World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Thanas wrote:Yeah, the German guns are also underpowered in their performance.
That's because IIRC the devs used the penetration results of tests where the Germans were firing at plates that were angled and the penetration results from when the Soviets were firing at entirely erect plates.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I'm still laughing my ass off at the notion that a free-to-play internet tank game that's still in beta should be "realistic".
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Stark wrote:Are you saying 'realism' is difficult or expensive?
No, I'm saying that games sometimes have to sacrifice realism in order to make game mechanics work and/or make the game fun to play. Didn't we have this exact same discussion like ten or so pages back?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You're still wrong. Its not 'sacrifice' that they're using the wrong stats; they just don't care. The tanks and mods are just window dressing anyway, so they could have just made them up and it wouldn't have really mattered game-wise. That's what they do in shooters, and nobody cares.

Hooting on about F2P and beta when these are irrelevant is pretty stupid, though. Its wrong to chase the game for realism when it was obviously never a design goal, not because of your misunderstanding of the F2P business model.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Then why bitch about it being unrealistic at all, Stark? Ya know it's not going to be, you know why it isn't, so why bother harping on about?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think there is a medium ground here. Obviously giving the German guns their real penetration would imbalance the game, as would making the costs realistic. And of course, there is no 105mm gun on the Tiger II in reality etc.

However, it is also important that one can recognize that the symbols are not screwed up, that the tanks actually look historical etc.

as long as a game can maintain that balance between realism I think harping about one gun or so is a bit unrealistic. It is not as if they suddenly colored the Nazi flag wrong or so (Creative Assembly, looking at you).
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Then why bitch about it being unrealistic at all, Stark? Ya know it's not going to be, you know why it isn't, so why bother harping on about?
I didn't, you stupid cunt. I actually told Shep that it's -USELESS- to bitch about it being unrealistic because it was never a design goal. Learn to read.

The build stuff for the tanks is pretty much always going to be unrealistic, and there's only so much they can do in the context of the game anyway. Its not important until they actually produce the framework they intend for the full game; who expects historical accuracy from a TDM shooter? Having more 'accurate' stats might allow some 'accurate' tactics to emerge, but I doubt anyone involved from the devs to the players gives a shit.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Stark wrote:I didn't, you stupid cunt. I actually told Shep that it's -USELESS- to bitch about it being unrealistic because it was never a design goal. Learn to read.
Which was why you were talking to me when you said "Are you saying 'realism' is difficult or expensive?", you dishonest shit? Seriously, you didn't mention Shep's name at all in the post where you said that, so nice try on covering your ass there. How about you just man up for once and admit that you really were just trolling for something to complain about, or better yet, how about you shut the fuck up and get the hell out of the thread considering I've yet to see you even playing the goddamn game at all.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Well, I had promised to try out the US SPGs, but I ended up getting a Sherman Easy 8 instead.

And it's a very good tank. An excellent shoot-and-scooter, with some potential for close-in knife fighting (Armor is a major issue, but the tank is speedy enough to run circles around some heavies).

The tank is also a beast against light tanks - the rapid-fire 76mm and fast turret traverse once let me knock out or disable 3 Panzer IIIs in 4 shots in one battle over a span of 2 minutes.

The relatively low damage output of the 76mm will tend to limit your kill count though, since the Sherman tends to "chip away" life as opposed to taking it away in chunks (i.e. mediums with 88mm guns, who tend to finish off enemy tanks at around 30%), but you should get a lot of damaging hits that will give you a decent cash flow. So don't be discouraged if you have a low kill count every match - decently handled, you should inflict quite a bit of damage

The "chip away" mechanic tends to be helpful in other ways too, BTW. I once killed a T-36 (American Heavy) by firing like 5 or 6 shots to its side, taking out only 3-4% per hit but setting him on fire and immobilizing him. I also brought down a TIger II down to 40% in a similar situation, albeit the Tiger killed me eventually.

In short, don't be frustrated if you don't get too many kills in the Sherman. Properly handled, it's an awesome addition to any team.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Sounds a lot like the VK3601 with the conical, you're not going to kill anything real quick, but at least you're making that fucking heavy have to pay a repair bill rather than watching every shot bounce.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, the Sherman acts very much like a German medium with the quick-firing 75mm gun.

The Sherman's upgraded 76mm gun can fire about once every 3 seconds though, making it about a second faster than the German 75mm, and has slightly better stats overall.

Now, being one second faster than a 75mm may not seem like much, but it is ideal for track-cracking. Aside from the T-36 and Tiger II, I've immobilized two other heavies in the 20 matches I've played so far - by doing nothing but pump HE shells at their tracks. I didn't kill either tank, but it prevented their escape and allowed the team to kill'm.

Other than that, the big difference really between the Sherman and German shoot-and-scooters is the very fast turret traverse. The Sherman's turret can very easily keep up with a light tank moving at high speed, which is why it's such a good light tank killer.
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

So - very - short on money. But having fun, nonetheless.
I was pleasantly surprised when I got a M2 with howitzer - it cleans out rushing lights _real_ fast, and reliably damages mediums on insane ranges.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

haard wrote:So - very - short on money. But having fun, nonetheless.
First and most important thing for making money; do not spend gold on anything but premium time. If possible, buy the time in at least one week chucks. I don't know how much if any gold you get as a nest egg as a new tester, but eventually you can save enough gold to go "permanent" premium where you get more gold in the month then it costs to buy the monthly premium.

