World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Norade »

The preview of the French tree is lacking the Char B1 and I find it damned surprising that it's not in as a premium tank at least.

French Tech Tree
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'm giving it a try now. However, I've (actually, both me and my wife) are now quite fond of the Russian version and I find it hard to make myself log on the English beta, even though I'm trying to actually get employed by Wargaming to have an ability to move to Minsk and I need to play the English version to do it. And this is despite the free gold that is falling every day on the beta :( Damn.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Is the Russian versions that far ahead/different from what we're playing?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I am sort of progressing in the Russian version, and it has many more players, which makes battles arrive faster, etc. which is just so convenient.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

How much faster do you need since even 3 AM battles seem to occur in 30 seconds or less?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Um... in Russia there's 0-3 second intervals. Which is comfortable, because I don't really have loads of time to play.

Assalti Frontali
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stas Bush wrote:Um... in Russia there's 0-3 second intervals. Which is comfortable, because I don't really have loads of time to play.
30 seconds is a long delay, it is 10 seconds or less most times

Also yeah, su-85. I finally have a gun that hurts things Once I get my Lee to veteran I'll be fucking done with the American tree except getting my mediums.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

After the update the game started crashing on launch. And forums are giving me 502 error. Screw it, hope they fix it soon.

Anyone else running into problems?
Logical Mike
Youngling

Post by Logical Mike »

Probably already been asked but what kind of rig would I require to try this out? Sounds pretty awesome.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

I have a 2,66 dual core and a GF9800GT on Win7 and I run the game maxxed out with 40 fps on average. It aint really a game that requires a hardcore gaming rig, so feel free to download it and try out. From what I've seen the graphical controls are pretty scalable so even with older spec comp you should do fine.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Nevermind about the crash, the client is updating now.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It has an "ugly mode" as long as you have a non-Intel based "video" card you'll be fine. Even Geforce 6600's run the game fine on medium settings. You can just barely play it on most low end laptops so most desktop PC's will be fine.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Almost anything would do to play thing game. I played it on a GT 8600 on an old laptop. Worked fine on medium.

Assalti Frontali
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Hey, people don't get Scout anymore if the team loses.

Kinda doubt it will stop the bloody mediums and lights from committing mass suicide (and I speak as a driver of a Hummel, IS, and an Easy 8 ), but maybe they'd finally scout more smartly and draw the enemy tanks to my waiting IS 122mm gun instead of pushing on forward :P
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I'm running it happily if not at perfect detail on a quadro fx 570m, which is a 8600m with diffrerent drivers. It'll run on anything.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Decided to pick up a Churchill for no good reason. Between it and the Matilda, I'm looking forward to the British tree, soley for relative eccentricity. Heavies that outrun mediums! Lights that outgun heavies! Backwards firing TDs! And not one that goes faster than 30!

More seriously, it's... interesting playing it. The gun has better penetration than the Matilda's, I just wish that the shell actually did something when it got through the armour. Whiffling a medium tank to death is a little time consuming.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Churchills exist to draw fire, not do damage :P
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

And they're good at it. The last few matches though, I've actually enjoyed it and it's tiny, tiny gun. It's got a hell of a fire rate and gleefully chews through the enemy's scouts.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I have been tearing shit up in my M7. Tossed the second 75mm in the thing, fully upgraded engine and tracks, and suddenly I'm a Tigers worst fucking nightmare. I will outrun their traverse no matter what they do, and once that happens I'll be blowing their engine block into their driver seat. Just put the rammer on the baby, and I'm spitting 75mm shells at dammed near 20 shots a minute.

Add in that I can go from zero to holy shit in about three seconds, turn on a dime even when crawling at 20km/h, and am low-profile enough to hid behind the smallest of hills and rocks, and I'm in heaven. Got into a four-M7 pack of nastiness in Porhakova (sp, big time), the map with train tracks on the east side and nothing but rolling hills. We brought pure hell to the heavies and TD's. Arty died in a fire whilst being totally ineffective, and oh were they bitching about it.

Mmmm. Arty tears. Gotta love 'em.

All we need now is the invisible tank bug to be fixed and a reworking of the detrack mechanics (both being worked on) and it'll be great. Though arty getting nerfed to the point that nobody plays them would also be wonderful.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

Arty got pretty seriously nerfed by the last patch. The official forums are awash with arty players crying now that their beloved SPG's perform remotely like artillery really would. I tried out my Wespe today and with a 60% crew it's pretty much impossible to do jack shit against anything more mobile than a barn with any certainty. This is good, cuts back on the feeling of Predator launched Hellfires raining down from the skies whenever I poke my King Tiger into the open for five seconds. Overall, I'd say the patch was a success in fixing some severe issues I had with the game.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Yeah, the game is a ton more fun to play now than it was prepatch.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I did not think the arty were that much worse, though I have only played it once since the patch. Maybe because my arty crew is 90+?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Highlord Laan wrote:Though arty getting nerfed to the point that nobody plays them would also be wonderful.
Yeah, just cut out the entire wing of self-propelled artillery out of the game, what a nice idea. Seriously, they've been nerfed enough by the current version.

Assalti Frontali
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Arty inaccuracy is more noticeable post-patch even with a 100% crew, but with good target selection it's still very feasible to get multiple kills when playing arty. Just don't target the guys you shouldn't even be targetting in the first place (i.e. Leopard Scout moving at full speed), and focus on the vast majority of idiot players who think it's macho to leave your tank in the open.

Also, I still find it funny how people keep complaining about artillery however, when what really kills most medium and light tanks are heavy ATGs (mounted on Heavies and TDs). Playing an IS has really let me see what a monster heavy guns are.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Norade wrote:The preview of the French tree is lacking the Char B1 and I find it damned surprising that it's not in as a premium tank at least.

French Tech Tree

Damn, it's one of the coolest looking tanks ever made. It is already available as a German premium tank though (captured B1 with its 75mm gun stripped)