I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by General Zod »

White Haven wrote:Silenced sniper rifle helps a lot on stuff like that, so you can avoid pulling packs. Really, L20 is a bit overkill, just gotta be smart about it, open with a looong-ranged sneak attack and wear 'em down on the way in before switching to something bruthless (Helloooo CZ57 Avenger!) once they get in close.
The problem is Cazadors close in really fast, and against 4+ they gangrape you good. They default to level 18 creatures as it is so unless you're higher than that you're in for a tough time.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Oh, I'm aware. That's why I advocated finding the named unique minigun as a way to make them less threatening at short range. Also a really good trick against them is to ambush a group with a grenade-launching weapon of some sort. Winged creatures are SUPER vulnerable to crippling attacks, and explosives are super good at crippling things.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

White Haven wrote:Oh, I'm aware. That's why I advocated finding the named unique minigun as a way to make them less threatening at short range. Also a really good trick against them is to ambush a group with a grenade-launching weapon of some sort. Winged creatures are SUPER vulnerable to crippling attacks, and explosives are super good at crippling things.
I found grenade launchers didn't help much, but that could just be my explosives score sucked. In any case I just avoided areas the cazadors were until I leveled up enough. Now I can curb-stomp them in two punches.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Drop a couple 'nades from a sneak attack and then start giggling as all the cazadores are flopping around helplessly on the ground with crippled wings. :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Have they patched any of the more atrocious bugs in the game yet? I'm really tempted to pick it up but I've seen a lot of complaints about how buggy the game is, including an entertaining claim that there's a certain area you can only walk through if you're wearing a cowboy hat.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Jaevric wrote:Have they patched any of the more atrocious bugs in the game yet? I'm really tempted to pick it up but I've seen a lot of complaints about how buggy the game is, including an entertaining claim that there's a certain area you can only walk through if you're wearing a cowboy hat.
The hat bug seems related to the debt collector quest. It won't happen on its own automatically.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I take out groups of cazadors now using the "Pop em from loooooong range" method. Their aggro range is redonk, though. you gotta be sure to get em before they get in striking range. Boone can only take 3 hits from them before dying, and their poison is SUPER EFFECTIVE.

Wait, no, those are just the young ones. But yeah, F* cazadors. it makes no sense why they have a bajillion HP and hit so hard when bloatflies are the same size and get splatted by stupid varmint rifles. just...ugh, wghat is that carapace made of and why can't I harvest it to make armor? GRAGGH
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

This Machine + Hollow Points works wonders against Cazadores. Riot Shotgun is another wonderful tool for killing them and if one wants to take the "Blow up the fuckin' bugs with big-ass explosives" route, I recommend the lovable Grenade Machinegun which becomes available just before level 20 at the Gun Runners store and the 188 Trading Post.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

rapid single shots with incinerator (you get in primm) tends to work on moth stuff, when combined with furious back peddling, food etc.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

It's a bit of end-game stuff, but the gauss rifle and explosions on death from energy weapons perk is awesome at clearing out cazadores at range. Stealth crit can take out an entire pack of them at once.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

General Zod wrote:Get Veronica for a companion, seriously. She's a brawler but her punches will kill almost anything in one hit but the really tough fuckers. (Giant radscorpions, deathclaws, etc.)
Veronica's great until the bug that stops her from levelling up properly occurs and she ends up useless at higher levels. Doesn't always happen, but bloody annoying when it does.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

I hate Cazadores for pretty much the same reason everyone else does. I was able to kill one at around level 16 or so with Boone and ED-E but that was by luring it away from the rest and soon after we got swamped by them and both Boone and ED-E died (I've been playing pretty much exclusively on hardcore mode because I'm a fan of roguelikes).

So far I've got one game that is pretty far along and working on the House Always wins ending with a few others that are just starting out and getting a feel for other builds. Had to run a bunch of sidequests on the furthest one to get XP to level up my lockpicking skill so I can get to the Boomers (I understand there is a tunnel to them but I hardly put any points into lockpick to open the entrance until now).

Of all the groups that I could support, I'm finding myself more interested in Mr. House than the others.

(Warning: Contains a rant on how much I despise Caesars Legion.)

