World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Although as I recall the premium Churchill is actually a decent moneymaker, even if you don't get too many kills in it, especially since I believe it's cheap to repair as well.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Man the MS-1 is such a piece of shit.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

T1 Tanks should have their own matches and never be allowed into any other matches. I was playing my AT-1 and was about to score a kill when some T1 moron rammed the tank I was shooting at. Not only was I now a minus one the tank I was about to kill managed to track me and allow the other tanks moving to my flank to finish me off.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Norade wrote:T1 Tanks should have their own matches and never be allowed into any other matches. I was playing my AT-1 and was about to score a kill when some T1 moron rammed the tank I was shooting at. Not only was I now a minus one the tank I was about to kill managed to track me and allow the other tanks moving to my flank to finish me off.
Well I wouldn't say by themselves, but I do think you should never run into a tank more than two tiers above your own. Had a couple games in my PzIII where I ran into MS-1 and Loltraktors, needless to say they didn't last long. I don't like the idea that newbies wouldn't run into stiff opposition since it's best to be prepared for it early, at the same time you don't want them overwhelmed by a monster that they have no chance to even hurt.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

That's how it used to be, there were "Recruits Battles" that were Tier 1 and 2 exclusively, before level-matching was implemented. And even then a BT-2 bearing down on you with a 23mm VJa is pretty devastating.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I got the 88mm L56 gun for my VK3601. Now I can reliably damage most of the heavies and one-shot PzIII's and smaller.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Rightous Fist Of Heaven
Jedi Master

Post by Rightous Fist Of Heaven »

Mr. Coffee wrote:I got the 88mm L56 gun for my VK3601. Now I can reliably damage most of the heavies and one-shot PzIII's and smaller.
I still keep my VK3601 with that gun even after getting the Tiger. It can reliably inflict damage even upto IS-4's and Tiger II's with that gun. Once you get your crew to 100%, the real fun starts.
"The ones they built at the height of nuclear weapons could knock the earth out of its orbit" - Physics expert Envy in reference to the hydrogen bombs built during the cold war.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Once I get my registration code, I'll be joining in.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I've dumped my PzIII/IV. Fuck that thing. I was dying to targets I pissed on with my PzIII. Sold the PoS and bought an !-20 to continue the T-44 line of tanks, while keeping my PzIII for fun and profit. I'll likely not buy another German tank and start focusing all my money and free XP from my PzIII to the Russian medium line.

So now, rather than death-grinding the III/IV, I'll have the 50/50 win-loss in an A-20 as I xp up the tree, and the total hell and destruction I dish out with the PzIII.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I'm in as TheDark...got one of the Valentine codes
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Highlord Laan wrote:I've dumped my PzIII/IV. Fuck that thing. I was dying to targets I pissed on with my PzIII. Sold the PoS and bought an !-20 to continue the T-44 line of tanks, while keeping my PzIII for fun and profit. I'll likely not buy another German tank and start focusing all my money and free XP from my PzIII to the Russian medium line.

So now, rather than death-grinding the III/IV, I'll have the 50/50 win-loss in an A-20 as I xp up the tree, and the total hell and destruction I dish out with the PzIII.
The PzIII/IV blows goat. If you're wanting to get to the Panther it's more fun going to the VK3601 and then over to the VK3001 and then the VK3002. Reason I'm in the VK3006 right nowis because I'm about 28kXP away from the Tiger.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Narkis
Padawan Learner

Post by Narkis »

I started playing too. I'm Narkis, strangely enough. Started with the German TD line, until I got to the Hetzer. That POS couldn't penetrate a thing and died horribly to everything else. So I'm currently slowly climbing the Russian heavy tree. Much better.

