I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fallout)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Re: I went to Vegas but all I got was shot in the face (Fall

Post by Chardok »

I'm finding this to be quite a bit more channelging than FO3. I'm totally in Hardcore, playing on Hard, and geting crippled and having Stimpaks heal over time dfefinitely adds an element of scary to the game that was missing from FO3. I find myself actually thinking about the inventory I carry with me, as well. (5 waters? Check. 5 meals? check. 50-100 rounds various ammo? check. Rifle, sidearm, alternate rifle? check. Shovel? check. 20 stimpaks, 3 radaway, and armor? Check.) I just discovered that you can send crap via mojave express, which is nice, I'm sending loads of crap to my house in Novac. Can't wait to get to NV so I can get my REAL house.

Question: Is the REPCONN quest "easy"? I need to level up and clear out the legion camp without getting fragged quite so quickly (I can take out the initial slaver scum, but when the assassins show up, I end up swiss'd toot suite.). are there loads of reavers and other scary ghoul types in there? 'Cause, well, let's just say I'm a smooth talker, but not a smooth fighter.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Go to Novac and recruit the follower from there, your combat troubles will be lessened greatly.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Pulp Hero wrote:Go to Novac and recruit the follower from there, your combat troubles will be lessened greatly.

Don't you have to lockpick a safe or some other nonsense to get him to come with? I heard Boone is godlike from a friend of mine who said he put power armor on him and a superledge in his hand and just turned him loose in Caesar's camp while he drank a sunset sasparilla and simply enjoyed the show.
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

You do have to lockpick, I think that it is an "easy" lockpick which only requires a skill of 25. I always make characters with a least a little bit of lockpicking skill.

Boone is godlike with any kind of longarm, which is great because it is letting me put skillpoints into more interesting things without having to worry about upping my "guns" skill just to stay alive.

I am really enjoying this game the more I play, the quests given by the various factions don't make me roll my eyes and think "How lazy and stupid are these people?" and the fact that various skills you have (survival, explosive, medical, etc.) determine conversation options is a nice touch.

I also like how the vaults are difficult to explore (Fuck Vault 22) in FNV, explaining why scavengers haven't cleaned them out, unlike in FO3 where an NPC will just be like "Legend tells of a mysterious cache of valuable pre-war equipment in a vault, but no one has found it." and the vault is like a half mile away and barely concealed.

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

And Veronica continues to glitch, ugh. I just finished her mission, got ambushed by a bunch of BoS paladins outside the bunker and rushed inside to fend them off. When I moved to go out again she vanished.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Use console commands. Seriously. Unless you are hung up on Steam archivements, they make some bugs more bearable. Simply go into console mode, select your character while you can still see him/her, write down the ref number and when you glitch, write "prid <ref number>" then "moveto player" and presto, he/she is right next to you.

Very nifty when walking cross-country on buggy terrain.

Energy weapons isn't that a bad choice later on, once I got my hands on some plasma weapons. With my high-level science skill, getting the Q-35 was a breeze and even fun a bit (apparently Rococo has no idea that you can recycle radioactive waste). I even managed to get my first deathclaw.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zixinus wrote:Use console commands. Seriously. Unless you are hung up on Steam archivements, they make some bugs more bearable. Simply go into console mode, select your character while you can still see him/her, write down the ref number and when you glitch, write "prid <ref number>" then "moveto player" and presto, he/she is right next to you.
There are no console commands on the 360.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Question: Is the REPCONN quest "easy"? I need to level up and clear out the legion camp without getting fragged quite so quickly (I can take out the initial slaver scum, but when the assassins show up, I end up swiss'd toot suite.). are there loads of reavers and other scary ghoul types in there? 'Cause, well, let's just say I'm a smooth talker, but not a smooth fighter.
There's some Nightkin in the basement there, they'll be your main problem (if you avoid killing any of them you can talk to their leader and resolve the situation without violence). They're poorly armed (in Normal, anyway, all they had was Rebar Clubs).The feral ghouls and feral ghoul roamers in the main building are no trouble.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Console vs PC bullshit split and HOSed. If you want to argue about it, go there.

Nitram's playing the "Confirmed Bachelor" perk, and it's getting some REALLY INTERESTING dialog with some of the NPCs.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

[XB360] Just encountered a bug that means its impossible for me to get back into the Vegas strip. FUUUUUUUUU-

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Pulp Hero wrote:[XB360] Just encountered a bug that means its impossible for me to get back into the Vegas strip. FUUUUUUUUU-
Such as?
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

People of the Wastes, hear me!