As for making money, I'm not certain. It used to be suicide scout in light tanks for quick and easy cash, but with the removal of warping tanks, little scouts often get nuked without scouting much. Arty is another go to money-maker, but they did a few changes to it as well recently so sure how they alters its money-machine effect. I'm currently working through the T-43 and KV grinds, so not been in a light or arty recently.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I find the basic Sherman to be an excellent money maker. It pulls in around 20k a match, and it's dirt cheap to repair -- 2.5k or so.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

20k? I'm extatic if I get 5k with a 3-kill win in the M2...

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

I've found artillery and the KV to be reliable moneymakers simply because they've got the firepower to hurt tanks of a higher tier and have fairly low repair costs. TDs also have that quality, but they don't have the ability to stay away from enemy fire like artillery or the HP/armor of heavies to really be survivable. They seem to have made some changes to how detection works in the favor of ambushing from foliage, but I still dislike the playstyle of passively sitting around and waiting for somebody to finally wander into your trap. I did recently have a hilarious incident where a KV passed while I sat in a literally 10 meters away and not detecting my SU-100 though. Might be worth experimenting to see if it's possible to do a stealth cap...

Got the IS-3 and it's pretty fun. The only real disadvantage is the lack of maneuverability and low ROF, so I'm usually limited to hugging buildings and other cover so I don't suddenly find myself in the open with a bunch of guns trained on me. Had a couple of games where I blew through the enemy team without support, taking down 5-6 tanks by myself, only to find the majority of my team died in the meantime because they all decided to challenge a Ferdinand head-on through a narrow road or something stupid like that. I make a profit pretty much every game, once again reinforcing my belief the heavies that camp in base then complain about ammo and repair costs are just crybabies who need to learn how to play.

I haven't played the American tanks yet but from fighting them, they don't seem to be very impressive. They have good DPS on paper but their generally anemic penetration leaves much to be desired. The thick turret armor is easily circumvented by aiming at the hull and their mobility generally isn't as good as the Soviet tanks. The only niche I can think of them fulfilling is finding a hull-down position where only their turret is exposed and blasting away from there.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

haard wrote:20k? I'm extatic if I get 5k with a 3-kill win in the M2...
Higher tier tanks make more credits. Of course, they also cost more to run; in the long term I make more money spamming the low tiers with my elite T-26 than killing the hell out of things with my IS, simply because while the latter pulls in between 11k and 20k depending on the match, it's repair costs are ridiculous, while I can reliably pull down 5k or more popping LOLtraktors in low tier matches and if I somehow get destroyed by the n00bs I can repair for less than 500. Tier 8-10 tanks can actually reliably lose credits per match if the player is unlucky or unskilled; the IS can lose (though barely) on repair costs if I do extraordinarily poorly. This never happened before reaching tier 7.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What are the system requirements for this game?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Wot FAQ
What are the system requirements?

Minimum system requirements:
CPU: 2 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Video: GeForce 6600GT (128 MB) / ATI analog
HDD: 2GB
Connection rate: 128 Kbps

Average system requirements:
CPU: 3 GHz
RAM:2 GB
Video: GeForce 8600GT (256 MB) / ATI analog
Connection rate: 128 Kbps

Maximum system requirements:
CPU: 2 Core 3 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video: GeForce 9800 (512 MB) / ATI analog
Connection rate: 1024 Kbps or higher (for faster downloads)
What operating systems does the game support?

World of Tanks supports Microsoft Windows series operating systems.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Has anyone else tried the 105 on the Sherman? Comparing with the fast 76 on my T1 it doesn't seem significantly worse, and I prefer it to the 76, myself. I can blow up the other tier 5 mediums in one shot and I've managed to take on Panthers 1-on-1 from full health if I can get to their sides.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Broken wrote:
haard wrote:So - very - short on money. But having fun, nonetheless.
First and most important thing for making money; do not spend gold on anything but premium time. If possible, buy the time in at least one week chucks.
I wouldn't even bother with one week, just have fun with the lower tier whilst you can and don't worry about going premium until you've got the 2500 to go permanent. It takes about 16.5 days but it's worth it.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Has anyone else tried the 105 on the Sherman? Comparing with the fast 76 on my T1 it doesn't seem significantly worse, and I prefer it to the 76, myself. I can blow up the other tier 5 mediums in one shot and I've managed to take on Panthers 1-on-1 from full health if I can get to their sides.
It's what I have on my sherman right now. It is definitely a skirmish pipe though because it has utter shit penetration from the front. Line up a shot on the side armour of anything below tier eight though? it'll penetrate happily and do a nice amount of damage.

You can reliably do damage with the Skirmish pipe up to an is-4 grade level...it just takes some doing so you aren't horribly squished with one swipe of the big tank's turret.

Ideally you need a platoon to hide behind.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

haard wrote:20k? I'm extatic if I get 5k with a 3-kill win in the M2...
I'll confirm the 20K, I normally pull in that much easy in my Sherman. I'm going to keep it when I get the Easy Eight simply as a money machine, it's more entertaining than arty.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

For money, I'm turning my M57 elite for now, while saving gold for Premium.
Also considering turning the Luchs gold instead of going for Leo... still undecided.
Exonerate wrote: I haven't played the American tanks yet but from fighting them, they don't seem to be very impressive. They have good DPS on paper but their generally anemic penetration leaves much to be desired. The thick turret armor is easily circumvented by aiming at the hull and their mobility generally isn't as good as the Soviet tanks. The only niche I can think of them fulfilling is finding a hull-down position where only their turret is exposed and blasting away from there.
That is exactly how I have to play the M2/Howitzer. Well - first I hang back and kill rushing scouts, then depending on the flow of the game I go behind the offense or hull down in a blocking position and blast HE on any slow targets that show themselves.