I also went on the SPG tree, just to see them first hand. And they're totally ridiculous. I'm raining death from above with my satellite view, and racking up kills, XP and money like there's no tomorrow. Something really needs to change here, even if it's just renaming the game to "World of Artillery"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Narkis wrote:I also went on the SPG tree, just to see them first hand. And they're totally ridiculous. I'm raining death from above with my satellite view, and racking up kills, XP and money like there's no tomorrow. Something really needs to change here, even if it's just renaming the game to "World of Artillery"
Yeah...I just took out a Jagdpanzer IV with a Bison
BattleTech for SilCore
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

What the Christ are you guys smoking? The PzIII/IV is a PzIII on crack. Its only disadvantage is that it's higher tier than the PzIII and thus gets slightly more ridiculous suicide matches (IS-4s and VK45s instead of IS-3s and Kingtigers). Except for slightly lower top speed, it has better armor, equal or greater maneuverability in most circumstances (it turns on a DIME), and a 75/48 instead of the 50/60, which being larger caliber is a little less accurate on the move and takes a little longer to load, but is otherwise superior.

If you're hating the III/IV, you are seriously doing it wrong.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I just ran into Blayne in WoT. And before you ask, yes, he's an arty nub and a really inaccurate one at that.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Being great in arty requires teammates who are not pants on head retarded. I spent ten rounds today with my StrumIII and have used exactly eight shells and gotten zero kills. Why? Because BT7's and Luchs or worse Lepoards rush on round-start my team mates ignore them and they get 1-4 easy artillery. There was a round for example it went down 15-1. As in we lost one tank on roundstart to a 50mm equipped Luchs (Me) and killed all 15 of them without any losses.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

I've always found artillery more annoying than truly threatening.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

DTurtle, General Schatten, and myself had a great time platooned up and using voice comms. We had a few "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over" matches, but we had a couple that were like we opened a three tank can of whoopass. Me and Schatt were rocking the VK36's and Turtle was in his PzIV, hopefully he gets the XP to go to the VK36 here soon and then it'll be the next best thing to having a Panther platoon running around. If we died before the match ended we'd switch over to lights and go fuck about.

Also, if you want to have some fun and pretty much troll the entire match, get two friends in larger medium tanks and wait till you're on that one winter map with river running north-south that only has three bridges to get across it. Have a a guy go to each bridge, turn the tank sideways and just sit there shooting at what you can till you die. If you're fast enough you can prevent both teams from being able to take cap or do anything other than snipe at each other across the river for 15mins. Hilarity ensues.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Man, Dturtle, Aggressive, and myself are in a match and Turtle has like 2hp left in his PzIV and a broken engine and a Grille player asks him to scout out an IS-4 .
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

That was hilarious :D

But I have to agree - playing this with voice comms is a million times betters than without it. I'm kinda surprised they don't have anything implemented in-game. Now they just have to increase platoon size a bit and it would be even better.

And I finally have my VK3601H, so far just with the L70, but the 8.8 will have to wait a bit.

One additional tip: You keep all of the modules/shells from all your old tanks - you can sell all of those you don't need for quite a bit of money - Schatten and I each got about 150-200k credits.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Just bought a T28, both for the hell of it, and because I want to be able to fight IS's on their own terms at some point. Still running my A20 and PzIII though.

Though if another situationally-unaware Leopard runs into me again, I'm going to go on a TKing spree.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's probably no built-in voice chat because 90% of games that have such suck so bad everyone uses third-party stuff anyway.
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Highlord Laan wrote:Just bought a T28, both for the hell of it, and because I want to be able to fight IS's on their own terms at some point. Still running my A20 and PzIII though.

Though if another situationally-unaware Leopard runs into me again, I'm going to go on a TKing spree.
You should've just spent all that XP on the medium tree.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

D.Turtle wrote:That was hilarious :D

But I have to agree - playing this with voice comms is a million times betters than without it. I'm kinda surprised they don't have anything implemented in-game. Now they just have to increase platoon size a bit and it would be even better.

And I finally have my VK3601H, so far just with the L70, but the 8.8 will have to wait a bit.

One additional tip: You keep all of the modules/shells from all your old tanks - you can sell all of those you don't need for quite a bit of money - Schatten and I each got about 150-200k credits.
Speak for yourself, I got around 360k :lol: .