I have taken the war to the legion. Their encroachment of Cottonwood lays empty, the air heavy with the tick of radiation. The Fort, the unassailable throne of the mighty Caesar, is now a monument to his arrogance. I have laid waste to his inner sanctum. I have worn his armor, held his lifeless head in my hands as I sat upon his throne. With my companion, Craig Boone, former First Recon Battalion, we have left Caesar as a headless, limbless corpse, sitting infront of his home. The Praetorian Guard was no match for the righteous striking hand of the two headed bear. The battle cattle are leaderless!
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

General Zod wrote:
Pulp Hero wrote:[XB360] Just encountered a bug that means its impossible for me to get back into the Vegas strip. FUUUUUUUUU-
Such as?
I've been going in and out of the Strip regularly with a forged passport, I load up a game today and the gate says "Locked". The passport is still my inventory and the securitrons still see me as friendly, but I can't get in.

This is a known bug on all platforms. The only possible workaround on a console is to go into Vegas by the monorail, but I've already done the quest which destroys the monorail, so basically, I'm fucked.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Pulp Hero wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Such as?
I've been going in and out of the Strip regularly with a forged passport, I load up a game today and the gate says "Locked". The passport is still my inventory and the securitrons still see me as friendly, but I can't get in.

This is a known bug on all platforms. The only possible workaround on a console is to go into Vegas by the monorail, but I've already done the quest which destroys the monorail, so basically, I'm fucked.
Oh. I never even bothered with the forged passport. I was able to get into the strip without any trouble at all.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Agent Fisher wrote:People of the Wastes, hear me!

I have taken the war to the legion. Their encroachment of Cottonwood lays empty, the air heavy with the tick of radiation. The Fort, the unassailable throne of the mighty Caesar, is now a monument to his arrogance. I have laid waste to his inner sanctum. I have worn his armor, held his lifeless head in my hands as I sat upon his throne. With my companion, Craig Boone, former First Recon Battalion, we have left Caesar as a headless, limbless corpse, sitting infront of his home. The Praetorian Guard was no match for the righteous striking hand of the two headed bear. The battle cattle are leaderless!

This is why I love FO3 and FONV. This game CREATES story from it's non-story. When someone is inspired enough to write a tale of their exploits like this, it's a mark that the devs have done right by their fanbase. That is a beautiful recount, Fisher. May you have many more!
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I haven't even gotten that far yet. I'm trying to do as much side-stuff as I can before tackling the endgame. (Sadly the side-stuff seems to be the most glitched).
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

With cold and stealthy precision, I have murdered every single occupant of Vault 21 without the slightest suspicion that it was I, the feared Gladius Slasher! Ha ha!

Incidentally, my karma remains quite positive, despite committing many dreadful acts of accidental clipboard theft.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Nephtys wrote:With cold and stealthy precision, I have murdered every single occupant of Vault 21 without the slightest suspicion that it was I, the feared Gladius Slasher! Ha ha!

Incidentally, my karma remains quite positive, despite committing many dreadful acts of accidental clipboard theft.
I was rather surprised that when I stealth-boy killed a hapless sleeping guest of the Ultra-Luxe to steal a dress for Veronica my karma didn't drop a bit.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I like explosives, lockpicking, and stealth....

strangely people keep spontaneously exploding around here, it's a stragne vent...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I decided to catch up with gaming (haven't really played many games since HL1) and just finished FO3 which I defintely liked. Then I was gonna buy New Vegas because it has so many awesome gun related things like handloading and whatnot, but damn 49.95 euros, thats just replacing the $ with an € sign. I found a G2Play deal that was much better (36 euros) but it's all out of stock :(
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The reward for getting all of the necessary Blue Star caps? So. Awesome.

You'll know it when you see it.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

How the hell haven't I encountered any weapon mods yet? :|
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Ryan Thunder wrote:How the hell haven't I encountered any weapon mods yet? :|
They don't seem terribly common. So far all I've come across are scopes for laser rifles and a cowboy repeater mod.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Last night I found a place selling extended mags for plasma weapons.

Question:
Spoiler
In the Come Fly With Me mission - you have the option to access the navigation panel by passing a science check. I did not pass it, so I just launched the rockets - what can you do if you access the navigation panel?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

You get more karma (I think) and extra XP if you alter the trajectory on the panel.