House is a 200 plus year old pre-war genius who basically saved New Vegas from the bombs, has an army of robots and prewar tech, has knowledge of medicine and longevity technology, and apparently has a plan to rebuild the world. I'm as a high-intelligence low-charisma character and I figure that going along with Houses plans for now is the best course to take, he hates the legion and likes the NCR (as long as they don't try to take over New Vegas or otherwise mess with his stuff). He needs somebody who can move around and handle stuff so I'd be in a position of power to make sure that people like the Followers of the Apocalypse and people in Freeside are doing okay.

The Followers are my second favorite (or rather my most favorite except they don't have an army of robots or any plans to take over the region). The preserve knowledge, help people and otherwise try to get humanity back on its feet. I figure that no matter what happens I'd try to help them as much as possible and reap terrible retribution upon anyone who causes trouble for them.

The NCR is a close third. They're rebuilding civilization and keeping people safe from the raiders and gangs and such... seem to have trouble allocating the manpower and resources to the right places but it looks like they use a volunteer army so I can't fault them for being short staffed. However, they seem to be in this mainly for getting the resources and less on helping the people. I'd preffer an arrangement where House gets money and resources to build his high-tech stuff while the NCR can trade with him and otherwise run the place. The Followers focus on preserving knowledge and healing people.

Ceasers Legion... Okay, I've talked to him and I can sort of understand where he's coming from. Namely that a united mankind is better than a divided one or something along those lines. And I can understand his desire for an Empire that works to wee corruption and complacancy from its ranks. However the whole slavery, massacering of entire towns, shunning of technology, and subjugation of women thing is just bullshit and not winning any points in my book (I tend to play female characters because if I'm going to spend hours playing a game I might as well have a character who's nice to look at).

There are actual aliens out there, libraries of medical and technological knowledge, and several other continents on the planet. 'Uniting' the North American continent under glorified army of raiders using human wave tactics and stolen guns while ignoring advancements in medical science, technology, and ehtics is just a punch in the face to humanity itself. Sure, making a single glorious human empire sounds like fun, but Ceasers doing it the wrong way and comes off to me as just a punk who took free education and used to play games with the lives of local tribals.

I can understand having a totalitarian dictatorship running a nation (as long as its a benevolent one... which it never is) and heck, slavery might be okay as long as its not based on racism and there's a way out of it (ensuring that people who are literaly good for nothing else are put to work while those who can accomplish greater things can be freed to help society), and hell toss in cannibalsim and the occasional bit of cruel and unusual punishmen or whatever. Those things are cruel and stupid and only 'good' in the sense that they might be efficient to pull off. But shunning technology and subjugating women? Thats just stupid no matter how you justify it.

If Captain Morons stupid empire needs more children to grow up into cannon fodder then get some better medical technology to make sure children survive to adulthood, use medicine to eliminate STDs, tell women they can have all the sex they want (as long as its with strong soldiers or smart scientists), and then have a huge adoption center where kids can be sent where they get fed, educated, and trained by the state. Problem solved and Captain Moron just added added half of his citizens into the workforce.

Otherwise, if I need a totalitarian dictatorship to unite humanity I'll just join up with the two other high-tech factions, wipe out the idiots in the fancy dresses, and then figure out a way to set up my own Empire... but this time with technology and equal rights for everyone (except for the ones who are enslaved).

I guess the reason I hate Ceasers Legion so much is because its an example of one guy with a bit of education exploiting a whole bunch of less educated people for personal gain and trying to justify it with pseudoscientific bullshit (as opposed to religious bullshit which at least is par the course). It not advancing humanities interests at all because its hard to advance scientifically whiles its easy to advance stupidly. And all this is taking place after humanity already shot itself in the foot and is just starting to rebuild while actual bona fide aliens and nigh-invincible monster are showing up (I swear if those Cazadores start breeding rapidly or figure out how to fly up farther than five feet off the ground then I hope the dominant military force humanity has is more than a bunch of roman cosplayers carrying machetes).
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

On the boomers, you don't need lockpicks. I said 'screw it', and using a bunch of stimpaks was able to run up to their fence along the far right side while dodging the artillery. Once you get close enough they'll stop shelling you. Took a whole lot of attempts before I got through though.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

He's playing on hardcore, so artillery crippling limbs is a MUCH bigger problem, and stimpacks aren't an instaheal anymore. Makes the Boomers much more of a problem.

