Most annoying starcraft II unit

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

What is the 3 most annoying unit in the SCII beta?

Reapers
19%
Void Rays
26%
Zerglings
15%
Zealots
No votes
Battlecruisers
11%
Roaches
7%
Banshees
11%
Colossi
7%
Stalkers
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 27

Xenophon13
Redshirt

Most annoying starcraft II unit

Post by Xenophon13 »

My vote goes to reapers.

This is also just a general SC 2 discussion thread, so, who else has the beta, and what do you think of it?
You lost the game.
'Zog? What do you mean Zog?...' -Susan Ivanova
Co-author of Starcraft: Perseus
My website
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Re: Most annoying starcraft II unit

Post by Lief »

It's like SC 1, but with (slightly) newer graphics and a couple of new units.

Not innovative really, fun for a while but I doubt I'll get as hooked on it as I did with SC1.

It still just seems like resource gather / rush towards one unit / win.

I have only played protoss (which is the race I played in the original), and void rays really do seem to be the I WIN button at the moment, though I did pull of a carrier 'rush' the other day, although I guess he was a new player.

I expected more, and don't think i'll be buying it.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Why so many votes for Void Rays? I don't know how they work in PvZ (I suspect Hydralisks shut them down without too much problems), but in PvT, a handful of Marines seems to do the trick.

My vote goes to Banshees and Banelings.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Xenophon13
Redshirt

Post by Xenophon13 »

Exonerate wrote:Why so many votes for Void Rays? I don't know how they work in PvZ (I suspect Hydralisks shut them down without too much problems), but in PvT, a handful of Marines seems to do the trick.

My vote goes to Banshees and Banelings.
Void rays tend to attack your base from behind just as you leave to attack someone else, and are good at plowing through one's economy.
You lost the game.
My website
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Infestors make me rage to no end. "Here come my Battlecruisers, no, ha ha, just kidding, they're his now. And now my army is dead. Awesome."

Void Rays are pretty easy to counter. If you tech to Vikings and keep them out of range, you're good, or if you keep Marines handy with maybe some turret support, you're also good. Even if you turret only gets off two or three shots before it's melted, it's usually enough to push back. Where they really suck are when they start wiping expansions. They'll melt structures so quickly it's not even funny.

Banshees are totally dick, though, especially against a Zerg player who has neglected to get an overseer.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I have a few related questions: is there a select limit; what, if any, are the pop caps; and how long does it take to collect a good amount of resources?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Srelex wrote:I have a few related questions: is there a select limit;
No. It shows three rows of 8 units each, with several tabs on the left when more than 24 units are selected.
what, if any, are the pop caps;
200 supply, like in SC, with larger/more advanced units taking more than one supply.
and how long does it take to collect a good amount of resources?
Well, depends on how much harassing, etc. takes place. I think the fastest I saw someone hit 200/200 was within 8 or 9 minutes - but that is unusual.
Interpreting the question as how long games take, from looking at shoutcasts, I would guess that a "normal" games takes between 8-15 minutes, with 30 minutes as the absolute maximum.
chris0101
Redshirt

Post by chris0101 »

It would depend on the context, the type of map, and the style of the players. I suspect that even though Void Rays are on top, none of the others have a decisive vote over the others because of all of the variables.
Xenophon13
Redshirt

Post by Xenophon13 »

Just thought i'd bring this up now that SC2 is actually out. Now I say Void rays.
You lost the game.
My website
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And now you get locked for necromancy.

Especially since this whole thread was rather worthless.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs