Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

since only snakemen and crysalids reproduce normally....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

Maybe that's why the rest of 'em attacked Earth. For some decent entertainment, and the Snakemen and Chrysalids got dragged along, like always happens when your mates want to have some fun.

Whether you want to take that as "Attacking Earth is the entertainment" or "They couldn't get a video rental card due to having no valid ID, and it escalated, now they're attacking Earth so they can live here, have valid ID, and be able to rent whatever videos they goddamn well please, and doesn't that show you, stupid video store clerk who won't take universal ID - it's universal, it works anywhere, that's the point!", is up to you.
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Post by CaiusWickersham »

Director's Log: Toyotomi, Amaya
Timecode: 01.06.1999 0800 GMT

We have begun to understand how the UFOs operate. We have figured out how their ship reactors and navigation work. We're almost finished figuring out how the ships operate as a cohesive whole. With this knowledge, Vehrec tells me we can construct something that begins to match their capabilities.
We've noticed UFO activity picking up in South America and sent our ships to investigate. We were able to capture another of the large three-tiered ships we snagged earlier in the month from Snakemen. In that recovery mission, we finally lost Sgt. Karin. Phred also chased another model that showed up very large on the radar and reported it bristling with weapons. Taking caution, he followed it until he ran low on fuel. This makes six confirmed types of UFO.
((Author's note: for those playing at home, we've seen all three sizes of scout craft, an abductor, a supply ship and a battleship so far))
The Australian base has also been staffed and they will receive laser rifles and armor from the workshops here. In preparation for some large projects, I've brought in more engineers and am having a second workshop built.
Phred found something new on his patrols near Argentina. We sent our team in on May 28th to investigate.
ADDENDUM -- MISSION TRANSCRIPT
Weemadando: At least it's light in here. Which group built this base?
Karrick: My money's on Snakemen. We've been catching their ships in this area.
Cpl Kendall: Naah, Sectoids. They've been here the longest.
VX-145: I call floaters!
Weemadando: Everyone spread out.
Maria: WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING?
Joviwan: Guys, looks like we have a fourth species.
Weemadando: Oh, bugger. Watch yourselves, guys.
Hawkwings: Hey, there's snakemen in here too. Then what was that thing?
VX-145: I don'y know, but . . . hey, there's one coming at me! Hey keep awa . . . ::gagging::
Weemadando: VX? ::pause:: VX, respond! ::silence:: Shit!
Maria: More snakemen over here. ::alien gunshot:: AAAH!
Karrick: Hey, this one's new. Wait, it looks like VX and he looks all freaky.
Weemadando: We can't take any more chances after that Sectoid incident. Kill him!
Karrick: Never liked him anyway. ::laser rifle shots:: Got him! Hey, what's that thing?
Joviwan: Whatever it is, it's dead! ::laser rifle shots:: Killed it!
Vendetta: Found another one. It's probably the one that killed VX. ::laser rifle shots:: It's down, but I didn't hear a scream. Let's let the Bear take a look at it.
Command: Negative on that. It did something to VX, we're not taking the risk of another loss to it.
Joviwan: Kill it with fire! ::grenade explodes:: Jovi likes big boom.
Vendetta: I don't know about these stun bombs. They seem to do fuck all to these xenos.
Eleas: The stun rods aren't much better on the snakemen. They're just tougher, most likely. Hey, some of these have some sort of weird launcher.
TRANSCRIPT END
Destroying that base put us back on the council's good side, but it seems there's still one more base out there. My bet is it's in northern Asia somewhere. Our Interceptors don't have the range for adequate patrols there yet. June is going to be spent looking for that other base.
((Author's note: Doing this now so I won't have to worry about it over the Super Bowl. Current cast:
X-COM Central:
Col. weemadando
Bluewolf (back from dead)
Capt. Cpl Kendall
Sgt. OmegaChief (wounded)
Capt. Karrick
Sgt. Eleas
Joviwan
Sgt. Vendetta

USA:
JonB
Darkdrium
White Haven
Rekkon
MKSheppard

Australia:
wautd
Coalition
Ryan Thunder
ForceLord (as Marco Sanchez)
Torben
Reckless Prudence

KIA: VX-145 -- face full of Chryssalid Wing-Wong
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

So Cpl Kendall is now Capt Cpl Kendall?

