does have RPG elements). I mean you can customize your ship and crap, there's a story, and it's...there.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

General Schatten wrote:
TOR is PC only, unless you really want to go through the hassle of getting your 360 to run windows and then... I don't even know how you're going to play it with controller pad.
Don't laugh, fucking Squenix is going to try it and release the abortion that is FFXIV (Over 600 thousand copies sold, lol) on the PS3 and SOE is trying the same thing with DCU Online.
You realize FFXI has been run on consoles for years now right?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Star Ocean: The Last Hope are Sci-Fi based but Star Ocean has always been "your an alien, look a primitive planet, best if we blend in and leave our ray guns behind for swords so we don't violate the Prime Directive"
The Last Hope has less of that compared to earlier games in the series. Also they just seem to use swords and so on because that is the done thing in space.
Whatsisface uses a sword because he's a weeaboo and likes them better. Also, hilariously guns don't work, the opening cutscene says so, except when they're used by Big Cyborg Dude.

The game Havok is looking for isn't on the 360. The closest thing to it that might exist in the real world, is probably Infinite Space, which is a space RPG with masses of customisation of spaceships, of which there are hordes to choose from. It seems reasonably good so far as I've played it (which admittedly is the noob zone so far, because of Valkyria Chronicles 2), but it doesn't have any dress up, because the ships are the actual characters and your crew members are more like accessories you equip to give you stat boosts. It's also a DS game. If you must have dress up at any costs, Dragon Quest IX is also there on the DS, or there's Phantasy Star Portable 2 on the PSP (Which is a space RPG with laser swords and whatnot, and is basically Japanese Diablo).
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

General Zod wrote:You realize FFXI has been run on consoles for years now right?
And? I didn't say you couldn't do it. It's just for a port it's going to be awkward if you don't have a mouse and keyboard for your console. In the latter, well you're going to have to fuck around with your 360's software to get it to run TOR, which is a hassle since the game is purposefully design to have low hardware requirements so you can run it on just about anything.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

General Schatten wrote:
General Zod wrote:You realize FFXI has been run on consoles for years now right?
You realize FFXIV was a shitty game that no one wanted and TOR is not being ported to PC, right? I didn't say you can't do it, just that it's going to be awkward in the former case and a pain in the ass in the latter.
He was talking about FFXI not FFXIV

As far as consoles go, nothings stopping WoW from running on consoles except the ability explosion that WoW has been gaining since launch. Just toss on quick swap hotbars and make combat more movement and timing based and less press X then Y, the Z then X twice then Q and then G for massive damage.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

General Schatten wrote:
And? I didn't say you couldn't do it. It's just for a port it's going to be awkward if you don't have a mouse and keyboard for your console. In the latter, well you're going to have to fuck around with your 360's software to get it to run TOR, which is a hassle since the game is purposefully design to have low hardware requirements so you can run it on just about anything.
The only reason it would be awkward is if the developers made a shitty interface. The fact that some people are stuck in the mindset that certain games are impossible without <xyz> isn't really important.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

General Zod wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
You realize FFXI has been run on consoles for years now right?
Yes, I know about the MMO FF games. If you're playing either of them on a console, heaven help you.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Havok, I hate to say this.

The game you want exists, but not for consoles. It's a PC game, and it is Star Trek Online. If you want less ship customization and arguably more/easier character customization, you can also look at Star Wars Galaxies.

Sadly to say, both of them are MMORPGs and are pay-to-play. In addition, if you want to play Star Trek Online and have all the customization options actually available to you will cost you roughly $78 to pick up all the character species options, character costume options and ship costume options, if you jump on it before January 3rd, at which point it goes up to roughly $98. This is variable, depending on whether you get 500 free Craptic store points for being inducted to the game by a friend, whether you get some of the options for free by buying the $30 collectors pack and what-not. And this is not inclusive of any of the pets, services (like additional costume slots so you don't have to keep running to the tailor and spending energy credits to change your wardrobe,) or Klingon stuff, either.

Yes, it's a pure ripoff, and they're still charging you money to pay per month.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Havok, I hate to say this.

The game you want exists, but not for consoles. It's a PC game, and it is Star Trek Online. If you want less ship customization and arguably more/easier character customization, you can also look at Star Wars Galaxies.
The key word in the op is "good" space-based RPG.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Stark wrote:Whoa did someone just recommend STO, in a thread about 360 games? LOL!
I think Zod's concern that someone believes STO to be good is more pressing at the moment.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

General Zod wrote:

The key word in the op is "good" space-based RPG.
Please note that Havok's requirements for storyline is "it doesn't have to be great."

I won't say STO is a great game by any stretch, but it does have (most of) what he's looking for:

Req 1: Lots of quests.

STO: Um... No, but you level pretty fast off of all the quests, and if/when they get the UGC running I and god-knows how many other Trekkies will be doing our best to remedy lack-of-content the situation.

SWG: Well, yes, but if you pick a non-combat class you're pretty much going to be playing a tagalong while combat players run through them, or else not seeing them. This changes entirely in space, of course, as even an Entertainer or a crafty domestics engineer can be as terrifying as a Jedi Master in a starfighter, since space combat is divorced from your ground stats.

Req 2: Deep backstory.

STO: C'mon, it's Star Trek! They have forty years of backstory to draw upon, and they do use it. The Featured episodes, especially the Devedian arc, are really great about this, as is the Guardian of Forever arc. They draw upon everything from early TOS (though thankfully not the horrible episodes) to VOY. Not always with the best of results, mind you, but oftentimes great.

SWG: Same as with STO, it's Star Wars! If you're on Stardestroyer.net you almost certainly know the backstory here, and they do try to use it; though they can't always keep up with the EU, such as Grigor Panaka making a mysterious appearance sometime after Vader supposedly killed him andall.