Rossum
Padawan Learner

Post by Rossum »

General Zod wrote:On the boomers, you don't need lockpicks. I said 'screw it', and using a bunch of stimpaks was able to run up to their fence along the far right side while dodging the artillery. Once you get close enough they'll stop shelling you. Took a whole lot of attempts before I got through though.
Might work, though I'm trying to beat the game in Hardcore mode and healing doesn't happen instantly like it does normally. I'll try using the tunnel this time and might try the stimpak rush route next time on normal mode.
Fry: No! They did it! They blew it up! And then the apes blew up their society too. How could this happen? And then the birds took over and ruined their society. And then the cows. And then... I don't know, is that a slug, maybe? Noooo!

Futurama: The Late Philip J. Fry
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Rossum wrote:I guess the reason I hate Ceasers Legion so much is because its an example of one guy with a bit of education exploiting a whole bunch of less educated people for personal gain and trying to justify it with pseudoscientific bullshit (as opposed to religious bullshit which at least is par the course). It not advancing humanities interests at all because its hard to advance scientifically whiles its easy to advance stupidly. And all this is taking place after humanity already shot itself in the foot and is just starting to rebuild while actual bona fide aliens and nigh-invincible monster are showing up (I swear if those Cazadores start breeding rapidly or figure out how to fly up farther than five feet off the ground then I hope the dominant military force humanity has is more than a bunch of roman cosplayers carrying machetes).

Actually, its an example of shit writing. The factions aren't supposed to be thoughtful explorations of human nature in extremis; they're just goons.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Why don't people just follow the guy in front of Nellis's advice and just follow the few houses along the left of the road into Nellis? That's how I got through and it didn't take too much effort.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Post by Chaotic Neutral »

Mind Fragment #7375827562846002385072 wrote:
Entry # 1
Not good at all! The rift has stranded me on a backwater that's already destroyed itself with thermonuclear weapons! I may not be able to repair my escape pod.
Entry # 2
I've decided to take the form of a human female, I've been using the MK84E G.H.O.S.T. armor, as all the others were destroyed. From what I've discovered, the inhabitants went to war over 200 years ago, but the radiation is as if it happened yesterday! I hate physics changes while traveling.
Entry # 3
The survivors set up a functioning economy centered around the remains of Las Vegas. It's incredible there are still enough gamblers with resources to support it. Regardless, becoming rich was as easy as using a bit of telekinesis. I've bought all the weaponry and ammunition I could carry, and I've found a map leading to a heavily armored dwelling in a cave.
Entry # 4
Giving massive upgrades to the energy weapons of this planet was extremely simple. I've managed to make an almost unbreakable automatic directed energy weapon that completely ignores the armor of every thing I've encountered thus far.
Entry # 5
While exploring my surroundings, I've come across a Tau Etheral hiding in shelter. He had a Tyranid Impaler Cannon, as well as a Gauss Blaster and Flayer in storage. He said he was stranded and needed energy storage devices from this planet. The rift must have torn a deeper hole than I thought, I was nowhere near that forsaken place during the battle. I will need to leave this planet soon. I was hoping to start a galactic empire, but I guess I'll need to do somewhere else.
Entry # 6
I've found a storage facility with an army of automatons, after enhancing them,I should be able to dominate this wasteland, and scavenge enough parts to be gone within the year. Hopefully there will be no one in orbit, as creating strong weapons and shields will take a few dozen years.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

ok is it just me or does some of this area direly need a hippy bus from Call To Power....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:*Mind Fragment Stuff*
What the hell?
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

If other people get to make a New Vegas story, so do I.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

lol, at least my story fit in the overall story. Your's is, what, something involving Warhammer?
Chaotic Neutral
Jedi Knight

Gotta love modding. ;)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Oh, god, I've been shot.

No, wait, I'm still alive. Either that or the afterlife is a really crappy Doctor's office. Okay, Robot found me, and this guy healed me, fair enough. Wait, am I a boy or girl? What kind of question is that? How badly was I hit?
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Chaotic Neutral wrote:Gotta love modding. ;)

There's ALREADY a 40k mod? Jesus Christ, warhammer fans are rabid.