Sounds like something out of WH40K. :lol:
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
VX-145
Padawan Learner

Post by VX-145 »

Dead already? Oh well, there's another few hundred VXs out there...

If you DO get another VX guy (it's VX-146 now :lol:) I think he's just happy to be left alone after the last one got... "attacked" by a chrysallid and shot in the back by his teammates.

At least it wasn't the tank that did it.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Oh yea, Sgt!

And wounded again, I'm just going to have a bed on reserve in the Med Bay from now on.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

OmegaChief wrote:Oh yea, Sgt!

And wounded again, I'm just going to have a bed on reserve in the Med Bay from now on.
Just because Dr. Bear has exacting standards in nursing staff doesn't mean you should try and get sent to sickbay.
The Yosemite Bear

yesss, yesss, zee beasts vill be bred and slaughtered, vee shall create a safe home for humanity in case of zee worst of zeees alien attacks, by building under grounds yessss.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

From the personal diaries of Commiss...wait...wrong story...

Dear Mom and Dad,

Guess what? I've been assigned to a new super-secret force to help make the world safer! And, before you ask, I have been taking my meds. They've stationed me in Australia, which is really cool, cause I've always wanted to go there, and I've been told they have good beer, too. Remember when I was a kid and always wanted to play with fireworks? Well, they've assigned me to a grenadier unit so I can blow things up! Anyway, gotta go finish packing and get to the base for my flight.

Love,

Torben

PS - can you feed Skippy for me, and make sure to clean his cage.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Throw me in if you need another body, in whatever role you need. I haven't been horribly killed in one of these in ages.
JonB
Padawan Learner

Post by JonB »

Have I seen any action yet?
Saving the Earth by Trying Not to Blow the Shit Out of It:
Let's Play UFO:Alien Invasion (v2.3.1)
Karrick
Youngling

Post by Karrick »

Captain!? How the heck have I survived that long?

Timmy,

I hope everything's been okay in Washington since the attack. You have to be strong now, mom and dad won't be able to help you any more. You have to live, Timmy, and be strong for our sister's sake. I know you hate the aliens as much as I do, but for now you have to take care of Sally. Ours wasn't the only family to suffer; there are plenty of recruits.

I was busy beating one of the monsters to death when the mission commander stopped me, slapped me on the back, and pinned some new rank bars on. Apparently the freak was important. I don't care though, I'm gonna kill all those grey bastards I can find. For mom and dad.

Your brother,
Karrick
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Jesus. I've gotten promoted. This is sweet.

Dear diary,

Tomorrow, Doctors Nitram and Bear unveiled their latest collaboration in combatting the alien menace endquote. Brass says the xenos used some sort of alien mindfuck ray on Ando, V and Vendetta, and that was what made them go apeshit the other week, apparently. I never noticed a thing myself, except that V wasn't chewing his gum, which was weird.

Anyway, protection can't hurt. Looking at the crate, it says "PSI Screen, experimental" on it. Huh. My life gets weirder by the day.

Oookay. I'm not sure how this is going to help. What's this, a... teddy bear. With usage instructions on the side. Oh, cool, there's the rifle. And... a cape. Lame. Hm, not a rubber cape. Looks like whitish leather, with a discolored part like an... electric burn. Like it's from a stun prod... wait...

I'm gonna hit the bunk for a while. God, this place. Sometimes I think I'm the only sane guy left. Sorry, didn't mean to be like that. Don't cry. You're my friend, aren't you, mr Teddy?

Hold me.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Pilot's log: Stardate.. I'll have to ask one those aliens they're keeping down in the basement.

Arg, I hate letting stuff get away. When do I get an upgrade for this plane I'm flying? All the new tech is going to the ground crew, and I'm stuck with this Sopwith Camel. I know, they need every edge they can get, but there was no way I was going to take down something that big in my tinfoil box with wings.

Oh well. At least I got to discover an alien base. Maybe they'll find me some toys to play with in there.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

JonB wrote:Have I seen any action yet?
Not yet. However, because the Central crew is getting pretty top-heavy, especially once the Asia base is fully up and running, I will be doing some staff shuffling to get people some combat experience. And then there's always the psi training.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

CaiusWickersham wrote:And then there's always the psi training.
Pretty lights... so pretty...

