World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

atg
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by atg »

Probably wan't to check balance of a complete tech-tree of vehicles earlier, rather than add a new country where some vehicles are already in.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:I'm not sure why they're going all-out with a French tree when British tanks aren't properly implemented yet. Doing British tanks would not only make more sense, but be a lot less work for them -- a lot of the design, stats, and art are already done. Churchill, Valentine, and Matilda are all in, and Sherman variants are easy to do too.
They already have the Somua, it's a elite captured German tank.

As well it seems they have a much deeper line unlike the American tanks. If I'm understanding the development teams words there countries have their own team's working on them. The same six guys are working on French tanks, a different set of five guys is working on the Churchills. After they are done back to work on American tanks or perhaps Polish, Hungarian, Swedish or maybe Japanese or Italian tanks.

I can't wait for the soft wipe, I seriously can't wait because I have so much XP wasted in getting the first tier's of everyone's tanks. I'm going down the German Panzer III to Tiger II route, the Soviet KV Artillery route and I'm skipping the Lee route for the americans because the M7 and M23 looking interesting.

Part of the problems is the "fast" tanks (The A20 and Lepoard) are just barely faster than the "slow" high end medium tanks like the T-43 and N-23.

The N7 looks like a decently armed (Same gun as the Lee) but can do 65.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The M7 is not all that nice to play. It is decent if it is tiered close enough to the top but otherwise... best bet with it is not to scout, but get to a location (like the hill on Pagorki) and deny it to the other team until help arrives. For a fast tank it is pretty well armored and tough but with pretty low pen.

You really want the second turret before you start playing with it seriously because otherwise your limited to the small guns but fighting tanks almost twice your tier. HE does nothing in that case.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Finally enough gold for monthly premium now (Yesterday I was 43 gold short argh).
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hrm...did the devs announce the precise date for the wipe?

'Coz I just yesterday ground enough credits to upgrade a tier, but only with selling some of my older tanks. Maybe I should just hold out? Though I'm a bit tired of getting RAEPed in my BT-7, but I suppose I could just play around with TDs and arty until the wipe rolls around...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

A little under two weeks from what I understand. So don't sell any tanks, just continue grinding until you get enough cash to buy what you want outright.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Been joining up with a mate in a platoon and co-ordinating using skype. That brings a lot to the game where you gang up on opposing tanks and start taking them apart together.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Holy SHIT but I suck at this whole medium tank thing...

So I upgraded to an A20 because I didn't feel like grinding in the BT-7 (which was getting destroyed a lot). I though, hey, added armor and more armament options should make me more survivable!

Right? Wrong! I go to do battle, and suddenly I keep getting matched up with 8-10 heavy tanks of tier VII or more. Usually I'm either the only medium tank or one of two.

...and it became frustrating. ANY heavy in a match can one-shot me, and there's enough so that I run into them anywhere I go. And there's only a couple of maps where the A20s superior speed actually matters: usually, there's nowhere to run while you stare a Tiger II down its barrel.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Um.. The A-20 isn't a medium tank. It's a light, equivalent to the Leopard in the German tree. Also the tier 4 lights get tossed into high tier matches a lot, so get used to being an arty scout and dying a lot.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Um.. The A-20 isn't a medium tank. It's a light, equivalent to the Leopard in the German tree. Also the tier 4 lights get tossed into high tier matches a lot, so get used to being an arty scout and dying a lot.
Oh, right. It's in the medium tank tree and has an option to use a pretty heavy gun (the L-11 76mm) for a light, though, which was why I kinda expected it to be just a bump from the Bt-7 before the actual mediums started.

Which is especially weird since I met Leopards all the damn time in the BT. There were high-tier heavies there, too, but usually only 3-4 per team, which means there were tanks I could form wolf packs with.

Now it's 8-10 top-tier heavies (tanks or TDs), usually four top-tier arty guns and me and some other poor fucker in an A-20 or if he's lucky a T34 :D

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

OK, the American M37 is fucking ridiculous. Why? It carries too much ammo. Yes, that's right, it has too much ammunition. What do I mean?

The M37 can has either the 105mm M3 or the 105mm M4. The M3 fires 4.3 rpm, the M4 fires 5.1. That means that at most you can get off 76 shots in a 15 minute match, if every shot is fired as soon as the gun reloads. The M37 carries 126 rounds. OK, maybe if you buy gold shells the extra ammo's nice, but hell, you could carry 76 HE and 50 HEAT shells in that thing.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Dark wrote:OK, the American M37 is fucking ridiculous. Why? It carries too much ammo. Yes, that's right, it has too much ammunition. What do I mean?

The M37 can has either the 105mm M3 or the 105mm M4. The M3 fires 4.3 rpm, the M4 fires 5.1. That means that at most you can get off 76 shots in a 15 minute match, if every shot is fired as soon as the gun reloads. The M37 carries 126 rounds. OK, maybe if you buy gold shells the extra ammo's nice, but hell, you could carry 76 HE and 50 HEAT shells in that thing.
That's good, much better than the inverse. It also means you can forget to refill and still not be screwed. Compare to the Su-5 with the biggest gun and 14 or so shells... Much better to have more than less. It's really just saying you have enough shells to get through a match guaranteed.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

xthetenth wrote:
The Dark wrote:OK, the American M37 is fucking ridiculous. Why? It carries too much ammo. Yes, that's right, it has too much ammunition. What do I mean?

That's good, much better than the inverse. It also means you can forget to refill and still not be screwed. Compare to the Su-5 with the biggest gun and 14 or so shells... Much better to have more than less. It's really just saying you have enough shells to get through a match guaranteed.
Yeah, I suppose. It's also hilarious once you get the upgraded 105mm, because there are very few maps that it can't shoot corner-to-corner, and it'll one-shot a lot of mid-tier tanks. The M37's also decently quick, so I've done well in maps like Karelia by sprinting to weird positions where I can hit some of the "traditional" hiding spots and plink away at heavy tanks trying to dance in and out of cover.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

No wipe this year

Meh. Getting bored now; guess it's fun playing in a clan, but going solo gets old pretty fast =\
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, I got distracted by shiny stuff about midway through the grind from A20 to T34.

Can't imagine playing a gazillion matches to upgrade from THAT.

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The M5 Stuart is seriously pissing me off. What the bloody fuck am I going to do on a map with IS7's, Maus's (Mice? Mausii?) and hellfire-armed recon drones filling the sky?

Scout? That standard bullshit excuse isn't anywhere near valid anymore.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Highlord Laan wrote:The M5 Stuart is seriously pissing me off. What the bloody fuck am I going to do on a map with IS7's, Maus's (Mice? Mausii?) and hellfire-armed recon drones filling the sky?

Scout? That standard bullshit excuse isn't anywhere near valid anymore.
Yeah, I had to get through that too. Best bet is to unequip the radio and put in a worse one. Didn't see so many Maus' after that. But still throwing HE at him until I almost got sniper was kinda silly fun.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

^

I've been doing something similar. Though I will admit one funny instance where the Maus turned it's turret to me, and the player told me he'd show mercy, because he'd been in my position too many times. I said thanks and harmlessly plinked him a couple more times. Then I rounded a corner and got blown in half by an IS7.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I actually survive most of my "Scout" matches while playing an Easy 8, believe it or not (games where I'm the smallest tank on the team). I don't get to shoot a lot, but knowing that you shouldn't even bother shooting and just drive around scooting from defilade to defilade helps up survivability a lot :D.

(That, and not running into things all alone. Scouting when your heavies aren't in shooting position is a recipe for a quick and horrible death)
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Zinegata wrote:I actually survive most of my "Scout" matches while playing an Easy 8, believe it or not (games where I'm the smallest tank on the team). I don't get to shoot a lot, but knowing that you shouldn't even bother shooting and just drive around scooting from defilade to defilade helps up survivability a lot :D.

(That, and not running into things all alone. Scouting when your heavies aren't in shooting position is a recipe for a quick and horrible death)
Most heavies are too busy hiding from the drone-launched hellfires for that to work all that often.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Highlord Laan wrote:
Zinegata wrote:I actually survive most of my "Scout" matches while playing an Easy 8, believe it or not (games where I'm the smallest tank on the team). I don't get to shoot a lot, but knowing that you shouldn't even bother shooting and just drive around scooting from defilade to defilade helps up survivability a lot :D.

Most heavies are too busy hiding from the drone-launched hellfires for that to work all that often.
In those cases I don't scout at all until the enemy plays their hand first.

One mistake I often see with a lot of scouts is how they just charge towards the first enemy unit they see. I tend not to do that. I tend to start evading and heading back to base when they're a good 3-4 cells off.

Many call this cowardice. But I call it tactically sound :angelic:
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Zinegata wrote:
Highlord Laan wrote:

In those cases I don't scout at all until the enemy plays their hand first.

One mistake I often see with a lot of scouts is how they just charge towards the first enemy unit they see. I tend not to do that. I tend to start evading and heading back to base when they're a good 3-4 cells off.

Many call this cowardice. But I call it tactically sound :angelic:
It's because it a race to get in visual range of an enemy. It only pays once, and only to the one that found them.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

True, but it's kinda harmful for the team.

Besides, the best scouts I've seen generally last until the end of the round. They start off scouting "lightly" (they don't push deep and only light up the outer edges of enemy formations) and get more aggressive as the game goes on (when there are fewer tanks).

While it doesn't result in spectacular "light up the whole base" cases (which happen rarely anyway, and often ineffectual), these guys often get the Scout medal anyway because they're the ones who flush out all the campers in the late game.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zinegata wrote:True, but it's kinda harmful for the team.

Besides, the best scouts I've seen generally last until the end of the round. They start off scouting "lightly" (they don't push deep and only light up the outer edges of enemy formations) and get more aggressive as the game goes on (when there are fewer tanks).

While it doesn't result in spectacular "light up the whole base" cases (which happen rarely anyway, and often ineffectual), these guys often get the Scout medal anyway because they're the ones who flush out all the campers in the late game.
I have a Leopard and an A20 both at Veteran status. I could spend five minutes scouting and rack up about 1000 xp... maybe 1500 if I manage to kill some artillery piece back there. Or I could just rush the enemy base, spot all the tanks, get the scout medal die and get 1000 xp in 30 seconds, 2000 with first round doubling. Unless I end up in a rare Tier 4-6 game where I can hurt the tanks I use my scout tanks once per day then transfer that XP to good tanks I want to play or am grinding with like my T-34, my Sherman or my Lee. I do the same thing with my Hummel since that's in Vet status too.

Without the softwipe I play World of tanks once per day for about thirty minutes once each with all of my tanks to take advantage of the first round of the day double xp and that's it.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Got a stock IS. It's pretty bad.

Gonna grind with my Hummel and Easy 8 until I can at least get it the 122mm gun. I'm doing shockingly well on my Hummel so far. At least 3 kills per round so far in the past 10 rounds or so o_o.

Either people are getting less skilled from the last time I played, or I'm just getting incredibly lucky.