Req 3: Lots of leveling as well as skills and such.

STO: Well... There are 51 "levels," but the advancement is actually wholly tied in to spending skill points you earn from questing and killing and such. Levels are divided into ranks; Ensign/Lieutenant (same thing, you get promoted to Lieutenant almost immediately and Ensigns can use anything a Lieutenant can,) Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Captain, Rear Admiral (Lower/Upper half) and Vice Admiral. You get new ships and usually new toys upon ranking up, so it almost feels like there's only six levels, but you are getting special skills on the tiers between them.

SWG: Lots and lots of levels, most of them empty. I never played a combat class but reportedly it's a motherfucker to level, say, a Jedi, not so much a soldier, scoundrel or smuggler. I played an Entertainer, and I leveled her to 90 or 99 or whichever is the end level by rigging her to macro-dance her way across the basement of an empty house, which they don't even care about. Didn't even have to go outside the UI to do it.

Req 4: Costumes and gear.

STO: Oh yes, but you're going to pay for it. I have every customization option unlocked on my Federation character, and there's a lot of things to choose from. Combined with that is the fact that they give you control over the color "zones" of each garment... Well, let me illustrate:

This is my Captain, my Orion boff, and my Half-Romulan, Half-Trill boff. (Boff meaning Bridge Officer.) They're travelling to the past, to the year 2265, hence my Captain is wearing a uniform appropriate to the time, my Romulan-Trill hybrid is wearing a generic outfit, and my Orion is wearing what Orions always wear.

Technically, you can't make a half-anything; the Romulan-Trill hybrid and my Captain were both made as "Unknown Aliens," which gives you a tremendous amount of lattitude; a six and a half foot tall black-skinned space-elf is really rather tame compared to what you can do with it.

A full landing party, in our usual uniforms. As you can see, they're not typical uniforms; I follow the theory that if we're a science ship (or the crew of what once was a science ship, even if we're now testing a refit tactical escort,) we should look like scientists, at least. Again, the Orion and the Romulan-Trill hybrid are out of uniform; the Orion is a boff I got from getting my Diplomacy up to Ambassador and got to pick a KDF bridge officer and actually can't wear Federation uniforms. I didn't want her walking around in Klingon armor or rags; and let's face it, everybody takes the Orion female for just this reason. :) The Romulan-Trill hybrid is out of uniform because I consider her an infiltration specialist and it won't let me store more than one uniform for my boffs without going back to the tailor.

The others, including my Captain, are in white science officer duty uniforms. If you look, you can see the differences; my Captain and the others are both Science officers, so they have the same pattern, but the Captain's shoulders are gold with blue underline instead of vice-versa. You customize everyone individually.

Req 5: Spaceships and spaceship customization.

STO: If you want an RPG with which to play dress-up in space, this could be your game. You can even dress-up the ships:
This, for instance, is one of mine; a Reconnaissance Research WVessel made up of parts from several of them. Don't think about it too hard. :)

Other than playing "pick the parts," with the hull and applying a paint job or two (not shown on the U.S.S. Grace Augustine there, since I liked bare hull on it), you can also choose from a fairly widely selection of Bridges, most of which you have to pay Craptic for the right to install on your ship (and you can thank me spending a hundred and twenty bucks on Craptic for having screenshots of all the bridges, so you may spend your money more wisely,) but my favorite is free, you get the Diplomat series bridges just for getting your character to Ambassador. You can also choose the size of your ship's internal layouts, but it doesn't change much.

Aftermarket additions to the ships are currently limited to the Aegis set and the Borg set; the Aegis set is nifty glowy TRON stuff on your ship's hull, and it's crafted by players. The Borg set is wrested from the Borg as victory rewards for some very difficult missions, and by difficult I mean tedious. It looks like your ship's been Assimilated, except it was you doing the Assimilation.

Personally, I favor the Aegis set as it's more powerful and cooler looking, with the Borg Console added. You can hide any of the parts you wish, or not hide them, just like you can hide your character's armor and "kit" item if you'd rather see your uniform.

SWG: as far as external customization goes, you're limited to modifying the paint job, unless you're flying an Imperial vessel in which most cases you can't even do that. Some external parts (engines, afterburners, guns) might change model if you install different guns, but not on Imperial ships. Don't fly Imperial! However, internal customization blows STO out of the water if you're flying a ship with an interior, since they function like houses in that they let you put down objects and manipulate them around the axes and all such. I had a Nova Courier with an inside dressed up in furniture like I was making a Firefly-style "your family's your crew" ship.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Did you read the fucking title, dumbass?

Last I remembered neither SWG(pre and post SOE meddling) or STO were on the fucking XBOX 360. So again, using the defense that he said it doesn't have to be great is a poor excuse. Both of the times you posted the drivel.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Ghost Rider wrote:Did you read the fucking title, dumbass?
Did you read my fucking post, dumbass?

Last I remembered neither SWG(pre and post SOE meddling) or STO were on the fucking XBOX 360. So again, using the defense that he said it doesn't have to be great is a poor excuse. Both of the times you posted the drivel.
Last I checked, I made that point first-thing, in pointing out that something quite similar to the game he has described as the object of his desire does exist, but it's not on his fucking XBOX 360. Dumbass.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote: Please note that Havok's requirements for storyline is "it doesn't have to be great."
Do I have to explicitly say that "the game is a boring piece of shit" in order to get you to not twist my words? Where the fuck did I say anything about the story for that matter?
I won't say STO is a great game by any stretch, but it does have (most of) what he's looking for:

>snip drivel<
The key thing he's looking for that it doesn't have is being good. Frankly I wouldn't recommend STO to anyone.