*rocks slowly back and forth in his bunk*
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
The Yosemite Bear

loads cows and goats into base for psi training.

now where can we get cool energy swords?

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

CaiusWickersham wrote:Australia:
wautd
The plot tickens...

Wait, what? Australia?
So apart from dying from thirst, poisonous spiders, poisonous snakes, box-jellyfish, Mad road warriors, black sheep, poisonous scorpions, Australians, hungry crocodiles and boxing kangaroos I now have aliens to worry about as well. Thanks a lot.
Actually, adding aliens into the equation probably makes the average dangerlevel not quite as bad.
JonB
Padawan Learner

Post by JonB »

CaiusWickersham wrote:
JonB wrote:Have I seen any action yet?
Not yet. However, because the Central crew is getting pretty top-heavy, especially once the Asia base is fully up and running, I will be doing some staff shuffling to get people some combat experience. And then there's always the psi training.
I will start praying to the RNG for a Psi score of over 80. Over 90 if I'm lucky, and really good with my offerings.
Saving the Earth by Trying Not to Blow the Shit Out of It:
Let's Play UFO:Alien Invasion (v2.3.1)
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

From the journal of Chief Engineer "Sir" Nitram.

I should never have mentioned I hold a Doctorate. Now I'm getting called 'Doctor' all the time. Do I look like that psychopath with the scalpel and torture implements? Or one of those eggheads in the research lab?

Speaking of. I have learned true hate, now. I hold it for the science division. It's beyond ridiculous. 'Hey, we worked out the math and elements involved in this antimatter reactor. Just throw one together for us to check, please?' 'Hey, we figured out this ball is a neural scanner? You can make new ones, right?' 'Hey, it looks like the right genetics for psi power is in humans! Be a good lad and throw together a lab for us to screen people in.'

Medical has tripled my doses and replaced my trusty wrench with a stun rod. I'd complain, but now I get to see my victims scream and their hair stand on end.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
The Yosemite Bear

wautd wrote:
CaiusWickersham wrote:Australia:
wautd
The plot tickens...

Wait, what? Australia?
So apart from dying from thirst, poisonous spiders, poisonous snakes, box-jellyfish, Mad road warriors, black sheep, poisonous scorpions, Australians, hungry crocodiles and boxing kangaroos I now have aliens to worry about as well. Thanks a lot.
Actually, adding aliens into the equation probably makes the average dangerlevel not quite as bad.
At least it wasn't NZ then you would get sheep shagging, aliens building fast food franchises, exploding sheep, Orcs, and other problems

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Ah, here we go, I'm in again. I wonder if I'll die of smoke inhalation like last time. XD
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

You know, since we've all seen a bit of classic X-COM UFO Defense being LP'ed around here, how about a narrative campaign for X-COM Apocalypse, the 3rd in the series that's substantially different? I'm wondering what the interest level would be in following that game. It's quite different than UFO Defense, being focused around protecting a single futuristic city from a new extra-dimensional threat.

It features vehicle combat in city limits, and human organizations that you can attack or can attack you, and more destructable terrain. Also, androids.
RecklessPrudence
Padawan Learner
Location: Largest Island, Sol III - invasion not recommended, terrain and wildlife extremely hostile.

Post by RecklessPrudence »

I'd definitely be interested in that! I've never been sure which of those two I preferred, but I've always enjoyed both. Especially if there were some cyborg veterans/uploaded/reconstructed from historical records personalities/something else from this game (or Peptuck's).
Yes, I know my username is an oxyMORON, thankyou for pointing that out, you're very clever.

MEMBER: Evil Autistic Conspiracy. Working everyday to get as many kids immunized as possible to grow our numbers.

'I don't believe in gunship diplomacy, but a couple of battleships in low orbit over my enemy's capital can't but help negotiations.'
CaiusWickersham
Padawan Learner

Thing is, I don't like Apocalypse. I tried playing it, but couldn't get into it with the constant crashing and the complete alteration of the storyline. For me, the X-COM canon is UFO Defense/EU & TFTD. If you're looking for an Apocalypse LP to read, there's GuavaMoment's work on the LP Archive.